More True Self @ Jonathan LeVine

October 21, 2009

I’m headed to NYC for the private opening of “True Self” at Jonathan Levine. Above is a small detail of the piece I did…Gary asked each artist to do a piece that represents themselves in some way, although not necessarily a self-portrait. Mine is a little bit like a painted doodle…it’s like what I would draw on a notepad next to a hotel phone if I was on a long call (except in paint instead of ballpoint ink). With that said, I called it “DoodleBrain.”

Other True Self participating artists: Adam Wallacavage, Alex Prager, Amor Muñoz, Boris Hoppek, Christian Clayton, Cleon Peterson, Dalek, Dave Cooper, David Sandlin, Deedee Cheriel, Eric White, Esther Pearl Watson, Fons Schiedon, Frieda Gossett, Gary Taxali, Gary Baseman, Gerard Dubois, Gretchen Ryan, James Jean, Jonathon Rosen, Korin Faught, Lauren Bergman, Leah Hayes, Lola, The London Police, Luke Chueh, Marion Peck, Mark Ryden, Mark Todd, Martha Rich, Mike Shinoda, Miso, Natalia Fabia, Orly Cogan, Ray Caesar, Rob Clayton, Robin VanValkenburgh, Ron English, Ryan Heshka, Ryan Jacob Smith, Shag, Shannon Freshwater, Tim Biskup, Travis Lampe. Sounds like a good show.

Opening Reception:
Saturday, October 24, 2009
7:00pm – 9:00pm

Jonathan Levine Gallery
529 West 20th Street, 9th Floor
New York, NY

1. Jo_o8 on November 2, 2009 at 4:19 am

Real interesting Mike, I like how your mind works.

2. Dori on October 27, 2009 at 9:51 am

great stuff Mike! I love how I can look at your work, and go, that’s “amazing,” even if I don’t always understand the point you’re trying to make…

FYI: Sorry I haven’t been around lately… I’m trying desperately to recover from the Swine Flu…

3. analoggirl on October 25, 2009 at 10:52 pm

Great insight, Kathyxx! The first thing that came to mind was the Hybrid Soldier, but I love the symbolism of the archangel…

4. cuz on October 24, 2009 at 3:32 pm

That looks great. I like the facture. Let us know how it was in NYC and post a whole piece if you can, please :)

5. Madlen on October 24, 2009 at 11:54 am

I’ve bee6 waiting for that for a while now:)Will you upload a picture of the whole painting?I’m assuming that the little person with the spear is you?Anyways it looks really awesome:)Have fun at the art show and post some pics later:)

6. subvertmagazine on October 24, 2009 at 4:11 am

Hey Mike great work very interesting composition. Fish hold prime symbolic meaning – fertility, eternity, creativity, femininity, good luck, happiness, knowledge, transformation. Were any of these things on your mind when you created this piece? I would love to know more about it. On another note, we are still receiving tons of positive comments about the interview we with you. Especially the bit about handling constructive criticism, it has inspired so many people!! It would be great if you could link to it on your blog so your fans would benefit from it too. Angel – SUBvert magazine

7. maria on October 23, 2009 at 10:32 pm

Mike, this piece is a true masterpiece). It would be interesting to see something else from this gallery here from the link.) But it remnded me about Hybrid Theory soldier with th wings). Today is October, 24, it is Hybrid Theory 9th years anniversary!!!!!. So through the site of those years I’d like to congratulate you on such a big day!! Happy anniversary today, Mike. LINKIN PARK!!!!!! And my big thanks for LP that helped us all to understand who were are and that life is a brilliant carried out by a good transformer of thoughts.)))

8. Tremblar on October 23, 2009 at 5:00 pm

Don’t know if you’ve said it anywhere but who’s the reoccurring character with the wing’s and spear. Is he the same from Hybrid Theory?

9. Janni_Loves_LP on October 23, 2009 at 4:41 pm

Awesome Mike! :D Can’t wait to see the whole piece..! ^^ Also I want to say congrats on Hybrid Theory’s 9th Anniversery! :D (here it’s already the 24th :P ) We love you! Keep making brilliant music! Much love – Janni

10. sarah35 on October 23, 2009 at 2:04 pm

Doodle? You don’t hear yourself…. Where you did you leave your ears? ;DDD
    According to me your part is very nice but I thought that you’re more ambitious…
    Ok, joke, that was joke xDDD Good job as always ;)

OK btw… Could you check it and read it, please?

