GLORIOUS EXCESS VIDEO

July 1, 2008

regarding the “SIRENS AND SILENCE” video i posted in the videos section: i wanted to have a little fun with you when i posted it, so i intentionally put it up with almost no description, and left it up for a few days in order to give you a chance to watch it, pass it on to friends, and post your thoughts about it. now that you’ve had a second to absorb, let me tell you more about it!

this piece, although based mostly on first-hand perspective footage, is not necessarily about me. in fact, i made a conscious effort to keep it the piece open to different “celebrity types”–i edited out a great deal of our faces, voices, and any LP related imagery (there’s still a little bit, but not much) because i wanted it to be versatile; to be able to be applied to many different types of person who might have this experience.

this could be a piece about a movie star, a TV celebrity, a musician. it’s about the frenetic pace, the travel, the potential for ups and downs, ego and depression, humor and darkness. i don’t travel by private jet all the time, i don’t stay in hotel rooms that look like the ones pictured all the time, and i don’t get swarmed by fans at airports all the time. some people do…and this piece is about their lifestyle as much as it is a personal video journal (without the talking).

some of you commented that the piece gave you a feeling of “loneliness.” i found that really interesting, because while some could say the hotel scenes looked cold, another might see the hotel scenes as the moments of peace and warmth. while the “insomnia” bit felt frustrating to some, others might see it as funny (i do!). that’s what i love about a piece like this–a large portion of it is wide open for interpretation, and all of us project our own feelings and experiences into it.

i added the more obvious commentary to was the end, because that was a universal “be careful what you wish for” element, and it felt good with the door closing (which, again could feel like a warm escape from the insanity, but just as easily could feel dark and foreboding). the dynamic between the loud “siren” parts and the “silent” parts are what gave the piece its name.

enjoy…more to come this week, as we set up for the show!

1. igoraugusto33lp on February 26, 2011 at 3:28 pm

MIKE PLEASE
    LOOK MY VIDEO REMIX FROM NOBODYS LISTENING

2. Alexandra Nofi on March 23, 2010 at 9:43 pm

The videos aren’t showing up. I’m sure you are aware, but I’m bored and have nothing better to do with my time…

3. rikardolp on February 6, 2010 at 2:02 am

hey mike…
    you should make a movie…
    bye mike…

4. Leatherhead on May 17, 2009 at 11:12 pm

ROCK ON MIKE…

5. Blaesbjerg on July 14, 2008 at 7:50 am

I have to comment this one even though it’s a little late..
    WAOW! I’m amazed Mike, even though it’s very simple i think that it’s something to think about! It actually looks quite boring, and you really think about WHAT it is to be a celebrity.. This one piece make you so uniqe Mike, just the fact that this one man amongst the celebries raises and show how it CAN be.. You guys always seem to have so much fun in LPTV, but this one makes you think that there can be darker sites, (though I thought that the one with the girls hunting you were fun).. I really admire you for this one Mike, my respect for you just grew so much more!..

6. Lina1984 on July 9, 2008 at 1:10 pm

Hey! I was surprised about the video, no one famous did that before (?) Airport, hotel, fans, so on and on and on. It´s kind of boring, isn´t it? If someday I´ll meet you I won´t run bihind you and scream your name, I promise. That´s horible! I would hate it. Each fan should know that he belongs to a huge crowd and you are just a single person. I can´t akt like I´m your one and only fan. Anyway, if you don´t know what I mean, just ask me!
    Oh by the way: It´s so funny you filmed a german commercial on tv.😀 (you know, the bunny, ha ha ha, I hate that little ….)

7. Kian on July 8, 2008 at 3:30 pm

ALONE
    And if you needs know/
    I don’t know how I survive/
    And if you needs to go/
    I don’t know how I try/
    But the best way is going home alone/
    Chorus:/
    Alone with all your secrets/
    Alone with all your hopes/
    Alone with all your friends and loves into your heart/
    You had found your own way/
    A way without gosts/
    where you can be happy/
    And when you find the real love/
    Don’t forget about the past/
    And follows your way alone/
    Chorus/
    I want go in my own way/
    With my friends and my love/
    Without you and your lies/
    Go alone!/
    *Chorus:(2x)

8. Y_ on July 6, 2008 at 10:38 am

about the vid, that’s…well..interesting. but i haven’t posted any comment.(’cause i thought i could offend u ) it’s fun to read the comments anyway. so many different interpretations ;)i also thought a feeling of “loneliness” is interesting. people want to be needed, or need (dedicate to) something. (maybe “need” could be “love”) the person feel like he/she is not needed, or if there’s nothing he/she needs, he/she will….ummmmm…some beguile with cheep laugh. some feel like there is no one who can understand he/she. but people wanna have some kind of hope deep down inside…digressed…

ur show starts THIS Saturday!! (the opening is friday!!) u need to tell us about the show!!! 😉

9. amp101 on July 5, 2008 at 4:35 pm

Thanks a bunch for explaining your video to us. Glad you give everyone a chance to take it all in before making the grand reveal of it all! Again, thanks for sharing!

