4 Million Facebook fans, New Twitter, 8BR Update

April 11, 2010

A few new things in Linkin Park world:

We’ve officially moved our band’s Twitter presence over to: http://twitter.com/linkinpark.  Make sure to follow there (and http://twitter.com/m_shinoda; yes, it’s true, I occasionally tweet).

We just surpassed 4 million fans on Facebook.  Pretty awesome. If you haven’t become a fan of us on FB yet, now’s the time…http://www.facebook.com/linkinPark.

And lastly, there was a great Washington Post piece about our game.  Here’s a bit of the story:

“DENVER (Billboard) – When avid technophile Mike Shinoda was approached backstage last year with an idea for developing a Linkin Park iPhone game, the band’s co-frontman knew he wanted it to be more than just another run-of-the-mill artist app.

“It was important to us to do something creative and fun,” he says. “We didn’t want to throw a bunch of songs at the game, slap our name on it and cash the checks.”
The result is “8-Bit Rebellion,” a soon-to-be-released iPhone game with an iPad version on the way. Whereas most artist-branded games tend to be rhythm-based, “8-Bit Rebellion” is an action game that has users fighting enemies alongside members of the band. The soundtrack features several Linkin Park hits in both standard and 8-bit fidelity, plus an exclusive track, “Blackbirds,” for fans who complete the game.
But according to Maryanna Donaldson, creative director of the game’s developer, Artificial Life, the real innovation was the degree to which Linkin Park was involved. Each band member helped design a different “district” in which the game takes place, personalized to his individual interests. Shinoda designed the members’ avatars and edited every line of dialogue. The process wound up taking the better part of a year, but Donaldson says the result sets a new bar for artist-branded apps.

1. aravind221 on July 15, 2010 at 8:35 pm

the name Lp is enough to get the fans to get in mike!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and if there is one more new MS | DC remix shoes or coming up itz gonna be solid 20 , 000 in one day🙂

2. sagback on July 15, 2010 at 3:33 pm

I think you are unique!!! you said “the management decides where we tour” I think …especially you are single-minded person…….you always know what you want !!! which countries do you want to tour ? I wanna learn this … your manager is working badly because you tour the same place everytime!! metallica comes …but you dont why ? you’ve done lots of things better than metallica? surprise me! and come to turkey or go germany everyear!!! you’ve been to turkey only one time !!! damnnn!

3. Carol on June 2, 2010 at 6:41 pm

I’m following, I admire most of your talent Michael Kenji Shinoda
    simply amazing!

4. manpreet on April 30, 2010 at 8:05 am

hie mike… i’ve a complaint… whenever i post any comment on your blog & check it out afterwards…. i don’t get my cooments….:( i want u to reply me…. plzzzzzz

5. nick gabriela on April 20, 2010 at 11:36 am

follow me Mike http://twitter.com/nickgabriela I am a big fan here in Brazil kiss.

6. Black Fire Devil on April 18, 2010 at 9:30 am

i did not think u would ever tweet, even occasionally, after that “war” between u and pheonix on twitter. in other words, I AM ASHAMED OF YOU!(LOL). i really wanna play the game. is there an exact date yet of when it’s coming out?

7. Lena on April 17, 2010 at 5:27 pm

That it is possible to tell…. Super.

8. Ryan on April 17, 2010 at 2:39 pm

To hear news about the Linkin Park album coming out in 2010 go to this fan page!

9. Poushali on April 15, 2010 at 9:32 pm

Obviously.. LP will have more than 4 billion fans.. cuz WE LOVE LP.. (=

10. sena on April 15, 2010 at 6:40 am

4 million facebook fans!!!! It’s incredible.Congratulations,you’re wonderful.
    I LOVE LP

11. Lupita Silva on April 14, 2010 at 5:37 pm

It’s Funny🙂 Bit I Need A iphone hahaha😉 well done mike!😉

12. ammy aybar on April 14, 2010 at 11:53 am

i like it!!

13. StrangeGirl1 on April 14, 2010 at 10:04 am

Oh no…you tweet now too?! Ugh Mike you’ve crossed over to the dark side…

14. Austin Wallick on April 13, 2010 at 4:49 pm

Now honestly, in the case of this “Zen” guy, what kind of loser searches up & then goes to the blog of the front-man of a band to say the band sucks? What an idiot. Linkin Park is the greatest band ever, period.

