glorious success

July 12, 2008

i’m going to be on a plane tomorrow, and playing shows for the next few days, so i don’t know if i’ll be able to write. just wanted to say a huge thank you to:

-all the people who helped make “GLORIOUS EXCESS (BORN)” happen
-my great friends who showed up and checked things out
-everyone who bought something (and supported the scholarship at ACCD).

-JANM, DC shoes, wemix, james irvine foundation, machine shop marketing, fonseca design shop, bandmerch, and all the amazing people who helped along the way

hopefully i’ll have some pics and links to share soon. in the meantime, i look forward to seeing what you thought–i’ll be looking for your website and blog posts. thanks for coming🙂

thanks!

PS – for everyone else, the items are now live in the merch store…supplies of certain items are VERY limited, so act now.

1. asianotter on July 17, 2008 at 10:29 am

Glorious Excess (Born) was amazing! you should be very proud! ICON was spectacular and i was thrilled that you let it be displayed the way you did. it really needed to be seen both up close to fully appreciate the meticulous attention to detail and viewed from a distance to completely recognize it’s brilliance. MEMENTO MORI was by far my favorite piece, it was stunning and the fine details simply blew me away! and as you stated a photograph simply does not capture the fine details of your work it really needs to be seen in person! thank you, again, for having your show at the JANM instead of MOCA or a gallery . . . you are truly a role model! thank you.

2. HybridMeteora798 on July 15, 2008 at 7:46 am

Amazing artwork Mike. I’d like to ask , and hope that you read this to answer a question a lot of us have been asking. Will there be any surprises in the upcoming Linkin Park Projekt Revolution set lists. (I.E. Older songs, never preformed songs,). You know as well as I do Linkin Park fans can be “demanding.” however I would just like to take this opportunity to ask you simply if there is any information regarding the tour and if there will surprises. Nothing you need to say has to be specific!
    Thanks again Mike. You mean a lot to a lot of people. Including myself.

3. Lindseyartist on July 15, 2008 at 2:26 am

hey mike i looove your new pieces!
    ‘ICON’ is fenamenal!
    very well done!
    how long did it take you to put in all of those dollar signs??
    must have taken forever!
    well anyway i hope you have a great day mike!
    i looooooove you!
    -Lindsey❤

4. lynndarwinharris on July 14, 2008 at 8:31 pm

I just purchased the art book! Can’t wait to get it!! Thanks Mike for sharing with those who could not make it to the show!

5. Fishgoingwest on July 14, 2008 at 10:15 am

Wish it a success with all my heart!!

Happy to hear that all items are available now,but I may not be able to purchase them till next month when I move to London.Cause there’s no FedEx here in my city in China.

6. cuz on July 14, 2008 at 6:09 am

i KNEW it’s going to be a success! you’re very talented, Mike🙂 unfortunately i wasn’t able to come since i live in Poland, but i’m buying the art book🙂 i have previous art book (signed on Lithuania show😀 ) and i can’t get my eyes of it😉 can’t wait for some photos! it was 5 am in my country while you were opening the exhibition and i couldn’t fall asleep from excitement… i was like “Glorious Excess is starting RIGHT NOW😀 “. i hope you had fun🙂 good luck with the shows😉 btw. i was offline for 2 days, after a thunderstorm something happened to internet and i couldn’t write earlier😉

love you🙂

7. lynndarwinharris on July 13, 2008 at 11:29 pm

Finally available for purchase!! Now I can’t decide which one I want!!!! I will sleep on it tonight 2am monday morning east coast and I will purchase Monday afternoon. Thanks Mike!!

8. Y0UNIK0RN on July 13, 2008 at 4:41 pm

I really don’t know if you will read this Mike and it sounds crazy but I have some pay issues going on and I know this work is going to go fast. Is there anyway you could hold one for me until I get my family straightened out first? I promise I will pay just I’m dying for the board called “song” its the most beautiful piece of work I think I have ever seen. If you do read this please email me!

=] otheholyo@hotmail.com

9. YourConscience on July 13, 2008 at 2:37 pm

Rawr. It was amazing to have been there, and it was great meeting you. I wish I was closer to LA so I could just stand and stare like an idiot at the pieces all day. Haha. Anyhow, I’m just about to post my (two part) blog on my LPN site, so if anyone wants to read about the art show from this insane lady’s point of view, please stop by, although (haha) you have to be my friend to read my blogs. =P And no one tell Mike, because if he sees the pictures I posted, it’ll be a dead giveaway who I am. Haha.

