glorious excess (born) at JANM – ian dury

May 19, 2008

from Wikipedia:

SEX & DRUGS & ROCK & ROLL

“Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll” is a song and single by Ian Dury. It was originally released on the 1977 Stiff Records single BUY 17 “Sex And Drugs And Rock And Roll” with “Razzle In My Pocket” as the B-side. on August 26th. The song was released under the name Ian Dury. Only two members of Ian Dury and the Blockheads appear on the record, the song’s co-writer Chas Jankel and saxophonist Davey Payne.

The single did not chart, selling only around 19,000 copies (a small amount for a single in 1977) but won critical acclaim. A factor of this poor sales could be Stiff Record’s singles deletion policy designed to promote initial sales and as such, chart success. The original single was deleted after only two months.

Released as it was in the height of the Punk rock scandal the song was misinterpreted (as it is often is to this day) as a song about excess as its title and chorus would suggest and was banned by the BBC. However, Dury maintained that the song was not a punk anthem. He said he was trying to suggest that there was more to life than sex, drugs, rock ‘n’ roll or a 9-to-5 existence (such as in his track-by-track comments in the sleeve-notes of Repertoire Record’s Reasons To Be Cheerful: The Best Of Ian Dury & The Blockheads compilation). The verses themselves are somewhat riddle-like at times though always suggesting an alternative lifestyle:

Here’s a little bit of advice, you’re quite welcome it is free
Don’t do nothing that is cut-price you’ll know what they’ll make you be
They will try their tricky device, trap you with the ordinary
Get your teeth into a small slice of the cake of liberty

<p><a href="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sex_%26_Drugs_%26_Rock_%26_Roll">full wikipedia entry here</a></p>

click here for JANM.org story

1. axrinekey on May 22, 2008 at 11:28 pm

I’ve heard the name before.. I think xDDD

“Sex, drugs and Rock and Roll”

2. nillp on May 20, 2008 at 8:15 pm

can’t wait to see ur pieces, dude..

the waiting is killing me. :~

3. Y_ on May 20, 2008 at 9:58 am

after the show, u should make ur works available online, or make art book!!😉

4. M4LL0RY on May 20, 2008 at 5:51 am

Too bad I live in crappy South Carolina. Wow, it really does suck here. Haha..

5. Ssophia on May 20, 2008 at 5:02 am

mike..mike..mike – everyday, everytime…hm.interesting, how does it feel?Ok, by the way, that’s new art will be greate(i think so)

6. maria on May 20, 2008 at 4:31 am

Or maybe it will be something totaly different😉 something apart from picture🙂
    Anyway Good luck again and keep posting🙂

7. maria on May 20, 2008 at 4:29 am

well, Mike) you know that it was a device of most rock and rock and roll stars. If my memory doesn’t play me false, it was a device of Rolling Stones or Deep Purple. You can mend me if I’m wrong). Maybe it will be a theme of your art or you’re going to delineate a picture representing it). I wish you luck and success). And let the asterism Orion light your way))) like the Southern Cross shines in the South Hemisphere))) And wait for another poem-gift when you will post here what you’ve created))). Have a nice day God Bless you)🙂

8. Fishgoingwest on May 20, 2008 at 12:23 am

I don’t really under stand,”sex&drugs&rock&roll”,is that a theme of your art show??

Must be dude!

9. analoggirl on May 19, 2008 at 3:18 pm

I love the social commentary behind this exhibit. Please share your work online for the fans who can’t make it. 🙂

10. vanessa_6487 on May 19, 2008 at 3:14 pm

wow ;0 it sounds reallyyyyyyyyyyyy interesting i would give anything to be the…. how i wish i could go… but i just can’t :{… but the most important is that is going to be a sucess n u r getting more funds…. love u n take care n of course the best of luck in everything…

att.Vanessa
    xoxoxo

11. cuz on May 19, 2008 at 3:13 pm

Mike… you give me such a hard work with waiting for the artshow😉 i want it now!!!😀 congratulations😀

12. PinkWater3 on May 19, 2008 at 2:48 pm

yeah, very interesting and intriguing, cant wait to see it!

13. lp_fm_fan on May 19, 2008 at 2:22 pm

SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I totally CAN NOT wait!! I’m so excited to go to this art show! :D:D

14. Sammy on May 19, 2008 at 1:59 pm

very interesting !!!!

15. rockermeg on May 19, 2008 at 1:20 pm

niiice,very interesting and influential.

Can’t wait for the art’s release!

Megnxx

16. YourConscience on May 19, 2008 at 11:49 am

I cannot wait to see what you’ve done… You’re such a freakin’ tease. o.0 Haha.

17. Xenith on May 19, 2008 at 11:05 am

So very confused… But still erratically excited😀

NO ROADS LEFT.com

OVER 1000 Signatures and counting!

18. merve on May 19, 2008 at 10:44 am

i have already read that((i had some free time and i searched little bit about Glorious Excess (Born):D )) but we are still waiting more info from you!!!!
    anyway,tnx for posting,take care urself,by

19. Yahali on May 19, 2008 at 10:43 am

oh mike ,it’s great!!😀

and somthing to you: why you dont put in your posts photos of you? it’s can be nice! and you look amazing🙂

20. Yoko_Nagisa on May 19, 2008 at 9:44 am

жаль, но я этого не увижу наяву… но надеюсь будут фотки)))) ничего что я на русском?) хехе)))

21. sage_murry on May 19, 2008 at 9:12 am

That sounds great Mike!
    Hopefully I will be able to go to LA during the time of the show. My cousin just moved there and she wants to take me to your show for my 21st birthday. Hopefully, everything will work out according to plan!

22. Ilo on May 19, 2008 at 9:06 am

Hey cool! You´re doing a new exhibition…….I´m sad that I can´t go and watch it. But I´m sure you´ll give us some photos ;-)) So good luck!!

Ilo

23. Romeo4wheels on May 19, 2008 at 9:05 am

I’m so relieved that you’re always here, and me either. 🙂

24. Umi on May 19, 2008 at 8:37 am

Hm, I hope there’ll be some photos or even a small video clip about ur work, so we ppl from overseas get to see some of it, too😀 Now I finally know what it (= text from the page u’ve linked) is about… I was too lazy to do research on my own lol uhm, yeah, so… don’t forget, that we still want and always will want No Roads left live in Düsseldorf on June 28th (I really think, it could help to repeat it as often as possible, so this wish from us makes it into ur long term memory -ggg-) and good luck with ur artwork🙂

25. Anstice on May 19, 2008 at 8:29 am

It sure makes me wish that I lived in LA rather than Indiana so I could go and see that. It sounds really neat, to be honest. Good luck with the show, though. It sounds like it’s going to draw in a lot of people. I hope you raise a lot of money🙂 -Jade

26. bec on May 19, 2008 at 8:22 am

you’re a little slow Mike – most of the fansites already have this linked!

I hope it all goes well and you have lots of pretty pictures to show

27. Seal on May 19, 2008 at 8:22 am

Agh, Mike, you’re getting me so excited! I think it’ll be a successful show. I’ll definitely make sure I can go.

28. lp_stef on May 19, 2008 at 8:20 am

can’t wait to see it🙂

29. Raiden on May 19, 2008 at 8:15 am

Nice! Can’t wait. Hope I see it. Peter from Hungary.