15. Aud on April 13, 2010 at 4:39 pm

Hey Mike, have you heard about Wilco’s Solid Sound Festival in Massachusetts? It would be so cool if LP did something like that! (especially in Mass.. HINTHINT ;]) hahaha just kidding, you guys do your own thing! But I thought this was really cool. My family’s going, but I’m holding out for an LP concert :]
    Aud<3

16. Morinoajin on April 13, 2010 at 11:25 am

Who the hell is Zen?! Shoo off man

17. Josephbenny98 on April 13, 2010 at 9:40 am

Hey zen,f**k off from here…dont act like a 12year old kid..

18. Zen on April 13, 2010 at 9:13 am

LINKIN PARK SUCKS PERIOD SHUT UP LOSERS.

19. Ben Moon on April 13, 2010 at 7:10 am

hey mike, you do know that this is probrably gonna be quite revolutionary to entertainment, eh? the only other band i know who has done this is nine inch nails

20. alithowl on April 13, 2010 at 6:46 am

*_* I WANT AN IPHONE =/ btw, LP PWNZ 4EVA :DDD

21. zahra on April 13, 2010 at 12:04 am

shutup zen!
    a

22. Josephbenny98 on April 12, 2010 at 11:10 pm

Yup i agree with RV…WE ALL FANS BELIEVE IN U GUYS THAT THE NEW ALBUM WILL BE MUCH BETTER THAN THE PREVIOUS 3 ALBUMS..TAKE CARE GUYS..BEST OF LUCK!!!!

23. RV on April 12, 2010 at 8:45 pm

[[Haha, Mike don’t listen to the “Zen” dude, I’m 20yr old male and I’m always here in your blog/lp.com. I support the idea that you guys should take as much time as needed for this album, but if you guys increase the waiting time, expectations will grow. I know you guys will make this album as classic as the previous albums and will not turn into a mainstream band as many bands have become. I HAVE FAITH IN YOU GUYS! btw, it would be interesting if you guys do something with GAGA lol. Take care dude.]]

24. Gloria on April 12, 2010 at 7:59 pm

You guys can finally add “Best Game App” to resume when 8-Bit releases. I was a bit disappointed when the zombie apocalypse was not a theme in the game because it would’ve been something completely random for LP (since you guys are pretty random and awesome at the same time. All I have to ask is: Is there anything else you guys haven’t touched upon yet to guarantee your status in world domination?

25. mayra on April 12, 2010 at 6:22 pm

because when I do not comment
    always respond!!
    I hope you read this you see
    even if this review!
    because it gives me the impression
    you have not read any!

26. Ellz on April 12, 2010 at 5:09 pm

I gotta tell ya. I just finished watching the band’s ustream and can’t believe that 10 minutes went by without a sensible question asked. Back in 2000 when I first started listening to LP, I would have gone to extreme measures to be able to video chat with with you guys and ask you questions about a day in your life, inspirations, your art, the bands none-profit organizations and what updates are going on. Silly kids. Such a golden opportunity!!!! O.k That’s that. I’m no longer mad and you kids. Have fun

27. Jordan on April 12, 2010 at 4:44 pm

Wow I’ve been following Muse, Phoenix, Chester, and a ton of youtube celebrities on Twitter but not LP? (or you)
    What was I thinking?
    Haha I’m a follower now =D

28. zane on April 12, 2010 at 3:53 pm

hey mike, i know this is quite a bit for me to ask. But i truly believe that you need to tube this video and listen to this remake of blackbirds. you’ve heard of Xefuzion from new divide, and he’s done even better this time. Now i have nothing to do with Xefuzion, I am simply passing on what i’ve heard. Thanks!

p.s. go for version 2

29. Sam on April 12, 2010 at 2:29 pm

this is part of the reason i love you guys so much🙂 keep it up!!!!

30. linkinparkbelgiummanager on April 12, 2010 at 12:34 pm

The linkin park twitter is following me to!! The firstperson in the list, yeah… That’s e!!:d i can’t wait for the 8-bit rebellion game! Actually I cant wait for the new song!! i bought an iphone specially for playing the game and then get the song!! it’s all for the song!!:p Greetz, Lode

31. Janeth on April 12, 2010 at 12:00 pm

hi mike I love linking park and all the Mexicans we would like to come to Mexico because there are not but it would be fantastic, we wait.

32. Fatima on April 12, 2010 at 11:58 am

that’s all great! you guys rock, congrats!! =]:P

33. Caitlin on April 12, 2010 at 11:55 am

I know a lot of people say this, but it’s just true: you guys rock.
    I mean it.

