Gay Marriage / LGBT rights

November 12, 2008

I’m going to go out on a limb on this one. Opinions of the commentator aside, let’s talk about the issue of gay rights in the following piece. The following was an opinion piece on Keith Olbermann’s show:

I am pretty sure this conversation is not going to fit in the comments section here on MS.com, so: to the first commenter, please start a new thread on linkinpark.com for discussion on this topic. As a reminder: flaming, slurs (including ones directed at sexual orientation and race), and intimidation will result in a ban of your account, so be respectful.

Thoughtful, intelligent contribution to the topic is the only kind I want to see. Think carefully before you post.

EDIT: based on the comments after this post, I thought some of you might want to see this calendar showing the peaceful protests that are going on in CA.

EDIT 2: some of you who posted here may be interested in this as well: A large group is planning and organizing a nationwide (and somewhat worldwide) effort. Their website, with information on the protest near you, is here:

1. Cockoroach on February 12, 2009 at 9:48 am

Freedom of choice – did you want to talk about it? In one hand, everyone can do what he/she wants in their private life. In the other hand, we can’t go against nature [I mean sexual orientation, because our biological role is posterity]. It’s just moral question [about choice in religion, sexual orientation, race and so on] but we must be in agreement with law. I am agree with Axrinekey – not everywhere we have this choice, this freedom. In my opinion – there’s nothing bad in not traditional sexual orientation.

2. Revenga on November 29, 2008 at 5:09 pm

Great post! I think it’s really courageous. The whole thing about gay marriage is a very controversial issue. With that speech everything was clarified, that had to be said. This is why, I think that post is really adequate. It is great that something like this was “said” on a page like mikeshinoda.com because in that way many people can be achieved. Young people with the potential to make a chance.

3. axrinekey on November 21, 2008 at 12:57 am

I don’t really mind gay marriage…
    I mean, it’s their choice to get gay marriage anyway, not yours, so why care so much?

Not every countries have freedom of religion I must say.
    At least not here.

I’ve seen gay people before, athough I do feel a little…. shrugs [and have friends who are gay…]
    but at least they found their partners.

and I agree with TaylorKenjiLP🙂

4. LPfmAAF on November 18, 2008 at 10:50 pm

discrimination isnt ok. i’m for gay marriage. 1 question. why not? what downside does gay marriage have? dont bring religion into this cuz we have freedom of religion. marriage has always been between a man and a woman but not long ago blacks couldnt marry whites. before that our country had marriage be only of the same race. but we changed that part of marriage because it was discrimination. would you change the definition of a word in order to stop discrimination? and also, wat makes it wrong?

5. doubting_thomas on November 18, 2008 at 4:52 pm

i have no problem with a ban on gay marriage

i’d quite like to see a ban on all marriage

it’s an absurd, outdated tradition that should be done away with. marriage is a system by which a man agrees to take posession of another man’s daughter, whereby she becomes his property and is to serve him and bear him heirs. it’s a buisness contract, not a sacred pledge of devotion.

6. BoC on November 16, 2008 at 8:18 pm

I don’t really have a problem with gay people. I think it’s not really normal and probably “not what god intended”, but I think it’s wrong that if two men have been together for years and yet can’t make decisions if one of them ends up in the hospital or something like that.

7. Andizzle on November 16, 2008 at 4:27 am

Love conquers all

8. TaylorKenjiLP on November 15, 2008 at 2:47 pm

i am straight, but i think gay marrige shouldnt even be questioned. things like this are your own decision, and i dont think any other human beings in this world have the right to take that decision away from you. i really dont understand why people argue about this, because to me it seems so simple. no one is getting hurt by it, and no damage is being done, so why should it be unaccepted? i dont even know why it would effect one who’s straight, because its not taking any of our rights away. you cant change who you are, or what you want. and no one should try to change it for you. i think this is something that people should just get used to or look past, because it’s not going to go away.

9. Kira on November 15, 2008 at 1:26 pm

I went to the protest in New York City today. It was amazing. For the life of me, I will never understand people like the person below me.

10. LInkinXBoxPark on November 14, 2008 at 9:47 pm

there are many things wrong with gay marriage. I believe that a gay person can be a perfectly nice person, but I personally wouldn’t like to become in anyway close to them. Serveys have been done that show how a mojority of gay people turn gay or are gay not due to a mental disorder, but because an important event that has occured to them in their life or they are just confussed. I believe everyone has the right to find happiness, but i do not approve of it because I have found that unstraight peopl often have lets just say “liberal” veiws on a lot of issues, and plus it goes against my religion, and i hope i dont get band for that cuz idk if it was allowed or not, pls dont

11. Aister on November 14, 2008 at 4:36 pm

I realise this isn’t about gay marriage, but I don’t know if you’ll ever bring up the subject again so I just wanted to comment in my own way. I just wondered, as you’re obviously not homophobic, where do you stand on working with other artists that might be? I’m sure you might not want to answer this kind of question, but I thought to hell with it, I’ll ask it anyway, obviously up to you if you want to respond. Thanks.

12. lynndarwinharris on November 14, 2008 at 4:28 pm

I agree with Keith Olbermann’s comments and I am straight. Love knows no boundries.

13. Eamer on November 14, 2008 at 1:31 pm

My sister just got married to a woman here in the UK, well its called a ‘civil partnership’ but has same meanings as a wedding does so its cool. Till she met her partner she was so unhappy for like 21 years of her life and we never got on, now she is soooooooo happy and a whole new person and we get along great now. So i think people whether gay, straight, bisexual or whatever should do whatever makes them happy!

14. urockmysocks on November 14, 2008 at 10:18 am

Personally, I find nothing wrong with gays or gay marriage for that fact, but being a member of a very strict church, the society in which I spend my Sundays with rejects the whole idea. I just have to accept it, don’t I?

15. Fox on November 14, 2008 at 8:38 am

I don’t think I’ll ever understand why people are so opposed to gay marriage. Opponents always argue that they are attempting to preserve the sacredness of unions, which would be tainted by LGBT couples. Bull. Complete and utter bullshit. Gay couples want to protect marriage just as much as hetero couples do, if not more so. To deny me the right to marry because I’m in a SGL relationship is unreasonable, unfair, and it should be unconstitutional. Oh, and in case you didn’t know, SGL is Same Gender Loving, for transsexual people in gay relationships.

