Using Advertising to Break Your Band

November 28, 2008

I just posted here:

regarding this:

Taking my own experiences with my band out of the equation, let me just address this as a fan. There have been artists who use their music as a means to another end for a long time🙂 From 80’s glam rock stars who used their band as a way to get chicks and live the “rock star life,” to today’s rapper with a yacht-load of endorsements, there is always an “artist” who is eager to sell their art to get what they really want. On the other hand, there are those who are only concerned with the artistic process and don’t sell it out for anything. The music career is the goal, and the journey is the destination.

Most artists sit somewhere in between.

In general, the way an artist rides the line between best-seller and credibility depends upon their cultural understanding of what’s appropriate. They’re informed by the music outlets they hear locally and online, the music cultures they choose to be a part of, and what their social/cultural group’s feeling about “selling out” is. It goes without saying that if you live in Hong Kong (where super-pop music rules the charts) and your favorite artists are Black Eyed Peas and 50 Cent, your idea of “sell out” is going to be drastically different than someone who lives in Los Angeles and listens to Pearl Jam or Minor Threat.

My concern is in the motivation. In addition to the difficult business of “getting noticed” by the fans, some musicians have extra pressure to pay the bills. The music industry is locking new artists into oppressive 360-deal enslavement, and trying to gradually hack away at the rights they initially promised their older acts, in order to protect their bottom line. And as long as the bands allow the labels to take their rights, the artists will have more pressure to look for money elsewhere.

Although I agree with a good deal of what Klein says in this piece, it is immediately evident that there is no one set of rules that works for everybody…but there are guidelines to help you set up your set of rules, such as:

• If you license your music, do it with partners who get you, treat you fairly, and whose product is consistent with your message.

• Do your homework, and know what your rights are worth, so when you trade them for something, you know you’re getting a fair deal.

• Put your brand identity, your credibility, first.

I’ll leave you with a thought from Klein’s interview:

“One of the advertising creatives that I spoke to talked about doing away with the middlemen of record labels, that ultimately music could be released straight through advertisers. And I just thought, “God, that’s so curious that he would see that as doing away with the middleman when it’s clearly replacing the middleman.” And I can’t say for sure whether advertising executives are worse than record executives, but I don’t think they’re better. So, yeah, I think there is a gap here. And what the Internet offers is some possibility of — if not completely removing a middleman — creating a more transparent middleman and one that doesn’t take away so much of the money.”

1. FCastro on November 30, 2008 at 8:26 pm

hey Mike, could you give some advice for who’s starting and don’t know how to across this obstacle?
    I think you can help who’s starting, once you’re experient in that area

2. akitagirl on November 30, 2008 at 8:04 pm

Mike – Where do you think LP would be today if you were starting out now? Do you guys think you would be signing with a label, using the net etc… I think this can be a really confusing time for new artist starting out and think you have helped shed a lot of clarity on peoples choices and the reality of signing with a label.

3. KATHYxx on November 30, 2008 at 6:47 pm

It’s sad how the artists have to cater to fans’ expectations of selling out when most fans don’t even know what those words mean. I see so many people blast perfectly good artists for just letting somebody use their song in a movie or commercial, or just plain ol making enough money to live in something other than a cardboard box. Or hear of the artist making any money at all. People have forgotten what a sell out is and why it’s bad.
    A Sell Out is someone who has tossed out their artistic goals because they know they can make money anyway. It’s bad because they don’t put ANY effort into it. Making money is not a problem. You can have a zillion dollars and still stand on the leading edge

4. Madlen on November 30, 2008 at 1:35 pm

The saddest thing is that most of the bands and singers who break through change completely under the label “famous”.I’m gonna give an example here-lets say Avril Lavigne.When she was coming out she did have a lot of fans and she had her own style whether it was silly at a time or not.But when she saw the change in music industry,when she realized that if she keeps her old style she’s gonna earn less and she’s gonna be less popular she did the change.And that is why most of her old fans don’t really appreciate her now.It’s one thing to change because you wanna do something different…but to change just to have more record sales is just stupid.

5. tpbarbosa on November 30, 2008 at 1:18 pm

Daily is been thrown upon us the life style of the famous artists, and how easy it is to become one.I think that in the beginning,it must be really hard to anyone,and to many bands to just give up or assign wrong contracts with labels which will “Kill their dreams”,by changing the original contract and putting more pressure on them.Music is much more than a way to get rich or famous, but like you’ve said, many artists just define themselves according to their culture, so if pop sells more than rock in Hong Kong, than why’d I be a part of a rock band? If my goal is just the money?
    Music industry,nowadays is totally focused on money and they’re forgetting that music is the feeling’s language

6. skindesbous on November 30, 2008 at 11:36 am

Wish everyone in the music industry thought like you:/

7. Lynnie on November 30, 2008 at 10:33 am

I’ll be honest – I didn’t quite ‘get’ it all. I’m tired due to stress of uni assignments, so forgive me if my comment seems wrong/out of place.

