Murakami en España

March 17, 2009

image

image

image

We saw the ©Murakami show when it came to LA…but the show’s stop at Guggenheim Bilbao looks incredible. More pieces, beautiful location. It’s too bad that young American fans relate Murakami to Kanye West so quickly because of the last album cover…Murakami is the man, and his work stands alone.

A more thorough look at the work and videos at supertouch:

1. nillp on April 19, 2009 at 9:54 am

TOY ARTS!!!!!!!!!!!!!! o/~ i really love it.. :DDDDDD

what an amazing artist!

i know a guy that does papercraft and things like this.. he’s really talented too..!

anyway. Murakami rocks.. o/

i wish i could see his show too.. ;~

2. WookieBastard on April 1, 2009 at 9:13 pm

A friend who went to spain for a month showed me pictures of the exposition. Mind blowing. The kind of anime-like characters sculptures Murakami does are incredible, specially in the expo that had bigger scale versions of original scultures.

3. Zung92 on March 22, 2009 at 3:47 am

I want you to see these art/ mike!)

4. skindesbous on March 21, 2009 at 12:33 pm

It looks like all the art comes here eventually… Wish I was near to Bilbao, anyway, my sister is, I will tell her to go there. BTW, you should also come to España🙂 the Sonisphere would be a great festival for you (as in England or Finland). Do you know why Murakami started doing things like toys? Because he saw the painting by Goya called Saturn eating his son and he didn’t like it at all so he decided doing art for” children” =D

5. Lore_LP_687 on March 20, 2009 at 4:25 pm

Hi Mike!! Many days without posting here.. Although I don’t know Murakami, I love the way he paints (not as much as I love the way YOU paint xD). The drawings are so amazing, and the subjects are interesting, I’ll investigate more about him. But why did you post a video in Spanish?? You couldn’t find one in English or you know Spanish?? :O

6. YuN_RoCks on March 20, 2009 at 9:23 am

I so love Guggenheim.

7. faiintx on March 19, 2009 at 8:37 pm

woah! that looks really cool!!🙂 mike, i wanted to thank you because you are very, very inspiring. im in the 8th grade, and in school we have to do a project where we explore new areas of our interests; i picked art. my project is to study the style of my favorite artist (YOU!!!) and paint a painting in a similar style. i spent the past several weeks analyzing your techniques and style; and last week i spent about 75$ on acrylic paints and a canvas, etc. i just finished up my painting today, and realized how much i truly enjoyed the experience. i never really considered painting to be one of my passions; but it just might be! thank you so much; you have no idea how much i LOVE you!.

8. NoMoreSorrowGirl on March 19, 2009 at 4:18 pm

They’re so cute!…I’ll gonne tell to my nephew that Tinky winky, Dipsy, Lala and Pooh have now fangs…did vampires bit them?…be careful on vampires Mike.

9. hachy13 on March 19, 2009 at 2:38 pm

WOW de verdad me gusto el artista.. es diferente pero esta tripi

10. Curiosa on March 19, 2009 at 12:58 pm

Wow that is a beautiful location! I love the building! Como te fue en Espana? Te gusto?🙂

11. soyuneik on March 19, 2009 at 8:20 am

If anything, the kickass oozing ink bear reminds me of Akira. The super “milk” squirting male reminds me of Saki from Sin and Punishment. …Yea (I’m so really holding back right now) Anyways, Murakami rocks.

12. PankakeMunky on March 19, 2009 at 6:39 am

murakami’s work is amazing. i love the cuteness of a lot of the works. maybe it’s just the thing an asian person has to say. but yeah, i can see why people would relate murakami to kanye’s last album cover. there are some similarities but i’d have to say seeing more of murakami’s work on the supertouchart.com website just expands my love for cute art. haha

13. zahra on March 19, 2009 at 6:11 am

amazing art !! omg mike i’m ON VACATION , Dubai!!!!!! coldplay is having a concert here on Saturday!!! WHY HAVENT LINKINPARK BEEN HERE BE4?? IF U GUYS COME TO DUBAI I’LL BE THE FIRST TO BUY THE TICKET!!!! PLS COME TO DUBAI!!..anyhooo i called the radio LAST NIGHT(chanel4 music verity 104.80) and i requested a song and guess what????!!! LINKINPARK”LEAVE OUT ALL THE REST” AND THE GUY WAS LIKE WHO DO U WANT TO DEDICATE THE SONG TO &I WAS LIKE:”MIKE SHINODA” AND HE WAS LIKE :”I HOPE HE IS LISTENING TO THE SHOW THEN” AND I WAS LIKE “NO! HE CANT BE” AND HE WAS LIKE ‘WOW MIKE SHINODA LISTENING TO MY SHOW ! WHAT AN ANOER!….:)’ and i was screaming the hotel down!!lol.it was just so awesome!

14. analoggirl on March 18, 2009 at 11:24 pm

Murakami’s exhibit in the Guggenheim Bilbao is well deserved. He created an entire universe for himself with vivid colour and dynamic shapes. Amazing. I know I’ll never look at breast milk the same way again. LOL Lastly, much respect to Frank Gehry!

15. Maaark on March 18, 2009 at 6:02 pm

Honestly I don’t know him… Unfortunately people don’t care about art in Brazil. I’d love to see his show anywhere! Like you said, he’s the man! I really liked his work. It’s kinda inspiring, don’t you think?! You feel like creating new stuff (whatever you want) when you see his paitings and other artworks! Thank you so much for sharing this with us Mike!

Take care!