16. NoMoreSorrowGirl on November 13, 2008 at 2:05 pm

I have so many friends that are gay…so what their cool guys to be with…and come to think of it…even if that rights will passed or not do you thing it will change the world we live in? I mean like no more war on other countries sending millions of troops their? Do you thing the global warming will reduce? Do you thing the earth will be totally at peace? I don’t think so…so whats the matter if they’re inlove each other…if you don’t like them then FUCK OFF! Right Mike? So whats your opinion? Take Care:)) Stay cute as always:))

17. dora on November 13, 2008 at 12:47 pm

All human beings are born free and equal in dignity and rights. They are endowed with reason and conscience and should act towards one another in a spirit of brotherhood….gays should have egual rights too,if they want to get married they can do it whenever they want to….they are normal just like ….!

18. psykobouliz on November 13, 2008 at 12:15 pm

My best friend is gay. Unbelievable to see how people treat him. We live in a big town, so people should be more aware. They call him bitch in the middle of the street, he told me “Do I call them dirty hetero? No, so why they call me dirty gay?” People aren’t tolerant and sayin that “all the men born free and equal in rights” is unfortunately false. Gay should have the same rights concerns the marriage. Seriously, do you think it’s better letting what they call the “normal” people married while they’ll divorce in 2 years from now or letting gay married as they’ll be happy together for the rest of their life? I wanna tell them : come on, we’re in 2008, Stone Age is over. Wake up.

19. shinoda_me on November 13, 2008 at 5:15 am

well… i’d be real pissed if someone forced me into marrying another woman… so i guess sexual orientation of an individual is purely his/her choice… so why worry about someone else’s desires? for one thing, you know he/she is gonna be happier being gay/lesb… on the other hand, no birth control measures😛

20. rde on November 13, 2008 at 3:21 am

I think gay marriages are totally acceptable. I just made a school presentation about death penalty and I found out that in some countries gay people are executed just because they’re gay. That’s so cruel..
    But Mike sorry about flooding (I know you hate it), but I just want you to see my sneakers! I’m sure you love sneakers and that would be a dream come true for me if you could give your opinion of my shoes..

21. ThePrincess on November 13, 2008 at 2:49 am

Gay marriage is totally and completely acceptable..if they love each other which’s the big problem ? It’s not wrong to be in love with your own sex,we have no right if we try to take love away from them!!!..but some people still believe it’s wrong. How sad..
    NOTHING IMPOSSIBLE IN LOVE.. right?

22. Ezza on November 13, 2008 at 1:50 am

i reckon they should have equal rights. i mean in someways its similar to the segregation of white and non white Americans and women not being aloud to vote or have an opinion. my gay friends are some of the kindest people that i know. why shouldnt they have equal rights with hetrosexual couples?

23. karma_capella on November 12, 2008 at 11:46 pm

oh, lord. i don’t understand why some people hate gays and lesbians. i think this guys have a right to love. it’s sad when they disguise them feelings cause they don’t want to be in disgrace.

P.S. i’m pretty sure your new album will the best LP’s album ever. good luck during the recording tracks. thank you.
    kisses, Nina

24. WorldWarrior19 on November 12, 2008 at 9:29 pm

A few weeks ago in my AP Euro class, we learned that Europe a few hundred years ago thought all of their beliefs were the correct ones and every other nations were completely wrong. However these books called “travel literature” started to circulate around Europe and they had accounts of many cultures from different nations. Europe started to see how everyone’s views on life differed, and that there really was no way to prove which is right and wrong, therefore accepting all beliefs. The gay/straight issue is similar because people are accustomed to only straight marriage and oppose other beliefs. But if the issue was looked at from all angles, what is really right and what is really wrong?

25. spraypaintNinkpens on November 12, 2008 at 9:01 pm

Olbermann’s an idiot. I disregard everything and anything he ever says.

26. Frerard on November 12, 2008 at 8:42 pm

am not an american. but my 2 cents is.. i don’t mind gay marriage, even if it’s forbidden by some religion. it’s their life, it’s their call, i personally don’t care. government making this issue as a big deal is because they’re the one who’ll be holding the image of legalising it. them personally, don’t even give a damn about it. it’s just a matter of saving face. that’s all. that’s why they throw back the issue to the public for them to vote. so whatever the result is, it’s your image in line. bollocks.
    not intelligent contribution, but that’s what i thought. what about you, Mr. Shinoda, what’s your opinion on the matter?

27. Squishy_Ho on November 12, 2008 at 7:19 pm

What I find ridiculous in this “sanctity of marriage” message proned by various religious groups across the country is the fact that marriage is not just the fact that you need to marry someone to have kids, to show them your true feelings, etc. Marriage is also “until death do us part”. But hell, I’m still believing, wrongly perhaps, that the US have the biggest divorce rate in this world. How credible can your message of sanctity be when the majority of married couples end up being divorced?

28. Girl_X on November 12, 2008 at 7:06 pm

I am just glad that “Proposition 2” made it!

29. msgirl on November 12, 2008 at 6:33 pm

( SINCE GAYS AREN’T ALLOWED THE SAME RIGHT UNDER THE STATE CONSTITUTION AS ANY OTHER CITIZENS,THEY DON’T HAVE TO PAY THEIR STATE TAXES??) HAHA…i just wanna say that gays are HUMANS too.i am not american but ,since those gays r american citizens they have to enjoy the rights that all citizens enjoy. ‘all men are created equal’,’all americans have life,liberty,and pursuit of happiness’ if really americans want to be created equal,want to have liberty,why they don’t allow the marriage of gays?why there must be pro 8,votings s/th like that?THEY DON’T DO ANYTHING WRONG,THEY R JUST PEOPLE WHO WANT TO BE TREATED LIKE OTHERS,WHO WANT TO FEEL THE JUSTICE,FAIRNESS,LIBERTY.SO LET THEM MARRY!🙂