10. I_B_Long on July 5, 2008 at 10:27 am

not to be impatient, but you said you’d post more videos this week….. its been 5 days! come on! (i need something to blog about…lol)
    thanks for all that you do and for being such an inspiration to me and (hopefully) all your other fans!

11. Kian on July 4, 2008 at 12:25 pm

Mad;
    Inteligent;
    Known;
    Elegant;

Saviour;
    Happy;
    Imaginative;
    Nice;
    Optimum;
    Dear;
    Adorable;

12. Kate181 on July 4, 2008 at 9:40 am

a cool vid.. especially the german music television lol most of this commerce is real shit.. what do you might think about it!??
    but it’s also interesting to see how a famous person (like you and the other guys) travel around… and it’s always the same – sitting in a plane/car – sleeping in a hotel room – fans waiting @ the airport/hotel; screaming aso… I can’t imagine how this could be but it might be very boring after a time.. only the different cities would make it more interesting..🙂 another city, another people, another culture!! hope to see more of those vids.. a small trip to the “private” life (travelling) of MS😀
    take care… Love Kate

13. zimminator on July 3, 2008 at 6:15 pm

dude thats cool that you are making another one! that was super cool to watch, and i could not stop laughing when you showed what was on tv haha! lol u r awseome!🙂 but it was wierd to see someone that could be me wanting to see you….its so much different….but it makes me realize that i can never become a ‘friend’ of yours, or of any of the band members.😦

14. Andizzle on July 3, 2008 at 1:30 pm

Its strange. watching that video I got the notion that the “famous person” is infected with a contagious disease. The rest of the world is behind window panes and barriers. The “famous person” is whisked quickly from one place to another under police escort, only to end up in yet another hotel room, alone, as if to prevent contaminating the rest of the world.

actually this video made me feel really sad.

15. asianotter on July 3, 2008 at 12:59 pm

keep them coming . . . can’t wait for the next. i still have some of the images of Sirens and Silence in my head. thanks again for sharing!

16. cuz on July 3, 2008 at 5:00 am

2) your silence gives such a thoughtful and eye-opened atmosphere… i just hope you guys don’t feel it like me. i don’t want you to feel lonely, i want you to be happy. hope you are. and i love the way you play with us, hope you had fun🙂 love you all

17. cuz on July 3, 2008 at 4:59 am

1) really good film. i also had the feeling of huge loneliness. especially “insomnia” bit. i was like “Mike can’t fall asleep? :((( ” so it’s good it’s funny for you. the scenes with screaming fan girl was horrible. i think i would kinda die in such situation, very embarrassing… i think such situation are the most weighty to people for who fame was not a goal but they just wanted to share thier art. the contrast between sirens and silence makes the feeling of loneliness much bigger for me

18. Madlen on July 3, 2008 at 4:22 am

haha you love playing with people’s minds:DI guess the images of different celebrities in the begging gave a hint about the movie-that it could be for any of those people…Really the coolest thing is that everyone can see it their own way:)great job:D

19. YourConscience on July 2, 2008 at 8:35 pm

I FIND IT FUNNY HOW MANY PEOPLE 1. THOUGHT THIS VIDEO WAS MEANT TO BE SPECIFICALLY ABOUT YOU (because I, for one, was actually surprised that you included the part at the end with people screaming for you and Chester – personally, I think it would’ve been better if you had footage of people behaving the same way, but without screaming specific names…), AND 2. DIDN’T REALIZE THAT THERE ARE UPS AND DOWNS TO ‘CELEBRITY LIFE’ (because, honestly, who doesn’t realize that there are good AND bad things about life, despite who you are, or how well known you are?).

20. akitagirl on July 2, 2008 at 8:00 pm

I think you really gave the viewer the feeling that they were in the center of what was going on. It really made you think – anyone that thinks fame does not come with a price and that it solves everything should watch this. We all see the perks of fame, but for every perk there has to be a counterpart. Nice job – wish I was out on the west coast to see the show! Bring it out to the East coast Mike!!!!

21. ColorScheming on July 2, 2008 at 6:38 pm

Yea me personally, I actually got a brief moment of clarity and silence in the hotel shots. I am not going to lie there was a couple shots in the video that made me feel like my stomach was in knots, due to the crazyness of everything, so the car scenes and the hotel gave a little break from the absolute mayhem of everything else. Yeah i like the fact it was about every celebrity. Hopefully everyone got that. I could not imagine being someone like michael jackson, you wonder why he celebrites are nutt jobs waiting to explode.