The culture defines the threshold. The fans and the artists, together, declare their opinion about when the line is crossed. I agree with that bit.

I’m personally not a believer in ‘selling out’ – as long what the artist(s) is doing is lucrative, credible and honest, what does is matter HOW they did it?

We are all just doing what we have to do to get by – whether you’re an artist trying a new business venture/avenue, or a general Joe Public trying to make ends meet.

But that’s just my view, and as I say – I could be missing the mark!

8. MS_Ineedyou on November 29, 2008 at 7:25 pm

Hey Mike . I don’t know if you can answer this, but, please try😦 I have really been trying to get noticed . I have a good singing voice .(so i’m told -.-‘) So i joined my school chorus . I did a solo and got the highest rank you can get. The worst is 5 and the best is 1 . I got a one . And BELIEVE ME that judge was an ASSHOLE -.-‘ So do you know how we could possibly get noticed ? Because i would really like to :l

—Brooke .

9. D3lta on November 29, 2008 at 7:08 pm

As an artist working on releasing my first record, literally out of my own pocket, I’ve found that a little help from manufacturers goes a long way. When a company extends me the use of their products, and in a lot of ways is better than financial support because it allows me to make my record more efficiently and cheaply. Where as financial help can allow people to put their money in other places, like cars and homes they may not otherwise be able to maintain. But in a time where I feel artists make more money than EVER do they simply endorse products for the money or is it also more exposure to the audience using that product? Thanks Mike for your candidness on the music biz, great tool

10. NoMoreSorrowGirl on November 29, 2008 at 2:49 pm

Yeah!your right!Amen for that Mike!Is that what you think before you produce MTM together with Mr. Rubin!?before you produce those albums do you expect that this album will be sold out immediately so that those cash you spent from your pocket will be ten times more back to you rather than being an artist!?in that the case, its better to be a producer rather than to be an artist itself…coz as you said some musicians have extra pressure to pay the bills…be a record producer…Take care:))

EDIT: boingboing is an interesting site…its funny that you really introduce yourself their…everyone knows you that you play in a band called LINKIN PARK:))peace:)

11. ShadowerLiltani on November 29, 2008 at 11:30 am

I’m not a musician, but as a mutual artist I think this 360 deal is disrespectful to both art and to commercial musicians who are doing business. Artists don’t get rewards for their hard work, and anyone trying to use music for business won’t make much money either. (Jay Z is lucky he did all of this before 360). I think I now know why you guys are trying to get your next album out as soon as possible.

12. Mikeshi_Linkfort on November 29, 2008 at 10:20 am

Greetings Mike! I Wish to tell words of pair about compact disc LPU8…. The Good disk… And it is insignificant, that it is not pleasant to what it to quantity of people. YOU have decided to make a disk cheerful, and we shall be, has an entertainment together with you, and those who does not understand, that it allows silent =) I Am sorry for bad English =)

13. Shinoda77 on November 29, 2008 at 7:17 am

Mike!!! I looooooove LPU 8!!! HaHaha Gosh I love the cd cover and the songs! OMG xD xD You made my hole life xD

14. ThaPark on November 29, 2008 at 6:42 am

heey mike, how are you doing? well, i won’t coment about this post… i will coment about the songs in LPU 8.0… i read your post in lpu’s forum. well, i just LOVE IT! when i listen to ‘bublles’ i can’t stop laughing. haha ‘i wish my name was bublles’… hahaaa, perfect! i love the idea of the cd, that funny things and stuff. it’s a different thing you know… and finally i have to buy it!😀
    and i aways thought that LP have a great sence of mood!😀
    congratulations guys, now… my days will be more fun with this songs!😀
    (sorry for my bad english mike.. i’m from brazil.. i’m learning it yet)
    ” buuuublleeees, bublleeeeeeeeeeeees..’ haha

15. Gabry94LinkinParkfan23 on November 29, 2008 at 5:36 am

LOL xD ty Mike.. “do your homework” mhm.. maybe ill do it.. yes, a day xD great post🙂 i wanna buy the LPU8 cd but im no american😦 btw.. have a nice day.. ^^ byeee Gabry x

16. TYshangshan on November 29, 2008 at 5:31 am

i LOVE the LPU8 cd, fucking LOVE!!
    I’ve never fucking loved you so much as now. yeah, Seriously.