Take Care

11. spaniel on October 23, 2009 at 12:45 pm

Yeah good (very beautiful) work but would see the whole picture so as to comprehend it.

12. vickylp on October 23, 2009 at 12:29 pm

it will be great for sure! good luck with the show! :) :) :)

13. lovableFreak on October 23, 2009 at 12:18 pm

ooooh, that looks so great!!! will we get the chance to see the whole piece? i’d love to!!! man, this small angel-like person… it’s kinda cute… and the way you painted it… simply amazing! as alwys, of course. ;)

14. zahra on October 23, 2009 at 7:10 am

gonna be a good show!!! no argues on that! wish i could goo…ughh i was in NY a month ago!…aaaaah soo not fare i cant come to the show

15. miKer0cks on October 23, 2009 at 6:48 am

Wow! I wanna see a pic woth the whole pic. Seems so interested! I like the way you represent yourself :) Congrats once again for the piece :) Have fun at the show…I bet it’s gonna rock :) Can’t wait for saturday! 1st cause it’s this art show and 2nd because it’s the first time, the international LP day will be celebrated! How cool is that? :D

PS. Wish Chester a speedy recovery from me ;)

16. natalia_spain on October 23, 2009 at 6:29 am

u put the ñ in amor muñoz!!! jajajaja…one think…the last time u update a similar post u don’t put Miso…is beacuse u don’t remeber put he or beacuse he don’t paint in the past moment? (what shit of traduction)

17. Dreams_of_you on October 23, 2009 at 2:47 am

That’s how you represent yourself? =)
    I like your work, because they are interesting, modern and not boring. You have an interesting outlook, an expression of yourself =)

18. Fatima91MS on October 23, 2009 at 1:44 am

Looks awesome! :) Wish you good luck,Mike ;-)

19. LPmadman on October 22, 2009 at 9:45 pm

Yeah dude , that NoodleBrain looks Awesome !

20. SkullzTatz on October 22, 2009 at 9:34 pm

I live in NY and hopefully I can come in person .. I’m really curious to This

E-Half doodle thing :D

21. boyzdontcry on October 22, 2009 at 9:26 pm

I don’t even have the energy to say how Awesome this poke pic ..

22. LPfeather on October 22, 2009 at 2:27 pm

oh this lil guy reminds me of a peace keeper or a mix between a soldier and Cupid.
    I can say that you’re a guy full of peace =]

23. _Tiff_Tiff_33_LP_ on October 22, 2009 at 1:00 pm

cool,I like it^^YAY GO SPIKEY MIKEY^^

24. ShadowerLiltani on October 22, 2009 at 12:22 pm

I was really looking forward to this show, since I’m in New England. Unfortunately, since I still don’t have a job I don’t have money for the train and cab ride, I can’t go. I wanted to at least be able to shake your hand and say hello. The list of well known people I want to meet and respect greatly is very, very short, and you happen to be on that list. It’s funny though, when you posted this painting the last time, I was looking at it and thinking it looked like a bunch of notebook doodles (I kinda do the same thing sometimes), so you managed to get your point across rather well in my opinion. Edit: Have you ever thought about showing more future art in non-California galleries?

25. Lvix on October 22, 2009 at 8:57 am

Sometimes I am wondering when you have time for all those things.
    How long you’ve worked on this piece?

Greetz,
    Lode

26. liope on October 22, 2009 at 8:55 am

It looks awesome!! And i love those fish so much!!! I hope you will post your painting in a whole piece later.. ^^

27. NYCBabe on October 22, 2009 at 8:18 am

Awesome! Finally, I get to see your art in person.

28. aussieChazz on October 22, 2009 at 7:50 am

First Chicken Basket then Brain doodle .. What a perfect Action dude !! ..Two Thumb up , I’m so lucky with that Although I’ve started to feel the cold air in here coz MS’s Heater will disappear at this site for an unspecified time ( Damn You , New Atmosphere but I am a bit relief LOL ) .. Ok , Good luck with the show dude !