30. mike_n_LP_4ever on November 12, 2008 at 6:13 pm

Amen!!! I am straight all the way! But I’m with the gay n lesbian people. To be honest, I think that it’s stupid that people worry about this. It’s not them but why should they care about the gays n lesbians? Why can’t they just be happy? They are poeple just like us, and have the same rights, just like us. God made us all equal, but with something different and unique about us; that’s exactly what’s unique about them [Gays n Les.]. Why can’t we all just live in happiness? Why do we have to wage war all the time? I know that mostly all the people that agreed with me on this; their comments all sound the sort of same. But I’m taking this to the MB peeps. My alias is Shinodagurl14

31. KATHYxx on November 12, 2008 at 5:24 pm

This is primarily a Christian debate.
    Except Christians forgot what their religion stood for. Jesus did not die for only the gay people’s sins, he died for everyone’s sins. Everyone is a sinner. The same book that condemns gay people also condemns facial hair. A heterosexual is no different than a homosexual, as they have both sinned. Homosexuality, as with Heterosexuality, doesn’t need government because it’s a victimless act, and thus not a crime.
    A sinner twisting their savior’s words to further their hate is more likely to burn in hell than the fellow sinners they condemn, in the eyes of Chrsitianity. The rest of my post is in the accompanying LPMB thread, page 3.

32. Gemeni2u on November 12, 2008 at 4:52 pm

I personally was floored when I heard Prop 8 passed hear in California. Here like another person stated on this blog we just elected a new president wanting to bring our country together. Another set back. What I thought was even stranger.. and someone can correct me if Im wrong…. Yes on Prop 8 was funded by many religlious groups ? Arnt conservative christians for less goverment in peoples lives ? Am I making since ???? So where is it ANY ones place to tell a human who they can love or not love.Some of the primarly concerns I have heard from people in my community, more then not letting them get married. They dont want them raising kids.

33. LPROCKS on November 12, 2008 at 4:45 pm

Just ban it for everyone – I agree with this guy. I really do think this is so ridiculous that we have to vote for this instead of more important matters. I would have like to vote for how should child molesters be prosecuted or how many DUIs is enough before you go to jail for good, or how many years a spouse abuser should be in jail for, not if gay can marry!!! who cares! in any case redefined marriage for heterosexual couples first, with the amount of divorces every year… it should be banned for heterosexuals too!
    (Maybe gay will teach heterosexuals how to respect marriage since it has become such a big issue.)

34. durg on November 12, 2008 at 4:09 pm

i like what he said & agree with it; i think the whole deal with it is ridiculous.. noones trying to take away anyone elses rights or anything, i think theyre just either being too oldschool or are afraid of change.
    ugh, i could go on & on about this but thats the main point right there.

35. ShadowerLiltani on November 12, 2008 at 4:05 pm

I agree with everything he said. I am tired of people living in a bubble. I am tired of people trying to tell me how I am supposed to live. I am a human being. I bleed. I feel things. I love. I think it is about time those sanctimonious Christians need to stop putting their noses into someone else’s life, and start using an open mind. How about you live a day as an Atheist, and you understand the feeling of having no God at all that won’t tell you to hurt someone to make you look better.

36. bangbangbangonddoorbaby on November 12, 2008 at 3:53 pm

free love to all, who am I to tell someone they can’t marry someone of the same sex? Its about learning to tolerate those who are different. I want my nephew to grow up and see there is nothing wrong with people who marry the same sex and that no matter what we should get along because the big picture in life is we are all the same but unique in every way.

37. MS_Ineedyou on November 12, 2008 at 3:38 pm

First of all, i just want to say” I’M STRAIGHT !!!”But, i think gay marriage is totally and completely acceptable. I mean, people who are against it, listen to this….Okay, you know you love a person when you know that would die for them. You love that person SO much and you want to be with them FOREVER.. Gay people aren’t any different !!! They just like the opposite sex! That doesn’t even matter! It’s what they like! Let them be their own person !I personally love gay people xDDThey gay girls are kinda weird to be around but i won’t judge them for their sexual beliefs..Gay guys are really sensative, sweet, and nice. Who cares if they’re gay !!! Theres nothing wrong with it!!
    —Brooke:)

38. Senzaikyuu on November 12, 2008 at 3:35 pm

Hm..racism has a lot of forms and this is one of the most ”famous” . I think we should find a middle solution so both racists[who are majority and u just cant ignore because of their big number] and gay ppl are happy.In my opinion they should have their ritual but not with the name ”marriage”.Always remember that people don’t care about what really happens but always stuck at the names.No one is going to nag if we call marriage between gays a different way.They have rights too because they are also H.U.M.A.N.S. don’t forget that.Btw,he is the only journalist who isnt screaming about gays.The ones we have here in Greece feel like they are talking about something trivial.

39. salome_28 on November 12, 2008 at 2:16 pm

Hmm, first of all: great that you’re helping to raise awareness. Because it is my personal opinion that in a few years time people will think back to this time and consider it just plain crazy that gay people still can’t get married everywhere. Maybe it’s because I’m from the Netherlands and Gay people can get married here, but why, seriously think about it, WHY? I really,really don’t see a reason why gay people should’t be able to get married. I hope it’s still legible for you guys, cause I have a tendancy of babbeling, whem I feel strongly about something😀

40. alyeska39 on November 12, 2008 at 2:07 pm

Unfortunately, I know some people that I need to send this video to. People I would have thought better of. My problem is the people who are still against gay marriage even after seeing/hearing something like this. How can anyone argue against such a statement? There is nothing left to say against it with out claiming the ridiculous! And yet some people still believe it’s wrong. How sad.

41. LProckisonaroll on November 12, 2008 at 2:05 pm

Its ABOUT TIME they finally discussed this. Its not fair that same sex relationships can’t be recognized as marriage. They’re just the same as heterosexual relationships! There are many benefits that these people are missing out on because they aren’t recognized. It’s not wrong to be in love with your own sex, and who are we to try and take love away from them?

42. I_B_Long on November 12, 2008 at 2:03 pm

i have posted my view on the topic in the thread on the LPMB, so im gonna use my 700 to say (in case you haven’t been reading the blog discussion thread) i am very disappointed that you didnt mention ANYTHING about veterans day yesterday. im glad you care about gays and all, but it breaks my heart to see how ungrateful americans are to their troops. i guess that includes you.