22. Zip on July 2, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Well first, i agree with ASHo_O – Visit Riga with exebition ^^ We’ll be waiting for You)

Im just happy to know, that this strong, conceptual but still kinda depressive movie is not about You personally. I was upset, ’cause all that looks very very intimately and personal – everyone thought You ‘opened your soul’ for us. But I see You didn’t, thank god.) I thought You are having depression or something alike😀

cheerzz from Latvia

23. Parker on July 2, 2008 at 2:52 pm

and I still can’t see the video section xD

24. ash0_o on July 2, 2008 at 2:46 pm

it was really strange for me to see this video and feel the atmosphere of the loneliness after your gig in riga. you looked so happy there) i like the video, i wish i could visit your exhibition… but los angeles is so far away😦

25. comfortzone on July 2, 2008 at 2:13 pm

part2
    Especially the wind gave me the feeling of freedom and actually watching the sunrise must be really wonderful. When you r on top of the world you are literally and metaphorically above everything. I could go on like that forever. Your film is awesome.
    Btw, your show in Duesseldorf was a-m-a-z-i-n-g ! I hope you enjoyed it as much as I and many other people did. Unfortunately, Germany didn’t win😦 but thank you for your support and your great performance.
    See you next time🙂

26. comfortzone on July 2, 2008 at 2:12 pm

part 1
    At first, I experienced your film almost completely negative. But now that you actually talked about it, and after I had watched it for the second time, I changed my mind. In the first scenes I felt sick because of all the celebs being photographed and the intimidating screams and the clicking sound of the cameras. The whole scenery seemed so superficial, people posing, unnatural smiles, as though they were all puppets of the media. But the part where you were heading for the plane was like a relief.

27. twix on July 2, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I just done watching the video. I LOVE watching documentary and I gotta say, your short film is one of the best I’ve ever seen. I think it’s great that you didn’t have any commentary or such in the video which made it feel more real. For some reason, your film really touch me on what life is all about.

I notice some fans here posting & assuming that you may not like your fans. I don’t think that’s the point of the film. The film’s about what someone famous may have to go through on a daily basis.

Awesome work on the flim, Mike!!! =)

28. Raych on July 2, 2008 at 1:19 pm

Hi Mike!

I just want to say how FANTASTIC you guys were at the Milton Keynes Bowl! It was the best day of my life, and I also wanted to know if the rumours are true that it is going to be made into a DVD! I really hope so because then everybody can experience and enjoy the AMAZING performance of Projekt Revolution at the Bowl!!!

29. EllePi on July 2, 2008 at 12:32 pm

“In reality, the artist is someone who has been reduced to an inner slavery condition by the public consciousness of his period”. No doubt, you are an artist Mike. (I hope you understand my translation^^) Caroline from France

30. rockermeg on July 2, 2008 at 12:17 pm

Before I go I would like to say a massive THANKYOU for the Milton Keynes show. It was my first LP concert and it was AWESOME!!! I loved the whole Petrified/Points of Authority…especially when everybody else had no idea what you were doing! Hahaa! Also Rob’s drum solo at the end of Bleed It Out was stunning!!!

Thankyou thankyou thankyou sooooo much!!! You have no idea how much it meant for me to see you guys!! Best day ever!!!

You guys rock!

BiggestFanForever,

Megnxx

31. rockermeg on July 2, 2008 at 12:16 pm

Haha! I thought the guys were being unnaturally quiet!

I thought that getting some video footage that fitted with your artwork was a great idea.

I love that you chose this subject Mike because you’re a talented and well-known musician but you still recognise the insanity of celebrities. That shows that people don’t have to be like that to be sucessful…it’s like contradiction but in a good way that makes the whole thing clearer…if that makes sense…?

Congratulations again,

Megnxx

32. NeneLP88 on July 2, 2008 at 11:43 am

That’s the post I was waiting for!! (I was worried about you posting something else =P)

I had understood you wanted to focus on the double interpretation anything can have. Closing urself in a super-cool hotel room means relaxing and keeping all the rest out of that door? Or does it mean loneliness & sadness faceing urself? All the fans chasing you, the escort..are they simply exciting or can they be really frustrating sometimes? Anyone has his opinions about that =) I love the way u make our minds work!

I wish u are happy with this kinda life =)

I’d die if I were you! -.-‘

33. ChazyChaz_LP on July 2, 2008 at 11:13 am

@ RomanaW: I would never dare to tell Mike what to do or not! Yeah, it’s his blog and I appreciate that he’s so close to us and talks to us in that way. I just wanted to share my thoughts. If Mike has something against my opinion I bet some moderator will kick my ass off LPN ;p
    -Jay.

34. I_B_Long on July 2, 2008 at 10:29 am

i already commented but i need to say one more thing:
    i didnt really understand most of the previous post (sorry MSGIRL) but i definitely second that we are indeed lucky fans. most “celebs” arent this close to their fans. thanks mike, you truely do ROCK!

35. msgirl on July 2, 2008 at 10:09 am

3rd post.i ‘ve just watched ur video 3times .and u wanna include these stuffs on ur artshow?about fame?why?it’s very interesting to me.but it seems like u really interested in famous people(including u) yeah?being famous doesn’t mean having pressure,boring life…some people do these things.but u r different.u give a great inspiration to us,also u love ur fans don’t u?u post us blogs,and u exchange ur ideas with us.how lucky fans we r?so u r real famous person .u must be very glad that u r famous.cuz lots of people want to be like u,lot’s of fans are supported by u.i’m sure u know this…but maybe u need extra opinion by ur fan.remember that u r real star…:)

