glorious excess (born)

May 11, 2008

from wikipedia:

“In the arts, vanitas is a type of symbolic still life painting commonly executed by Northern European painters in Flanders and the Netherlands in the sixteenth and seventeenth centuries. The term vanitas itself refers to the arts, learning and time. The word is Latin, meaning “emptiness” and loosely translated corresponds to the meaninglessness of earthly life and the transient nature of vanity. Ecclesiastes 1:2 from the Bible is often quoted in conjunction with this term. The Vulgate (Latin translation of the Bible) renders the verse as Vanitas vanitatum omnia vanitas. The verse is translated as Vanity of vanities; all is vanity by the King James Version of the Bible, and Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless by the New International Version of the Bible.

Paintings executed in the vanitas style are meant as a reminder of the transience of life, the futility of pleasure, and the certainty of death, encouraging a sombre world view.

Common vanitas symbols include skulls, which are a reminder of the certainty of death; rotten fruit, which symbolizes decay like ageing; bubbles, which symbolize the brevity of life and suddenness of death; smoke, watches, and hourglasses, which symbolize the brevity of life; and musical instruments, which symbolize brevity and the ephemeral nature of life.”

1. Jhuryn on May 13, 2008 at 11:20 am

Hmmm… sounds interesting. Can’t wait to find out more!

2. Linkin_Paranoik on May 13, 2008 at 10:15 am

That’s nice, my language comes from latin, I’m italian๐Ÿ˜‰ hehe it’s nice to see you posted that stuff about art…

I LOVE ART<3

3. Janni_Loves_LP on May 13, 2008 at 12:06 am

That’s weird, because just a few days ago we were studying the same thing in my art class..! I think it’s very interesting and I’m really looking forward to see the new art! can’t wait much longer!!๐Ÿ˜›

4. analoggirl on May 12, 2008 at 8:13 pm

Nice teaser! Looking forward to seeing your new pieces. ๐Ÿ™‚

5. Seal on May 12, 2008 at 3:58 pm

That’s very interesting. Just a few weeks ago I was looking at life that way.๐Ÿ˜„
    That kind of art has always gotten my attention though, and I can’t wait to see if you’ll do anything with the style. I imagine it’ll look dope as always.

Hoping to go to your art show๐Ÿ˜‰

6. AussiePrincess on May 12, 2008 at 3:46 pm

tut tut tut

Never believe anything you read on Wikipedia…Lol jks…Interesting…

7. psykobouliz on May 12, 2008 at 3:19 pm

Vanitas…, my favourite painters artists are all from netherlands, and i don’t say this because i got my origins from this country, but… =) It was one of the best part of art story, according to me… It’s funny because a lot of people didn’t care about art before, and now that they like LP, they follow you and they have interest for it =) That’s a good thing you share with us.

Talkin about art, here is my new artwork, this is a copy of an artist called Misstigri, i trullylove what shes does… Dunno what you’ll think about it, anyway as you do for us, i wanted to share it with you.

8. lp_fm_fan on May 12, 2008 at 2:13 pm

Mike! OMG! lol. You have to see this:

Here

it’s about Linkin Park, I thought it was awesome. Lol.

9. rockermeg on May 12, 2008 at 1:05 pm

“Common vanitas symbols include skulls, which are a reminder of the certainty of death; rotten fruit, which symbolizes decay like ageing; bubbles, which symbolize the brevity of life and suddenness of death; smoke, watches, and hourglasses, which symbolize the brevity of life; and musical instruments, which symbolize brevity and the ephemeral nature of life.โ€

I wonder…where have I seen that before??๐Ÿ˜„ Thanks for sharing your inspiration Mike! I like your artwork it’s very urban-decay and ‘real’.

Thanks again,

Megnx

10. OceanBiscuit on May 12, 2008 at 10:59 am

Hey dude ~ Dont just introduce it to us ~~ now your info has already attracted us and we want to learn more about vanitas !!! SO WHAT ABOUT UPLOAD SOME PICS OF VANITAS AND TELL US WHAT U THINK ABOUT IT ??๐Ÿ™‚
    PLEASE~~~~!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

11. Andizzle on May 12, 2008 at 6:40 am

wow… thats certainly a cheerful outlook on life…. jk just kidding it sounds good.
    I’m looking foward to seeing yuor interpretation of the musical instruments…

12. AS_21 on May 12, 2008 at 5:58 am

whoaaa.. I like it… art is fascinating!!

xx

13. axrinekey on May 12, 2008 at 4:38 am

It sounds like a philosphy…
    A sudden inspiration to me. :O

14. Frerard on May 12, 2008 at 1:24 am

okay… ima just sit here and pretend that i understand.