43. ixabel_LP on November 12, 2008 at 1:55 pm

I don’t understand which is the problem… if they love each other which’s the big problem ?
    why they can’t be happy together? my best friend is gay and he is adorable… and I always support him… he’s the most important person in my life… he was always here when I needed support… and if someday he needs support I’m there supporting him..

gays lesbians and other are normal people with lives and feelings as all us… and if we can get married… they also can

Thanks Mike

and sorry my bad english =/

Kisses 4 U ^.^

44. NeneLP88 on November 12, 2008 at 1:54 pm

I already commented on the MB..

Basically it’is matter of being a little more open minded. We’re really all the same, there’s no sexual orientation or skin color to make a person better than another. And as we’re all the same, we should all be given the same opportunities to spend our life with a person who can make us happy and feel appreciated.

So let’s open our minds and let’s try to get rid of 200 years old points of views in politics and religion.

I’m glad you posted this, Mike🙂

45. Rez on November 12, 2008 at 1:51 pm

This is an issue that really shouldn’t be. Gays,lesbians,bisexuals,transexuals, and etc., should be allowed to marry or do whatever that we the “normal” people are allowed to do. Sanctity of marriage is such a hypocrisy when nearly 50% of marriages in this country end up in divorce. There is no more sanctity in a heterosexual marriage than in a gay marriage. There is however sanctity in the institution of marriage. So denying others the right to this sanctity is a sin or a moral crime in my opinion. Lastly, this shouldn’t even be an issue, this country has issues a 1000 times more important to deal with than gay marriage. Live and let live. Peace!

46. Shinoda77 on November 12, 2008 at 1:47 pm

Hey Mike it’s my birthday today (November 12th) ‘-‘ please celebrate my birthday xD it’s so nice to be here xD love you❤ :-*

47. pepper on November 12, 2008 at 1:35 pm

I’m changing this. I agree with the first post on here.
    It is not for me to decide who marrys who or whatever,
    as a disciple of Jesus Christ it is simply for me to love everyone.
    Despite orientation, race, color, sex, whatever!
    Just to love ’cause despite my crap he loves me.
    So Marriage isn’t the issue.
    How are we showing our love?
    That’s what I have to explore, I encourage you all to do the same.

Thanks Mike for the reminder to not just accept the popular opinion, but to open our minds, to think, and discover ourselves better.

48. n8ivegrl979 on November 12, 2008 at 1:10 pm

I believe in this message…TOTALLY!!!! As a native american, I understand the hurddles that gay people have 2 go through! I am 4 gay marriages….there is nothin wrong with 2 peeps of the same sex getting married. My best friend of 15 years has just come out and is in luv wit a another woman. I have NEVER s-n her so happy. It all cums down 2 the fact that every1 is still scared…some people think that there ways will rub off on them or they might get something from them….This is so NOT TRU!!!!!! We need 2 wise up out there. We all need 2 keep fighting 4 what we believe in…if not my people would still b living on reservation!!!!!!!!

49. shan1105 on November 12, 2008 at 1:04 pm

i agree with keith, why do you care to crush what someone else wants to acheive. Gay people being married has no harmful effects on anyone (except maybe family who cannot accept it and thats not anyones business anyway) People will not stop being gay because they can not get married, so really what do people gain from making this a law. every american should be given equal rights and couldn’t that be discrimination. If your religion is against then don’t do it but don’t just others on their choices. People are just people and everyone deserves happiness in their lives and this place would be boring if the same things made everyone happy.

50. PankakeMunky on November 12, 2008 at 12:56 pm

i was extremely in shock and surprised when i heard prop 8 passed. i honestly don’t know why people have to be against gay marriage. deep down, everyone is the same and we are just people. just because we have different eye colors, colored hair, or different background, doesn’t mean you should have your rights taken away like that. the first thought that came into mind was how the rights of african americans were taken away in the 1960’s and it’s like dejavu again with gay marriage. i agree with olbermann about how everyone who is against gays are just destroying love and destroying what is right in your heart. i honestly just wished people would just see people as people and that’s it.

51. Ash75 on November 12, 2008 at 12:54 pm

I think Olbermann is right. If two men are in love, why can’t they get married? If that would make them happy, I don’t see any difficulties.
    We are all the same, we’re all the humans.If the animals can live togehter, why can’t we do the same? I have two arms, two legs, a head and feelings… just like You. Where are the differences?

52. Daga280 on November 12, 2008 at 12:52 pm

homosexual marriage… its a taff topic to talk about… i dont have nothing against this ppl… wot is more i have a gay-friend i know i can rely on him all the time and he’s for me like brother.

i was very suprised that California has refused the right of marriage for homosexual couples i mean its a free world-every1 can do whatever they want- at least i thought that till now.. its stupid that ppl in love–> who REALLY R in love, have to go to another state to be married:/ this is not our freaky business ,and we should HELP them NOT disturb…

53. cuz on November 12, 2008 at 12:43 pm

There are always people who want to tell the others who they have to be or what to do. We had slavery, discrimination of all kind: religion, sex, race, many more. Why someone’s life has to be voted? Why just a life of a part of society? Why LGBT has to ask for a chance to marry? This is thier life. Where’s the justice? Maybe now we’ll do a voting if straights can marry? I’m straight and not gonna offend anyone, I just hate things like that. I hate injustice and treating others like they are worse. There are things we can’t choose and we can’t change sexual orientation. They didn’t do anything wrong so why to punish them? Prop 8 is definitely a bad idea. Take care Mikey🙂

54. Brittney on November 12, 2008 at 12:42 pm

I agree completely with Olbermann; if two men want to marry, they should be able to. All opinions aside, that’s just fairness, right? I’m a Christian, but I don’t blindly follow my religion; I also form my own opinion. If two men can’t be together, how is that “treating others as you want to be treated”? I know people at school who are homophobic, but they never seem to have a legitimate, logical reason as to why (at least in my opinion). My only guess is that they were taught to think a certain way, and become close-minded to anything against that. Problem is, if anyone brings the topic up at school, it becomes an instant fight for no reason, so I’m glad you made this post.