17. Kalini on November 29, 2008 at 5:25 am

I came back today to Mike’s Blog hoping that the baby drama’s over and saw that we have a new drama, which has completely destroyed the Blog. People, how could you be so blocked-minded, have you read Mike’s Post at all? Mike’s Blog is not the right place to discuss LP’s personal life, which albums you like or don’t like. You’ve your LPU, LPN Forums for that. Regarding the motivation of today’s rappers, we see what lifestyle TI’s selling in his “Whatever you like”. Klein’s interview is great. “Music is part of our souls and incredibly important part of our social lives”. Glad to hear they’re thinking of improving the channels through which music can be heard. Krassie

18. Cleeve on November 29, 2008 at 4:24 am

couldnt agree more with Harakiri!
    At the end of the day they have tried to do something fun and different afer the responce from lpu v7
    and you either like it or not lol, i personally needed a laugh and thats what i got!
    but geez was that huge rant really necessary? afterall its just a little bonus, the band dont have to give you anything extra at the end of the day, like alot of other bands i listen to dont give extra music to members of there fanclubs so just let it pass lol

19. harakiri on November 29, 2008 at 2:44 am

jelly, jelly, jellyfish… hilarious. love it. you can clearly hear you guys had fun recorfing the tracks.😄 and i love listening to it, i really dunno why people bitch about it… they wanted something different – they got something different. sheez, some people are never satisfied.

20. ms_shock on November 29, 2008 at 2:35 am

OH MY GOD!!!!! MIKE!!! Are you kidding???? LPU songs…… HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAAAAA You made my day!!!! YOU made My week!!!!!!! LMFAO!! I love your humour!!! 26 Lettaz In Da Alphabet killed me… x_x
    Thank you for this stuff!!!!!!!!!! LOOOOOOOOOOOL!!!!

21. Monciukaz on November 29, 2008 at 2:25 am

I think that all LPU cd’s was great!!! And I think that LPU next cd will be great too… =))

22. Aqua101 on November 29, 2008 at 2:20 am

No idea on LPU8. But I think being an LPU mbr, u shld appreciate enough what LP has done. U got many priviledges compared to ordinary customers. And Mike, remember: responses from “Worldwide” fans give important info for a band/artist to be fully recognized & be known internationally (not just locally). I think record company need only focusing on famous artists who are more certain to sell a bunch of CDs than crappy indie bands that nobody understands. Good mkrtg rule 4P’s as Product (yr CD), Price (affordable), Place (how to distribute) & Promotion (local/Intl) give good result. But it is always related to the song itself (unique beat/rhythm), voice of singer, lyric & artist image😉

23. keineAhnung on November 29, 2008 at 2:09 am

it’s really sad to see how many people start to be insulting “just” because of a cd…if you don’t like it – okay, it’s your opinion, but say it in another way, there is no need for “fuck you”s…personally, I was shocked at first when I heard the songs because I didn’t expect anything like that…of course it would have been nice to have some demos or b-sides but I’m fine with these songs too…they are so damn funny!!! esp. 26 lettaz! getting on the floor with ernie and bert? LMAO ‘tries to imagine that’…how did you come up with these lyrics? did chester watch too much tv with his kids?😉 you’re right, the cd is hilarious and I can’t wait to get it (btw: definitely better than lpu7!!!)

24. LP_Fan on November 29, 2008 at 2:05 am

lol, I realy don’t know what the problem of all these people is, I think this LPU CD is the funniest thing ever ^^
    And 26 Lettaz In Da Alphabet realy rocks😛
    I love it becaus it was totaly unexpected🙂

25. Mark86 on November 29, 2008 at 1:37 am

I enjoy this CD. There is no need to remember that all this noise doesn’t represent necessarily the majority of the fans’s thought.

26. izzo on November 29, 2008 at 12:53 am

i’m not an LPU member, but i probably will join this year. I’m sad that mike feels the need to apologise for the cd – everyone kept saying they wanted more frat party/lptv funny stuff, and that is what the LPU8 cd is….but now people are mad that this is what they have done.

27. LPmAgaS on November 29, 2008 at 12:14 am

Well I havent’ gotten the LPU8 CD yet but , I think that it would be great! And I believe this because I believe in LP.I know some LP fans who they don’t like MTM.I don’t care what other people say about MTM and LPU8 , because MTM is great and LPU8 is great!Don’t listen the “fans” that don’t like MTM , because a true fan supports his favorite artist whatever happens!And they aren’t true fans , they just call themselves “fans”.So think positive and don’t let these “fans” criticise your job and laughing at something that you have worked so hard!You should keep up the good work , because out there , there a lot of true fans that respect your job.
    Take care and good luck!
    (Sorry for mistakes)

28. neil_mccooeye on November 28, 2008 at 9:04 pm

Mike, I hope you end up reading this.
    Don’t apologize for the LPU 8 CD. It’s hilarious and we love it. It just seems that over the past day we’ve seen who the real fans are. People calling themselves fans are swearing at you and making comments like “MTM was shit” all because they’re a little offput by the CD. I’d like to make it abundantly clear – these are not the majority of your fanbase. Being a true fan means respecting the work, dedication, and performer and supporting them with their endeavors. I really hope you don’t take these people too seriously when it comes to the destructive criticism because I’d hate to see them ruin the creative process for the rest of us.

