MFR Aid Following Cyclone Aila

June 1, 2009

I have been asked on a few occasions, “Where does the money that goes to Music For Relief end up?” Currently (and among other efforts), MFR is responding to help provide relief following Cyclone Aila. The Cyclone struck eastern India and coastal Bangladesh on Monday leaving millions of people displaced and in desperate need of food, water and shelter. In West Bengal at least 5.1 million people were displaced, with more than one million people stranded in the Sundarban islands alone, most of them without any food or water. Food security and loss of livelihood are also major concerns as it is estimated that 80,000 acres of rice paddy and other crops have been destroyed, about 250,000 acres partially destroyed and over 50,000 poultry and livestock have been killed.

I donate the income from my art related items in the mikeshinoda.com online store to MFR and my scholarship at ACCD. To donate directly to MFR go here: http://www.musicforrelief.org/donate

MFR is partnering with BRAC in Bangladesh where 100% of funds contributed will go to those affected by Cyclone Aila.

More information about BRAC: BRAC has provided emergency aid and rehabilitation in Bangladesh since its inception and carried out large-scale relief and rehabilitation activities there for cyclone and flood victims in 1987, 1988, 1991, 1998, 2000, 2004 and 2007. BRAC, the largest non-profit in the developing world, was launched in Bangladesh in 1972 and today reaches more than 110 million people in Africa and Asia with its holistic approach to addressing poverty by providing micro-loans, self-employment opportunities, health services, education and legal and human rights education. http://www.brac.net/usa/index.php

other information about Music For Relief can be found at http://www.musicforrelief.org

1. NoMoreSorrowGirl on June 2, 2009 at 3:27 pm

Mike, bless you!

hehe!

Mike, if ever we want to organize this music for relief in our country who we will goin’ to contact!?

Thanks Mike!…take care:)

2. mianica on June 2, 2009 at 3:24 pm

Your activities are reason I belive that there are still few god people in this world.

3. matty4u on June 2, 2009 at 3:34 am

thanks mike for being so considerate!!!!! the hurricane aila has destroyed not only properties but also homes !!!! and it’s not at all amazing to know that it is the marginalized who are having a really tough time!!!!MFR is doing a fantastic job !!! keep it up!!!

4. waie_91 on June 2, 2009 at 2:10 am

An idea of donating to the people who needs help are amazing. Thank god there are some people alive after some tragic tragedy happen there. I pray for a safety of the people. Of course i never made a mistake by becoming your fan & i really like to have a friend like yours. MFR did an awesome job. LP r one of the kindest group n the world today๐Ÿ˜‰

5. zahra on June 2, 2009 at 1:25 am

SWEET!!! X)

6. Neem on June 1, 2009 at 11:21 pm

Hi, Mike! I’m from Bangladesh, too and I would like to thank you and all concerned for lending a hand to the distressed people whose lives have been devastated by Aila. The situation is dire and every sort of help is really appreciated.Your endeavours make me all the more proud to be a fan of not only an exceptionally talented musician, but also a thoughtful, caring individual.
    Have you given any thought to the suggestion made by REZ?

7. Gerardo on June 1, 2009 at 8:35 pm

I ADMIRE SO MUCH TO “MUSIC FOR RELIEF”, THIS PEOPLE IS FUCKIN AMAZING AND MIKE IS DONING ALL! YOU ARE SO GOOD PERSON MY FRIEND, GOD WILL PAY YOU LATER๐Ÿ™‚ I ADMIRE YOU SO MUCH AND IM WITH ALL THESE NEEDED PEOPLE

8. Rez on June 1, 2009 at 6:03 pm

Hi Mike. I’m from Bangladesh and unfortunately cyclones and massive flooding are a part of life. I’m grateful that MFR is doing something to help those who are affected. Mike I believe there might be an alternative way you can help the Bengali people. This July the entire Bengali community is getting together for the annual FOBANA convention. Every year a different city hosts it and this year my town (Houston) gets to host it. You have political heavyweights like George Bush, U.S. Congressman and Senators attending. It’s a massive event that goes on for 3 or 4 days. Anyway, I have an idea on how you and LP can help. Please contact me if you are interested in doing something locally.

