race marketing

April 21, 2008

BOY 1: “dude, bro, check out my new laptop, it’s totally awesome!”
BOY 2: “fa sho’, it’s off the chain!”.
BOY 1: “rad. now we can stay in touch, write reports to keep up our awesome grades, and play super sweet video games when we’re done with our homework!”
BOY 2: “dat’s wussup!”

this isn’t from a real ad, but you’ve seen ads like it. they crack me up. it says, “our product is the nucleus of a multicultural wonderworld.” but back in the day, products would just come right out and say: “Fuck it, let’s be honest here. you know who we’re marketing this to.” take this ad from the ’80s, for example:

utterly ridiculous. it’s like they slapped themselves in the face with the race card.

PS – i almost disabled commenting on this post, for fear that someone might say something racist, but decided to keep it open. that said, if you do decide to comment on this post, don’t be a dumbass.

1. outlawserenade on April 28, 2008 at 5:24 am

Anyhow, my country has somewhere around 300 ethnic groups (with distinct cultural and linguistic differences), with 5 general “tribes.” One of 5 people in Jakarta would originate from elsewhere within 1 to 3 generations. But should we make an ad that is directed to a particular tribe – say, a Central Javanese, the odds are that the ad would only reach them and them alone, and absolutely alienate other tribes, even East or West Javanese who speaks different language. Hence, in spite of us being of a single race (asian), ads here are preferred and required to be in Indonesian and not ethnic based. Ethnic-based ads simply won’t return the profit demanded from the ad.

2. outlawserenade on April 28, 2008 at 5:24 am

I think the initial purpose and intent was respect.. But there’s bound to be people who think it as offensive. Isn’t advertising’s general method is to generalize and exaggerate? I honestly doubt that the generalization can go too well unless the maker is absolutely familiar with the particular race/ethnic. Thus the elimination of generalization of particulars would be advertising’s best bet to go by without offending anyone.
    (split because I’m sucha yakker)

3. analoggirl on April 27, 2008 at 1:56 pm

What it all comes down to is respect.

Ethnic groups are homogenous, so you can’t assume that everyone is the same. You also can’t resort to stereotypes when communicating with people.

However, if you respect and understand your audiences, there’s nothing wrong with advertising to them.

That’s my opinion.

4. outlawserenade on April 27, 2008 at 1:38 am

neext part!

My theory for the racial marketing is prolly partially caused by a certain race – after the dissolution of racist economy (read: after banishment of slavery and/or after the 50s) – end up as having money to spend. Thus become a viable target for marketing. Unfortunately, with the money, the mentality of “these are for white folks, colored folks mustn’t touch!” didn’t change. Particularly with the (then) present ad that targeted caucasians. Therefore marketers feel the need to “inform” the colored people that they’re “allowed” to buy their goods, too.

5. outlawserenade on April 27, 2008 at 1:38 am

@analoggirl: (guess what, my comment go over the 700 chars, too…) I have near firm believe that ‘race marketing’ generally applies to countries who are incredibly keen to promote themselves as ‘melting pots’ and all that jargons. Unfortunately, such countries tend to have racism problems to begin with. Thus it’s prolly anthropologic. I’m probably biased, since my country is single-raced – in spite of being multiethnic and multicolored, and advertisings here never really target specific ethnic/color.

6. analoggirl on April 26, 2008 at 4:34 pm

PART 2 –

Linkin Park is a “brand” too, buoyed by CSR. The band partners with communities and charities to be responsible and relevant.

So how does CSR relate to the original issue of advertising? Companies that speak to different ethnic groups know that they’re not solving racism, but they’re doing their part to be more inclusive.

Again, isn’t this a step forward?

7. analoggirl on April 26, 2008 at 4:33 pm

PART 1 – (Since my post was over the character limit.)

I’ll play devil’s advocate here because I don’t see the problem with commercials that feature or target different ethnic groups. It’s better than ignoring those populations, isn’t it?