34. CurlyLp on April 12, 2010 at 10:58 am

So cool 4 million fans on Facebook!!😀😀 I’m really anxious and excited about this game. I will buy an iPod Touch soon (i hope) and then i can play 8 Bit Rebellion. I’ts a great idea do this game.🙂

35. Farrah Mae on April 12, 2010 at 10:54 am

im soo happy for you guys! congratulations! <33

36. Alex on April 12, 2010 at 10:41 am

EEEEEEVIL guy D: why do I have to finish it to hear the song?! ç___ç

37. Morinoajin on April 12, 2010 at 10:14 am

Pretty Awesome! Can’t wait for the game! I’m sorry but how is Joe doing? I haven’t heard anything from him at ALL😦 wish he had an awesome blog like you😛

38. Susie on April 12, 2010 at 10:04 am

I promise I’m tryning to add Linkin Park to my Facebook with diligence! Congrats on hitting 4 mil! Total global cyber domination!😉 I can’t wait to get 8 BR on my iPod! I set aside all $ 7.04 in my iTunes bank acct. Big bucks huh? The game will be so worth it! Thanks for the 411 Mike!🙂 p.s. R u guys doing the hula in the game? Haha😉

39. Calliope on April 12, 2010 at 9:51 am

That was indeed a great story from Washington Post! And the fact that each one of you took part in the design makes it unique! This game will go down in history!

40. EvoOba on April 12, 2010 at 9:42 am

Yayy! 4 million fans! Awesome😀 I read that article a while back…it’s pretty cool! I cant wait till the game comes out^^ 14 days left…Speaking of 8 Bit Rebellion check this out…I drew it yesterday. It includes some of your awesome little skullies, cross bones (which I inspired by your wife, yes your wife! Her new book’s title to be exact) and some 8 bit goodness🙂 I hope you like it^^

!http://evooba.deviantart.com/art/Cross-Bones-160360572!

41. Kyle Sullivan on April 12, 2010 at 9:17 am

Sweetums! I’m personally excited about the game. I can’t wait to hear the exclusive track. Rock Out!

42. linkinparkette on April 12, 2010 at 8:53 am

whoa really 4 million lp bunnies.. thats alot.. i tried the who facebook.. for 10 seconds.. that was the most confusing 10 seconds ever.. its not like mespace.😦
    -.- yes i said mespace

43. KARYN on April 12, 2010 at 8:47 am

i have to agree with zen to some extent. you guys have been fading away as a band lately. your fourth album better be good, mike. or else your dwindling fanbase will completely disappear. xo

44. Aditya_the_warrior_within on April 12, 2010 at 8:38 am

Congratulations🙂
    waiting eagerly for the game and especially for the new album🙂
    good luck

45. Valery on April 12, 2010 at 8:35 am

Hey, it’s cool=)))
    4 million fans… Great=))) LP – the best=)

46. lis on April 12, 2010 at 8:29 am

hi mike!! i`m still playing mario bross. arcanoid. battle city.poyaan. etc etc-
    that games are the invention of the world…
    it`s just awesome…. go! FAMILY GAME!!!! I JUST ADORE THE “FAMILY GAME”!!!!

47. Niloufar on April 12, 2010 at 8:14 am

Very cool Mike, congrates, Linkin Park just keeps getting better and more creative, Rock on🙂

48. Gosia "Margaret" Pyrek Poland Big Fan But Young on April 12, 2010 at 8:12 am

Great Mike🙂 You’re awsome😉 Number one – LP RLZ !🙂 x3
    4 million fans on Facebook – that’s great😉

I think that you heard that in Poland (my country) is a huge tragedy !😦
    10.04 In Rusia (in detail in Smolensk ariport) crashed a plane😦 In deck that plane was our president Lech Kaczynski (with his wife Maria), a lot of Polish important politician, commanders (for example colorss’ commanders) and many important persons ! And they all DIE ! [*] 96 people !😦

So if you aren’t uncaring show WORLD that you care about Poland !🙂
    Poland loves you ! Especially Me !
    Greetings from POLAND which is in mourning.
    Margaret❤

49. ThE BlaCK HaWK on April 12, 2010 at 8:09 am

Damn, that review was nice!

You know what Mike, the interesting thing about this game for me, besides all of the creativity in the graphic design and music in the game, is the interesting story of the game, I can kinda relate it with what’s going on right now in the real world, and I’m sure you guys have sketched those intentionally. that’s great, good job!