55. Zillazilla on November 12, 2008 at 12:26 pm

HOMOSEXUALS U kno what they are just like us!.they have everything like every1 does.they need everything like everybody needs.I just dont understand why some people couldnt stand gays and lesbians.they have feelings and they have right 2 love and get married!.it’s not their fault that they are homosexual.personally sometimes our society has a lot to do with their status. I think banning the gay marriage makes everything worse in my opinion. I heard that because they dont have any stable life or how our society treating them 1 homosexual person has 300-500 partners. That means more AIDS/HIV. if we treat them like human beings and give’em chance I dont think we’ll face all these things.

56. ArielCahen on November 12, 2008 at 12:19 pm

here’s my comment. did it on the thread because it’s way longer than 700 chars.
    congratulations for bringing this up, Mike. as I said in my comment, it’s important for the people to discuss relevant subjects, and you’re providing this opportunity.

57. DRO22 on November 12, 2008 at 12:05 pm

i personally have had first hand, and somewhat complicated issues with homosexuality. no, im not gay, and no one in my family is gay, but ever since at least 3rd or 4th grade i have been teased and harassed my entire life because people only assumed that i was homosexual. and again, i wasnt, but people continued to degrade me and put me down because i guess i had “homosexual stereotypical behavior.” my take on gay rights is that saying homosexual people cannot marry is the same exact thing as if a state were to ban straight couples from marrying. love is love, no matter who or what someone ends up feeling it for. and why waste time and go out of our way to ban legitamate love? -DRO22(LPU)

58. Mark86 on November 12, 2008 at 11:47 am

59. Hawaii_LP_fan on November 12, 2008 at 11:46 am

Each time I open my laptop & visit your blog (4 months now), you never cease to amaze me. :o) You challenge us to think outside the box & hand us the mic. I viewed the video, carefully read the truthful thoughts of each post here & am impressed. I respect the differing opinions shared here on this sensitive issue. These are my thoughts: Love shouldn’t be dictated, denied, or boxed in. Who am I to judge how 2 people of the same gender genuinely feel about love? Just because I don’t prefer the same gender makes it right to judge them? Definitely no! If they have undeniable chemistry & soul connection why shouldn’t they be together? Love shouldn’t have boundaries or restrictions! No to prop 8.

60. Jaclyn on November 12, 2008 at 11:44 am

When I was a child I didnt even suspect that homosexuality had something to do with love, it was an illness or prison sex, a sort of humiliation ( so i can easily understand homophobs and their fear). But in my humble opinion the gay people are not special, they don’t have blue blood, but they also must not feel shame for being gay, must not be afraid of being punished for their love. If they want to get married, let them. But again imho, marriage is not a question of love, it’s a matter of money, property and how to devide it at divorce,children, etc. And… maybe the state is against gay marriage coz there’ll be no children ergo no fresh meat for wars, no workers for plants….

61. Taniatny on November 12, 2008 at 11:39 am

I’m going to assume I’m older(37) than most of those who have shared their comments. My opinion on this topic is simple; one step forward(Presidential election), two steps back(Prop 8)…on the same night. It’s frustrating. That’s not what made me comment, though. I’ve read all the posted comments so far and most of what I’ve read has left me hopeful that as a global society we just might just get it right one day…then we’ll find something else to sabotage.🙂

62. rockermeg on November 12, 2008 at 10:55 am

Something will always be an issue
    I don’t know anybody who is gay but I’m only 13 so its hardly shocking. I know 1 person who is homophobic and he’s very smart and thoughtfull…(most of the time)
    Today I think the main homophobes are in the older generation because when they were being taught what was wrong & right; this was wrong. And a lot of Christians but I won’t get into that,,haha (Is Jewish)
    I think Keith Olbermann has it pretty sussed: Why does it concern you? They’re not harming you
    But you said you didn’t want us to argue so I’ll stop
    NEW BREAKING THE HABIT VIDEO IS AWESOME!!
    nyappy xxx

63. Lori on November 12, 2008 at 10:55 am

i think its bizarre in this day and age homosexuality can still be such a controversial topic, mainly because i was brought up to treat others as i expect to be treated regardless of sexual orientation/race/religion/etc.
    two of my best friends are gay – why shouldnt they have the same rights as me?
    in my opinion, people who are trully christian, or religious (such as pd2care), will not support the law, because isnt it part of christianity not to judge others??

64. petiterocker on November 12, 2008 at 10:42 am

I live in the Netherlands, a country that was one of the first to legalize same sex mariage. However, I am not proud to say that even gays here still get ganged up on. Most of my professors actually are gay and strangely enough, these usually are the most wonderfull people. Than there’s the HIV case, about more 10 gay people who’ve been to sex parties, got drugged with GHD and than got injected with HIV contaminated blood. The criminals only got 5 years. Even in a concidered free country as the Netherlands, gays are not safe. But what I do know, is that law, that allows same sex mariage, has made alot of people happy and here we would not change it for the world. Spread love, not hatred.

65. pd2care on November 12, 2008 at 10:40 am

As a Christian, I am one of the few of us who cannot, and did not, support this law. I find it incredibly offensive that “we” are forcing our religious views on people who are not of our religion. But, as soon as a non-Christian, or a non-Christian group, does the same thing, the gloves come off again, and there’s a huge fight. “You cannot force your religion on us. We’re Christians, and we do not believe that way, and will not bend to your leftist laws!” On the other hand, now, they’re doing the same thing they will not tolerate from the “others” on the planet. How hypocritical!
    see the rest of my post here: http://forums.linkinpark.com/showthread.php?p=464320#post464320

66. mshinoda on November 12, 2008 at 10:32 am

FROM MIKE: Reminder, if you’ve taken this conversation to a message board elsewhere, please put up a link to that thread in the comments here. The comments thus far have been very interesting. Feel free to contribute opposing opinions; if someone posts an opposing view, please keep a respectful tone in the discussion. Thanks…and I’m very impressed thus far.