All the best.

29. soyuneik on November 28, 2008 at 8:30 pm

My motivation is carrying at least 6-8 individuals along with everything else. They’re saying, “Let’s just put it out and say “fuck it”. I’m the only one saying “No, this has to be done right”. I’m also the only one doing homework and for the most part I’ve been sharing my notes. But I’m having a hard time deciding if I want to continue playing this role. With it comes the responsibility of dealing all business aspects as well as their personal omens. All I see is me ending up being Ms. Public Relations. Ugh, and now that I’m thinking about it, maybe this is what I need to shape the business monger within. I hope I’m on the right path. Thanks!

30. Elliot_aka_MC_Eli on November 28, 2008 at 6:35 pm

Speaking of all this band stuff….. can you make it possible so i can send you some of my demos? i’m only 16 and i want expert an opinion to improve my music, and to improve myself as a musician… so someday i can be touring with you on projekt revolution! If you can please reply in someway, thank you so much! note Just so you know what age group could possibly listen to you, I started listening to you in like the 5th grade. In The End was so amazing. I would also fantasize(like a normal child…i hope .>) about like being in like a movie or getting shot, and i would always be playing In The End as like the theme i guess… idk why i put that, but you guys keep on rockin’!

31. qwertz on November 28, 2008 at 5:55 pm

the LPU8 could be used in the light of the topic as in a part of the tours+T-shirts array of products which give the musician(s) another source of profit. i could ask you how much money of touring/T-shirts/fan-extras goes to the musician and how much to the company and whether stuff like LOATR+CSI falls in the ‘commercial’ category to you, but since you adressed this as a fan… no questions there. i’m kinda split on this one: don’t like the labels and what they’re pushing, nor the clutter and chaos on the net, nor the idea of labelling a group of styles. notLPUer. ‘LP=sell-out’–> xD, it’s been around since MTM. sell-out is about being $_$, not a lousy joke-maker HOWTOMULTIPOST?shameITis…

32. Metal_Value on November 28, 2008 at 5:43 pm

I’ve only heard one of the songs from this LPU 8 CD so far and that’s Bubbles and in all honesty not trying to be dis-respectful to LP or anything I love ’em but, any shmug could pull that off it’s not from what I can tell even mixed correctly. Now you can spin this any way you like, anyone can, but it doesn’t change the fact that sure it’s “different”, but when fans are blatantly asking for, remixes, demos and stuff like that, I think it’s pretty off to confirm it will be different, and thus lead the fans thinking it’ll be something awesome, then releasing this. The fans responded to LPU 7 and asked for more of the old. Didn’t get it.. It’s a shame Mike’s post has turned into a flame war.

33. cynthia on November 28, 2008 at 5:33 pm

off topic from your post, i apologize. just want to say the lpu8 cd looks hilarious (and the few tracks that leaked are too) and i’m sorry that other fans take every move of the band so seriously and expect b-sides and other rarities from a simple fan club cd. i thought we have to come to realize you guys hardly release those sorts of tracks and those kind of expectations are a tad unrealistic.

anyway, your blogs have made me interested in all this music industry info. i will definitely be picking up those few books you recommended a while ago and will read them over my christmas break.. then i will feel more informed to actually comment on your posts relating to this stuff!

34. murphyLP on November 28, 2008 at 5:27 pm

I made a post…but i´ve regret of what i´ve said before
    But i don´t know how to say it!!!
    I saw your post on the LPUMB and i know that you would never make this as a slap in our face!! But i need to say that i didn´t like it!!!
    We lp fans miss some new songs… we know that u don´t have any obligation to make new songs on every LPU cd.
    But we kept years and years waiting for a new cd (we just have 3).
    That´s why sometimes we get a little angry… Because we love the band and we want to hear more things from all of you guys!!! Will be another solo from brad? another instrumental from joe? will MIKE sing a whole song? that´s the feeling we want and missed in this LPU
    : /

35. RandomX on November 28, 2008 at 5:16 pm

hey Mike,

listen I know your a busy guy and all but i have some lyrics and here they are;

Bail out, bail out Automakers too what about me and you? Corporations fail and the governments there to bail out bail out Automakers too when we fail they take it all away and promise us jail Bail out Bail out Automakers too guess the government paid for by Corporations and doesn’t represent me and you.