9. 4n174 on June 1, 2009 at 4:31 pm

It’s great how you’re helping. I’m really glad that you guys set a good example. Keep up the awesome work!!!

10. Maaark on June 1, 2009 at 3:45 pm

Thank you so much for telling us where the money people donate to Music For Relief is going now. Like someone said in a comment below mine, knowing is half of the battle. I spread the word about MFR on all my websites and I plan to buy the shirt with your artwork… It’s a good way do donate some money to you guys.

Take care Mike!

11. Lvix on June 1, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Music For Relief is something that the world needed earlier and i am so glad it’s excist… However the thing that gives me motivation to support MFR is to top the global warming. About that… I think this is something what we all need to see, believe me this movie can tell us what we need to do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G8IozVfph7I (Mike, you can put it as a blog post for geeting it in front.)

12. Full_Metal_Ninja on June 1, 2009 at 1:47 pm

Good to know. And knowing is half the battle.

13. cuz on June 1, 2009 at 1:38 pm

MFR does a great job. And you guys give so much out of your hearts.

14. ShadowerLiltani on June 1, 2009 at 1:32 pm

Kinda like knowing that buying the art books last year really helped with this. Wow, since 1987, if you put that in perspective, I was one year old at the time. In this day and age, I honestly feel like questions about where the money goes are quite valid. Charity scams are very common, and with the crappy economy (I also live in CT where the economy really sucks), plus there are some really jerk-off celebrities out there who only pretend to give a shit. Just out of curiousity, have you ever thought about expanding your scholarship program to more art schools? We’ve both been through art school, and you know how expensive it is. Sweet people in the world who need a boost.

15. Madlen on June 1, 2009 at 1:09 pm

This is so horrible…it’s really nice to know that you guys are out there helping.I’ve bought most of your merch and I’m going to donate anyway…we really should help those in need and not just talk about doing it but really doing it.Keep doing what you’re doing!

16. MS_Ineedyou on June 1, 2009 at 1:07 pm

I know all about MFR … i’ve been trying to raise money for it, but every cent i get i have to spend for needs. Not like .. “I WAS gonna donate to MFR .. but these shoes are so much better!!” … more like “I really want to donate to MFR but i need to buy food.” …i’m 15 btw … no i’m not homeless .. but .. we are struggling with money .. so i have to pay for it =/ but .. i’ve been setting some aside for MFR .. hopefully i’ll be able to donate soon!๐Ÿ™‚ —Brooke .

17. miKer0cks on June 1, 2009 at 11:24 am

Hey Mike, have a good month๐Ÿ™‚ You know this is huge! Seriously! I don’t know anyone else who does this! I’m so proud to be one of your fans! It’s important to do whatever we can to help others! Even if we donate the smallest amount of money, or even provide clothes and food to people who need it, that’ssomething to them๐Ÿ™‚ So welldone Mike and Linkin Park for doing everything you can in your power to help these people! You’re awesome! I’m so proud of you! Keep rocking๐Ÿ™‚

18. Sintia on June 1, 2009 at 11:21 am

I’m sure you’ll continue 2B asked about wher & how much of the $ actually goes to the people who are in need. Sad to say but there are charities out there that don’t give as much to the people as they claim to. So its difficult to determine which charity is truely giving mostany of the $ to the people who need help.Even tho there are sum who use it for publicity or do it just to make them feel better for themselves & not coming straight from the heart. Any charity that gives %100 of the donations says alot. If I didn’t believe in MFR or LP I wouldn’t had made purchasesdonations that I know would help others that are less fortunate than me. I hope you, LP & ur families are doing good.

19. anaslinkin on June 1, 2009 at 11:04 am

HI MIKE YOU BLOG IS GOOD!!

20. Curiosa on June 1, 2009 at 10:59 am

Hi Mike, hopefully you had a good weekend.๐Ÿ™‚ Wow, I didn’t hear about that but I’ve been so busy I haven’t had time to watch the news.๐Ÿ˜ฆ It’s really nice of you to donate all of the income.๐Ÿ™‚ hugs Yes I’m in a hugging mood.๐Ÿ˜‰