29. jeffryLP on October 22, 2009 at 7:30 am

Great painting , .. and I also found one great name there Mark Ryden ! He’s an artist who has a perfect skill with a distinctive style ! .. btw thanks dude for show us ANOTHER GREAT SIDE OF MIKE SHINODA with the “BrainDoodle” and “Chicken Basket” .. Hell Yea , it would be convenient us to give you a credit points to consider in terms of ‘ worth or not worth ‘ thing lol !

30. ShimizuAiko on October 22, 2009 at 7:24 am

Totally luv these unfinished pic , have fun with the show Mike :D

31. PaintedDreams on October 22, 2009 at 6:19 am

Hey, Mike. =] Are you just going to the private showing or are you going to be at the opening reception too? I’m planning on going to the gallery and I’m so excited! From what I’ve seen so far, the art looks very interesting; I can’t wait. =D

32. girlaloud on October 22, 2009 at 6:04 am

I would call these half-piece with Doodle Mask coz I really like the way you
    express the struggle between the cowardly wolf character and the sense of absurdity , sanctimony hidden fears , fragile lies and downgrade resignation .. Huge Respect for Mr Shinoda :)

33. LPHooligan on October 22, 2009 at 5:01 am

Weird , why you don’t show us the whole painting ? ..

34. RurouniKenshin on October 22, 2009 at 4:55 am

NoodleDoodle Brain ??? lol ..

35. luckyluck on October 22, 2009 at 4:53 am

Cool Piece but Noodle Brain ??!! .. dude Are you sure it is the right title ???

36. RicoRodz on October 22, 2009 at 4:49 am

half of it .. looks cool !

37. DemonNoir99 on October 22, 2009 at 4:35 am

I think These Doodle brain was same mysterious with chicken Basket hahaha …

38. MobzSean1 on October 22, 2009 at 4:32 am

That Doodle Brain looks really cool especially if you show the whole piece ..

39. BlackHawk on October 22, 2009 at 4:29 am

Good painting , but did you realize that the equation of the word Doodle Brain was Hypocritical – Arrogant old man who wants something that’s not his right to have , .. seriously dude , it seems you have to find another title lol !

40. TheDarkPrince on October 22, 2009 at 4:24 am

Actually, what the hell is in your Doodle Brain so you can create all these characters ? .. Love it !

41. soyuneik on October 22, 2009 at 2:09 am

Lovely. I want a Bee guy action figure and the Droid guy. (where ever he went) When I was kid, I had an adult take me to an event where hundreds of painters would set-up in a park. The adult walked me to each of these painters quickly explaining I wanted to be an artist and asked “If artists made a lot of money”. One by one, they said “No”. It’s not exactly a fairy tale where one mysterious painter stood up for success or anything… There’s a painting I did floating around..I don’t think anyones even knows I paint. I suppose they wouldn’t, after all it was the first time I had in over a decade. Nowadays, I just doodle. The things you make me remember….

42. Angi220 on October 22, 2009 at 2:03 am

Look how cute you are ~~~~ Angel Mike~~~~ What’s the thing that Little Angel Mike trying to attack there in the picture??? I really wanna see the whole piece!!!! Please………………

43. KATHYxx on October 22, 2009 at 1:58 am

That’s kinda like the archangel, named Michael, the commander of heaven’s armies or whatever.
    That’s where your namesake comes from, yes?

EDIT: your comments system is messed up. i only see stuff when i’m logged in.

44. abbykulyde on October 22, 2009 at 1:10 am

hhmmm.. looks like you’re a Soldier-slash-Cupid to me.. haha, thanks for showing it by the way..

be safe on your trip to NY mike!

♥abby

45. lp_fm_fan on October 21, 2009 at 11:33 pm

AW, I’m going to NY at the end of November, couldn’t you come then? XD haha jk. Awesome work, Mike, I wish I could of seen in person…I get there the same day the art gallery closes, bummer.

46. Moepi on October 21, 2009 at 11:13 pm

wow :D first xD sitting here in school doing a project in religion lessons :D
    I really love the paiting, it’s quite amazing :D May I ask how long you needed for this one? And how big it is :D
    I also draw and paint a lot and even sell some of my pieces, not that I am that good, but some ppl like it. Maybe you have time to check it out: http://moepi92.deviantart.com/ geetings to you and your family from Germany, currently listening to Dead By Sunrise’s Out of Ashes, amazing album :D