I suppose we should examine advertising and marketing first. These two things offer a promise to a consumer. In the past, those promises were based on the actual product. Today, promises are made on behalf of the brand – something intangible that reflects commitment to the consumer, reputation and goodwill.

8. nomorecorsa on April 26, 2008 at 12:31 pm

I think here in the Netherlands these kind of commercials are not so common. It would piss a lot of people off that is for sure.

9. linkinchan on April 25, 2008 at 10:05 pm

haha, yeah, i’ve noticed that, too, mike… i’ll watch commercials sometimes, and see that there’s a black person, a white person and an asian or hispanic person (notice i say OR, haha)… it’s pretty funny, though, watching to see who uses the mix and who doesn’t. my mom and i are always like “hey, one of each!” even though it’s rare to see a crew like that. very kool, but rare… i’m just bummed out cuz i can’t watch the vid you posted: it’s not available anymore.😦

chan🙂

10. Punkrider on April 25, 2008 at 12:43 pm

Hey Mike. Soory, i can’t look the video, it says me that the video is no longer avaibale. But i’m agree with you, it’s right that publicity lies to us, it says that the world is wonderful thanks to their products, and that’s wrong (the reality shows it itself). Otherwise, i wish you a good day, bye.

11. ButterflyVampire on April 25, 2008 at 12:37 pm

I wish the racism would stop in this world. It’s stupid! We are all humans! Mike you’re the best of the best! Don’t let anyone ever bring you down because of who you are. You’re a great person just like everyone here!

12. ButterflyVampire on April 25, 2008 at 12:36 pm

I’ve seen that ad before. I guess they took the video off of youtube. Good! It was poor acting and a piece of crap. I’m sorry if that sounded mean. When I was a kid probably about like 8, I had teachers at school ask me how I felt about my half brother and half sister who are Asian. I didn’t understand what they meant and it used to make me mad because I didn’t know how to answer that. I still today never understand why people do this. I’m not even going to go off on my history classes either.😐

13. maria on April 24, 2008 at 8:53 am

About the post) It’s awesome(. And about post scriptum just try to trust us all more).

14. maria on April 24, 2008 at 8:32 am

I’m sorry but I could not see the photo or whatever it is. It doesn’t matter) Let it be just a post.

15. soyuneik on April 23, 2008 at 10:38 pm

Man Its good to know there’s people who can think for themselves. I’ve witnessed a lot of people who carry on their family’s perspectives, carry on the ignorance they’ve been taught, and its inexcusable. Especially since I grew up in and extreme version of that atmosphere. But I was the kid that questioned every little thing. I was 10 when I told them off. lol you’ll never imagine what they threw at me. haha

16. WTF on April 23, 2008 at 6:34 pm

Wait, so can I be a dumbass as long as it’s not a racist one ?😀

17. Foreword09 on April 23, 2008 at 3:56 pm

P.S. Don’t forget to try the Manic Mode…..and when you run out, just get a fresh sheet!! 😛

18. Foreword09 on April 23, 2008 at 3:51 pm

I know this has nothing to do with your BLOG post here, but a friend of mine sent me this at work today and I thought it was cool/funny…..so you should check it out! It helps with stress a lot as well.🙂 LoL. haha.

19. Xenith on April 23, 2008 at 3:37 pm

Working for a digital marketing agency myself my main forte is web design but I also do alot of viral, print and video marketing for TV.If we are trying to sell an item to the masses the best way to do it is not to just display it but show people of various race and age who are fit and healthy from using/owning it. We have used this type of champagne for many clients including universities, car manufacturers and even Musicians!! When push comes to shove its a great approach to fall back on but it can be cheesy! Hell this is why we hire models and why everyone wants to look like one!..”www.NoRoadsLeft.com “:http://www.noroadsleft.com Total Signatures to Date = 716

20. ShadowerLiltani on April 22, 2008 at 9:26 pm

Kathy: Uh, yeah, that’s what I was saying all along…

DTOY101: Great comment ^___^

21. KATHYxx on April 22, 2008 at 8:28 pm

@ shadowerlitani:

Racism hasn’t stopped in the world. more racists are becoming quieter since they’re becoming the minority, but any amount of time reading youtube comments quickly confirms that there are still plenty of them. We just prefer to not hang out where they do.