67. Lvix on November 12, 2008 at 10:16 am

Mike, a few days ago I is saw Florida performing in a night club called ‘Versuz’
    The really strange thing what happend there was that another famous rapper ‘Kaye Styles’ But he is only famous in my country… Asked me if i had an interview with florida… (I am reporter) … actually he wanted to meet him.
    Well i hadn’t an interviewt but my question to you is: If you’re touring in europe, you met another artists who are only famous international?
    Wel probably yes but really like this.. that they are doing anything to met you.. because this guy kaye styles wo made so much good songs and did a song for prison break just couldn’t stop asking me..

68. sasummsumm on November 12, 2008 at 10:02 am

this guy in the vid is right.there is no real cause of gays not to get married.i know 2 couples and it is something that i don’t look at as unnatural or bad.they aren’t aliens.i can talk to them laugh with them or hug them.i just see 2 loving people and maybe friends of mine and that’s all. and yes.nobody should dictate some other ones life. why should i care if they get married? it’s not something that hurts me or whatever.im atheist.why shouldn’t i get married with a crist or else if we wanted to? nowadays marriage is something with rights too.like how much money does the one get if the other dies or whatever.why shouldn’t gay ppl have the same rights ? there is no cause!

69. outlawserenade on November 12, 2008 at 9:17 am

I reckon nick got his hands full at lpmb without me joining in..

I am a religious person. I know my beliefs and have quite a strong faith in it. But I don’t believe in using faith and religion as an excuse of bigotry. Once you run to religion, you’re lost and you know it.

edit: for LPUers, the SDF is your place to discuss this. Thank you.

70. rubyred82 on November 12, 2008 at 8:51 am

I simply can’t understand why certain people feel the need to be the dictator of others’ lives. Religion, morals, personal opinions aside, barring abuse, it is not anyone’s business but those who are involved in the relationship, gay or straight, what they do. Imagine gay people protesting straight people being married, how preposterous does that sound now? Where’s the difference? Two people, wanting companionship and love for the rest of their lives together. Isn’t that the “ultimate” goal? Why do people give a shit which gender the two people happen to be? I understand why you don’t want to post your opinion Mike, being a neutral party to your fans. We do like hearing your thoughts though.

71. Annie on November 12, 2008 at 8:47 am

In Czech Republic gays and lesbians can’t get marriage, they can only be registered partners. For many people it’s still a problem. When they see two women or two men just holding their hands, they almost allways stare at them. They talk about them – how bad and unnatural it is. For me there is no difference between love of two men, women or man and woman. If they love each other, why should I be angry? It’s their choice and I have no right to ban their love. They just want to live their lives. I think, that find someone, who you deeply love is the greatest thing in the world and noone should say that you can’t enjoy this feeling, because he doesn’t permit it

72. murry on November 12, 2008 at 8:46 am

First of all, let me say that I don’t know if you put this up and then took it down yesterday, or if that was a website glitch, but I appreciate it being here in the first place. I’m interested to know what you think on the matter.

That said, I think KO put it best. He made every argument I would make. But then, I’m a Secular Humanist. I don’t get religion. But to those, at least of the Christian and Jewish religion, who believe that homosexuality is an abomination, again I need to defer to a wiser man than I to most effectively make my argument: Dr. Josiah Bartlet. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eD52OlkKfNs

73. SimplyMode on November 12, 2008 at 8:38 am

Coincidence? Maybe, one of my very best friends told me he was gay today on the day that you post this. I go to a school where such things aren’t accepted (fucking england, ) and he was really nervous he almost started crying. Anyway moving on he told me about this guy he’s been going out with and the look on is face was just priceless. I know i sound all dramatic or whatever but he just looked so happy actually talking about and all i’m saying is if he’s in love and he married his boyfriend how is that going to affect the world or whatever.I think it’s stupid how this is even an issue in today’s society. People just need to accept that everyone’s different and you are who you are!!!

74. Angelic01 on November 12, 2008 at 8:36 am

WOW! this speech was spoken directly from my heart! Gay people are as human as everybody else thus they should have the same rights. Mr. Olbermann is right: this isn’t about gay or straight, religion or not. It’s about love! I believe in god myself and I’m sure that he doesn’t love one of his childs just because he/she is “different”. In addition I have to say that I’m bisexual and my friends didn’t have a problem with it when I came out. I wish all people were like them and would just accept it and not make a big deal out of it. Because it isn’t!! It doesn’t matter WHO you love, it matters HOW you love! I hope that some day every one will understand this…

75. LPAngel on November 12, 2008 at 7:16 am

Sincerely i think that gays have the right to be married, they are human, they have the same rights that we, straight, have. A sexual orientation can´t be choose, they don´t say, i wanna be gay. There are people who think a scandal a marriage between 2 people of different races, i think that nowadays it´s normal, no matter the race, what matters is what they feel for each other. we are in this century and it´s sad that there´s still preconceit about this issue. and you Mike, what do you think?

76. drpd1 on November 12, 2008 at 7:01 am

i don’t see the relationship between religion and being gay or not…. you are who you are…… i don’t think we should focus our strength on mindless bigotry and blame religion in the process. if you are unable to accept homosexuality and gay marriages then that is your opinion which you would want to be respected. so why voice hate and hateful words on others’ opinions which is not harming anybody anyways. i live in india where gay marriages are illegal. but that doesn’t stop people from being gay. it just leads to a number of tragedies.

77. MusicalMorphine on November 12, 2008 at 6:43 am

Since I never post on lp.com anymore I’ll just write it here.
    I believe that homosexuals should have the same rights as hetrosexuals. Pretty simple. If it’s against your religion fine, but don’t let that get in the way of other people’s happiness.

78. skindesbous on November 12, 2008 at 6:25 am

This is a hurtful issue for me.I’ve always tried to make people understand love is more than religion or politic,it’s a personal choice.I don’t have to be the one to decide who can be married or who not.I should be the one to decide who I want to love,and I decide to love people,not men or women.I can’t understand why people say:I’m homophobic ’cause Pope says that’s what i have to be.Pope should remember more often that religion is about love,not about straight families.Some people say this is not natural to argue their thoughts,when did you see a deer writting a love card to have sex with another deer?I’m glad that in Spain is legal to get married for being a person,not man or woman.