36. Parker on July 2, 2008 at 10:07 am

it’s beautiful Mike, just beautiful😛 it was bad but from the other side it was an interesting for you, and I think for other people (I meant people who received comment😉

have a nice day all🙂

37. Malwusia on July 2, 2008 at 9:59 am

I LOVE MY HUSBAND!!!!!!!!
    :D:D:D:D

38. Malwusia on July 2, 2008 at 9:53 am

MIKE?CAN I HAVE A QUSTION?=] COULD YOU WRITE SOMETHING TO flexy0@buziaczek.pl ?? THIS MY BEST FIREND’S EMAIL AND SHE IS 18 IN SEPTEMBER SO I WANTED TO BRING HER SMILE AND YOU CAN HELP ME….SO I HOPE THAT YOU’LL FIND SOME TIME:D THANKSSSSS!! SMILE AT CHAZ FROM ME=]

39. RomanaW on July 2, 2008 at 9:48 am

@ChazyChaz_LP’:
    It’s Mike’s blog, he can do with it what he wants…
    I like the idea behind from him. even though i’ve thought days about the vid…

40. ChazyChaz_LP on July 2, 2008 at 9:29 am

If you mean me, it wasn’t imprudent.

41. ChazyChaz_LP on July 2, 2008 at 8:43 am

I’m really kinda pissed right now, Mr. Shinoda! -.-‘
    It wasn’t that funny like you guess. We really reflected much on this video, … yeah, we did too much interpretation-work but… who cares.
    I will never ever worry about something you made.
    You did that to enjoy yourself with our reactions? I feel deceived.

42. msgirl on July 2, 2008 at 8:37 am

but u showed us that u r very brilliant video maker…thanx.i am really glad that u don’t do these stupid things (private jet,fans,guards)all the time…..i hope u r different from other stars….that’s why i’m ur fan…cuz other stars have a lot of pressure,and stress..for some stars, fame made them worse than they used to be…(britney) i think. and eventually stars don’t wanna be famous that they start to hate their fans maybe all things around them.that’s why i thought u were like others.the video was like them.please,i’m sure ur life is normal like us.(fun,family,friends,warm)..think that ur fans r ur friends.. :)and ur best friends

43. Miky1977 on July 2, 2008 at 8:36 am

YES MIKE! :)great!

44. msgirl on July 2, 2008 at 8:30 am

ohh…..i was very afraid that i thought u really didn’t want to be famous anymore.but i didn’t wanna dissapoint u that i said it’s awesome.oohhh….don’t post such videos again…okay?i thought that u were so different (like other stars)from u r in lpvideos(funny) in real life.u don’t like ur fans,u don’t like being famous..please don’t do it again…do u know that i ‘ve thought about this video for 3 days?i was like why mikey doesn’t wanna be our idol?is mike’s life really boring like in the video?how difficult is this?mikey has such a difficult life?he is afraid of his fans?..bla bla bla…my mind was full of that silence of video and scare.please don’t make any fun with us again

45. ShadowerLiltani on July 2, 2008 at 8:09 am

I actually glad you don’t go through what you went through in the video every single day. The video did give me that be careful what you wish for sense, because, while I would love to be an establish writer, like, Stephen King kind of status, I don’t want to be constantly bothered by whacky fans. I don’t mind the whole signing autographs thing and meeting people, it’s people like the dude who shot John Lennon and Devon Townsend that I don’t want up my butt. Oh, and to the comment below mine, before LP, Mike did live like the rest of us. He wasn’t born into to fame, he acquired it.

46. Yoko_Nagisa on July 2, 2008 at 8:07 am

Hey, Mike.
    Listen, and you ever wanted to be a normal person, something Bob, to work in the office, have 5 children, and live without all this? without fans, without a band? without flights? without autographs?

47. shinoda_me on July 2, 2008 at 7:46 am

oh… hotel rooms are peace and everything but if im a ‘home-oriented’ person it must be quite a bit annoying considering the frequency of your (celebrities in general) travel … would you say your life is monotonous??

have a nice day! =)

(im still not able to get used to the fact that fans dont jump around you everytime you’re in the airport or are walking around… haha … but at the same time, im glad it doesn’t happen to you)

48. shinoda_me on July 2, 2008 at 7:43 am

okay .. firstly, that was a smart move letting us talk before you let us know what the real stuff is…
    now, in all honesty i’d like to know whats ‘funny’ about havning insomnia? i mean in my case if i had insomnia for few days before a big exam its amazing .. or if i got something to meddle with that i cant if i dont sneak when others are asleep and i ‘suffer’ insomnia its great … funny when its unexpected … but if i travelled a lot and slept like an idiot at all the wrong times and woke up to find no company but a damn TV… boy, i dont know…

49. Ilo on July 2, 2008 at 7:43 am

Hey Mike, thanks for your point of view. I think many people, me included, felt more depressed about the video than you meant it. In such a life you have many contrasts…being all alone in a hotel room, the next moment you are in the middle of a crowd of sreaming people…. But you can do for work what you really love: Music! Not many persons can earn enough money with what they love…… again me included ;-)) So enjoy your life and let the rest of the normal working people feel better when they are listening to your music!!

