MTV calls A Thousand Suns “Linkin Park’s ‘Kid A’”

September 1, 2010

“According to legend, in August of 2000, a group of clearly terrified Capitol Records executives were outfitted with headphones, loaded into a series of unmarked vans and driven down the Pacific Coast Highway, where they listened to Radiohead’s Kid A for the first time. It was an inspired — not to mention particularly apt — premiere for the album, and though the whole thing is rather apocryphal, it certainly made for nice copy at the time.

I only mention that because in August of 2010, a clearly relaxed Warner Bros. publicist sat me down in her office and allowed me one of the first listens to Linkin Park’s A Thousand Suns. There were no headphones or unmarked vans or winding, windswept vistas — budgetary cuts, one can only assume — just an iced coffee and a notepad, which was sort of a shame, because if ever there was an album that deserves the Radiohead treatment, it’s this one. Since, as you’ll probably discover in the coming weeks, A Thousand Suns is most definitely Linkin Park’s Kid A…completely different from the band’s previous efforts that it will almost certainly stand as the line of demarcation between everything that came before and everything that will come after…”

A big thank you to James Montgomery for the flattering (and ballsy) piece.  Read the whole article here: http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1646930/20100831/linkin_park.jhtml

1. lostsoundwaves on September 5, 2010 at 2:04 am

Hey Mike,
    did you ever listened/got inspired by post-rock bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai? The speech at the beginning and the end of Wretches and Kings and the minimalistic tunes in the new songs remind me of post-rock. Also, the more electronical parts in The Catalyst reminded me of Pendulum’s new album Immersion. Not much, but enough to see similarities.

2. thegluelpfan on September 3, 2010 at 4:01 am

Great article…but like you said I don’t think words can do the justice.We have to hear with our own ears :) Can I ask you to post the lyrics for Wretches and Kings?The song is amazing btw!There isn’t a single detail in it that I don’t like.And the fact that it’s so different from The Catalyst,which I also loved,just shows me that it’s one hell of an album we’re looking at!

3. jigareepdiddy on September 2, 2010 at 9:41 pm

Ridiculous.
    Look, this is annoying.

Better “TRY” not to laugh with those faces. It help.

You can’t see what you can’t see.
    If you know what i mean.

4. markdfarris on September 2, 2010 at 8:54 pm

Wretches and Kings is brilliant! Could not have pulled it off better – you guys are amazing!!!

5. argol8489 on September 2, 2010 at 8:40 pm

brilliant … simply brilliant … the views getting better and better … and when the world heard the new album, know what I can do …. I can not wait to have it in my hands … as you can manage so many good things?. .. mike you are my hero hahaha …

VIVA LINKIN PARK…VIVA MIKE SHINODA

6. camila on September 2, 2010 at 7:54 pm

Mike! se que entiendes un poco de español xD
    les deseo mucha suerte para esta nueva etapa, estoy segura que sera fabuloso, lo que hemos conocido hasta ahora es impresionante, se nota la dedicacion profesionalismo que pusieron en esto. Realmente se merecen todo el exito del mundo. saludos y los esperamos en octubre :D

7. rjcrimzon on September 2, 2010 at 7:22 pm

woah spoiler alerts needed on these articles!! i had to stop reading this one haha! i’ll come back to this after i hear it for myself first

8. noturninbacknow on September 2, 2010 at 6:27 pm

Good read. LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Wretches and Kings!!!!!

9. lplovei on September 2, 2010 at 1:30 pm

That was a good article! The only thing I HATE about is that it got me even more fired up and anxious to hear the new album! haha I feel like i’m about to explode. :P

10. hawklp on September 2, 2010 at 11:20 am

Is this new song “Wretches & Kings” leaked or released??? I have found it but I haven’t listened to it yet, please give us some info on it Mike…I’m sure many fans like me won’t be listening to it if it’s not released officially…
    Thanks!

11. stingerlp on September 2, 2010 at 11:16 am

Mike, can you post the lyrics for “Wretches And Kings”? Please!

12. raulmahshid on September 2, 2010 at 11:15 am

today is jerusalem day.our duty is to protest to zionist regime&protect our oppressed brothers in palestine.it’s the time4all the peaceable from each country&from each religion&from each job to be united against the oppressor.it’s the time2proclaim2God we’re ready2make the justice government&protect savior of the world&tired of oppression.I expect u mike becuse I know u well.thanks.Mahshid

13. linkinladie328 on September 2, 2010 at 10:52 am

OFFICIAL LYRICS TO WRETCHES & KINGS. POST PLEASE? :]

14. Linkin Theorist on September 2, 2010 at 10:25 am

I can’t wait for the 13th to hear all of the songs :)

15. kateeness on September 2, 2010 at 10:19 am

Hm i’m so sad since i hear catalyst and wretches & kings… it’s just too much electro sound, it’s just so unreal and not linkin park how i loved it. so sorry ’bout that.