15. maria on May 12, 2008 at 1:24 am

Of course if you don’t mind my writting down this info:) And I wanted to say that it would be great to see the picture here expressing vanity) Anyway, I have some thoughts of what you might have created:) It will be a masterpiece as all art that you’ve posted here:)

16. maria on May 12, 2008 at 1:01 am

Hi Mike) You are a philosopher:)) That’s really interesting:) and impressive. Wikipedia is a real nice source of information:)
    And this info gives food for thought:) And thanks for reminding me this phrase (vanitas vanitatis). I’ve looked for it everywhere but finally I found it:)) So I’m going to write down something from your post in order to know more about it and to broden my linguistic (my student knowledge:)) skills:) thanks once again for it :)have a nice day:)

17. YourConscience on May 12, 2008 at 12:10 am

Beautiful… I can’t wait to see what you’ve created. =)

18. shinoda_me on May 11, 2008 at 11:54 pm

honestly, i hate READING about art .. whether it be just the style of art of whatever … im just looking forward to seeing your art directly๐Ÿ˜€ i love it !!!!!
    good luck!๐Ÿ™‚ and have a nice day!๐Ÿ™‚

19. soyuneik on May 11, 2008 at 11:15 pm

Thats interesting. Nice bible contradictions to boot.
    Did you travel over to the Dark Side for a moment Mr. Shinoda?

20. Helene on May 11, 2008 at 10:50 pm

sounds very interesting n_n cant wait to see your work. cant you just take some photos of your work, so that we could see little bit your new artwork ? =) anyway, have a nice day๐Ÿ˜‰

21. zimminator on May 11, 2008 at 9:52 pm

wow thats deep….and i love it! cant wait to see it! wish i could see it in real life though….

22. vanessa_6487 on May 11, 2008 at 9:15 pm

It sounds freking interesting… I bet ur new art is going to be AMAZING just liked u… I would love to see it in person… too bad its on the west coast n I live all the way in the east coast…wtf… anywayz I wish the best of luck in everything… love u n take care…

Att. Vanessa
    xoxoxo

23. Reem on May 11, 2008 at 9:09 pm

sounds great,abit different to what the past series was like but that’s a good thing,, can’t wait to see what it’s all gonna be like, im sure it’ll be great:) thanks for posting, have a good day!!

24. nillp on May 11, 2008 at 8:09 pm

oow. can’t wait..! i have sure that ur new pieces are going to be waaaay better than the ones that u’ve ever done..!

between these vanitas symbols, the skulls are my favorite..๐Ÿ˜€

can’t wait to see some of them again in ur paintings. (:

keep rocking and happy mother’s day..๐Ÿ˜‰

love ya ~ mk’nil โค

25. Terrible_Lie on May 11, 2008 at 7:57 pm

They spelled aging wrong.

26. LPFreak1286 on May 11, 2008 at 7:55 pm

Man I cant wait for your new art. I wish I could see it in person.

27. Crystal122208 on May 11, 2008 at 7:39 pm

sounds interesting =D

28. Malaiyas on May 11, 2008 at 7:25 pm

“The verse is translated as Vanity of vanities; all is vanity by the King James Version of the Bible, and Utterly meaningless! Everything is meaningless by the New International Version of the Bible.”

i found that bit to be rather amusing.

29. lp_fm_fan on May 11, 2008 at 7:01 pm

Interesting! Can’t wait for your art, Mike! I’M GONNA SEE IT IN PERSON! eeek!! LA HERE I COME. w00t!

30. lynndarwinharris on May 11, 2008 at 6:52 pm

Can’t wat for your art! Sounds interesting

31. Sammy on May 11, 2008 at 5:46 pm

thats sounds interesting

32. Doggie24690 on May 11, 2008 at 5:44 pm

That was awesome Mike, thank you for posting. Hmmm, I’m excited for your art. ^_^

33. LuckySpade on May 11, 2008 at 5:00 pm

That’s an interesting art.. Very meaningful

i’m done, gotta go to bed
    LP4LiFE

34. Kostas on May 11, 2008 at 4:53 pm

You ‘re “deep” man. Which makes you a real artist, no shit. And no “drugs and music” and kinda “classic” worthless stuff like that. It’s pretty good knowing and understanding things about the world…. doing what you do, expressing your feelings and live out of it…. man, you gotta be a happy person when your thoughts about ppl don’t make you sad…
    I’m trying to be a writer, here…. i hope i can make a living out of it too… or else i got no choices… you guys made it, dude. Be happy about it… (some dude from greece)

35. Madlen on May 11, 2008 at 4:15 pm

that sounds interesting and it’s just making me more excited to see the new art….damn!!!:D

36. cuz on May 11, 2008 at 3:32 pm

i can’t wait for you new art! i love your paintings and that sounds intriguing. you know how to interest people… even if not this i am very interested in what you do. take care and have a nice day๐Ÿ™‚

37. _NoRa_ on May 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm

What I finally want to say is..thank you..for giving me and others the oportunety to excpress ourselfs..thanks.