Big hugh, Ilo

50. Yuki on July 2, 2008 at 6:22 am

i didnt really feel like i needed an explanation. i kind of thought what you wrote, mike. when i saw this hotel room i was like: wow..i wouldnt wanna be here all the time. i really like that video and showed it to some friends. you could do this more often, posting some videos that really make ppol think about that stuff.
    and also i love this insomnia thingy😀 just great haha! i love the german stuff..hier kommt die maus xD

uh btw i loved projekt revolution last sunday in milton keynes, gb😀

51. axrinekey on July 2, 2008 at 5:12 am

Wow…
    Now you said about it…
    I did feel a little lonely when I recall the video…
    Cold… dark… loneliness…

Anyway, thank you for the video!
    It’s (still) really great.🙂
    Think I’mma go watch it again! >D

52. Mel on July 2, 2008 at 5:12 am

ooooh , I got it, be frank , I felt sleepy when I wacthed this vid at first but is was funny to be exact silence.

53. Umi on July 2, 2008 at 5:11 am

I feel reminded of German class in high school, when we wrote/talked about our personal interpretation of various texts, before our teacher told us, what the author himself said about them (if he said anything at all) – ‘though their original intentions were barely as interesting as yours🙂 (mine about my texts are often pretty boring as well -lol-). Nothing what you said in this post ‘destroyed’ what I thought/felt about that video, so… yay😄 But good to hear, that it really isn’t like that all the time. So there will be more stuff like that? Nice… ^_~

54. I_B_Long on July 2, 2008 at 4:21 am

thank you for giving me something to really ponder this week (my head is smoking, feels great lol)
    i posted the video in my (brand new) blog and wrote quite a bit about it. im really excited to see what my friends will say about it, since most of them arent fans of yours. because, lets face it. anyone who comments on it here on your blog is a bit biased. check out my ramblings if you like: http://whereiblong.blogspot.com/
    YOU ROCK!

55. pbizkit33 on July 2, 2008 at 4:19 am

after reading mike’s comment and watching the video again, i can see both points of view. when mike was walking around the hotel room with no one else in there or traveling by himself to foreign countries could, a person, could definitely feel alone. the scene where mike put the do not disturb sign up on the door made me think about finally ending a hectic day and just being able to unwind and finally relax.

56. MaryAsh on July 2, 2008 at 3:17 am

10% luck, 20% skill 15%concentrated power of will 5%pleasure, 50% pain & 100% reason to remember the name – Mike Shinoda
    I got from the start the vid wasn’t only bout ur life! I should say – Great WOrk! THis put a lot of thoughts in my mind how stressful, monotonous and full of pressure ur tour may be. But at the same time goin thru this gave u new material and inspiration for Glorious Excess
    p.s. your site Mike is a very good place to hang out, share our opinions and learn from each other!!!!

57. CHEN_IL on July 2, 2008 at 3:03 am

i realy love this video and i’m looking forward to watch more videos:] i felt realy special when i watched it. love u mike:] don’t forget to come to israel, yea?

58. Shinodabestfriend on July 2, 2008 at 2:28 am

You made a grat work…😀 I see how your job will be diffucult… one question only…… Are you sad for this? ;(

59. crystalrussianla on July 2, 2008 at 2:27 am

ok i loved the video but didnt see anything new was there suppose to be…?
    maybe i missed red it i dunno so goood job

oh mike i went everywhere to looking for the shoe’s i didnt find them
    so when r thay gunna be out realy ….?

60. Daga280 on July 2, 2008 at 2:14 am

nice work man🙂 when i watched this i was thinking about how such perone’s lifes r empty and lonely… every1 have different feellings about this movie because its without any suggestions how to understand it etc smart move😉 haha waitin 4 mooore😉

greetS D A G A 2 8 0

61. yohannaaaa on July 2, 2008 at 2:12 am

I really enjoyed watching Sirens and Silence and I really love how much you guys apprentice your fans and that you always have the energy to sign all those autographs, talk to them, and that you’re always behaving so nice even though the fans can get really heavy, you always make the best out of the situation.
    You know what I think you should do sometime? Make a video blog mike :):) that would be so funny!
    Have a great day, I love you!

62. skindesbous on July 2, 2008 at 1:37 am

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW! What was the way the people called you? artist? ._. They call me ‘Hell’ They call me ‘Stacey’ They call me ‘her’ They call me ‘Jane’ That’s not my name! That’s not my name! That’s not my name! That’s not my NAME! They call me ‘Quiet Girl’ But I’m a riot… Mary, jo, lisa Always the same That’s not my name That’s not my NAME!(8) hehe =D

63. lp_fm_fan on July 2, 2008 at 12:51 am

Mike, please tell us WHEN the shoes are gonna come out. You said…the beginning of July then you said July 1st then you said after the art show.

I’m going with your latest comment about the shoes. But still, a specific date? or in between dates? Please. I know that you’re busy with your show but…I need those shoes, they’re so amazing. And I finally got my parents to buy them for me. Since PR made me completely broke, lol.

-Ana

64. Mag_Shinizzle on July 2, 2008 at 12:45 am

Thank you for that, Mike… you gave 2 different perspectives for some specific moments in the vid (like loneliness or warmth in those hotel rooms), that I didn’t even think about. I only saw one perspective, and that make your vid even more interesting now. You did an amazing job, and I can’t wait for the next videos🙂
    Wish I could come see your art show😦 Thanks for sharing and take care ! Greetings from France, Mag.