50. Whitney on April 12, 2010 at 7:52 am

Hey Mike,

Not sure if you’re a Dr. Horrible fan, but I thought you might like this 8-Bit videogame version.

51. komornik10 on April 12, 2010 at 7:50 am

@zen
    man… just leave… -.-

52. Natasha Lopez de Arenosa on April 12, 2010 at 7:47 am

First- “Zen,” if you don’t like Linkin Park, then why are you on his blog? Grow up.

Second- congratulations on the game, Mike! Yes, it probably made you guys push the release date for the album more, but it just means it’ll be that much better…. You guys put effort into everything, with this article piece being proof, so patiently- but anxiously!- my friends and I will be waiting for both the game and album to release!🙂

Take care!

53. vickyLP on April 12, 2010 at 7:45 am

when he says “The process wound up taking the better part of a year, but Donaldson says the result sets a new bar for artist-branded apps.” he is totally right…i show the review of the game to my uncle who has to do with pc games and etc he was totally ipressed…more tha impressed…shocked actually…u should have seen his face! haha

54. Zen on April 12, 2010 at 7:24 am

Hey Mike, aren’t you ashamed of the fact that your fanbase consists entirely of 12-year-old girls?

• M Shinoda on April 12, 2010 at 2:13 pm

I had no idea you were a 12 year old girl.

55. Super_Nani on April 12, 2010 at 7:05 am

it´s cool that you guys are so active in the networks.
    I be a fan of all that.
    The blog posts that you made there are very interesting.
    I hope it go on so.🙂😀

56. Alexandra Nofi on April 12, 2010 at 6:55 am

I’ve became a fan of the LPFB page, like, a year ago, lol. Congrats on reaching the 4 million mark. And lol, I never thought you would actually use the word “tweet”. Please don’t go to the dark side, I know I’m guilty of twittering now and then, but my side has BETTER cookies!

Holy crap, not only were you mentioned in the Washington Post, but they said something really nice. Awesome-ness to the max! And it’s cool that you actually worked on the game, rather than just slapped your name on it, which is what most celebrities do.

57. maria on April 12, 2010 at 6:49 am

i actually made a facebook acount so you could have more fans😀 congrats!

58. Sarah A. on April 12, 2010 at 6:22 am

HA that’sawesome! Linkin Park dominates!!

59. komornik10 on April 12, 2010 at 5:43 am

Tragedy in Poland [*] x2😦

60. Theresa on April 12, 2010 at 5:36 am

Wow 4 Million Fans on FB. That’s awesome🙂 By the way I’m one of them :p
    I hope that Blackbirds come out as a single or on the CD, because I don’t have an IPod Touch and the seven seconds of the song are great. I love that song. :p Maybe I buy one, but at the moment I haven’t enough money😀
    I think the Game will be great😉 So I say “Good Job, Guys.” ;D
    Maybe you come next year to Germany? That would be veeeeery awesome, because I want to see you live! This would be my first time😀
    Love you guys. :-*

PS: Sorry for my english😉

61. SteppinRazor on April 12, 2010 at 5:21 am

And this is why we love Linkin Park so much. You guys actually care!

62. simplistic86 on April 12, 2010 at 5:03 am

mike…4 million fans bravo… =) proud to be one… I hope the game will be released on itunes switzerland… =) cant wait for blackbirds…

63. JanV on April 12, 2010 at 4:57 am

Hey Mike~!
    4 million fans! yayy!!!😀 i’m proud 2 b 1 of dem😉
    i think it ws a nice idea 2 change d twitter acc name; otherwise many fans thought that acc’s only 4 LPU members🙂
    nice article! its such things that make me proud 2 b a fan😀 keep up d good (sry, GR8) work🙂
    thanx 4 everything~!

64. AlineB on April 12, 2010 at 4:53 am

I can’t wait for the game!!!
    but first I have to buy an IPod Touch😉
    awesome…
    thanx for the information, Mike

65. All on April 12, 2010 at 4:45 am

Great😀

66. TheGlueLpFan on April 12, 2010 at 4:41 am

I don’t have a facebook yet but I might create one just to follow you there:)Congrats on the 4 million:)I read the piece of 8BR yesterday…I also read an article in Kerrang I think about the game and music apps in general and I’m surprised to see that labels actually try to get into the apps bussiness since they’re so…protective about their artists.Well it’s a good thing anyway.I missed another lpu chat today and I’m pissed off at myself…but I was too damn tired to stay on the computer.I hope I’ll catch you next time.

