NEW ALBUM, “A THOUSAND SUNS,” OUT SEPTEMBER 14

July 8, 2010

No puzzles or hidden messages with this one. We’re excited to finally announce that our new album, A THOUSAND SUNS, will be released on September 14th.

The lead single for the album is called “The Catalyst.” It will be released on August 2nd.

Beginning tomorrow, July 9th, we’re teaming up with MySpace for “Linkin Park, Featuring You,” a contest which gives you the one-of-a-kind opportunity to be on our new album. We’ll be giving you some audio from “The Catalyst,” and you get to take it from there; you can remix the parts, write something over them, or mute stuff and write something totally new. We may choose a remix of the song, and put it on the album…or, we may choose an amazing keyboardist, string quartet, guitarist, percussion group, or other musician, and invite them into the studio to play on one of our songs. No matter what instrument you play, you can win. We’re open to anything good. All we ask is that you include any audible portion of any one of our stems in your submission.

Once you submit, the community (that’s you) will vote, and the most popular stuff will rise to the top. Then, my bandmates and I will comb through the submissions, choose one winner, and they will be included on our album, A THOUSAND SUNS. Check out http://www.myspace.com/linkinpark for contest details.

I think I’ve said enough for now. Thanks for your continued support. We’ve got more announcements coming, so keep checking LinkinPark.com for updates.

-m

1. alexisascanoa on July 19, 2010 at 12:06 pm

Hi mike I can’t believe it. I’m talking to you, is amazaing, well please check my remix is my only and fisrt remix of my life I hope you enjoy it thanks http://www.indabamusic.com/submissions/show/22695

2. andizzle72 on July 17, 2010 at 2:46 pm

Hey mike, my username was Andizzle but wordpress ate my account… anyway just wondering about the album title. I’ve seen the “explanations” above but am still curious as “A Thousand Suns” is quite a common phrase i.e. the book A Thousand Splendid Suns by Khaled Hosseini, the album A Hundred Million Suns from Snow Patrol. granted all these are variations but they do share the same root words. So how are you and LP going to make your use of “suns” differ from the others???

3. pokesuke7 on July 14, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Cant wait for the new album….. when will be avaliable for pre-order? can wait for the catalyst and the videos as well… great job =]

4. bullan189 on July 12, 2010 at 4:51 am

Yey!! What a perfect birthday gift, I´m 17 August 2nd!❤

5. bigbadxandro on July 11, 2010 at 5:33 am

Wow! I cant wait to have my own copy of your new album!! YeHey!!!

6. sagback on July 10, 2010 at 5:01 pm

this is my DECEMBER… THAT İS YOUR SEPTEMBER😀 hahaaaahahha😉 good job guys😀

7. lplovei on July 10, 2010 at 6:07 am

Its so awesome to hear this.I❤ you Mike.

8. ammya on July 9, 2010 at 3:53 pm

OMG!!! Dominican Republic can particip in this contest??

9. nogodu28 on July 9, 2010 at 3:48 pm

European countries can they participate in the contest?

10. todraw on July 9, 2010 at 2:40 pm

US only…. damn, mike and the other lp guys can’t you get kind of a international prize maybe a cd of the new album dun know a t-shirt just somethin so we can compete in that contest too……..

11. zr0th on July 9, 2010 at 11:53 am

Hey Mike, who did the promo portraits for A Thousand Suns? It’s a really interesting style and I’d really like to know who made ’em. Thanks!

12. mikeandrade52 on July 9, 2010 at 11:11 am

Is that seriously the lyrics to ‘The Catalyst’? I mean the drums and the piano sound cool, it’s just that the vocals sound really weird. I know it’s just a snippet and not the whole song but even from that I mean c’mon? seriously? It has WAY too much of a british/scottish accent. Doesn’t sound anything like LINKIN PARK.

13. saud173 on July 9, 2010 at 10:04 am

IM Very Confused looking through the official rules i have a couple of questions.
    1.) Are we allowed to use our own personal (D.A.W)?
    2.) What is the music mix application? i cant seem to find it
    (forgive me i dont use myspace i just made an account.)

