before…

April 15, 2008

FROM ROLLING STONE.COM oct 11 2007

Busta Rhymes tells Rock Daily he’s got something special cooking for his December 4th album Back on My BS: a song with Linkin Park called “It Looks Like We Made It” that’s produced by Cool and Dre. “It feels like Rocky won the fight or something,” he says of the triumphant track. “It reminds the people who are successful to go and help those that haven’t been so successful, and represent the unity between people. This song speaks volumes to the globe — it ain’t just about the ‘hood, it ain’t just about the suburbs, it’s about everybody. This is one of those songs that can’t be described better than touching the souls of the common people.”

Backstage at last weekend’s Boost Mobile RockCorps concert, Rhymes says Back on My BS will hearken back to the golden age of hip-hop, and that he picked out the title “because people haven’t seen the Busta Rhymes that they have grown to know and love.” “Not that they haven’t been getting the traditional party records, ’cause I always do that better than anything,” he clarified, “but the whole thing when I come out with the outfits, the hat, the coat.” So what does that mean for the LP? “I’m promising the same track record I always set for myself, which is the phenomenal collaborations that people don’t usually do before I do ‘em, to continue as a legacy,” he says, momentarily forgetting the Jay-Z/Linkin Park album Collision Course. “You can definitely expect something super duper stellar. Hot energy joints and songs that are a little bit more approachable aren’t going to feel as dark, even though I got a lot of situations to talk about, ’cause of the last year. I still have so much to be happy for.”

The situations Busta refers to are likely his myriad looming court dates. “I’m trying to resolve the legal situation,” he says, turning to wax philosphical on larger legal issues: the Congressional hip-hop hearings. “They’re getting ready to pass laws on what we are and aren’t allowed to say,” he says, quite alarmed. “That’s totally against what the United States Constitution is. In the eyes of the U.S. government, we’re undesirables cause we don’t have a birthright. And it’s unfortunate but this is a real thing that not a lot of people are aware of.”

UPDATE: In what has to be one of the best denials ever, Busta Rhymes’ spokesperson tamped down the rapper’s Linkin Park collaboration with the following statement:

“Busta as we all know, is a very high-energy creative artist, who is constantly thinking about a million ideas and ways to push the creative envelope – especially with his music and collaborations. He mentioned Linkin Park, but by no means is there a deal or plan in place to work together on this album. That was an incorrect statement.”

Natalie Zfat

1. AnVanoppens on April 19, 2008 at 1:44 pm

[]/[]ike

2. AnVanoppens on April 19, 2008 at 1:39 pm

it’s going to be great! that’s for sure

3. nillp on April 16, 2008 at 7:15 pm

this one is going to be sick. ~[in a great mood, for sure]~

4. vanessa_6487 on April 16, 2008 at 4:48 pm

wow… i can’t wait for it… i know its going to b great as all the things that LP does…. i want to hear it now ;]… great collaboration ;]

att.Vanessa
    xoxoxo

5. Shinizzle3 on April 16, 2008 at 10:49 am

but you also said you gónna do sométhing with timbaland, didn’t you?
    but i think this song with busta will be better than anything you could do with timbaland!!
    [please come to EAST germany!! you’ve NEVER been there!!]
    you are the best!♥♥♥♥

6. zahra on April 16, 2008 at 6:10 am

OMG!!!!!! thats BIG! wow i really cant wait to see what you guys have been up to…hey ..i will bee waiting..

7. NurBACK on April 16, 2008 at 1:50 am

cant wait…Mike pls tell us that isn’t true(about updated news).Busta Rhymes it’s cool rapper + Mega Cool Linkin Park=BOMB :)))

8. linkinparc on April 16, 2008 at 1:09 am

will you perform with pharell or lupe fiasco on PR: Europe?

that would be soo kick ass =D

and about the song:

I hope it’s gonna be a number one track, and you will get sooo many awards…haha no just kiddin…YOU don’t need awards to know that you have success…you have us, your fans…

=D

9. minuteforce on April 15, 2008 at 11:37 pm

it’s happened, so far as i know. names of both the album and track have changed but it’s happened. what i wanna know is whether “linkin park” is actually on the track or if it’s just mike producing. i know mike and chester are appearing in the video.

10. soyuneik on April 15, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Sound interesting. Gonna assume that its a definite.
    As for screwing around with freedom of speech…I see a riot. I thought they were seriously joking when they came up with that law about baggy pants. Shit is getting ridiculous. Now their gonna tell people how they can and can’t where there cloths? Geez. Best believe I’ll be in that riot.

11. shinoda_me on April 15, 2008 at 11:24 pm

and freaking COME TO INDIA okay???

(im still excited about this track… yay! for Linkin Park! )

12. shinoda_me on April 15, 2008 at 11:22 pm

AND WHAT THE HELL IS WITH POSTING SUCH A HUGE FIRST LINE!!!! i was scrolling forever!!!! X-(

looks like you have fun driving us crazy Mike .. =)

13. Giselle on April 15, 2008 at 11:21 pm

Looking forward to hearing the track, it sounds like an interesting collaboration – assuming of course that it is Busta Rhymes whose information we can trust and not his publicist😉 haha

14. shinoda_me on April 15, 2008 at 11:20 pm

YAY FIRST POST!!❤

this shit is awesome!!!😀😀😀😀

and thanks for posting again!

im looking forward to this one!🙂