67. burningdaylight on April 12, 2010 at 4:33 am

score x 1,000,000!!!! 8-bit is going to be epic, not gonna lie. could you give us more previews of the villains/bosses in the game like you did with pixie? i’m betting some LP fans will want to cosplay them for upcoming cons (i.e. comic-con)…

68. orion wong on April 12, 2010 at 4:31 am

@ZEN I strongly DISagree you, who cares of what updates? its all about quality and creativity. and i DO think linkin park has it own style and i love them! if u dun like lp, then juz dun listen to them! dun post rude comment on mike’s blog!

69. handar on April 12, 2010 at 4:19 am

congratulation for the facebook thing mike and I can’t wait for the game🙂 but unfortunately i don’t have any iPhone or iTouch, hope it will be released on other platforms🙂 . by the way please come to Indonesia, there are many Linkin Park’s fans there that want to see you guys play in Jakarta

70. PMA_9 on April 12, 2010 at 4:16 am

Tragedy in Poland… [*]

71. Kaochan on April 12, 2010 at 4:10 am

Hope we can purchase the game outside the U.S…… My iTouch is waiting for “8-Bit Rebellion”!!

72. Sicillia on April 12, 2010 at 4:04 am

Linkinpark ,Come to jakarta,Indonesia please😥 .million of LP’s fans in Indonesia wait you to come and play in here like 6yrs ago reply pleaseee

73. Zen on April 12, 2010 at 4:02 am

Well, Mike, I’m sorry to say that you and your band are terribly out-dated.

Wake up, Mike. It’s not ’03 anymore.

74. chester7890 on April 12, 2010 at 3:53 am

🙂

75. swati on April 12, 2010 at 3:27 am

COOOOOL🙂😉

76. Julian on April 12, 2010 at 2:14 am

Mike, I suggest you adding an ‘edit’ button to the site, so that we can edit our comments and correct typing mistakes, hopefully before you see them.
    Also, one random question: When you listen to your music drive, do you sometimes get surprised like ‘Hey, I don’t remember I’ve made this demo?’, or you simply have a clear memory of all the demos you’ve made?
    Can’t wait for the game to come out, I’m definitely gonna tell my friends to play it, as I don’t have an ipod…

77. A. on April 12, 2010 at 2:01 am

I’m just happy for your band, for the 4 millions fans on FB & of course for the band’s presence on Twitter.
    I hope, I could have in the future an Iphone, because I want to play at this game !
    It’s a good project😉
    Have a good day mister Shinoda!

78. scott360 on April 12, 2010 at 1:39 am

game should be good! now just need to get an iphone…

oh! I read somewhere Blackbirds will be released on itunes, any plans for the 8bit versions to be released?

79. Langinger on April 12, 2010 at 1:04 am

And here is a Link to a funny FlashMovie concerning the issue of Hi-Res and Low-Res like in 8-bit Rebellion!😉

(its in german language)

80. KATHYxx on April 12, 2010 at 12:37 am

here’s to hopin that the game is gonna rock and change perception on licensed games lol

81. EpicLinkPark on April 12, 2010 at 12:30 am

This is one of the reasons why I truly get inspired by Linkin Park. You guys are really talented and you guys should tour with MUSE sometime that be awesome. Later Mike.

82. lpfmfan on April 12, 2010 at 12:26 am

Congrats on the 4 million fans! By the looks of it, it seems you search for your own Linkin Park news, haha. Glad chatting to you on the LPU, Mike. It made my dad when you said “Howdy” I’m from Texas so you can see why it made my day ;]
    *sorry for the long username on the LPU* lol -_-

83. abby on April 12, 2010 at 12:22 am

woah! this is so cool! and yeah i read that article and posted it in MSC..🙂

let’s chat on UStream please..

84. pepper on April 11, 2010 at 11:51 pm

Cool! Good review mike, its not much of a surprise though. We’re used to LP setting the bar high🙂

85. joannasasanka_poland on April 11, 2010 at 11:31 pm

niceeee:)
    4 million fans:)
    but Mike u should have ur own facebook account;]
    and the idea of making a game for ur fans was great:*

86. Josephbenny98 on April 11, 2010 at 11:13 pm

Cool…tats why i love linkin park..u guys ROCK!!!!!!!!!!

87. Lukas on April 11, 2010 at 11:11 pm

I bet that other bands will copy the idea oh this game🙂