14. gaganlp on July 9, 2010 at 9:38 am

omg omg so excited cant wait for A THOUSAND SUNS AND CATALYST nice tittle ..congrats LP FOREVER

15. rachels7 on July 9, 2010 at 9:34 am

16. shinodachaz on July 9, 2010 at 8:08 am

these lyrics touches my soul…. you guys are doing a great job… I knew there comes something bigger and better than every before but this one is unbelivable… can’t wait for the 8.2, the 9.10 and of course the 10.20🙂

17. lisalovelp on July 9, 2010 at 7:09 am

OMG😄😄😄 !! It’s out a week after my 17th😀 I CAN’T WAIT!!! Stupid question I know, but will you be playing stuff from A Thousand Suns on tour ?? See you November 4th in Manchester!!!! CAN’T WAIT !!!!!!!!!!!!!😄 you rock !!!😄😄

18. dsinsomniatic on July 9, 2010 at 6:50 am

fantastic news ! I can’t wait ’till 14th September ! I’m sure that the new album will be awesome !!!😀

19. abbykulyde on July 9, 2010 at 6:29 am

😀 September 14! yay!😀

20. chilibilly18 on July 9, 2010 at 6:20 am

21. shinigamipwn on July 9, 2010 at 5:59 am

Finally…you stopped diggin’ meteoras outta Chester’s EER long enough to finish it!

22. Hell_enia on July 9, 2010 at 5:20 am

What in the f word is WordPress?
    I can’t seem to understand the usage of it..
    Is it clearly pointless for most of us?

23. slowlearner32 on July 9, 2010 at 5:12 am

Amazing idea! I just want to say this…..never back to Hybrid Theory, Meteora,and Minutes To Midnight,but Take Us To The New World!!!

24. souneik on July 9, 2010 at 5:09 am

Its 9am. I still have my sleepy eyes. I woke up to one of my cats was trying to hump me. Not a good thing when your allergic and human….sorta.
    Can I play?

25. 28thart on July 9, 2010 at 2:54 am

Hey Mike, finaly somthing that i was waiting for, actualy the ALL LP fan waiting for, im so excited to listen to the track as i do for the New album, guys you are doing great stuff , wish the next album kick out the outSideWorld, and show to all Mofo’s WHO LINKIN PARK !

I made an ART for the upcoming signle on it the Title of the Album, as im a beginner Graphic Designer, hope you like it !
    Right Click & Save As:

Best Regards, Mohamed.

26. dorito82 on July 9, 2010 at 1:34 am

can’t wait for the new album, Mike! Something to look forward to in September!

27. alust86 on July 8, 2010 at 11:41 pm

Well done lads.. Really looking forward to the new album in September😀

28. eejhei on July 8, 2010 at 11:33 pm

WE GOTTA MAKE THIS THE NO.1 ALBUM FOR 2010!! LETS ALL PROMOTE THIS ERRYWHERE SPECIALLY ON YOUTUBE!!

29. hausofpebbles on July 8, 2010 at 11:32 pm

where’s my Gaga outfit pic Mike?

30. thepixelpod on July 8, 2010 at 10:46 pm

OMG😀
    the Catalyst

I hope the song has rap of mike ;3

31. betty108 on July 8, 2010 at 10:15 pm

New Linkin Park website, Mike?
    It looks really cool! Is that a new logo?

32. anaphx on July 8, 2010 at 9:46 pm

awesome news! and it seems like you are realizing my wish:

featuring us fans on your new album!

Im a bassist..and thats all. I can create any parts on the bass but I believe it wont be good enough for you….my talent lies in GRAPHIC DESIGN..

so is there any chance for us others to be featured in the design of the album?

x ana

33. zzaacc on July 8, 2010 at 9:23 pm

a few things:

any chance u could post album art?

will there be any guest artists?

i think you should post a live freestyle on youtube to uhh….increase…sales?🙂

34. nillp on July 8, 2010 at 8:40 pm

cannot wait to have it in my hands.. *-*
    i’m really excited waiting.. there’s only 67 days missing!
    anyway.. have a great day and hope to see the album cover soon!
    xoxo nillp

35. pr3mium on July 8, 2010 at 7:23 pm

I can not wait! I’m going to pre-order from i-tunes as soon as possible.

Also, please book some of your tour in the US, preferably in NJ. 😀

36. Smartflight on July 8, 2010 at 7:13 pm

The Sweetest BlackHole
    Yeah..I mean..heartattack!😄
    Amazing man. How many singles? Just one or two?