10. ell93 on July 13, 2008 at 1:26 pm

now I have a picture of your purchased, but not the money …. : D so I just admire the view …. terrible look forward, to appear more images from the exhibition ….. but good luck

( blackyguitar@seznam.cz )

11. antje on July 13, 2008 at 5:18 am

@ Fianwien: Thanks for the link!!!!!!!

12. Madlen on July 13, 2008 at 3:30 am

I’m so jelaous of the people who got to go:(Why do i live so far away…:(Anyway i’m really inspired by your work though i can’t really draw like at all but i really admire your work,you’re an amazing artist and i just love your style and everything…i’ll get the art book…that will make me feel happy:)

13. Dori on July 13, 2008 at 12:35 am

The art show was AMAZING, Mike! Your art was wonderful and everyone working at the show was exremely nice and helpful! You were so sweet and polite! My new friend and I had a wonderful! Time!

PS. I was the girl in the wheelchair with the 311 shirt….. (:

14. K3vV on July 13, 2008 at 12:19 am

the art show was sweeet!!! the art was awesome, u signed my new skateboard with ur design, and i had fun. Thank God i brought enuff money to buy the board!! if u ever have another art show in LA i’m there!!

15. aaashley on July 12, 2008 at 10:12 pm

mike, grrreat job tonight in Toronto. you guys definitely made it worth the wait in the mud and wet weather. “hands held high” was amazing, and i loved that you guys started with a softer vibe. good luck with the rest of the tour and projekt rev! come back to Canada sooon.. please. : )

16. analoggirl on July 12, 2008 at 10:03 pm

Hey Mike, just got back from Edgefest… thanks for putting on an amazing show! I loved the new set! Too bad you couldn’t make the M&G, but maybe next time. (haha) Once again, congrats on the show. I’ll be sure to pick up a book. 🙂

17. DRO22 on July 12, 2008 at 8:14 pm

i also think that it would be a great idea to do what you did with diamonds spades hearts and clubs; have a couple shirts that are inspired by your current art for music for relief. especially like you did the persona shirt, having a piece cover the whole entire shirt. you should do it with icon or song, which are my favorites.

and good luck with the remixes! they look incredible on the dc site. see you at the first stop of PR: Mansfield baby!

18. DRO22 on July 12, 2008 at 8:11 pm

congratulations on your “glorious success”! haha, you def. deserve it. honestly, this is the most prvacative/contreverial set of paintings ive seen in awhile. this is truly the epitome of thought-provoking art. and it’s art that is dealing with something modern, something people can relate to, whether pro or con. its good to know that there are rockstars liek you out there that actually care about things like this, and that dont give in to fame in a negative way, and people like you are humble enough to pull soemthing like this off. its truly inspirational. you sir are truly inspirational.

-DRO22 from the LPU.

19. shan1105 on July 12, 2008 at 6:53 pm

congrats on a great show! you are truly talented. i hope you think about how lucky you are to have such talent on your plane ride. your the best. see you at PR. have a safe flight! can’t wait for the DC shoes!!!!!!!

20. alexxis on July 12, 2008 at 4:18 pm

hey mike i like to see glorious excess (born) but iam in europe😦 may someday you will make an artshow here, i hope so🙂

your f*cking rock mike, love your music and the passion you talk about all your things🙂

21. Fianwien on July 12, 2008 at 3:34 pm

For the people who couldn’t make it to the show, check this: http://www.thehundreds.com/wordpress/?p=5755

A nice post about the show with pictures.

22. NeneLP88 on July 12, 2008 at 2:20 pm

I already knew that everything was gonna be alright!!😉

Yes, I SUPPOSE the art show was AMAZING too.. x)

HuGs :-***

23. softballgurl on July 12, 2008 at 2:00 pm

the art show was amazing last night! thanx alot for taking the pic with me and signing all my stuff, i think i bought everything that was available, lol anyways i just wanted to say that the art was absolutely beautiful and i want to congratulate u on the success!!

24. King_of_Kings on July 12, 2008 at 1:16 pm

Gotta say the artwork was amazing. I loved the skate decks…I got the “Song” board and thank you for signing it. I tried to take a quick photo but my dad hand was shaking so the photo cam out blurry. Other than that the exhibit was amazing. Be back in January for part two of it.