I know it’s short but you can add more to it if you would like and do what you would like to it please contact me in some way if you can i dont care if it’s a post on your site or anything like that,

Thank you for reading this and thank you for your time

36. numbrocker02 on November 28, 2008 at 5:10 pm

Really thinking about this (lpu8) I think we’re probably overracting. My first post was bad, and I was more shocked than anything. The songs are very funny. I think we were just blindsided by this. I think this will be like MTM. Some fans were put off by change, and now those same fans love MTM. Just give us some time to think about it Mike. We love you, don’t forget that. Even the flamers do. They’re just trying to wrap there head around this. We know you meant this to be fun.

37. omarzk1 on November 28, 2008 at 5:08 pm

WOW,Im really upset/disappointed in the band for what you gave us this year. Check out websites like lplive.net ( 250 posts onLPU8 who ALL thought it was awful/ feel cheated). The comments i’m reading HERE are so BS and posted by groupies and a$$ kissers. Back to LPU 08, i’m really disappointed in your guys work ethic and how you treat your fans. In 9 years u’ve only put out only 33-35 original songs. Patience has seriously been tested. U gave us a promise that this year’s LPU would be different, sure it WAS but we still hoped our fav band would take the time out & not disrespect their fans wishes & hard earned money on putting together songs that were half-a$$ed/ lame. I miss the old LP

38. ixabel_LP on November 28, 2008 at 5:05 pm

I DON’T CARE WHAT THE OTHER PPL SAID!!! I LIKE THE NEW LPU8 CD!

THE COVER, THE CD, THE SONGS… IT’S REALLY A JOKE…

VERYYY FUNNY!!

I’M NOT A LPU MEMBRER BUT I WILL JOIN THIS YEAR I’M SURE…=)

PS: SORRY MY ENGLISH…=/

39. xeroremorse on November 28, 2008 at 5:02 pm

Screw off guys, the CD is amazing.
    I do not understand why people are complaining over it, its funny and cool and i like it. people should take it in stride, tehy worked hard on it and it is a great treat to LPU members.
    I can’t wait to get my own copy.
    People there is a message here>> http://lplive.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=573&st=280 That at the bottom, shows what mike said about the whole thing.
    Mike i think it is cool that you guys can have some fun and mess around. Its still good, so keep it up.
    Mike, no matter what people say, real fans can appreciate it!
    LPU baby!
    ◊xeroremorse◊

40. Spark on November 28, 2008 at 4:58 pm

Off-Topic but so is everyone else so am I actually On-Topic? O.o Was a bit iffy about renewing this year but after hearing some of the new CD I am definitely spending the extra cash – still don’t get what everyone’s problem is with this but there’s probably no way to make them happy, whatever me likey =)

41. Sonia_LPrnway_ on November 28, 2008 at 4:22 pm

I’M A JELLYFISH!!!
    😛

42. HMF on November 28, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Why r ppl complaining about LPU8? I haven’t gotten the CD yet but it must sound great… why the complains?

43. Jose_z on November 28, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Would this middleman be a music manager? This middleman’s “transparency” would have to do with their cost and how much the band would recieve. The middleman could be a good thing in some asspects because they keep the wannabe “rock stars” busy. But great bands deserved their hard earned money. How is it possible to make money when you really only get $0.23 out of the whole thing? In today’s world it’s hard to tell what is real and what you need to watch out for. So back in the day, what did you look for in a manager?

44. Mafiosa on November 28, 2008 at 3:56 pm

I do not understand what these people are willing to say with music from LPU 8 Mike!
    I found the amazing music, great and very funny.
    I think the Linkin Park very funny and this CD LPU 8 is great.
    I can not understand what people mean by what they comment, because when you did you put LPU 7 live music, and most who bought the package does not like because they found all the songs very normal and the same when you make .
    So you and Linkin Park innovate and resolved before the launch of the package of LPU8 said the LPU8 would be different from everything that has already been launched in other editions of LPU.
    And then they did this CD, people are complaining again, I do not understand.