79. zimminator on November 12, 2008 at 6:24 am

wow. i couldnt have said it better! im not gay or anything, but i have many friends that are gay. i feel bad for them, because here in the midwest many people dont see the happiness they are taking away from them, i know alotofpeoplehere have to hide it. its horrible. other people just shouldnt care. its not affecting their lives, so dont affect theirs. how horrible is it to have to keep this secret from your parents,and you knew that if you told them you would be kicked out of the house? thats what one of my best friends is going through. why dont people just keave them alone, and look at serious things, like drug issues?

80. Shinodabestfriend on November 12, 2008 at 6:18 am

I think that the beginning of this video and what’s there written is totally right… because marriage is based on love. and if you really love a person, male or not (if you’re a man too) or not, you like to stay with that person, to talk with him, to love him and give him all you wanna give him because of your love for that person… so… if anybody has problems about this, i think they don’t understand A FUCK of love. a man is free to fall in love with who the fuck he wants.. so.. the true love is blind.. who’s contrary about it, has no idea of what love really is. that’s what I think. respect for the couples.

81. samira on November 12, 2008 at 5:43 am

MONSIEUR SHINODA pour qui vous prenez vous ?
    You want just nice people who have the same opinions that you!
    Me and my friends are homophobic where is the problem?
    We are Jewish and Moslem our religion prohibits to us to defend the cause of the lesbians and the gays.
    We are not bad people and without scruple.
    We let to you discuss with nice people as you (my buttocks and those of my friends) I hope you like buttocks Arabs and jewfishes men!
    Do you think that people homophobic can buy your CD?
    Ps/We are completely agreed with the Pope. It’s not wonderful about this subject “Jewish, Christian and Moslem are agree
    Bye MONSIEUR NICE Shinoda

82. Aqua101 on November 12, 2008 at 5:31 am

Don’t get me wrong. I am a straight person, but I am a person who believe in “Freedom” 100%. I think this should be given to all human beings on earth equally especially when it comes to emotion of human’s heart. It is not about religion or politic. All religions have its own belief on what marriage is all about. Christian may say its against God, Hindu may say its ok, Buddha may say its not prohibited, Muslim may say its fine so long agreed by both party & so on.Why it always has to be based on religion alone?? Nothing morally wrong on this issue. Its mutually natural. Its simply about what you feel is right for yr life & yrself. I support gay marraige, NoOnProp8. PEACE…:)

83. lp_luva on November 12, 2008 at 5:28 am

well, i can’t watch the video as i am on my mom’s computer at school (my mom is a teacher) but i would just like to say that this whole topic drives me crazy!!! there is nothing wrong with being gay, or bi, or anything else. some of my best friends are gay. one is a nurse, the best nurse i know. she is the only one i would like to get a shot from, and it kills me to think that if she found “the one” it’ll never be fair for her. it also makes me frustrated that so many ppl in california got married when it was legal, including Ellen DeGeneres and the Asian guy from star trek (sorry, i dont have time to look up names). but there u go, please make gay marriage and rights legal some day!!!

84. zahra on November 12, 2008 at 5:17 am

OMG i soo totally believe that ever one has the right to be WHO THEY ARE!!!! i’m not gay!!!but i believe that you can be what ever u want to be…and i do not say NO to some one that is just trying to be who they are!!! i think its disgusting and its not in nature to be in love with the same sex but i know that it does happen for some ppl !! but whats it to me if ur gay ??!!!!i dont care! its something personal !! EVERY ONE DESERVES RESPECT!!!! and so on behalf of thows who are gay “do what u want , because u only live once ,so try not to regret it”…..what do u think about all this mike????!!!!

85. sterilepoon on November 12, 2008 at 4:37 am

No one should have the right to tell someone who they can and can not marry. There was an article recently on CNN.com that I thought was truly heinous, where someone within the Catholic church was arguing that their approval of prop 8 wasn’t a judgment on homosexuals, but merely a protection of God’s will. I think it’s about time “church” and “state” really became separate. Not everyone allows their life to be governed by the same religion, or any religion at all, and it saddens me that if one day I fell in love with someone of my same gender, regardless of which gender I personally identity with, I would not be able to marry them. Thanks, Mike, for putting this back up. It’s appreciated.

86. ffmuteki9 on November 12, 2008 at 4:22 am

Though I am Taiwanese, I am not able to support the vote for gays’ rights. But all I want to say is ridiculous. cause lots of voters are NOT GAY, that’s not a problem at all. The most important problem is that almost all the opponents are NOT GAY. what the hell right do they have to deny LGBT rights, even deny their value of living in the world? They almost believe homosexuals should not be in the world. They are not God, they are just common humans, how come they could say that, decide that as a God, as they created this world? some are even more ignorant believing homosex is a kind of disease. I sincerely hope those who believe so can invent a medicine to “cure” homosexuasl.

87. Kalini on November 12, 2008 at 4:13 am

I’d like to make a proper contribution to the topic, but this issue has a lot of pros and cons, which I coudn’t note in a short comment. Think carefully before you vote! Krassie K.

88. Chemist999 on November 12, 2008 at 3:10 am

This really left me speechless for a few minutes. The vigour he puts into his comment, it’s just remarkable. I think the key to solution for those who oppose is to realize their love is no different, it’s pure emotion, and the most sacred one, because it differentiates us from the rest of the nature. If they’d just look at the person they love most dearly, and want to make him/her happy, and ask themself if they’re ready to deny certain people the very thing they enjoy every day, just because their preferences are different, what would be their answer? This is just wrong, we pride ourselves in being advanced, though we’re still not able to cope with our very nature. And yes, it’s natural.

89. AnkeNL on November 12, 2008 at 3:05 am

I am proud of the Netherlands when I hear this. He is totaly wright. It’s about 2 people that are in love. That they are from the same sex dousn’t need to matter. I had a quistion from a american ones she asked how a stand against gay people. I just ansered: He is just like me and you. Nothing makes him different. So yes I’m proud at the Netherlands that they can marrie here. Greetings From Anke

90. keineAhnung on November 12, 2008 at 2:42 am

well, I don’t see why so many people are against gay marriage! or why it should be so wrong if they marry…they were discussing it in my country too and what was kinda funny was that some said: okay let’s give them some rights (‘normal’ couples have too) but DON’T call it marriage…can’t remember what they wanted to call it instead, but I think it’s ridiculous…if they want to give them the same rights, why not call it marriage then!?!?

