GLORIOUS EXCESS DIES comes to L.A.

August 6, 2009

Posted by lpcrazygirl (similar posts by others) – I would like to read something about your glorious excess dies art show or rather if you will make a glorious excess born/dies art show in another country like maybe germany. That would be amazing and I think that many fans will go and see your art show, because it’s incredible!

M: Sorry for the late response on this / these…I’m glad you guys asked about the art show. My GLORIOUS EXCESS DIES art show is returning to Los Angeles on August 29th! It opens at the Japanese American National Museum, and stays open from August 30th to October 4th. There will be 17 new pieces, plus a new video documentary. I will be attending the opening, available for autographs if you’re interested🙂 The money from the show, as usual, goes to charity (MFR, ACCD, JANM).

Glorious Excess is about obsession with celebrity culture, consumer addiction, and fascination with excess. The show follows a nameless celebrity character as he indulges in the sex, drugs, and rock n roll lifestyle. In this show, he grows to the limits of his fame, reveling without moderation in the excesses of modern celebrity until he implodes.

I’m also pleased to announce there will be a new book released with the show. It’s over 120 pages long, and covers the entire Glorious Excess experience, in text and pictures. Not just a “making of” piece; the book elaborates on the thoughts behind the show, with stories about how my ideas and thoughts on the subject came to be. It’s the first time I’ve been able to properly sum us the GLXS experience. More info to come…

1. Mandyoshi23 on August 26, 2009 at 5:35 pm

im really excited how you choose JANM as your exhibition spot! ive actually worked with a couple of JACL programs that provide the youth with insight about what is going on in Little Tokyo and how we can make a difference in the future. Your work gives inspiration to alot of young aspiring japanese american artists. i cant wait to see your opening and maybe get an autograph!!!

2. JamesWong on August 26, 2009 at 2:42 am

I want to ask a question and I hope someone will answer it :O
    Question: IF the Glorious Express (Dies) New Book will be selling on your online store, will [someone] ship the book to Hong Kong after I paid? And How many Books will be selling on the Online Store?

3. nillp on August 21, 2009 at 12:09 pm

oow. really amazing!

i just think that you should do art shows world wide..

would be amazing to have the opportunity to check your art in person..!

mk’nil ♥

4. Pisces04 on August 8, 2009 at 5:15 pm

Please Mr. Shinoda, do an art exhibit in North Central Washington!🙂

5. zahra on August 8, 2009 at 1:58 am

MORE INFO!!!!!LOL!…i just love to know more and more….is this really going to be ur last show????!! i mean PLZ! DONT!…u love art ,we love art ,,then keep doing it!…i mean we are all happy right?///lol….oh i’m sooooooooooooo getting the book thing!….when is it available 4 us to get it from ur site’s store!??????are u having new stuff up on ur store??? MORE INFO!…….X)

6. anabia on August 7, 2009 at 3:16 pm

7. Kalini on August 7, 2009 at 11:29 am

More info will be expected…

8. niabai20 on August 7, 2009 at 6:13 am

I can’t wait to see you the new picture and the vidoe.
    How is linkin park doing mike.
    I hope you guys came to arizone again.
    Your fan nia.

9. Heydy on August 7, 2009 at 4:54 am

Thanks for the information about Glorious Excess Dies!🙂 Wow, I wish I could see it… Unfortunately LA is a bit too far from Finland.:/🙂 All the best for you with the show, I’ll be looking forward to the release of the book!
    There is actually one thing I’ve been wondering. About those Japanese (I guess they are Japanese) letters under text ‘mikeshinoda.com’ on the top of the page, does it actually say something? I don’t know any Japanese, but it would be nice to know.🙂

10. abbykulyde on August 7, 2009 at 2:46 am

if only LA is a walk away, sigh wish i can see your artwork in the flesh mike.. but anyways, goodluck on your art show..

♥abby

11. Shady on August 7, 2009 at 2:31 am

Mike, a great pics from St.Petersburg, you can see here: http://linkinparkfans.ru/gallery/st.petersburg_2009/

12. clara110 on August 7, 2009 at 12:59 am

HEY MIKE! I was just surfing on deviantArt and that’s what i found: http://widyarahayu.deviantart.com/art/love-to-share-122758795… DAMN GREAT! I just remembered you asking for fanart a while ago… so I guess this is probably the best stuff you can find at the moment!!! xD oh and I love this one too: http://widyarahayu.deviantart.com/art/weleh-weleh-122754101..
    would deserve a post on your website, wouldn’t it? xDD

thx for the nice show in Zurich and special thx to phoenix for his wristband.xD

love, Clara

13. Sharisse on August 6, 2009 at 11:06 pm

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress of your art show. I’m looking forward to seeing your new work. I’m a little disappointed that I won’t be able to see your work in person, but I’m looking forward to getting the book and hopefully you’ll post pictures of your new work on this site. Will the book/art be available to purchase through your online store like it was for your other work?