45. Linkinboss on November 28, 2008 at 3:49 pm

lpu 8, funny? not so… as a joke? for sure, is understandable, but, you just can’t play with our money like that.. is and will never be worth of the around 30 dollars we have to pay to get the lpu and the shippment. you can fool around everything you want but not at the cost of our hard earned money!!!.

mike i respect you a lot, but this is beyond all limits, if you don give a reasonable explanation, i think or any member of the band will mean that lp is just another sold out band… plz don’t dissapoint us that way!. by the way, with this, the lpu is over…

46. Fraesh on November 28, 2008 at 3:40 pm

this album is hilarious and it rox! no band did something like this before! you made something very cool and risky but it rox im still laughing my head off xD

47. linkingabo on November 28, 2008 at 3:36 pm

hey Mike, I really like the songs from the new LPU8…..;))

48. ManBearPig on November 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm

What fickle, fickle fans some of you guys are being. I have no idea where this sense of entitlement grew amongst LPUers, but it’s just sickening. LPU 8 is amazing.
    ON TOPIC: It’s nice to see you write from a (semi) objective point of view. Very insightful.

49. slimshinoda on November 28, 2008 at 3:32 pm

Mike, LPU8 is very fucking good. This is the best LPU ever! The CD is Pink… very cute. You played Umbrella… in next tour can you play something like Y.M.C.A, I will survive or It’s rain man?

50. murry on November 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

So, I’m hearing a little bit of this new LPU 8 CD and I have to say, I’m loving it. I was on the fence about whether I was going to renew right away or wait until the next tour, but this answered it. That is just the kind of thing I wanted to see. Of course, a whole lot of people are whining, but I say let ’em whine. The people who get you guys will get it. As for the ones who can’t pull the sticks out of their asses long enough to enjoy a joke, maybe they should just not renew this year. Maybe I’d finally get into a sit and sign. Anyway, I’m hoping there will be a mysterious MMM… Cookies show at some point in the future. Hahaha…

51. iL4a on November 28, 2008 at 3:31 pm

Mike, could you answer of one question? Your project Fort Minor was like sensation!! What future will be Fort Minor guys? I wish to know it very much!🙂 Thanks,

52. Flight_by_Midnight on November 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm

Mike I really appreciate what you do when it comes to talking about how to get bands noticed, whether to decide to sign, and basically cover everything. The 360 act is kind of crazy, i feel the band should be able to do what they want and what they love to do without any strings attached, just my opinion. Being in a band myself its confusing to see all the stuff you have to face when trying to make it out in the music world. Its kind of scary, even if you work hard, and plays shows every chance you can get.
    Oh and I see the negative feedback on LPU8, no worries dude. I find it amusing. I saw it at Best Buy today and picked it up. Im staying a member like I have been for the past 4 years

53. Hybrid911 on November 28, 2008 at 3:30 pm

first of all. I hope for several of us hardcore fan’s sake that the LPU8 cd is a joke- I’ll run my car on bubbles before I believe for a minute you’re selling us this. I will almost cry handing over nearly 40 quid for the renewal if it isn’t. Second. I can’t believe the songs of the underground CD. personally ive been paying since 2002 for the LPU membership, and you’re selling them songs again? sorry but thats out of order to us members whove been down with LP since the beginning. Third of all. I dont like taking this out on your blog Mike but i dislike using LPU forums.
    On a good note, I love the milton keynes dvd it was a perfect day.

54. lparcshinoda on November 28, 2008 at 3:25 pm

TOTAL SUPPORT FOR LPU8

this is my first comment here. I have to say that i’m REALLY PISSED WITH THE GUYS commenting this post and with the whole LP fandom … WTF I’m the only one to find this GENIAL and so creative ?? c’mon you guys calm down … we wanted something new and different and we got it .. what should lp do to satisfy you ? a new album relased directly on LPU ? Mike, I appreciate this EP .. it’s uniqe from a mainstream band like LP to relase something like this .. ONLY LINKIN PARK can have fun of us like this and I REALLY ESTEEM YOU GUYST FOR DOIN THIS CD that has only 1 problem: IT’S TO SHORT !!!!

TOTAL SUPPORT FOR LPU8

55. YuN_RoCks on November 28, 2008 at 3:22 pm

“My name is Mike Shinoda and I play in a band called Linkin Park.” haha I know this is serious but it made me laugh so bad! it just seems like a mock, it’s absurd that you have to introduce yourself when you’re one of the most popular people in the music business! BTW, I’m too tired to respond to your post with sense, I’ll just say that society is becoming something so related to money and to fake values, that we are missing what really matters. but NOW I wanna share this AMAZING guy I found on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZqwvjwqwK4 -> take a look at the other vids, it would be nice of you to post him here! and he’s italian so..italian pride wohooo!

56. Helene on November 28, 2008 at 3:19 pm

wow, lpu 8 cd is.. hilarious hahahaa! dude, so many fans are pissed off, but i can’t undrestand why. i mean, this cd is a joke, right? lol, as you said, this lpu cd will be different. it totally is🙂 i actually liked jellyfish song😄

57. Adam on November 28, 2008 at 3:17 pm

mike, for the love of god say that the LPU8 CD is a joke.