And homophobics have always been around. Shallow people hate anything different, and then make up reasons, or hear someone else’s “reasons” to justify themselves.

22. YourConscience on April 22, 2008 at 8:22 pm

19 comments down, UMI says: “it’s kinda unbelievable that ppl THAT dumb… well… exist.”

I’m sorry, but where do you live? Stupidity is a bigger problem than I think most people realize. I say we take the warning labels off of products and let nature work itself out… Common sense isn’t so common anymore, is it?

1 comment down, CELESTIAL says: “censorship is almost as lame as racism.”

(bites tongue) No comment… Just… No comment…

o.0

23. Celestial on April 22, 2008 at 1:31 pm

Well, firstly I’m glad you didn’t disable commenting because censorship is almost as lame as racism. Secondly, that’s a pretty ace quote you posted DTOY101.That movie definitely gets props for the racial stereotypes it broke. Anywayz, I can’t see the video anymore but I presume it would probably be the same crap that gets force fed to people who watch television on a daily basis. I stopped watching a lot of it a while ago and I refuse to watch the news. All it is negativity and sensationalist crap that gets people to believe in racism and stereotypes even more. All in all, the world is better as a melting pot or salad bowl. Limiting yourself to just one race, genre, brand, etc. is boring.

24. AnVanoppens on April 22, 2008 at 12:55 pm

“video no longer available” : (

25. rockermeg on April 22, 2008 at 12:45 pm

I think it’s awesome you posted this,Mike. It shows there are some people in the world that care.

26. rockermeg on April 22, 2008 at 12:41 pm

That’s so fucked up

Anti-semitism is another thing that really pisses me off.
    Did you know there’s an anti-semetic conspiracy going around saying that jews are trying to take over the world??!

This is fucking idiotic!! Yes, there are alot of sucessful jewish people in the world-and they’re succesful because they were locked away and killed for years so they are trying to prove they are not worthless!
    So wake up people:

JUST BECAUSE SOMEBODY IS SMARTER THAN YOU DOESN’T MEAN THEY’RE TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!

Still don’t respect us?? Well Brad D and Rob B are both jewish so :p

27. Curiosa on April 22, 2008 at 12:41 pm

Mike, there’s a couple of things I’ve been wondering. First off if Busta is going to join you guys at some of the PR tours, wouldn’t it be wierd having him at a “rock” concert or are you guys actually planning on bringing in another hip-hop act? The other thing that I find interesting is that you (& a few other people on here) actually notice/pay attention to the actors’ race in these commercials because I normally don’t notice them unless say someone points it out. I normally pay attention to the content & not if the actors are white, black, or hispanic. Hmm…very insightful.

28. Timi on April 22, 2008 at 10:49 am

pff… i don’t like mcdonald’s… and i hate racist :S:S

29. Madlen on April 22, 2008 at 10:27 am

blah i can’t see the commercial cause it’s been removed…shit…anyway i really like the beer commercial with the “magic fridge” :http://youtube.com/watch?v=4dHaOwC_4No

30. dtoy101 on April 22, 2008 at 9:10 am

Quoting from Dennis Lim’s article in the NY Times about the Harold and Kumar movie….”The signal achievement of both Harold and Kumar films is that they make race incidental without taking racism lightly; they presuppose an enlightened audience. “When we start to write, we’re under the assumption that everyone knows racism is bad,” Mr. Schlossberg (writer/director) said. “If you don’t know that, you’re a moron. Harold and Kumar’s attitude toward racism is more frustration at having to deal with idiocy than moral outrage. We try to create a world where racism is stupid.”

This sums it up perfectly!!!

31. outlawserenade on April 22, 2008 at 8:45 am

US only, granted – the self-proclaimed melting pot of all colors.. Funny how places such as SEA who has multicolored people off one race actually never give a damn on what colors get represented/not in an advertising…

BTW, go check out lplive.net , shinod. They’ve an exclusive you’ll be proud of.