38. _NoRa_ on May 11, 2008 at 2:46 pm

Wow thats so interesting! I ‘ve got to ask my art teacher if he knows about them! I doubt it though.:P btw thnx for tellng us about art n stuff …If we r going to learn anything from any one its gonna be from our idols..Which is actually pretty sad…People should find someone more..I don’t know..reachable..to relate to..I ‘m against idolyseing stars..they are still human…like the guy next door..But what we greeks say is ‘Daskale pou didaskes kai nomo den ekrateis’ which means ‘Teacher who teaches rules but doesn’t keep them’ I ‘m as much of a fan as everyone else here..and I idolyse you as much as everyone else..

39. Snails on May 11, 2008 at 2:21 pm

stop teasing us with your art clues๐Ÿ˜›, cant wait to see it sounds brill

40. Jaclyn on May 11, 2008 at 2:00 pm

Yeah Mike, I’ve also read it when you first mentioned it before. To my surprize this kind of art expresses my favourite words from the Bible from my favourite chapter. So I’m patiently waiting for your art to explode on๐Ÿ˜€ You’re a teaser! We won’t see anything till the exhibition opens, ah? Maybe you’d like to show some of you fav vanitas paintings by other artists?

41. Xenith on May 11, 2008 at 1:59 pm

Happy Anniversary !

And thanks Mike, this makes me more excited to see your new work. Please please please though more prints for the UK!

Oh and I saw this and thought you would love it : If Nintendo Made Halo 3

No Roads Left – Currently experiencing retarded host problems! – sorry guys doing best I can!

42. Ann on May 11, 2008 at 1:46 pm

mm i like the symbols it uses

happy anniversary mike!

Ann

43. MelMinerva on May 11, 2008 at 1:43 pm

ha! did my finals last year in art – vanitas is such crazy, but great….better: it’s well…pretty interesting.
    Just remember 3 years ago, we had a damn stupid picture: a bowl w/ fruits and a fucked up worm in a damn apple….that worm was the thought of vanitas – I still dont know why the fucking worm is about vanitas...art was always my best subject, and my finals were great but I do not know that shit, maybe anyone knows what kind of picture I mean and can help me out. thx

goes on w/ painting…no Vanitas….more….er….life!๐Ÿ˜€

btw: hope you had a great day yesterday, just read it on some sites. 5 years…I guess it’s some kind of record in that business๐Ÿ˜€ hold this one๐Ÿ™‚

44. PinkWater3 on May 11, 2008 at 1:35 pm

so if it’s a hint of what your new art is going to look like, i really can’t wait to see it!

45. navee on May 11, 2008 at 1:34 pm

i think i have read this before anyway thanxs for the catch up… is this like some kind a preview to your next gallery show?? i will take that as a yes… unfortunaly i dont think i’ll go to the show but defenatly will search for it deadly on the net thanx cant wait to see it see ya mike and hav a nice day!

46. Romeo4wheels on May 11, 2008 at 1:17 pm

….. ๐Ÿ™‚

47. AnVanoppens on May 11, 2008 at 1:17 pm

it would be great if you would come to flanders๐Ÿ˜›

48. qwertz on May 11, 2008 at 1:14 pm

hm, interesting… especially the symbols used in the art. cool info. thanks. btw, when are we gonna hear a new FM project? Is the new S.O.B. album out yet?

49. AnVanoppens on May 11, 2008 at 1:11 pm

weird i haven’t heard of this type of symbolic still life paintings..

PS: Mike, i’m so glad you’re back๐Ÿ˜€ how’ve you been?

well, take care ♥

An (“myspace.com/mikeshinoda”:http://myspace.com/mikeshinoda)

50. AnVanoppens on May 11, 2008 at 1:06 pm

“in flanders”? :O

51. merve on May 11, 2008 at 1:04 pm

i have already read this on wikepedia and made a bigger searching about vanitas.i realy like this type of symbolic still life paintings!
    anyways,tnx mike,take care urself

52. Marlena_LP on May 11, 2008 at 12:58 pm

2nd one! I donยดt understand everything, sorry

greetings from germany
    (only 42 days left till the concert in munich,weeh ^-^)

53. mistressOFmadness on May 11, 2008 at 12:46 pm

hahaaa, first one! and now…
    STOP LURKING MIKE! I SAW YOU!