65. RomanaW on July 2, 2008 at 12:12 am

Sorry, have to add something, but i’ve a fight with the 700characters ;- )
    When i DO take Lp as the persons in the vid & I see the screaming fans,
    (they are really ashamed i guess, when they see themself :-P)
    I realize i’m not i that way ‘obsessed’ by LP, but i deal with i by looking gig-pics, keep looking on various LP-(fan)sites & LP-related tats. I’ve allready 2 lp-related tats, one of them is a piece of lyric from BTH.
    16th July i’m getting my third one🙂

I Hope you’re glad to be back home in the U.S🙂

66. maria on July 1, 2008 at 11:56 pm

sorry for my mistake (look up the comment below) if you like. But what exactly is the cause of the events chain that is shown in this video? (that’s what I wanted to correct🙂
    Have a nice day)

67. RomanaW on July 1, 2008 at 11:53 pm

He Mike,
    I’ll keep this post shorter than 3 times the 700 characters😉
    I was alsoone of the poeple who commented like it was you’re life, but i kept in mind that it can be any celebrity.
    But it’s stil in my mind & won’t get out of it…
    I still think that its a hard life to live, but i also know there good things about being a celebrity.
    Thanks for the second post when you gave you’re description of the vid.
    I like the idea to post the vid first & see what people thinking about it, Cause you get much comment,
    each person thinking & feeling different by the vid.
    Thanks for that, i’ve read each comment given on the vid, because i was curious how other people felt/thought about it.

68. maria on July 1, 2008 at 11:51 pm

space in this case means the attempt to hide from trying to be honest, from little things that are near us and sometimes we miss them. And thoughts and wishes that can reify into every thing that at first seems to be so useless and stupid after sometimes is the cause of something that influences on the whole chain of events. But what exactly is the cause of the events chain that is show in this video? I think that Time and Space is the response. As you might kinda know Time and Space are very relative (relativistic) categories🙂 And this is the 20th interpretation of your masterpiece🙂 withouth a doubt🙂

69. maria on July 1, 2008 at 11:37 pm

for example, when I read your verses I have many thoughts about it) So they can be viewed from many points)
    You’re right saying about “feellings and different interpretations”. Of course it’s true) I agree with it)
    And you kinda kept us in a loop) with the description) that’s nice and great🙂
    so as I’ve already said don’t loose the abstract perception ( this is the mirror of your soul) in this cold world. Keep writting like this🙂

70. maria on July 1, 2008 at 11:25 pm

Hi Mike🙂 I was so blind. It was so concrete to say things like this piece was about your life)
    Now as I’ve read your description about it I understood my big mistake that followed me that day: my concrete perception of it) Also I can say that due to my simplyfication of it I didn’t focus on a liitle detail that seemed not to be fixed anywhere: the space that surrounds us, the paranoia of thoughts distraction and wishes materialized or reified into a circle that just like chips can jape with you or even can jeorpadize everything. Don’t loose this ability as this is the mirror of your soul, to my mind).

71. Carla on July 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm

Pt. 2:
    Anyways, regarding the hotel part…all I had to say was: “DANG.” (I was in awe) However, I could totally relate going to the window, even if it wasn’t intentional, because I really like vast and huge areas. The insomnia made me laugh too, especially since the first clip was an Asian boy band lol. Happen to remember the name of the 3 songs from that part?

I appreciate that it’s open to interpretation, which is the same case for alot of your music actually. Keep it up, can’t wait for the art show, and thank you for sharing it!

72. Carla on July 1, 2008 at 10:39 pm

It’s such a powerful video, in my opinion. I think it actually installed fear inside of me towards the end, haha…and I did like the reference to “Richard Cory” because I read the actual poem (not the song) in school not too long ago and remembered how we had to analyze it. I showed this to a couple of my friends, and their responses were so vauge and somewhat emotionless, but you could tell it certianly showed a new view to it.

73. lynndarwinharris on July 1, 2008 at 8:58 pm

Thank you for acknowledging our reactions to your video. You did a wonderful job. I can’t wait for the items to purchase for the art show! Have a great day!

74. KATHYxx on July 1, 2008 at 8:55 pm

“a large portion of it is wide open for interpretation, and all of us project our own feelings and experiences into it.”

thank the great fish of greenland, I’m always happy to see an artist remember this.

75. ms_shock on July 1, 2008 at 8:15 pm

It’s very good idea – your video…. It’s my fav xD Wanna hear your comments and faces of course…..

76. nillp on July 1, 2008 at 8:00 pm

DUDE! :O

i’m still impressed with ur words, ur explanation of what u wanted to pass to us.. seriously, i loved it.. i cannot put into words what i felt while reading ur text.. completely amazing!

man.. i’m talking totaly serious, you are a genius..! i’d love to travel through your brain to closely check ur intelligence..😀

anyway. i did love the video.. can’t wait for more..!

keep rocking and take care..

love ya ~ mk’nil ♥

77. linkinrox28 on July 1, 2008 at 7:59 pm

beautiful work. my husband and I live across the street from the Japanese American National Museum – pretty cool watching your signage go up this morning. can’t wait for the show.