25. navee on July 12, 2008 at 12:02 pm

CONGRATULATION S M!! I WANT A BOOK!! SEE YA ON THE PR

26. LorenzoErr on July 12, 2008 at 11:42 am

Hey Mike. I have to say these paintings were amazing. I love the fact the digital media was used and acrylic paint on most of them. I wonder if you used illustrator. The trip from Philadelphia was worth it. Thank you for letting LPU members in first and signing our books and decks.

27. ShadowerLiltani on July 12, 2008 at 11:31 am

Glad you enjoyed yourself!! huggle Hope to hear from you soon!!

28. Phoenix on July 12, 2008 at 11:23 am

Hey Mike the art show was awesome!! and thanks for signing my book!! your art was really amazing and I can’t wait until I see the DC remix!! and I can’t wait until I get them!! you rock Mike!!

29. Phoenix10 on July 12, 2008 at 11:07 am

last night was the best.i like the paintings so much.they’re all great!the art book is great!keep on doing your things!

30. comfortzone on July 12, 2008 at 10:50 am

Have fun😀 I’m excited to see impressions from your show !

31. Alexandra on July 12, 2008 at 10:47 am

CONGRATULATIONS, MIKE!!! I’m glad that everything went so good (i guess that after i read some comments bellow:))… Yeah..People you’re very lucky:))) Mike…have a nice flight and have great shows:)))

32. lp_fm_fan on July 12, 2008 at 10:34 am

I’m glad everyting went well. I wanted to get the art book but it says I can’t use paypal? Hmm, and it says it ain’t available…so I guess I missed out. :

I’ll check back later.

33. nicolehayley on July 12, 2008 at 10:05 am

I had an amazing time last night, Mike. I knew you were kinda busy while signing stuff and I didn’t really get a chance to congratulate you for all your work and success, but thanks for signing my book! Your art was absolutely amazing!

34. Jaclyn on July 12, 2008 at 9:28 am

FUCK!!!!! joins to ms_shock )))))))) i wish the skatebords were hanging on my wall RIGHT NOW! Well what’s left is to keep on waiting for pix and your posts that always make my day brighter. I wanna add that it’s pretty nice when you drew your pictures you didnt think to make them in vanitas style, its just turned out to be so. It’s great and natural and soulful. And i want to thank you for moden art that i never understood but now i can feel the spirit of our times. Frankly speaking i believed that great art almost died in the beginning of the XX th century.
    Keep on rocking. make your gigs real HOT!

35. ms_shock on July 12, 2008 at 6:19 am

FUCK!!!!! PPL you are SO happy…..

36. ms_shock on July 12, 2008 at 6:09 am

http://lptimes.com/gallery/albums/Events/2008/gloriousexcess_08.jpg – OMG IWANNA THESE SKATES!!!!!!!! AAAAAAAAGH……………. FUCK I’m gonna mad!!!!!!!! aah….. ok, Mike, you’re so kind, your last post on your blog (this pist) is so pleasure xD Waiting for your photos of this art-show……

37. murry on July 12, 2008 at 6:04 am

Congratulations! I’ll be sure to pick up a book. I wish I could afford a print right now. I was counting on you waiting for a while to put them online. Oh well, maybe they’ll still be around when I’m finally out of the hole.

Be safe!

38. skindesbous on July 12, 2008 at 5:37 am

Today is the IDOLP (International Day Of Linlin Park)LOL
    I feel envy about the people who went to the show… :___

39. rockermeg on July 12, 2008 at 5:13 am

Gonna get the art book ’cause I’m almost completely broke! But $20 is aroun £10 and I can probably scrape some P&P money together…

So bummed I couldn’t be there,but I bet it was awesome.

You’ve put so much hard work into this project Mike. You’re such a talented artist and I love the theme of Glorious Excess,

Have fun with the tour(thanks again for the Milton Keynes show!),

Megan x

40. MusicalMorphine on July 12, 2008 at 4:59 am

Might get that art book as it’s only $20. They ship overseas right? I wonder how much that is.

41. zahra on July 12, 2008 at 4:23 am

i’m soooooooooooEXCITED about the gallery …i’ll try my best to come but i gusse you well understand e if i could’nt….becouce i’m vary far from LA !daaaaaa ! i live in iran !…..

42. zahra on July 12, 2008 at 4:18 am

43. Xenith on July 12, 2008 at 3:43 am

well I cant be more excited, I’ve just purchased a ‘Song’ skate deck and art book. Mike the art is amazing, you have surpassed yourself yet again!

now to just hope someone puts last years skate deks up on ebay… I am still desperate for atleast one of them.