32. nillp on April 22, 2008 at 8:44 am

shinoda_me, u’r not alone; i’m vegan and this one was really nasty for me too.. :~

33. Curiosa on April 22, 2008 at 8:33 am

Back then KFC’s main target was the black community. Now they’re trying to target everyone to go eat their chicken.

34. LILISH on April 22, 2008 at 7:05 am

HI MIKE!

35. axrinekey on April 22, 2008 at 6:55 am

Honestly, advertisements nowadays are really childish and not creative anymore…
    The storoes aren’t even related to the items they wanted to commersialise~ =_=

36. linkinparc on April 22, 2008 at 6:45 am

I have a little question to you: could you please please play the strings on breaking the habit in Düsseldorf louder? I love your strings…I would buy an LP-String-Instrumental album and I will hear it over and over again…
    strings, violins and etc. are such wonderful instruments

37. linkinparc on April 22, 2008 at 6:45 am

My father and I had a conversation like this years ago, because of a radio commercial.

But honestly we do not have commercials like this…I reconized that the german commercials for examples are sooo different then the american once…(compare yours to japanese or chinese…if have epilepsy then DON’t watch them)

another example for race thing bla bla:

I have seen old Videos of old series and I reconized that all the black women and girls have such ridicoulous voices! I mean they are soo high and…not real..just fake!
    we never had this in germany and france (trust me I know it..i grew up there)

38. MaryAsh on April 22, 2008 at 5:14 am

Yeah some of the comercials are really funny, but for the most part they’re actually dumb…. But even when we think: “Oh, come on..! Now that’s really stupid!!! Are we supposed to believe that crap?” it does have an effect on us, subconsciously. Those ads create a certain image in our heads that says “Here is how our lives should look like” That is why people are BUYING things to make themselves feel happy. Advertisers care about how to sell MORE, and we should care about how to buy LESS. lol That’s just in general about commercials.
    But, hey, Mke your last words cracked ME up too!!!! Anyway, food is just food, it’s not gonna solve all the problems centering around racism.

39. shinodaismyhero on April 22, 2008 at 4:53 am

Hey I like your new haircut. It’s so not Mike Shinoda, (or is it now?) but it’s really cool. But I thought the pink, spikey hair was the best of them all. Take care!

40. Umi on April 22, 2008 at 3:30 am

EDIT/OFF TOPIC: ah, and referring to ur blog post from January 15th:
    CLICK ME
    another show, but again pretty close to American Idol, I guess… the jury picked the song btw🙂

41. Umi on April 22, 2008 at 3:24 am

Funny thing is: The topic ads itself didn’t catch me as much as ur last sentence – that u almost disabled the comments cause of possible racist comments… for me it’s kinda unbelievable that ppl THAT dumb… well… exist. Even though I notice them by myself: my chef at the restaurant I used to work 2 yrs ago for example didn’t want anyone from Turkey as waitress and when I asked her why, she brought up so many prejudices, it just amazed me o_o … I still don’t get it. I mean, I live in Germany, especially here u would expect ppl to know, how idiotic racistic attitudes are by now… sometimes I’m almost ashamed, really… well… whatever… enjoy ur freetime😄

42. WhiteAngel on April 22, 2008 at 1:59 am

Tottaly agree. Ads these days are ridiculous. I mean, here in Lithuania ads are just.. Whel. Freaky. Like “Work In McDonald and your life will be wonderful” And Im serious. This kinda ad was all over the country. By the way, we have a stupid ad like "Top Shop". It sells things. Like couches and etc. They say "Only" 699.99 Litas. And they always say "Only". Doesnt matter if its 50 litas or even 999.99. Freaky stuff..

43. cookiesnher0in on April 22, 2008 at 1:24 am

Dude, I love your rants hahaha. The one about Starbucks seriously almost caused me to bust a kidney laughing. But yeah, ads are ridiculous these days.