78. analoggirl on July 1, 2008 at 7:11 pm

Thanks for commenting on this video. I love that you value your fans’ feedback as much as your ability to express yourself. That’s pretty cool.

79. ro2db on July 1, 2008 at 6:33 pm

What’s the info on your new DC kicks Mike? Werent they suppose to be out today?

80. MissNatalie1984 on July 1, 2008 at 6:31 pm

wow. i would love for one day just to sit and pick at your brain, because i imagine you’d have some very interesting thoughts and views on the way things are in this world.

it wouldn’t matter if you were famous or not, you’d still prove to be an extremely smart, alert, creative, intelligent person. you’re an intriguing person mike, and i like that you’re willing to share the things that make you think and the things that make you tick.

thank you.

81. NoFace on July 1, 2008 at 6:04 pm

I expected this. Well said, you always have your way around with words. I love how you always pull out two sides of an issue and make your story look like images on the mirror of a kaleidoscope. And as I say ‘always’, I make a comparison to other things you have talked about, like the meanings of Hybrid Theory, of Fort Minor or the born of death of Glorious Excess – those things totally capture my interest, but I can’t help thinking about you as a salmon – always come back to your root no matter what. lol salmonNoda. And before this turns out like a fanfic review, I’d say you deserve some kudos for this.

82. NataliaForgotten on July 1, 2008 at 5:48 pm

Amazing, to be honest, I laughed a lot with that video, but I understood what you tried to show us.
    You’re my hero, thank you. o/

83. bec on July 1, 2008 at 5:46 pm

Comment 2

The stalking part and crazy fans were quite terrifying – I found myself thinking ‘God! I would hate to be that intrusive’. I recently got quite offended by a friend who had a radio interview discussing the MK show – the subject of obsessed fans came up and he decided to jokingly mention me and my love for a certain drummer – I’ve never considered myself to be obsessed or stalking you…actually it’s the other way around – you once showed up in a hotel I had an engineering conference at!

There is a line between being a fan and having an obsession…99% of fans are harmless and would leave you alone, though I can see how it can be frightening.

84. bec on July 1, 2008 at 5:44 pm

Comment 1 – grrr @ 700 characters

I found your video to raise a lot of differing feelings – I can certainly see the “loneliness” with the hotels, but that’s most likely because I’ve found myself living out of suitcases and however nice the hotel it always lacks the comfort and warmth of home.

Your “insomnia” part was great – TV in other countries is amazing – additionally sometimes background noise is needed.

85. EllePi on July 1, 2008 at 5:14 pm

Second post : You must know a lot of people like that … you are musician, painter … so an artist plus philosopher🙂 i love your frame of mind, it’s really important to reflect about our society, try to understand it. What a shame there aren’t more artists or famous persons who try to thought-provoking, there would be under idiot persons on this world. Hope the tour is great. Caroline from France

86. EllePi on July 1, 2008 at 5:14 pm

First post : Hello Mike! Your explanation is very interesting. The video construction let us a lot of “suspens”, we have some images, but indeed, we interpret with our sensitivity and celebrities visions. I like the paradox in the video, siren and silence, mob and “loneliness”. I understand what you mean, that could be nice, but that represents many celebrities’ life. They don’t strike a balance in their lifestyle.

87. hybridkyoto on July 1, 2008 at 5:03 pm

i’m really glad you put up your explanation of it… i’d been wondering what it was the drove you to put this together, and now you’ve told us! it kind of worried me at first but now i guess its been cleared up a little and i feel better. you’re so great, even when you’re being a bit dark. (but i think that’s why we like you.) and i also liked the ‘insomnia’ part, as someone who has traveled and stayed up all night watching disturbing things on TV… um… i’m also wondering about those DC’s, too. can’t wait for ’em. wasn’t that today?

88. Giffy on July 1, 2008 at 4:44 pm

u r always make me smile🙂
    Enjoy ur life, play safe & take care

89. Wello on July 1, 2008 at 4:41 pm

That was interesting. It may be because i have a headache right now but i found that very depressing. Probably because you kept the talking to a minimum, their was no background music to go along with it, and you could hear the frenzied cries of the paprazzi and fans. That’s my analysis of why it was so depressing. 😦 Your quotes and encyclopedia entries also disturbed me quite a bit. It reminds you of how people can go too far and it’s frightening. I liked how you quoted Simon and Garfunkel, my mom is a fan and that made me smile, even though the quote was disheartening. 🙂

90. Kian on July 1, 2008 at 4:36 pm

Mike’re even fantastic.You have a perfect voice and are even sweet.I see you live once (which you may want to be me by you all day) and loved mainly because you are still more spin than in the songs fotos.I love that you do / sing both in Linkin Park and in Fort Minor.I like than you come to Portugal more times.Since to hear the first song (Numb) realized that you were going to change my life and you changed .Your music and Linkin Park’s music help me at all times.
    LINKIN PARK forever!