44. keroppi on July 12, 2008 at 3:36 am

Sometimes I hate being from Germany o.O

I’d absolutely love to see your artshow. But it’s just impossible to… fly to the USA and have a look at some artshow in california … is it in california? well, anyway, it’s just too expensive.

But I’m glad you have such a great success w/ it.

See you somewhen hopefully.

Sammy

45. msgirl on July 12, 2008 at 3:33 am

PS…..MIKE…..THESE ARE IMPOSSIBLE TO BUY IN MY COUNTRY………:(

46. sheena on July 12, 2008 at 3:23 am

hey mike
    congrats on the opening of glorious excess (born)
    the art was great
    but the two that stuck out the most were Wine and Memento Mori
    and are now my favorite =]

it was nice meeting you
    although it was kinda weird (and saddening) that those guys that tell people to keep the line moving were telling me that when there was no one in front of and behind me for a good while…O_o lol
    but they’re just doing their job

anyway, hope you and the guys do great this summer

p.s. sorry if i blinded you with my camera flash
    i usually don’t use flash, so i don’t know why it was on =T

47. msgirl on July 12, 2008 at 3:22 am

ohh……i would forgot to say CONGRATULATIONS ON THE SUCCESS OF UR GREAT ARTSHOW!!!! AND KEEP IT UP……MAYBE I WILL HAVE CHANCE TO SEE IT SOME DAY!!!

48. zeljka on July 12, 2008 at 3:20 am

Hey,
    I wanted to order the ‘Icon’-Print and your two art books, but I’m not allowed to pay with PayPal.😦
    So I need to find somebody who can pay with credit card. Hopefully, the print wont be sold out untill than.

49. msgirl on July 12, 2008 at 3:19 am

I WISH I WAS THERE……:( BUT MIKEY NEXT TIME I PROMISE I WILL BE THERE(AT UR ARTSHOW…2YEARS LATER)…OKAY?OHH….IT’S LIKE A NIGHTMARE THAT U WON’T POST ANY BLOGS FOR A WHILE!!!:'(😥😥 BUT I AM LOOKING FORWARD TO SEEING UR BLOG…….:) SO HAVE A NICE TOUR /PRO REVOLUTION……….!!!!! and TAKE CARE, TAKE CARE…IT’S THE MOST IMPORTANT THING…..2ND IMPORTANT THING IS SMILE!!! ON UR ALL CONCERTS U MUST SMILE OKAY? AND WE WILL SEE UR CONCERT PICS WITH UR CUTE,LOVELY SMILE!!!HAVE A NICE DAY!

50. CherryRed on July 12, 2008 at 2:35 am

NO thank you Mike! That was an amazing art show! Thank you for taking the time out to sign my skate deck set I bought and signing all the art books I got for my friends. Loved all the art! My favorite art piece is “Study”! Love the vibrant red in this painting!

Have a fun & safe time touring in Canada and see you again in August @ PR Irvine!

Again thank you for a wonderful art show!

Lauren

51. Shinizzle3 on July 12, 2008 at 2:35 am

omg, your new artwork is soooo diff from the old ones…but honestly … i have to admit´… i loved your old pieces more…sorry but i love the new stuff too, just saying that i liked the old ones better..:]
    mikey i ♥ u, come to Dresden next year, Dresden won’t be ignored!!!! =P

52. antje on July 12, 2008 at 2:25 am

Hey Mike, wish you all the best for your art show!!!!!! It will be a a great sucess for sure!

I bought “‘Glorious Excess (Born)’ Art Book! and “‘Icon’ Limited Edition Art Print” right now! Can not wait to see your art! All the best from germany!!!!!!!!

53. axrinekey on July 12, 2008 at 2:10 am

Owh!! >_<
    I’ll miss your blog, seriously!😦
    Hope you’ll update your blog as soon as possible, then!