37. zoelkg on July 8, 2010 at 7:06 pm

i cant wait!!!!!!!!!!
    come to argentinaaaa tucuman!!!!please!!!!!
    love you guys!!

38. mnklp on July 8, 2010 at 5:44 pm

Estoy ansiosa por escuchar el new album ♫ ♫
    LP♥

39. hulasusieq on July 8, 2010 at 5:18 pm

Aww, no more puzzles or hidden messages? Just when my brain stopped twitching.🙂 It’s great how you got the whole LP community to think & play nicely. So thanks for the mind-boggling puzzles! Contest? There are a lot of very talented individuals in the LP community. I’m sure it will be a difficult task to chose just one! Pretty cool to be giving them a chance of a lifetime to be part of your album, truly “EPICNESS”! Unfortunately, I can’t sing (off key, pitchy, hits notes that shatter glass) nor do I play an instrument EXCEPT an air piano! Does that count? I play much like Chopin. Hah! :)Congrats on your new album! It’s gonna rock to infinity & beyond!

40. kenvy on July 8, 2010 at 4:57 pm

That would be pretty cool if they released it on September 13 instead😀

41. lpsweetguitar on July 8, 2010 at 4:42 pm

sweet thats gonna be epic ill give the contest a chance, ill try my best, but there is very little chance id win..lol
    Can we add more than 1 instrument like guitar piano and vocals for example?
    or just our main instrument?😀 cant wait for the new album xD

42. orionwong on July 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm

*plause*Exclusive! Only LP would have some great thing like this. I’m so proud to be a LP fan! ^^

43. chester003 on July 8, 2010 at 4:19 pm

speechless… another epic history….

44. epiclinkinpark on July 8, 2010 at 4:02 pm

Wow! This is so Epic! I cannot wait and the contest is VERY cool!

45. tiuwtiuwi1775 on July 8, 2010 at 3:54 pm

You make me got the sweetest heart attack!!! Freakin’ Awesome!!😀

46. jenjithesnail on July 8, 2010 at 3:51 pm

Congratulations! Eeee! ^3^ I’m so happy now! This has so made my day… at 00:50 am xD

Thank you so much!😀

47. bljdavidson on July 8, 2010 at 3:27 pm

mike??? y does myspace say tht ur the lead singer of the band?? chester hasnt left has he? we havnt herd anythin from him for a while now…

48. aberu on July 8, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Cool. Finally, new music, new style. Mike, for when it will be provided for pre-sale of A Thousand Suns?

49. ellzworth on July 8, 2010 at 2:54 pm

Well done. Congrats. Can’t wait to hear it.

Would be cool to coincide this contest with a fan-made video for us graphics and video guys who aren’t too grand with a musical instrument🙂

50. somebody15 on July 8, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Awesome😀
    My b-day is on september 18th🙂
    The best present of all the time! xD

51. bahrinb on July 8, 2010 at 2:22 pm

14 SEPTEMBER ON MY BIRTH DAY,WAWWWWWWWWWW
    LINKIN PARK ALGERIA

52. mauriceloeff on July 8, 2010 at 2:08 pm

Wow Mike thats some heavy sht!!!

I’m going to give everything I’ve got to get on the album! I know it won’t be enough but I will give it my best :O

And this is great news anyway!!!

53. Beavis on July 8, 2010 at 2:04 pm

Great news, Mike! You said that the new album is different but I guess The Catalyst is not going to show us the brand new sound of the album just like What I’ve Done sounds more like Meteora stuff instead of MTM stuff.

Are going to tell/show us something about the artwork? I’d like to see the Street Soldier once again only with more scars I guess!

54. andreas215 on July 8, 2010 at 1:59 pm

Great news!!
    Will there be a new logo Mike?

55. mercenary18 on July 8, 2010 at 1:57 pm

Very exciting! i cant wait! =D
    i only play piano but i doubt its good enough to make the cut.
    curious to hear the submissions we vote on though =)
    Dang LP is so awesome! what other band is THIS connected and interactive?? =)

56. whitepegacorn on July 8, 2010 at 1:49 pm

2010 is shaping up to be a good year! Can’t wait, thanks Mike and Co.

