Response to comments: "She Couldn't," etc.

July 3, 2009

M: Many of you have asked about an old demo that is floating around. The song is called “She Couldn’t.” We recorded it in 1999 during the making of Hybrid Theory, but it never made an album and was never released by us. For legal reasons, that’s all I can say about the song, but I hope this clears things up!

Posted by soaring man: I think it would be cool if you keep introducing independent artists (like you did with “promote yourself”). It’s a priceless thing for new artists.
M: It’s on the way! We’re going to do a new “promote yourself” soon. Get your new demos ready…

Posted by Madlen: Does it bother you when people keep calling you nu-metal despite of all the stuff that’s been said or done?
M: “Nu metal” can describe Hybrid Theory and Meteora, I suppose. But by Meteora, we were already taking steps to move out of that genre. And at this point, calling our band “nu metal” is like associating Bjork with Sugarcubes. Any time I hear it, I just think, “are you guys paying attention?”

Posted by lostwithoutwings: what do you think about the current state of the music industry? where do you think things are headed with labels and record companies? everything seems to be internet orientated. & i feel terrestrial radio is fading fast.
M: I can’t speak on terrestrial radio “fading,” I think that might differ from region to region. All I know is that the stuff on the radio in the US can be pretty drastically different from city to city.
To your other point, I post about non-traditional music release and promotion here on ms.com pretty often because I feel like there’s a big revolution–in the way people release and consume music–that hasn’t happened. I still don’t get the feeling that the young bands who visit here realize exactly how much power they have.

1. Rana LP addict on December 23, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Huh?? That’s explains why you never answer me when i ask You about that issue .. ..i only passed by this page.😀 .Legal reasons???!!!! Man,it’s fantastic !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! .. Why didn’t you release it in LPUX :D…

2. triplexero on November 24, 2009 at 3:22 pm

Is this possibly made from She Couldn’t? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LLKkrDxaRck

3. Senia on July 13, 2009 at 8:21 am

here’s a pic i took last week and the post… just if you have the time to check it out…it’s a weird brand name😛 thank you!!😀

can’t wait to hear chester’s “dead by sunrise” and a new FM album😛 (NEW DIVIDE RULES BTW! :P)
    .::. from romania! we’re still waiting for you😦

Lq

4. JT_Shameless on July 7, 2009 at 9:21 pm

Hey Mike, I have a few questions.
    How does Linkin Park feel about Evanescence?
    Would Linkin Park consider a mashup album with Evanescence like you did with Jay Z?
    Would Linkin Park consider teaming up with Evanescence for a couple of brand new songs?
    I doubt it but are you really Evanescence’s song “Wake Me Up”?
    (I just started listening to them and I like them so I thought it would be cool if you guys got together)

5. _Constantine_ on July 6, 2009 at 4:31 pm

Mike, I don’t see what’s the big deal you’ve been making with not wanting to be labeled “Nu Metal” anymore. That’s what defined you guys, and you should embrace it rather than wanting to change it. You are, whether you like it or not, sub-creators and part of this kind of music. It’s like saying Nirvana shouldn’t represent grunge. Not all their songs were grunge. But that’s what they resemble. You are definitely NOT classic Rock, NOT hard rock in the sense of Metallica, not Pop. As long as there is a rapper and a rocker singer along with a dj, everyone will CORRECTLY define you as Nu Metal. You should be proud of that dude. We are!

6. tylerwwe on July 6, 2009 at 12:14 am

Pictureboard for the next LPU CD

7. The_Black_Hawk on July 5, 2009 at 4:36 am

Hi Mike…that was great and I AM glad that you’re having another PROMOTE YOURSELF thing…cuz u know, me & some friends have created a band (Dark Energy), we are tryna do some rock/rap or alternative, but something different, as you (LP) did…we’re working on our first album…! I hope that some day we can do something with LP!!!! (sounds horny, doesn’t it?!) THANX ANYWAY…!

8. zahra on July 5, 2009 at 3:17 am

how ironic!!…..ya i was searching 4 thats song yesterday on itunes and i couldn’t find it and i was soooo mad cuz ever one seems to be talking about it and i’ve never heard it befor…lol..nu metal thing again aaaaaah O.o jezzzzzzzzzz ppl just let it go!!….and thanx again for haveing this site mike i’m really in to whats happening here…have fun…X)❤❤❤

9. Ezza on July 4, 2009 at 10:14 pm

no offense but she couldn’t is good but compared to the rest of the released stuff i see why it didnt make the album.

if u think the radio in the ur country is all over the place then u have Australia where 99% comes from one place i would give anything for a bit of variance in the programme on a trip to Melbourne

10. Morn_Ling on July 4, 2009 at 12:23 pm

In 1 of ur interviews u said that u have about 100 pairs of shoes. Could you take a photo of them all please?😀

11. lostwithoutwings on July 4, 2009 at 8:45 am

hey, thanks for responding to my post! & yeah i have to agree, terrestrial radio does different from one area to the next. i guess i’m just fed up with the stuff in mine. also, A LOT of up and coming musicians do feel like they don’t have a legitimate platform and kind of get lost in the sea of randomness. i think the platform you provide here is pretty amazing! it’ll be so interesting to see where things are headed with the music industry in the next few years. thanks again! -jenn =)

12. dizzy on July 4, 2009 at 6:11 am

hey mike! i just have to say you’re awesome. i’m a big fan. anyway i have a question: i want to buy a guitar and i want to ask you if Squier is a good one. i hope you’ll answer. thanks! LP forever