44. splatsomething on April 22, 2008 at 12:59 am

huh? are you against the fake harmony or the BAM in your face these ads are to”them” type ads? Either way its a no win situation for the ad exec cause either youre out of touch or youre a “racist” in a overly politically correct era. I say ads should just promote with cartoons, animated figures & catchy jingles.
    Mickey D’s could totally bounce back without any retaliation on BK. Bring back in full force Grimace & the Fry Guys singing:
    “Grimace is fat, Big Macs can do that,
    Supersize makes him happy, he could careless he looks crappy”
    If that doesn’t hit home to their consumers..shit I don’t know what would.

45. zico on April 22, 2008 at 12:19 am

i live in Kuwait, dude, the commercials here are crippled… everything in life seems to revolve around that one scpecific product; like yesterday i found out that all my problems could vanish when i clean my clothes with “vanish Oxy cleaner”

46. Avi on April 21, 2008 at 11:44 pm

it’s a pity that there aren’t so many good commercials.. here, in Poland, we have a commercial of mobile operator and ther’re saying there: “Another mobile operators are lying! Just like women.” …. sweet, huh?

47. navee on April 21, 2008 at 10:54 pm

that is so true!! there are some adds taht u go like “wtf?” fortunaly there are still good commercials sometimes superbowl goes with good stuff I’m studing marketing and i have clearly that our generation is even harder to convince and smarter too you cant spit bullshit to them times are changing culture is getting that will make us (the marketing makers) to take our job serious and get creative on the real stuff… unless i want to use my career for good im not racist at all and in this times as the old ones that theme is more dangerous… i’m mexican and in the states race happens sometimes but fortunaly the are still some good people everytime i go to the u.s. People with respect.

48. Romeo4wheels on April 21, 2008 at 10:54 pm

it’s so unethical.

49. Malaiyas on April 21, 2008 at 10:08 pm

amen. that said, you should post rants more often. you’re good at it.

and fuck mcdonald’s. their food is disgusting.

50. YourConscience on April 21, 2008 at 9:45 pm

“…if you do decide to comment on this post, don’t be a dumbass.” =D Ahhh… That in itself has made my day. Hehe. That being said, I don’t think I’ll comment much here today. Hahaha. (although not for fear of being a dumbass, but simply so I won’t wander off onto a whole nother tangent about society and stereotypes…) Besides, I’m sure all of you lurkers are getting pretty tired of my rants, huh? =) So, I hope everyone has a wonderful day, and I’d just like to remind you all that tomorrow is Earth Day…

51. DaniShinoda on April 21, 2008 at 9:13 pm

Hello MS! How are you?

I agre with u. The most comercials incites people to buy and do everyone thinks the product or service is perfect and don’t bring any problems for your life. I study a little thing about marketing in my college of journalism and one the most important is the way how we do this publicity and to pass on like an information. Pure deceive.

But, all world we can present this..
    Thanks for expose your oppinion here, it’s very important.
    Love u! Dani from Brazil!

52. shinoda_me on April 21, 2008 at 9:03 pm

oh and im a vegetarian .. so that one was NASTY!

53. shinoda_me on April 21, 2008 at 9:02 pm

more than the add, everything you wrote under that video cracked me up … hahaha!!!! stupid commercials … i hate to even watch TV because of them! but its awesome when you got your comments running along with them … LMAO!

54. ShadowerLiltani on April 21, 2008 at 8:59 pm

That commercial is practically screaming, “Hey, all you black southern people, come to KFC to get a southern cooked meal!!” Talk about pulling a race card. (I’ve always felt KFC’s chicken was rough on the stomach, but that’s besides the point). At least commercials nowadays favor multicultural settings far more than they used to. By the way, being as we’ve decided to hint at bringing up racism, has anyone one noticed that prejudice hasn’t stopped? Sure, for the most part, people are leaving blacks alone. Only problem is, they’ve moved from hating one race to hating people for their sexual preference now. It’s like, prejudice never stopped, it just found something new to hate.