57. alexrednex on July 8, 2010 at 1:40 pm

This is AWESOME!!! Im not good at mixing, but i can play the Guitar😛

I will get my friend to mix for you, i think he can do a decent try to say atleast… Thousand suns…. Sounds great… It remind me of MTM, not so much HT or M

58. haw13200 on July 8, 2010 at 1:35 pm

Sooo excited! Can’t wait to hear it!!!
    Much love,
    Sarah =]

59. bananagabbana on July 8, 2010 at 1:27 pm

cant wait for the catalyst!!!!!!

60. theyactuallymakemylifebetter on July 8, 2010 at 1:24 pm

That’s awesome Mike… We (your fans) are really really excited about that. I think I’m gonna start a countdown. This made my day, week, month, year. OMG I’m really happy guys. Thanks for the greatest new. When are you gonna be in the chat? Linkin Park is life😀

61. lis0406 on July 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! COOL!!!!! que COPADO! great!!!!!!!!!
    WE LOVE YOU SO MUCH GUYS!!!

62. jannipiiin on July 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

YAY!!😀 I can’t wait!

Also can’t wait to October 30th either!! Looking forward to see you live again! For the 3rd time!😀 Love you LP!❤

63. gnaa93 on July 8, 2010 at 1:01 pm

AWESOME!!! this is the best B-DAY GIFT!! =D CANT WAIT !!!!

thnks for the news Mike😉

64. justbiteme9 on July 8, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Yey!!! I’m so happy… sadly I have no musical skills, but good luck everyone.

65. squide on July 8, 2010 at 12:53 pm

Made a good mood before sleeping😀

66. euanto on July 8, 2010 at 12:40 pm

@timetoswitch im sure u meant latest not last😀 i mean @mike u will still make a 5th album sometime in the future ? doesnt matter focusing on this cant wait xD

67. alvin121290 on July 8, 2010 at 12:33 pm

I hope the album doesn’t sound like Minutes to Midnight, I hope Linkin Park gets back to roots on this album, which truly made them successful on the 1st place. I think if Minutes to Midnight was their 1st album, they would’ve not been as successful …

68. timetoswitch on July 8, 2010 at 12:25 pm

Mike, I love you guy.
    I imagine myself playing drums with you guys in the studio
    I imagine my name written somewhere on Linkin Park’s last(and best)album (OMFGGGGGGGGGG)

69. nikkiann0100 on July 8, 2010 at 11:49 am

Finally🙂 Cant wait to hear it. I’m sure it will be great as always.

70. cescopa on July 8, 2010 at 11:40 am

Awesome!!! Before that I think, I wanna listen the album Great

71. thegluelpfan on July 8, 2010 at 11:38 am

This is the best news you’ve presented for 2010😀 Finally people won’t ask you when it’s coming out all the time:)I’m super psyched about it and I don’t think I’ll be able to sleep tonight just because I want to hear the pieces of The Catalyst tomorrow:D Anyway I’m not a musician but I’m going to try my best at this contest. Thank you for continuing to make amazing music over the years.I can’t wait to go on another journey with you guys:)And I’m starting to save so I can get a deluxe version of the album or something:)Thank you for the update!

72. David Wood on July 8, 2010 at 11:37 am

YES YES YES!!!!!!!!!!! I AM SO EXCITED, I CAN’T STOP TYPING IN CAPS!!!!!!!!!!! OK, enough caps. Do you guys have any artwork done yet?

73. izabela80 on July 8, 2010 at 11:35 am

2 days after my 30th birthday.. what a gift.. thank you mike <333333333333

74. baz2 on July 8, 2010 at 11:30 am

I am so happy I can’t wait to hear the new single!!!

75. elifdogru on July 8, 2010 at 11:14 am

Yay! Mike, I’m very excited! You guys are awesome!
    Thanks for new album! We love u Mike! We love LP.
    Can’t wait!🙂🙂

76. lpmaster on July 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

OMG! but I want to ask you something mike. We’ll hear YOUR version of the catalyst and the version of us of the catalyst? Or just our version?:/

77. Parker on July 8, 2010 at 11:11 am

Thanks🙂 Can’t wait to hear parts of The Catalyst and the whole album🙂

78. naruchiiii on July 8, 2010 at 11:09 am

This is so awesome!!!!
    cool i´m so happy!! ahh my day is saved!!:D:D

79. evooba on July 8, 2010 at 11:08 am

Can’t freaking wait!!!!!!!!!😀 Thank you much guys! And yeah…the moment it’s out I’ll go buy it for sure! It’s gonna be on iTunes as well right? Because I wanna get it as soon as possible🙂

Thx again for eveything you’ve done for us and for keeping us updated on everything…One more thing: is the myspace contest open to international fans as well?