13. Silvia_M on July 4, 2009 at 6:00 am

Hi Mike!
    The idea to answer to the questions of your fans is fantastic!!!
    I have a small question too: will Linkin Park return in Italy, one day?
    I don’t know if someone has already asked you sthis, but I hope you will answer.
    Ah and excuse me for the approximate English :°)
    Bye !!! Silvia

14. Kalini on July 4, 2009 at 5:29 am

JeffryLP is right! The Princess, there should be no agression on MS Blog! Mike, such comments should be deleted, in order to not be posted again. Thanks for answering Madlen’s question. This post is with regard to your “Questions and suggestions” post, so I have a suggestion. Once you’ve posted “Stand by me”, performed by singers all around the world. You know what happened in Iran. You have fans in Iran who post here very often. Bon Jovi and Andy (Iranian singer) recorded “Stand by me” in support for the people in Iran, it’s not for release, it could be downloaded for free by the people in Iran. Could you post it, so they could spread it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RASKaZFZtS8 Thanks! K

15. Shinoda77 on July 4, 2009 at 4:44 am

what was writing there, guys? it seems to be deleted

16. Wotur11 on July 4, 2009 at 4:38 am

:> that song is pretty cool i like it your rap is totally great!hm im wondering what kind of genre will the new release be…but dont worry bout genre mike just do your best with your new album we all love you >.< for me meteora is the best album till now and the fourthcomin one will be another miracle? ps:hey mike when i d just signed in the lastest post disappeared! =”=

17. aprillll on July 4, 2009 at 3:20 am

hey Mike🙂
    do you reckon you and the guys will come back to the rowdy Perth, Australia, on your next tour? your ’07 concert here was amazing!

18. jeffryLP on July 4, 2009 at 3:13 am

MS BLOG PROBLEM IS BACK ))))))))) .. ThePrincess’s comment below about punch things !! soo f**ing LOL !!!! u go girl ^^^^

19. Madlen on July 4, 2009 at 2:57 am

Omg thank you so much for answering my question🙂 ^^

20. AlexLP2k9 on July 4, 2009 at 2:41 am

What was your favorite scene from Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen ?

21. ThePrincess on July 4, 2009 at 2:33 am

is about ‘She couldn’t’ .. its a good song & I think for the next album would be better if you make one or two songs with a bit sensitive theme like that, for example about love or woman ( we want to see your views about that two things ) plus not all of your fans are male right ? believed that will not damage ur image as a real man. 2. is I decided I will not give a comment on ur response to Madlen coz ‘Stupid Nu-Metal things’ topic make me really want to ‘PUNCH’ you seriously ! .. So . . yes daddy we’re totally paying attention!hey i’ve to Renew my LPU member.. i must go TC..

22. Adaminator on July 3, 2009 at 8:38 pm

And for the next LPU, it would be awesome to include some Instrumentals. Even if they were of songs already released, i’d love to have an official No More Sorrow Instrumental or even an official What I’ve Done Instrumental😉

23. rahn on July 3, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Hey is this like another version of she couldn’t?

It has some other rapper on it he’s actually really good, is this real or some random kid?

24. lucky_cat on July 3, 2009 at 3:38 pm

Ah, I’m glad to hear you’re going to continue the “promote yourself” project! I missed it.
    It’s interesting what you said about the differences of the radio stations in the US … I think it’s similar here in Germany, the differences are big from city to city. Here in Berlin we still have a wide diversity, even though all my favorite stations were closed over the years. Elsewhere, I doubt … But like you said, things are changing.
    The login-problem is back. When I login, your post disappears … we had the same problem few weeks ago. Have a nice weekend.

25. mike_n_LP_4ever on July 3, 2009 at 2:15 pm

Thank you Mike. I wuz telling some ppl that were on the LPU chat about She Couldn’t, and they were saying that they’ve never heard it before and that its probably gunna be on the next album; basically: A Leak. And I wuz like, “Nope its a demo they made back in 1999.” and told them all the info i knew about it and they were like, “Maybe you were the one that leaked it”. So now they can hear it from you. Thank you once again…and i really like She Couldn’t. Its a nice song.🙂

-Cati

PS – I dont think you changed(happily)🙂 and Jade(the girl who won the MFR contest) said that Chester is sweeter than you😛

26. JohannesK on July 3, 2009 at 1:56 pm

Some demos would be a great thing for the next LPU CD! =)

27. Zaki on July 3, 2009 at 1:20 pm

“She Couldn’t” blew me away, just like the other demo tracks that have been leaked before. What other gems are you guys hiding from us? Would you guys ever consider releasing all those goodies officially? Maybe as part of a box set somewhere down the road?

28. linkinparc on July 3, 2009 at 12:21 pm

Hey mike!

could you please post the CORRECT lyrics!
    cheers

29. LPFan on July 3, 2009 at 12:14 pm

I totally agree with the who nu-metal thing Mike. As a matter of fact, on the way home in the car today, my brother was making fun of my music taste calling Linkin Park ‘pop’ I was nearly pulling my hair out with anger, lol!

Anyway, I have a question too…

I was watching a video on youtube where this guy was like, asking you for your autograph, you kept telling him no and eventually you got into your car. Anyway, I don’t think you have, but everyone who commented below are saying how much you’ve changed and shizz. But if a fan was to ask you for your autograph, you’d give them it right? Your not total stuck up? Haha.

Sioned xox

30. natalia_spain on July 3, 2009 at 12:03 pm

i´m the frist!!! one question mike: fans can see you only as a component of Linkin Park singer or even as a friend?