16. 6277 on March 18, 2009 at 4:35 pm

I love Murakami’s work!. I remember i had to write an essay about his work and the term superflat (it was so long lol) but it’s how i discovered his work😀. It would be so nice to see his show at the Guggenheim Bilbao😦 . They have an exhibition here in London though for some of his new paintings Im going to check that out next week, should be great.
    Most of the members in Kaikai Kiki work is amazing, I really like Chiho Aoshima her work rocks , its awesome. What do you think Mike? I think they shall be my inspiration for my final major project🙂

17. mike_n_LP_4ever on March 18, 2009 at 2:09 pm

You kno…If you think about it…it kinda does look like the Graduation album…then again…it doesn’t. Lol Basically, it looks like Happy Tamagotchi shit lol Im not sayin that as a diss eitha.🙂

-Cati

PS – You should friggen sign up for Dancing With The Stars!!! OMG that’d be so awsome!😀 Im so happy that Steve-O’s on it! Sorry…that’s, kinda off topic….

18. asianotter on March 18, 2009 at 1:31 pm

Thanks, Mike! I love Murakami . . . despite the link to Kanye! HA! His artistic vision and talent are amazing. One of my favorite artists.

19. natalia_spain on March 18, 2009 at 1:05 pm

mike, i suplice you, please, watch my draws, please😦 http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img015h.jpg http://img11.imageshack.us/my.php?image=img013l.jpg http://my.imageshack.us/v_images.php
    please, look my draws, i need, pleasee😦 ( this is my email: natuf6@hotmail.com)

PLEASEEEEEEEEEEEEEE, I NEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEED

20. Madlen on March 18, 2009 at 12:49 pm

I’ve seen his art before…a friend of mine is really into art and I think she introduced him to me…I like it:DThe other videos…I have to ask a friend of mine to translate them-she’s actually studying Japanese in the university😀

21. cuz on March 18, 2009 at 12:19 pm

I like Murakami’s works very much. Thanks for letting me know about him back then. The show looks amazing. Some of the pieces are so great!

22. BrazenEntity on March 18, 2009 at 9:13 am

I have a dead cat in my bathtub. At first it was decapitated, and now, it has it’s tounge sticking out and an eyeball bulging from it’s head. What do I do? The police department gave it to me… I don’t know how to revive it… My cat disappeared yesterday when the vacuum cleaner was on, and, I had to call the police. She is back now. She’s just too cute.

23. Carla on March 18, 2009 at 2:49 am

I saw Murakami’s show when it came to Brooklyn Museum. I was AMAZED seeing his work in real life. Sheesh, some of his paintings are bigger than my house. It’s crazy to think that some of these are owned by people and were just donated for the show. For some reason, I associate him more with his Louis Vuitton work. I wasn’t aware that I had a keychain of KaiKai and Kiki for years without realizing it. My uncle brought it from the Philippines and I noticed the LV monogram symbol on the back, but just deemed the characters on it as “cute” and never searched them up. It wasn’t until my Mom asked me about his work with LV that I recognized them. I also love his animation work alot.

24. Gabry94LinkinParkfan23 on March 18, 2009 at 2:38 am

woooow thats very cool🙂 i luv the first paiting, colours are awesome,r eally :))
    thanks for sharing, Secret Asian Man🙂 take care and have a great day, Gabry

25. Hawaii_LP_fan on March 18, 2009 at 12:50 am

I love his fluid creativity & vibrant colors. At first glance, his art reminds me of a few japanese animes I enjoyed watching & the works of italian artist Simone Legno’s, “Tokidoki” which is more cutesy. I like Mr. Murakami’s art, it’s a bit more on the cutting edge. Wish I could visit his exhibit, it would be awesome! Thanks for sharing Mike & S.A.M.! :o)

26. rocksylvie on March 18, 2009 at 12:44 am

This guy is pretty cool. I’d like you to present your artwork someday,too. What do you say? Have a beautiful day!

27. Lvix on March 18, 2009 at 12:35 am

I think his work is incredeble if you like it but i don’t really like it…
    but i like this amazing building!

By the way, i couldn’t post on the previous topic anymore, that’s why i post it here:
    The singer Laurens of Johnny Berlin told in a comment he talked about you and your blog in the radio…
    And he didn’t lie… You can listen here… It’s all dutch, okaay but you can hear your name!
    And actually, you can hear my name to… lol! and his name of course…
    Link: http://www.stubru.be/node/87145

28. Dori on March 17, 2009 at 11:49 pm

The “Love” Shark! haha ok, that was a REALLY bad reference to 60’s psychadelic artwork! haha It looks like a shark to me, tho… Amazing, Mike!!!

So, it’s NCAA basketball time, Mike… Whose gonna win it all?!

29. EpilepticChickenScratch on March 17, 2009 at 9:43 pm

Haha~ Mike, I’m laughing so hard. Have you seen this before? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jI(underscore)3o(underscore)U-6GI (by the way, type in the underscores yourself because it messes it up when I paste it)
    “I’m going to kill you…” “You’re gunna kill us?!” “No I’m not! I’m just kidding!”
    Also, haha. http://www.originalpranksta.com/pranks.php That dude is freaking amazing, lmfao. “Nobody took your wallet!!” “I’m talking about crime and thievery! Thefticism and stuff like that!”

Amazing art, though. =)

30. shinoda_fan on March 17, 2009 at 9:40 pm

this guy is freaking amazing….
    i mean he’s no Shinoda but still really good.lol.
    i’m Mexican,and when I saw the video,I was like “WOW!?!””MIKE KNOWS SPANISH?!?!”
    do you know spanish Mike?

31. KATHYxx on March 17, 2009 at 8:59 pm

I think i saw that animation somewhere… perhaps at SIGGRAPH.

Love the style. I’ve seen it in several places before and i fugured it was the same person.

32. Celestial on March 17, 2009 at 8:23 pm

I signed in to simply say that his work is amazing because it’s so amazing that it deserves noting that at least three times. Amazing. Okay, I’m good. On a side note, the museum is sick as well.