80. emaivalp on July 8, 2010 at 11:08 am

aaaawwwwwww can’t wait😛
    mike❤

81. argol8489 on July 8, 2010 at 11:07 am

A THOUSAND SUNS…..MIL SOLES…AHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA…INCREIBLE….,MARAVILLOSO….WONDERFUL…
    AHORA ESPERAREMOS ESCUCHAR ESTA NUEVA CREACION…CONCURSOS…SORPRESAS…AHAAAAAA—–EMOCIONANTE….14 DE SEPTIEMBRE.-.-.EMPIESA LA CUENTA REGRESIVA—-

82. janv13 on July 8, 2010 at 11:06 am

Thanks for finally revealing details bout the new record, Mike!😀
    Looks like I’m gonna b busy 4 d next few days tryin 2 remix The Catalyst😉
    Good Luck with the release!
    Btw, can u pls help us LP fans on Twitter make #AThousandSuns & #TheCatalyst TT’s by asking every1 2 RT them??
    Thanx 4 everything~!
    -JanV

83. chazy93 on July 8, 2010 at 11:05 am

ooooooooooooooooooooooo yeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee MI MI MI MIMI MI MIKE SHINOOOOOODAAAA!!!

84. theshinodaprojekt on July 8, 2010 at 10:59 am

GREEEEEEEEEEEATTTTTTTTTT!

85. Michael Gonzalez on July 8, 2010 at 10:59 am

That is totally awesome, Mike!! I am very excited. 2010 is going to be the best year just because of you guys🙂 I am going to participate in the contest just for fun and to see what others come up with.

Oh and BTW, I hope you got my info you asked me for last Monday, Mike.

Please let me know if you got it. And if you actually contact me like you said that would be the very best.

Proof that you replied to me is on my wordpress blog site with it’s own paged titled “Mike Shinoda (Linkin Park) and a picture.

Thanks again.

-Mike

86. Mike Sky on July 8, 2010 at 10:58 am

Awesome!!! Can’t wait to get my hands on new record!

87. rusa162 on July 8, 2010 at 10:57 am

finally its final:D YEAH i still cant believe its happening:D Sorry for my language.

88. fenix2exe on July 8, 2010 at 10:53 am

I knew it like i post on lpundergroundand lp.com the dates of the single and album!!! You make my day and the weeks to come will be long but i know is going to be worth to listen to the new material guys thanks mike you guys are the best tou f****** rock!!! LPrulez!!!

89. Rana LP addicted on July 8, 2010 at 10:52 am

oooh!!! just a day b4 my bday !!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i wanted it to be my bday gift!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!😦 one day is not a problem ! just we want the album !!

90. jagta on July 8, 2010 at 10:50 am

OH. My. God. I. Can’t. Wait. I’m. So. Excited.

WOoOo! Thnks Mike! That’s one hell of a wait.

91. Alexandra Nofi on July 8, 2010 at 10:40 am

It’s a nice idea but, the only thing I have going for me, is singing. I cannot play any instruments (not that I even have any to begin with), and I am very bad at writing lyrics. I know, weird, that a writer is bad at writing lyrics!🙂 Plus, I don’t even think of myself as musician, just a chick who likes to sing a lot. It’s a very exciting contest, and I am looking forward to seeing who will win.

I wonder how many people will use the lyrics from puzzle that revealed The Catalyst… On one hand, if I was the band, I’d like to hear someone else singing those lyrics. On the other hand, I also think it would be a suck up tactic😄

92. meteoradew on July 8, 2010 at 10:38 am

yesssssssss

93. kathyxx on July 8, 2010 at 10:37 am

excuse me for spamming but WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
    Excitement time.

haha you’re like taking a page from the Get Busy Committee, too.

94. lauralexis on July 8, 2010 at 10:36 am

Oh my god !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thanky you linkin park for your amazing music =D

95. kelly jean on July 8, 2010 at 10:34 am