55. ebony_miasma on April 21, 2008 at 8:31 pm

Yes, I do see the blatant race marketing present in many commercials, but I feel that McDonald’s is the best worst example. As a young black woman, I personally feel like the company’s advertising is an over-simplification of what people of my race really want. When you mentioned Starbucks in that post last week, it hit me because, not only do I work as a barista for Starbucks, but because I noticed how McDonald’s acts as if we’re selling to rich and superior white people, which is not the case! Starbucks is one of the most diverse environments I’ve ever been a part of, so it hurts me when it seems as if ordering a latte is some sort of an elitist behavior.

56. nillp on April 21, 2008 at 8:30 pm

yeah. for sure Sashy, the whole world has it..

there’s a lot of controversy here lately.. and that’s pretty good in my opinion.. since i like [and think that is really interesting] to see how many different opinions and points of view we can get by each subject.. (:

take care all u; cya ~ mk’nil

57. Sashy on April 21, 2008 at 7:53 pm

No it’s not just US-centric; the whole world has it.

Though I mute most ads, there are some /great/ ones; Aussie beer ads top the charts though, Not that anyone can remember which brand it’s for once it’s finished.

58. Sukka3 on April 21, 2008 at 7:39 pm

mmm…back in those days no race was really related to fried chickan man… thats a more moderm stereotype… it was pure chance

59. KATHYxx on April 21, 2008 at 7:07 pm

That said. I too hate unrealistic commercials.

Coca Cola is just brown fizzy stuff, not magic polar bear elixir. Toilet Paper is just toilet paper. Bottled Water does not come from glaciers.

But, the enzyte commercials.. I don’t want to see those anymore PLEASE.

60. KATHYxx on April 21, 2008 at 7:00 pm

How to comment on a blog:

Read Blog.
    Understand Blog.
    Comment thoughtfully.

number 3 has to come after 1 and 2.

61. xLinkinParkFanx on April 21, 2008 at 6:55 pm

you got a point there mike. but i really have nothing to say about the whole thing. i personally think that half of the commercials on TV are either really stupid or hilarious. like the free credit report.com commercials. those just amuse me.😀

62. lynndarwinharris on April 21, 2008 at 6:26 pm

Don’t watch much TV. Too much negativity. The world has enough of that already. Can’t comment much here.

63. Kira on April 21, 2008 at 6:20 pm

What would you prefer to see, Mike?

64. Jessica on April 21, 2008 at 6:07 pm

I want to live in the late Walgreen’s commercials with the serene music and the stuff that’s always handy when you need it.
    And woo, this is my first comment on your blog, even though I’ve lurked it for a while now. Just wanted to say that I think it’s awesome you’re communicating with us and sharing your views. I genuinely appreciate you.

65. Ezza on April 21, 2008 at 6:06 pm

all comercials are retared! all they want us to do is buy their crap that breaks as soon as u get it home cuz its made in a sweat shop in china where ppl are not paid enough to care let alone feed their family, they dont care about race they care about money! …im not saying that some parts of my country are racist, most of our comercials r american with an aussie acent dubed, sometimes really dogey, over them. all feature white anglo-saxson ppl, even tho we are 1 of the ,most multicultural countries on the planet. it shits me that all we see are americans and are made to believe that there australian, they lie to us and sell us shit….sorry its just things like this piss me off propper

66. N1CK on April 21, 2008 at 5:57 pm

honsetly, people get paid to create those “fantasy worlds.” the world is cheap these days, companies will do whatever it takes to take your money, as for the racial part; it might just be me but it seems like in all comercials there always has to be one white person, one black person, one mexican person….etc. i think it almost gets to the point where people are trying TOO hard Not to be racist, Overcaucious. dont get me wrong i know they dont want to hurt anyone but it can get a little ridiculous.

67. mina on April 21, 2008 at 5:47 pm

This is what happens when you attempt to start a thought-provoking conversation with Linkin Park fans.

Incidentally, I have a headache.

68. TaylorKenjiLP on April 21, 2008 at 5:13 pm

ahaha. commercials in general can die. i hate this ‘big business’ america. you wanna sell something? open a shop and let people walk by -the stuff hanging in your window can be the advertisement. ha, sweet simplicity.