91. alyeska39 on July 1, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I’m one of those who found the “insomnia” part a bit funny. It’s like, you don’t even know what you’re watching, but you’re watching it anyway, just for the hell of it. At the end, the door closing brought, for me, a sense of momentary relief. The sigh and tone of your voice made you sound tired and ready to get in the car and be done with it, if only for a little while. Again, thank you, I love this, it shows a different side to things that we already know about, but never really get to see.

92. alyeska39 on July 1, 2008 at 4:25 pm

I know it’s what everyone else already said, but thank you once again for sharing all this with us. It’s why we’re fans. It’s very interesting to see what you think of things like this. I didn’t really see the video as your life, I didn’t see that as your intentions with it. I saw it partly as insight into the life of a celebrity, as you said, any celebrity. It’s a combination of many feelings throughout the piece. Loneliness, yes, but at the same time you want to be alone; well, left alone, anyway.

93. yun on July 1, 2008 at 3:53 pm

Dammit. I love this. I love how your mind works, how you think about everything, your thoughts, your feelings, your opinions. Nothing is left undone, unsaid, unthought. You really care about things. You’re just.. a great person. I’m happy that you share your stuff with us, it’s very illuminating < 3

94. Hahninator on July 1, 2008 at 3:43 pm

Cool description. I thought you said July 1st (today) was when the DC remix shoes are coming out? Where are they? Don’t forget about them!

95. phi_burns on July 1, 2008 at 3:36 pm

I’m glad i know fully what it means now, at first i saw as an isight to lifestyle of being famous with both the ups and downs that come with it so for me it was very interesting to see the contrast of life for famous and non famous people.

I loved the show at the MK bowl, it was awesome!! hope you guys had a greta time too!

Oh are you going to tell us any more info on the DC’s soon??

96. Sammy on July 1, 2008 at 3:14 pm

thanks for define it i thought about it other ways hehe …. hmm dumb question but when can we buy the dc shoe ??

97. LorenzoErr on July 1, 2008 at 3:08 pm

Its a solid video, definitely opens up imagination and maybe even expectation for the new pieces. I think that the silent parts with the police escort allow you to think what is really going to a celebrity’s mind. I am Looking forward to the new art.

98. Curiosa on July 1, 2008 at 2:56 pm

lol Oops, I missed telling you about my opinion. Oh well. Really to me this was just an informative piece cause I’m very well aware of the good & the bad that comes with being a celebrity just some have it worse than others. It’s not just fans anymore, look at the paparazzi right now. Really the only feeling I had was remembering how I felt when I first heard that Selena had been shot. Such a shame that someone so young & talented could have been killed. Ok I don’t have time right now (or this week) but maybe the next 1 you put up I’ll post a comment. :)~

99. Linkinminor_k on July 1, 2008 at 2:54 pm

Mike…where are the remixed DC’s? I hope you did not forget!

100. Xenith on July 1, 2008 at 2:48 pm

Well, I’m currently sat at home listening to Karl Pilkington on the Ricky Gervais podcasts, browsing your website and eating bourbon biscuits. I would like to video this and ask for your opinion Mike but its 10:44pm and I’m naked LMAO

Man your a bugger for doing this!😛

Great show at Milton Keynes by the way, we all had one amazing night! Still giddy!😀 …Still terribly sun burnt😦

101. Yahali on July 1, 2008 at 2:41 pm

thanks for the explanation! i think people from the comment need this! lol🙂

this video pressured me! lol

102. I_B_Long on July 1, 2008 at 2:41 pm

i thought the insomnia was hilarious, but then i actually knew the words to the song (hier kommt die maus, nightmare of my childhood…yuck) i decided today that i will start a blog because my friends have been asking me too, and i think your video will be the first thing i’ll talk about. that way all my friends will be forced to see it and read about it…
    you rock!
    Bia

103. Raspberry on July 1, 2008 at 2:29 pm

You remind me of a teacher … leaving us to form our own ideas🙂 I tried doing that with the Superman Cup thread on LPU, major fail button moment though, lol

104. Alexandra on July 1, 2008 at 2:21 pm

woow.. a big post:) thank you for your comment ..it was very interesting to read about what do you really think of the video.
    yeah a lot of people thought that it was about you…i’m glad that your live isn’t so sad:D enjoy yourself and take care:)

105. CherryRed on July 1, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Thanks for the clarification on the video. I was wondering what it was suppose to mean and know that makes sense.
    Look forward to your show next week. The Skate Decks & the art book are on my list to buy!

Lauren

106. So_S on July 1, 2008 at 2:15 pm

thanks for clearing it all up, Mike! can’t wait for updates on your art show!🙂

107. PinkWater3 on July 1, 2008 at 2:14 pm

thank you for telling us more about it. i knew you couldn’t just leave it like that. i didn’t know what to think of it and honestly felt like there was a missing piece: an explanation. i really wanted a little bit of information about it before fixing my own opinion. people felt many different things in this video and that’s what’s beautiful about it: people see things differently. i’ll probably watch it again later and understand it better.

108. Mireya on July 1, 2008 at 2:11 pm

A work well done…

109. lp_fm_fan on July 1, 2008 at 2:08 pm

ohh, it wasn’t about you. At first i wasn’t sure if it was or not about you. but now i understand. thanks for clearing that up!

can’t wait for more!