58. Geister on November 28, 2008 at 3:12 pm

of course it’s genious! In my opinion the new CD is very good but i wonder if LP cares about their old-school fans… For them it’s the 3rd fail in a row: MTM, LPU 7 and now LPU 8.

59. ShireRock on November 28, 2008 at 3:10 pm

I really don’t know what’s up with you guys. I think the new LPU CD is AWESOME! I still keep cracking up like mad and it’s a very refreshing piece in contrast to the previous LPU CDs. Oh my god….26 lettaz is effing addictive! GAH! xD
    True, a couple of ‘real’ songs would’ve been great, but this just made my day! xD Mike, you guys are crazy! Keep your humor! Please! …… goes dancing to 26 Lettaz

ShireRock
    Signing out

60. Gab on November 28, 2008 at 3:04 pm

hey mike, i’m gab with my friend Jom (the guy that in venice showed you the XERO TAPE). we want to say you WE TOTALY SUPPORT THE LPU8 because it is funny, and you are a mad-genius. what else? it’s fucking amazing😄 great work man… for real.

61. RoadtrippinPR on November 28, 2008 at 2:48 pm

wow i hope this is not the real lpu 8 cd!! i am done with the lpu if so. let us know it is a joke mike. what happened to other songs that didnt make mtm like NO ROADS LEFT??? this is not real music, this is bad bad bad!!!! dedicated. a.06. asp. sold my soul. no instrumental this time? what happened to joes mtm instrumentals? where are your demos and bsides? do you not care about the fans anymore? can you not release us a few b-sides? that is all we ask for. we are very sad with the lpu…i feel like the band doesnt care about the fans anymore. the lpu was for us and we support you guys. its hard to do that when the only good benefit you give us on the lpu SUCKS. please release real songs.

62. Hahninator on November 28, 2008 at 2:27 pm

Mike you have to be absolutely kidding. This is the biggest joke I’ve ever seen in my life. MS and CB? That’s 1/3 of LP. The LPU was created to give back to the fans, not create some bullshit shitty music like this. I know you guys are better than this. Please tell me the real songs will be released on the LPU. What happened to the good old days? 2.0 and 4.0. What happened to the MTM b-sides? The 6th song you recorded strings for. Demos. Unreleased stuff like the Team Sleep ‘My December’ remix. What happened to those songs? Why would you screw over fans like this? I am done with the LPU. 7.0 and 8.0 are just jokes. This is incredible. Why not at least some remixes? LOATR was amazing. C’mon!

63. joelpu10 on November 28, 2008 at 2:21 pm

well i never thought i was gonna say this but… FUCK YOU… go ahead ban, but this is nothing new… u guys fucked this new cycle with shitty setlists, dvd, cd… well i got used to ur let down. and you stupid fans keep saying this isthe best lp time? LMAO n00bs… who cares, as i always said, it’s LP they say they love their fans blah blah blahm go ahead and keep believing that shit… they do what they want to do… thank god im not registered to that stupid shit called LPU.

BTW MTM suck as fuck. I thought u were the best band, but what u want it’s money join mafia then ull get millions, what happened with the LP from 2004? i know bands changed but for good, not for suck

64. Randomdudeof2010 on November 28, 2008 at 2:17 pm

Ok I’m changing this post for the third time. Let me tell you I know you guys tried to make something new and did it, but I would be lying if I told you that I like it. I feel bad saying this but Mike I don’t like this LPU. Let me tell ya I was gonna join LPU this year, but it doesn’t look likely. How could you have not foreseen that fans would not like this? The songs aren’t even that long and aren’t something I would keep in my iPod or even pay money for. It’s not too late Mike it would be awesome if you could pull this LPU CD and maybe send a REAL LP CD to fans who were disappointed.I know it’s most likely not gonna happen, but it that’s my wish. Some M2M B-sides would be a God send plz!

65. MarishkaLP on November 28, 2008 at 2:02 pm

ok Mike…mmm…cookies Sweet Hamster Like Jewels From America?? how clever. whould you like to comment?? i really hope you do.

66. sterilepoon on November 28, 2008 at 1:53 pm

I really love your LOATR remix =] Good looks.

67. Mondreus on November 28, 2008 at 1:37 pm

New lpu8 is hilarious😄

68. Spiritedhellion on November 28, 2008 at 1:33 pm

Its great that you encouraged self empowerment to people in this piece. Although I agree that “Selling out” is great deal cultural it is not just limited within a culture of any specific country but also the “Culture” of the music genre you happened to be grouped into. Many people criticize or don’t get those who fall out of, or grow out of, any given “clique” and aren’t very forgiving for musicians who chose to broaden their horizons with their musical expression.