69. soyuneik on April 21, 2008 at 5:10 pm

The point isn’t that they have to be “out right honest”, MickiMayhem. It is that they deliberately create commercials directed to who THEY want to buy there product. The other point is the fact that racism used to be flaunted bluntly and nowadays they sugarcoat it (or give it code names) and act like it no longer exists.
    Looking at the whole picture, think about the psychology involved in watching models and picture perfect family’s (which does not exist). Society strives and wraps its self-esteem. hopes, and dreams around perfectionism, vanity, and the ILLUSION created for us.

70. withyou on April 21, 2008 at 4:30 pm

Ok lets get real here. I mean this is just ridiculous having seperate commercials for people of color tha’s just crazy. I live in America now but I recently went back to England and saw a Clean and Clear commercial and I was so suprised to see a black girl and an indian girl instead of white girls and I said you’d never see that in America, and I have yet to see it. When are we gonna wake up and realize race is something we least need to worry about. I mean it’s Clean and Clear for god’s sake what is everbody afraid of? When you use different races it appeals to everyone. That’s what the marketing strategy of America needs, you need to make it real.

71. Curiosa on April 21, 2008 at 4:24 pm

btw, I saw an article that compared some of McD’s food with BK’s & McD’s turned out to be less fattening. Kinda scary.

Thanks 4 the link about copywriting. Photography is my hobby & since I’ve received good feedback about my photos I’ve thought about selling them & I don’t have time to be dealing with trying to get everything copywrited. I took a pic that I know you’d love, of a skull but I’m not posting it on the web. :)~ Thanks again.

72. Curiosa on April 21, 2008 at 4:21 pm

wow Mike, u & I view things so differently. lol I wish u had a real example. Let’s look at a hotel commercial directed towards the corporate world. It will need to have multi-racial actors cause the corporate world is made up of different races working together. Plus the more diversity you see the more appealing it will be to u. If u look at a commercial & u only see a hispanic person on there, will you pay as much attention to it say if you were to see a Caucasian person? Basically they’re not trying to create a fantasy world but rather appeal to a bigger audience. Also many advertisers do have to worry about the commercial being seen as “racist” so that could be another reason why.

73. Reem on April 21, 2008 at 3:59 pm

yeah i know what you mean,it got out of hand,commercials used to be fun back in the day now they are all fake and fairy-land like.hah that was funny,the boy1&2 EX.so true,that’s how most of them are.Oh and the whole”loose weight”adds all the effin time,then they turn around and go on and on about how anorexia is this and that,they have to stop at somepoint,it’s annoying.Thanks for sharing and trusting us with the comments:).Have a good day!!

74. asiatik16 on April 21, 2008 at 3:43 pm

hello mike go see thisvideo : http://fr.youtube.com/watch?v=xlE-9-Bbais

75. CHEN_IL on April 21, 2008 at 3:30 pm

well, i don’t have a very smart thing to add, but i shall say you are right, and these adds are totally stupid:| that video you attached is funny. like “wowwwwwww it’s an ice cream!! everybody should eat it, who doesn’t is a loser!! wohoo” bad commercials.. haha :] i love u mike, i love u, love u, love u. come to ISRAEL! :] you must!you will! i know you will!

76. vanessa_6487 on April 21, 2008 at 3:25 pm

i seriusly get what u are trying to say to us… just for the simple fact that i’m part of a minority in the USA…all those commercials steriotype us…. i’m part Mexican n when i see commercials like that it makes me think “WTF it not liked that at all” they are always trying to protray something that is far from reality…just to sale their products… n the sad thing is that to some mindless people it actually work…n i’m not just saying this because u r famous… i have really experience it myself… well take care n i love u…
    att.Vanessa
    xoxoxo

77. MickiMayhem on April 21, 2008 at 3:16 pm

if anybody wants to talk about me more about this, e-mail me. avenge_love@yahoo.com

Because I am thoroughly confused.