Hahahaha! I’ll be waiting for the pictures! xD

Congratulations for the success of Glorious Excess!
    (I really wish I was there :()

54. skyzlmt on July 12, 2008 at 1:58 am

2 for 2 on the sic shows Mike, keep em comin. Im tellin you, at the next show bring some of your hand painted guitars and Ill take a couple off your hands! Theyll fit in nicely between the prints and decks! HAHA Aight well 080108 then I’m counting down till the next show. Late… Srsly tho guitars, next show, put me down for a couple.🙂

55. Yahali on July 12, 2008 at 1:57 am

i wish i was there. -(

anyway i’m happy for you..🙂

56. Vane_Nessa on July 12, 2008 at 1:37 am

Hey Mike! Thanks so much for signing my book, you are the greatest! The art show was awesome! =) Oh and i am the one who asked you if you had gotten the new iphone and you asked me if i did and if i had any problems, well im starting to have problems with it now so i recommend you wait a while to get yours till the good ones start to come out lol So thanks so much once again it was a pleasure to meet you finally =)

57. xoxo_Flor_xoxo on July 12, 2008 at 1:30 am

hey Mike🙂
    i had such an Awesome time at your Art show.Everything was AMAZING!!![of course,every art piece that u create is AMAZING.lol].
    I have to say one of My Favorite pieces is ICON.
    i love the Skelleton & how its like made of dollar signs.lol.
    its incredible!
    anyways,
    i appreciate that u took the time to talk to me for a little bit🙂
    heh….after “making u wait All that time” ..lol.
    Thanks Mike.
    your an incredibly Nice,Awesome Person.❤

58. ColorScheming on July 12, 2008 at 1:26 am

I was there! i just got home. I have waited since 2002 to finally get to meet you. I did it tonight! one problem. All i said was omg! and told you i gave you the letter at the joint.. There is so much more that i wanted to say, after i left i walked down the stairs and almost fell due to my knees shaking. I bought a skatedeck, shirt ,and artbook. Fucking awesome i got them signed! i drove all the way to vegas to go see it. The art was absolutely incredible! im so glad i went! everything seemed to go very smoothly! thanks for everything!

59. Raspberry on July 12, 2008 at 1:22 am

Hiya Mike, i look forward to reading your snippets! Sadly i am in England so had no hope of making your show, what with some stress in real life too. I’m glad you had a great time and i wish you all the best! Take care and best wishes to the guys.

60. Reem on July 12, 2008 at 1:15 am

Hah,thanks for checkin in,you have fun at the shows.Heard the show was great and you signed people’s stuff!!! well done,and congrats in making this ones again.good luck at the next shows,looking forward to your next update with hopefully some stuff of the gallery.Thanks for posting,have loads of fun!

61. Shinodabestfriend on July 12, 2008 at 1:02 am

oh god, Mike… when I read that you gotta lot of concerts to do, I was half crying… HOW THE HELL CAN YOU DO THIS ALL!!!! ….Mike….. try to relax sometimes….. please….. your eyes look so tired… please, Mike…. I wanna see your eyes opened like a puppy as usual….. ;(
    For the rest, you’re ALWAYS the BEST!

62. I_B_Long on July 12, 2008 at 12:53 am

i got something kinda random too. my friend sent this link too me last night and i thought it was hilarious and for some reason it made me think of you. check it out:
    hope you like. have a great weekend.

63. shinoda_me on July 12, 2008 at 12:49 am

hey Mike… kinda random … but did you know that cats NYAA in Japanese and MEOW in English??? o.O
    i didn’t know till now …
    but i think i should give it to the Japanese folks … they NYAA, people…. not MEOW!!!

courtesy: Cat 😀

was wondering if you have one….

64. nillp on July 12, 2008 at 12:47 am

good to know that everything was great..🙂

can’t wait to see pics and links from you..!

here is 5am and i’m with the biggest headache.. so, i’m going to bed now since i was just waiting for your post..😉

anyway. have a great weekend and great shows..

btw. thank YOU for sharing your art with us..😀

take care; love ya ~ mk’nil

65. I_B_Long on July 12, 2008 at 12:36 am

i so wish i could have been there. and (as i said on your last post) i cant even buy anything from the website. so sad now… BUT, im very happy for you. glad everything went well and i cant wait to see some pics. someone on the LPMB is already working on a video, i hope she’ll have it up soon.
    have fun playing your shows the next few days (and tell rob he’s the best drummer ever!)

66. shinoda_me on July 12, 2008 at 12:30 am

wow….
    thanks for coming to just say this …
    i wasn’t there but im just real enthusiastic to see all pics and links …
    good luck for your tour… congrats on the success of the artshow =)

(i STILL want SHH!)

67. Sageous on July 12, 2008 at 12:25 am

Great Art Show Mike! I wish I could have chatted with you though, but the people came with a camera to interview you. Thanks for signing my book and have fun with PR 2008. Take care!