69. Carla on November 28, 2008 at 1:32 pm

Yes, the LPU8 CD is certainly…different and unique. I think we can agree it’s a joke too whether that has a positive or negative connotation. Personally, I’m not overly pissed about it. I’ll admit that I do enjoy the songs since they’re funny and all. However, for sure not all the fans will look at it the same way and will (or have already) lost hope in the LPU and are possibly mad at you guys as well. Just wanted to say that once again, since I’m sure many others will do the same. However, I love the cover and title of the CD.

70. dianlucas on November 28, 2008 at 1:31 pm

OFF TOPIC:

OMG Mike. You and Chester are crazy. HAHAHAHA

But, is not confirmed. Bye.

/lplive.net

71. sian18 on November 28, 2008 at 1:29 pm

alot of ppl have no money and save up all year for the lpu and this is how you reward them with a crapy cd that isint even funny maybe if it was funny it would be cool but this is a joke

72. Snails on November 28, 2008 at 1:22 pm

oo boohoo, some people have no sense of humour.

73. Zach on November 28, 2008 at 1:15 pm

Yo, what the fuck? We pay every year and we get a CD of short joke songs? That’s not fair to us at all. The LPU just lost a lot of members, not that you probably care but still.

74. Chemist999 on November 28, 2008 at 1:09 pm

Well, for no reason whatsoever, I doubled over laughing while reading your response in that first link. I mean, being anonymous ands saying “I am Mike Shinoda and I play in the band called Linkin Park,” that’s just, sorry that I say it this way, adorable. Anyway, replacing labels with advertisers, that just wouldn’t work. With label, you get, well, full services, but you’re tied with that 360 deal. With advertisers, you’re not as tied, but I can’t imagine them handling anything else than CD’s distribution. And let’s face it, with the current royalties, making money and being musician today is about concerts and tours. I’ve read highest royaltyever was like 2 bucks from each CD. Ain’t much.

75. ninguem on November 28, 2008 at 1:08 pm

mike, do you want break your own band? seriously, that new lpu cd sucks, i hope this be just a stupid joke, what a hell that stupid songs, what you smoked to do this, is pretty dissapointing this :@
    tell us the truth

76. Jaclyn on November 28, 2008 at 12:44 pm

Mike, why are you so wise?😀 You give very interisting food for thoughts!

LPU8 is amazing! It’s much better than live songs the whole intornet is full of. It makes me feel alive! That’s the real thing no one expected from LP ))) you prove to be damn alternative every time, it’s effing awesome!

77. ravivandmikefan4life on November 28, 2008 at 12:43 pm

I’m very, very confused.
    Wait so it this about artists and advertising? Like how they get their money and their fans?
    Because i dont understand this at all

78. Southpaw on November 28, 2008 at 12:35 pm

Mike, What the fuck is up with the LPU 8 CD? Is this a joke, or are you trying to be funny in a way nobody likes?
    Please give us “real” songs, not childish jokes.

79. Masterli on November 28, 2008 at 12:30 pm

Mike please tell us that new lpu 8.0 cd is a joke😛

80. big_bad_lukas on November 28, 2008 at 12:26 pm

hahahahaha u guys are so random and funny
    lpu 8 ftw ahahaha

81. miKer0cks on November 28, 2008 at 12:16 pm

O.o wow…I’ve already said this before a million times but your posts are so interesting and awesome!!! Anyway, about this post, I agree with you totally. Everyone should do their work/homework for themselves and finally after all that hard work will pay off!!! Too bad there are people who actually don’t do that😦 I’m a student and I know that homework is boring but I do it for me, to be become better😉 Thx for sharing Mike🙂

82. petiterocker on November 28, 2008 at 12:08 pm

I have to say that in cultural theories post-modernism vs. marxism (and Frankfurt School) still seems to be the dominant discusion. Seeing most bands go commercial isn’t something I would engourage but record companies more and more seem to think that commercial value and consumerism is more important than the cutlural value of the music. Although you can tell that some of the bands are unhappy with their commercial status, some aren’t and they often don’t even have that great music. I do like my band hoodies (comfy when sick) but you can push it too far, so far that there are people who would just avoid those bands because of that. It’s sad to see the music industry turned like this.

83. raven_of_sorrow on November 28, 2008 at 11:57 am

wow thats all i can realy say . it dosent take alot to go and become like capatilized in away i think ac dc did that thou wal-mart but idk

84. spraypaintNinkpens on November 28, 2008 at 11:48 am

The Lpu 8 cd is the worst music I’ve ever heard in my life. Mike, where is the real lpu 8 cd? This surely cannot be it.