78. MickiMayhem on April 21, 2008 at 3:14 pm

Whichever one it is, who cares? They are commercials. Thats why you flip through channels.
    They arent made for you to make a blog about and complain.
    But, I can’t say much because you ARE famous and can do whatever the fuck you want and someone, if not everyone, will be behind you on it because you are Mike Shinoda.
    For example, me. I was thinking either I could agree with him and get him on my side, or I can tell the truth and he can hate me. Either one i lose because you don’t give a crap who I am.

79. MickiMayhem on April 21, 2008 at 3:14 pm

I’m confused by what your saying here. There seems to be two messages. 1) Commercials need to be out right honest besides trying to fit in all races to not be called racist and 2) They shouldnt mix races up.
    But why not? Seriously. In school, I talk to a bunch of people where one is like “yo whats up?” and i’m like “nothing much. how about you?” and the other is like “nothin’. chilling with my homies”. So thats a real life scenario, so why can’t they play it out in a commercial? Now, alot of people including me always have to make sure I dont always talk about or mention one race or I will get my ass kicked for being “racist”.

80. fallsogracefully on April 21, 2008 at 3:03 pm

Hey! There is nothing wrong with wanting to buy the world a Coke!

Actually, I must say, the “Buy the World a Coke” ads always give me hope for mankind…..

I have no idea why….

81. nillp on April 21, 2008 at 3:01 pm

i’m pissed off with all these commercials that wants to persuade the mass that “the product is the key for all the multicultural predicament that might exist”..

^this is ridiculous.^

ps. i really like when u embrace subjects like this into ur blog. (:

take care; love ya ~ mk’nil

82. bec on April 21, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Mina, VW’s race issues are covered as they are marketing the car to dogs

83. mina on April 21, 2008 at 2:41 pm

Bec, everyone knows VW are antisemitic.

84. Jaclyn on April 21, 2008 at 2:39 pm

Hey Mike, i hope i understood right what you wanted to say in such a chaotic way (pardon me not being english speaking) Lately I’ve been to Paris (France) and i’ve been in McDonalds there, well i like to compare different mcdonalds and not to find any difference ))) So …. there were practically only Black men who were eating…. it was shocking… and only white girls at the counter….. it seemed to me that there were maybe four european presons – me, my friend and two french women…. omg… maybe i was in the wrong district, at least it was Montmartre. Okey in my Moscow I even met pop-music-stars in mcdonalds ))))

85. Anstice on April 21, 2008 at 2:39 pm

UGH. You’re right. It’s fucking ridiculous how much those people try to act like their product is the “solve-all, world peace bringer.” I mean, for Christ’s sake. It’s like movies. I always love the ones with the cheesy-ass happy endings that are nowhere near anything that’s true. Never Been Kissed is the freaking best example. Shit like that will never happeno_O. That’s why I love things like The Threepenny Opera, which satirize everything about our “fantasy” worlds. Kudos on the blog. I completely agree. And as far as not making a racist comment, I’ll just shut my face about the commercial. I think it speaks for itself.

86. vdo21 on April 21, 2008 at 2:37 pm

stuff like this turns into stereotypes. whats wrong with the world…

87. Meteora20 on April 21, 2008 at 2:34 pm

thats is very freaky. I hate too. but are they nevertheless.

so i most go sleep. good night or good morning. whatever🙂

88. bec on April 21, 2008 at 2:32 pm

Remember the the arguments when they had a black milkybar kid? don’t know if that commercial hit the US but it was huge in the UK.
    Some said political correctness gone to far and others say black people eat white chocolate so why not let the little boy be in the advert, though mostly the argument surrounding the comercial was a bigger advert for the product.

I’ve lost my train of thought and forgot where I was going with this, so I’m gonna go watch the commercial with the singing dog
    edit: love this

89. EdGreene on April 21, 2008 at 2:15 pm

three letters: l o l; this is so right, i hate it when marketers try to incorporate parts of one culture, but not all of it; kind of like that Chapelle’s show sketch when he worked at that burger place