91. ThunderStrike on November 12, 2008 at 1:53 am

I can give you a piece of info that’s a hell of a lot worse and revolting than Prop 8 – In India, homosexuality is a crime which is punishable by a life sentence and/or heavy fines. Countless lesbians have committed suicide when forced into heterosexual marriage, and many men can’t avail any treatment for HIV/AIDS cause that’ll mean confessing an “illegal” act.
    @LIOPE Whoever said gay marriage is wrong? There are many single parents too, is that wrong? You just need to tell your kids that you’re different from everyone else, and that there’s nothing wrong with it. If people insist on remaining ignorant and not supporting human rights, we’ll be worse off than we are now.

92. liope on November 12, 2008 at 1:44 am

it’s so annoying when people “play” with the meaning of the words!! so here is the etymology of the word marrige: comes from the verd gameo[γαμέω](=i take a woman,i get married), gamos[γάμος]: legal couplement of a man and a woman. This guy speaks about love but he says nothing about ethics!!! i make a question to all those how support gay marrige..how i will explain to my chidren that this wrong?

it’s not about racism it’s about sence!!!

93. fichan_cruel on November 12, 2008 at 1:31 am

hey,,im a new..
    i think is up to the person itself..if he/she love their couple,,they have to do it,,i live in a country where gay/bisex couple cant get married,,its really rare to see them like.walking together in street,,holding hands etc..
    it againts our religious belief,,but its all up to them,,they choose the way they live..
    so mike,,how’s ur opinion??

94. Xenith on November 12, 2008 at 1:20 am

Unfortunately I can not listen to the above video as I am in work so I will keep it brief.

I’m a female Bisexual. Although I have dated many women growing up I am now happily settled down with a fantastic man called Alistair. Since I have been with Al I have had no feelings for any other man or woman. But back on topic… I do support the right for a gay couple to get married but only for financial stability. As a Christian I do not support Gay marriages in Churches as it is against our religious belief. I don’t think it should be banned but I do think certain restraints should remain.

95. NoFace on November 12, 2008 at 1:13 am

I’m glad you bring this post back, people were asking where this went. Voiced my opinion in the thread that Ana created (second post). Thank you for bringing this up. I would love to hear your opinion, but if you have reasons to keep them for yourselves, please do. One thing I have to tell you: at this moment, I’m really proud to be your fan. Thank you and your family for your contribution to noonprop8. Much respect! goes waves Proud Noda Fan flag
    Oh, and you guys fixed the characters counter! So many good things in one day.

96. Mickey on November 12, 2008 at 12:54 am

I couldn’t have said it better myself. I think it’s outrageous that it’s illegal again. I’m happy to live in a country where gay couples can get married (Denmark), because I really don’t see why they shouldn’t have the same rights as everyone else. Okay, so our law isn’t perfect, either, because they can’t get married in our churches, but I guess it’s better than nothing, right? I mean, it’s still legal and if you want romance…well, then only your imagination is the limit. Invite the mayor to your wedding on the Fiji Islands or something, man.
    I’m gonna sound like a bad 1960’s leftover, but: more power to them, man.

97. Gabry94LinkinParkfan23 on November 12, 2008 at 12:46 am

uhm well.., idk really wat u think about it xD i just know we’re all free to do wat we want, if u like a girl, damn let me love her, nah?? oh guys, i think that if u dont think like me, its kk dont kill me ^___^ btw u Mike, wat u do think about it?? byeeee x Gabry

98. tacos_on_tuesday on November 12, 2008 at 12:45 am

Yes on 8 say they want to protect marriage but there are 100’s of things that destroy marriages everyday. They look to define marriage as a man & a woman but should look to define it as a union of deep love, respect, commitment-above anything else. Those oppose to gay marriages are only preventing homosexuals from the same sense of entitlement of being married as a heterosexual. Denying marriage won’t make gays go away or make people less gay. Those looking to shield kids from the diversity of the people in the world should really look & see if they are doing their kids more harm than good. It’s not just about having tolerance. A person should never take another’s rights away Support No on 8

99. ritzifying on November 11, 2008 at 8:08 pm

It’ll be interesting to see if you voice your opinion on this. It seems like it would be hard for a person to stay out of a conversation they started. I re-read the comments you made in the thread you started about the presidential election. You said, “…and don’t talk to me, talk to one another.” Why is that so important to you? Do you just want to find out others opinions? Don’t you want to voice your own? I guess we will find out one way or the other if you post within the coming days. : )

(we actually have another conversation going on as to why you would or why you would not want to voice your opinion. http://forums.linkinpark.com/showthread.php?t=9489&page=104)

100. Diana_LP_adicted on November 11, 2008 at 1:40 pm

i think that no one have the right to judge gay people…. sometimes people can be cruel, and make bad judgement’s about people with a different sexual orientation. everyone have the right to love and be loved and gay couple’s can’t be excluded!
    if straight couples can get marry why didn’t gay couple’s?? i’m not totally against it but.. if homosexual or an lesbian couple decides to have a child…. whow would be the life of that child? i’m absollutly sure that their parents would love her and give her a good life… but this child would have a painfull life caused by the cruel and racist comments of the society.

SORRY FOR MY BAD ENGLISH ^^

101. lp_fm_fan on November 11, 2008 at 1:29 pm

done, Mike.

here we go, the thread

all comments…well in-depth comments go there.

102. Raspberry on November 11, 2008 at 1:26 pm

As i heard the speech it made me think of all the bad things going on in the world and how crappy the human race had become. Being in England i had no clue how things were concerning marriage that wasn’t the ‘norm’ as our laws have been passed to recognise gay couples in the sanctity of marriage. What i will say is this … you can’t help who you fall in love with albeit same sex, different colour or an inanimate object ( i’ve seen the stories of women marrying rocks and trees, lol ) Live and let live, who knows? it may spread to the world leaders😉