14. aussieChazz on August 6, 2009 at 8:57 pm

I will be out there at the opening so I’ve definitely missed that , but my tropical doll will came, who know she would like to share the story of that great event with me !! btw I’m very curious to the new book coz I am interested to the narration behind ur artwork than ur autographs dude , perhaps I can get it by online !!

15. jeffryLP on August 6, 2009 at 8:13 pm

likely. your autographs is one of the essence in the event , so , YES we are very interested dude🙂 beside that i was always fascinated to something that concern about sex, drugs, and rock n roll lifestyle ..It would be a great art exhibition , as I say before .. I surely come !

16. davidkyoku on August 6, 2009 at 5:18 pm

Hi Mike! I hope you have a great succes with the gallery😉
    I’d like to share with you and everyone here the first Linkin Park magazine in the world. It’s only in spanish, because is made of Linkin Park Spain users. I am the subdirector of that magazine, and I hope you take a look on it, I think you’ll specially like the cover. Here is the link: http://www.megaupload.com/?d=V0KTFEX9
    And here’s the cover: http://i32.tinypic.com/6jq5fl.jpg

Have a good tour in Asia😉

David

17. Madlen on August 6, 2009 at 3:58 pm

Super excited about the show…wish I could see it live but I’m too far away:DBut I’m definitely getting that book…and I might even get another skateboard:D

18. Ana_ on August 6, 2009 at 3:54 pm

I’m very excited about your new book!! It’s a pity that LA is so far from Portugal… =/ But I think you’ll put the book on your online store, so that we (here in Europe) can buy it easily.🙂 And you could autograph these books too.😉 Ana.

19. PrincessbyDawn on August 6, 2009 at 3:40 pm

Mike can we buy your artbook by internet?! I mean this new one, I would love to have this man!! You should autograph all of them by the way, that would be amazing! I live in Brazil, no chance to go there…but I would love to get your book. Any chance to have this?! It would be the only way to see and to feel your art….love, Pat

20. Maaark on August 6, 2009 at 3:16 pm

I’d love to go to LA to see your work, meet you and get an autograph. Seriously, it would be a dream coming true… But I’m in Brazil. So I don’t think it’s possible. Are there any chances of making your art show in other countries (like… hm… Brazil? ha!).

I can’t wait to get your new book. I’m saving some money already to buy it. You should autograph all of them, don’t you think? HAHA!

Have a nice day Mike, take care!

21. Setita on August 6, 2009 at 2:34 pm

Many ppl wants to see the Mike’s art in they own countries. To organize such a tour is not impossible. In almost every country official fan club of LP exists to help to find a good place, and take care of terms ,promotion, etc., but..
    -Mike should want it and mark on the map where he would like to show his art and think about the terms (about a year before the exhibition)
    -All the ppl interested in serious help, should meet on a specialy made forum to help Mike to control whats going on
    -When the terms and places would be setted Mike should make the strict plan according promotion and send materials to responsible ppl, who will make a photo report from every taken action. (char. limit)

22. Diana_LP_adicted on August 6, 2009 at 1:34 pm

LINKIN PARK LIVE SHOW IN PORTUGAL (ROCK ONE FESTIVAL / PORTIMAO) BEST DAY OF MY LIFE you rocked mike , PORTUGAL LOVE LP!!!!!! BEST SHOW EVER, NO JOKE!!!

23. lovableFreak on August 6, 2009 at 12:57 pm

i’d love to come to LA, i’d love to see your work for real, i’d love to meet you, i’d love to get an autograph… but… i’m stuck here in germany… DAMMIT… why does (nearly) everything about LP has to happen on the other half of the world??? that sucks… really… :,(
    i love, how you handle this sex-drugs-and-rock’n’roll-topic, cause it’s actually a part of your own life. and i really admire, how critical you handle it in your art. it makes you kinda nice…🙂 thank you for being that honest.
    much love and greetings from germany.
    PS: thx also for your totally awesome show at gräfenhainichen/ferropolis.😀

24. soyuneik on August 6, 2009 at 12:50 pm

Hmm. Autograph? How about a handshake or a short action figure battle? IF you can see me I might just wave.
    Edit: lol, Hell nah, I am so not just waving after flying 3,000. Autograph my eyeballs. M on the left S on the right.

25. LcatP on August 6, 2009 at 11:51 am

Sweet Mike can’t wait! I will be there opening day and hopefully get an autograph. I’m also excited for the video documentary! Oh I was wondering if there was going to be any online (or off) GLXS Dies promotional stuff so we can spread the word!? See you in Epicenter 09!

-Cat.