16. xehpuk on September 2, 2010 at 9:30 am

“Blackout” will definitely be my favorite track off a1k☼. :D
    But it worries me that the album is said not to have a lot of guitar sounds. :/

17. linkinparkforever275 on September 2, 2010 at 9:14 am

ATS i love you :)
    The article rocks!

18. melbapinckney on September 2, 2010 at 8:15 am

You’re right, it’s “ballsy”, but good. On ATS, it sound like you ,Chester, and the rest of LP put a lot of hard work and effort into this CD. Yours and Chester’s lyrics are always strong, explosive, always touch home, and honest. That’s what I love about LP. ATS sound like a really good CD. I CAN’T WAIT!

19. souneik on September 2, 2010 at 7:52 am

Yay ballsy! I knew you guys could do it. (scary voice) Now give it to me so I can suck your powers out of it. Kid A… hmm. Thom Yorke has unrequited love for someone, never got to the who, it didn’t matter…. I just thought about his music and thought….”physical manifestation of heartache”. One has to wonder what it takes to harness something like that. Congratulations, Michjorobrpx!

20. fenix2exe on September 2, 2010 at 7:34 am

they are so many things that happen everyday, hour, minutes and seconds that we ignore, but we can’t ignore, we cannot afford to ignore what surround us, the mistakes we have made, they will always hunt us… politics, religion, every single thing that destroy bridges between us, building rage against each other, to the point that we don’t see with our eyes, our heart, of our judgement but withy rage, anger, hate… so when did we become the beast we was hunting down!!! “A Thousand Suns” -#12 “Iridescent”:”Remember all the sadness and frustration/ And let go.”
    let go before we become the destruction of Us!!!

21. emc2spider on September 2, 2010 at 7:20 am

Wow! You guys must be really proud :) I can’t wait to listen to the new album, really great expectations….
    Cheers from Venezuela!

22. cezar_lp on September 2, 2010 at 5:58 am

yeah!
    This is the ATS’s power!!!!
    I cant wait to hear the whole album!

23. cctjehh on September 2, 2010 at 5:46 am

man I’m so happy I pre-ordered ATS… (:

24. kidadot0 on September 2, 2010 at 4:48 am

i read this yesterday after seeing the link from LP Association and it is an absolutely awesome review/write-up for the album. and from MTV of all media outlets, too.

25. jigareepdiddy on September 2, 2010 at 4:28 am

Easy Mike, easy.

Be behaved, please.

*sign*

26. evooba on September 2, 2010 at 4:18 am

I loved it! What a nice review and how nice of him to say those thing ^^ I can’t wait for the album and I can’t wait to get that e-mail with Wretches And Kings today :D

27. bignaz2009 on September 2, 2010 at 2:24 am

What’s going on mike!! That’s a crazy story about the whole radiohead listen thing. I know your album will be well worth the wait. Its about that time for linkin park to shine again. Most of the music out now has been kinda lackluster and I am being nice about that lol. Anyway can’t wait for the record and I have been a fan for years since hybrid theory.

28. madshell on September 2, 2010 at 1:50 am

ooooooooo, spoilers! me likey! nice article, and yes, a little ballsy xD and now ATS’s nickname is “Suns”? :-D 12 days left…

29. dorito82 on September 2, 2010 at 1:41 am

I keep reading such great articles about the album! I’m excited for it too arrive! definitely gonna be one of the biggest albums of the year!

30. slowlearner32 on September 1, 2010 at 11:06 pm

Yeah, it’s a really nice review! I can’t wait!

31. smoshee on September 1, 2010 at 10:56 pm

Damn! what a review!!!
    the 14 cant come any sooner…

32. Karlyn on September 1, 2010 at 10:48 pm

Simply waiting for it to come.

33. ShinigamiPWN on September 1, 2010 at 10:20 pm

This was a good review. Bitchin’.

Also.. Thanks in advance for Wretches and Kings tomorrow!

My mind was blown by the clip from ESPN. Can’t wait to hear the whole song.

34. mattthesaint on September 1, 2010 at 10:08 pm

awesome I cant wait! 14th? Can’t we hear it early on the 7th at the laser light show in LA?

35. EpicLinkinPark on September 1, 2010 at 10:05 pm

Hey Mike, This was awesome! I enjoyed this. I can’t wait for September 14th! I am stoked! haha. Hope all is well with you and the rest of the guys.
    Best Wishes,
    Kate

36. kathyxx on September 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

Spoiler warnings: i stopped reading half way though.

37. jadesloth on September 1, 2010 at 10:02 pm

What a wonderful review. September 14th can’t come soon enough…

38. helium3 on September 1, 2010 at 10:01 pm

This is certainly a good sign for what we expect of the new album.

39. lpfmfan on September 1, 2010 at 9:50 pm

Loved this, you should tweet to him, haha :)