26. Mimz_LP on August 6, 2009 at 11:32 am

hi mike i’m really exciting that you reply to us about your art show ! but can you tell us something new about LP or FM? and one more thing – have you ever been with D2 (bulgarian band) on one stage?

27. pat on August 6, 2009 at 11:23 am

hi mike are u thinking of doing a Glorious Excess in Europe? (I do not know if you made this LOL)
    byebye take care

28. Squishy_Ho on August 6, 2009 at 11:14 am

…but you really didn’t answer their other question.

Is it gonna be displayed elsewhere than in LA? Yes or No? Why?

29. Dori on August 6, 2009 at 10:40 am

As I’ve said before, I CANNOT wait!!! Also, and I’ve thrown this out there once before, I still think it would be awesome to adapt the story of this nameless character into a comic book or graphic novel. It’d probably take you forever to complete it tho cause of your busy schedule…. btw, you don’t have to write the story in words yourself, if you don’t feel you can… Someone else can do that for you… Sorry for going slightly OT…

30. skindesbous on August 6, 2009 at 10:16 am

I’ve found this photo of you and the glorious excess pictures in the back I hadn’t seen before. I found it casually. If you have more like this one, you could post it and we could guess what the unfocused pictures are :D! http://www.andamosarmados.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/07/mike-shinoda-glorius-excess-exhibition-2.jpg

31. cincybmxlpfreak on August 6, 2009 at 10:13 am

Man, I would LOVE to come visit the exhibit. Maybe I’ll be able to make it out there between August 30th and October 4th…I’ll have to see if I have a break from school during that time, though.:/

32. xXLEOXx on August 6, 2009 at 9:44 am

It´s a pity that you don´t come to other countries like Germany! :´( But it would be awesome when you could tell us more about the new book! For example: Where can we buy it? I´m so exited to take a look at it and to read it!
    I want a autograph, too!🙂 Maybe in a few years I will life in LA and then I can meet you at your 5th or 6th GLXS show! xD
    Take care! ♥ from Germany! ^^

33. Smail225 on August 6, 2009 at 9:41 am

wonderful music…beautiful pictures…There are no doubts that book will be nice. But what will be next? :))))

34. cuz on August 6, 2009 at 9:25 am

120 pages – looks like the book will be incredible! Can’t wait to get it. I’m far away from LA, I can’t be at the show so I love the idea of having art books! Plus I love that Glorious Excess (Dies) gonna have 17 pieces! Can’t wait to see them! I hope you’ll post them here, like always before🙂

35. Virginie on August 6, 2009 at 8:49 am

Thanks for the infos. Just hope that we will be able to buy the GED book as usual on your site. By the way, you don’t really answer to the question : will we see your art show in other countries ? Maybe, you can bring some pieces with you when LP will be on tour for new album next year and show them before your concert. Have a nice tour in Asia.

36. LPdes23 on August 6, 2009 at 8:26 am

I wanna autograph !!!! And I wish I was still in LA those days. I really want to go. Well good luck with the show, hope it’s great =D and also I’m so gonna buy that book as soon as it is released🙂 good luck, and have funn

37. Eddie on August 6, 2009 at 8:23 am

Great info!!!! Very interesting!!! Thank you Mike!!!🙂 17 new pieces? New book with over 120 pages? That’s great!!! I want SO much to come, but I can’t😦 Too far….. Athens, L.A….. Damn….. Keep us updated about Glorious Excess Dies!!! Thanks again!!!

38. merve on August 6, 2009 at 8:22 am

in ‘more info to come’ part you can tell us when the book will be released:D also you can tell us more about the pieces…i definitely love the concept of Glorious Excess…cant wait to see next (last) part:)

39. Curiosa on August 6, 2009 at 8:17 am

Hi there.🙂 Thanks 4 the info.🙂 17 new pieces huh, I’m definitely intrigued. Hopefully I’ll have a chance 2 say “hi” to u & maybe pick ur brain about ur artwork.😉 Otherwise hope u don’t mind me just saying “hi” on here (I hate long lines). The book sounds interesting, might just have to get 1.🙂 Btw, I think u mean “sum up” in the last paragraph instead of “sum us”.😉

PS: I found out that when Ap tells u 2 play in trafic he likes u.😛 lol My natural response was, LA traffic is so slow it’s like playing in a playground.😛 lol Ok I admit it, I’m being a smart ass towards him. It’s all friendly though.🙂 Take care.🙂

Edit: can’t wait 2 hear the song u produced w/Ap.🙂

40. Xris24 on August 6, 2009 at 7:37 am

your art show sounds really interesting and it’s a pitty it’s only in LA =/ when will the new book be released? and will it be released only in america? i hope it will be available in europe too🙂 .. you guys did a really good show in Sonisphere Finland and i hope you enjoyed it too🙂 it must be nice to perform in front of many people (61000). oh and when are you going to post a new LPTV episode? can’t wait to see those from your tour =)