Wretches And Kings – Lyrics

September 6, 2010

“There’s a time when the operation of the machine becomes so odious, makes you so sick at heart, that you can’t take part; you can’t even passively take part, and you’ve got to put your bodies upon the gears and upon the wheels, upon the levers, upon all the apparatus, and you’ve got to make it stop. And you’ve got to indicate to the people who run it, to the people who own it, that unless you’re free, the machine will be prevented from working at all” -Mario Savio

To save face / how low can you go
Talk a lot of game but yet you don’t know
Static on the way / make us all say whoa
The people up top push the people down low
Get down
And obey every word
Steady getting mine if you haven’t yet heard
Wanna take what I got / don’t be absurd
Don’t fight the power / nobody gets hurt
If you haven’t heard yet then I’m letting you know
There ain’t shit we don’t run when the guns unload
And no one make a move unless my people say so
Got everything outta control
Now everybody go

Steel unload / final blow
We the animals take control
Hear us now / clear and true
Wretches and kings we come for you

So keep pace / how slow can you go
Talk a lot of shit and yet you don’t know
Fire on the way / make you all say whoa
The people up top and the people down low
Get down
And I’m running it like that
The front of the attack is exactly where I’m at
Somewhere in between the kick and the hi hat
The pen and the contract
The pitch and the contact
So get with the combat / I’m letting ’em know
There ain’t shit you can say to make me back down no
So / push the button let the whole thing blow
Spinning everything outta control
Now everybody go

Steel unload / final blow
We the animals take control
Hear us now / clear and true
Wretches and kings we come for you
Steel unload / fire blow
Filthy animals / beat them low
Skin and bone / black and blue
No more this sun shall beat onto you

From the front to the back and the side to side
If you fear what I feel put ’em up real high

1. ladyminor on December 3, 2010 at 10:23 am

Heyy Mike ♥ Wretches & Kings is my favourite song. But I really love you in Fort Minor, because there is more you🙂 I’m your very big fan from Poland ♥ Have a nice day!

2. rose0silver on September 29, 2010 at 7:08 pm

I have to admit the speech clip at the beginning gets me fired up every time I hear the song. Between Mike’s rap and Chester’s lines, there is some strong imagery of a savage uprising and taking control. Love the song, absolutely love the album. When I listen to the CD from beginning to end I can almost see a movie of an apocalyptic story: Calm, then impending danger, the uprisings, the disaster itself, and the aftermath. It’s just brilliant. You can zero in on the individual thoughts flying as the album unfolds and you ask yourself “What would I do if this happened?”

3. anthonykerrigan191 on September 14, 2010 at 9:34 am

the way Mike and Chester rap / sing in this remind me of a “nu-rasta rock” song. It still sounds great nonetheless. There need to be more bands like Linkin Park for sure that try and help people through music and charity. I have seen a lot of videos that have footage (acted and real life) and they sing about problems but LP are one of the only bands that sing about them and then do something about it.

4. itisbasi on September 14, 2010 at 2:43 am

Best Track on the album, great song!

5. ammya on September 10, 2010 at 1:12 pm

i was born; a 2 of december😉

6. fenix2exe on September 9, 2010 at 7:42 am

the lyrics are so freaking sick man!!!

7. darkwai on September 7, 2010 at 4:04 pm

I love this.

8. dianalpfan on September 7, 2010 at 9:54 am

yey.the song is just awesome:)
    thanx for words Mike😀

9. mcshinoda on September 7, 2010 at 7:09 am

woah … thanks Mike😀
    ATS is great i love it ^^
    i can’t wait to get this … ^^

10. jagta on September 7, 2010 at 3:38 am

Do you think is that what we are today? We’re like machines and those Big guys will goin’ to push buttons on our back and do whatever they’ll want us to do. Even if we don’t like it, we have no choice but to follow. I don’t know what I’m talking about.

@DORITO82: YEah! me too when I first hear it and I was like, checking the title if it’s rally the LP song or not…LOL

Anyway Mike…love the song.

Keep Rockin’ LP RULLZ!

11. Aditya_the_warrior_within on September 7, 2010 at 3:19 am

nice! has a great meaning
    plz post more stuff like this

12. lpmaria on September 7, 2010 at 12:59 am

сильная вещь!!!1

13. dorito82 on September 6, 2010 at 9:54 pm

One of the first things that stuck out in my mind when I listened to the track was Rage Against the Machine, though not as heavy sounding… Definitely could be hearing things, but, RATM was the first thing that came to mind lol

14. lpfanfromtashkent on September 6, 2010 at 9:06 pm

Thanks for sharing, Mike!

Actually I like this song much more than “The Catalyst”

Waiting for “A Thousand Suns”🙂

15. widya rahayu on September 6, 2010 at 8:32 pm

I made something about the song, one more work for LP: http://widyarahayu.deviantart.com/art/Wrethces-and-Kings-178374516

16. argol8489 on September 6, 2010 at 8:12 pm

THANK YOU. NOW THAT JUST NEED A LITTLE TO THE SPANISH Translates To better understand lol. THE ADDRESS IS INTERESTING. LIKE ME. I see my PC OTHERWISE Hehehe🙂 saludos mr lp

17. zahralp on September 6, 2010 at 4:59 pm

<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 i can hear the song with out even listening to it!love it!!😀

18. zankokusinner on September 6, 2010 at 4:52 pm

Thanks for the lyrics, Mike! Now I can actually sing along properly, I’m addicted to this song! =]

19. rioichi4 on September 6, 2010 at 4:38 pm

YES! Thank you!!😄

20. milasouza11 on September 6, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Heeey Mikeeeeeeeeee!!
    I heard Wretches & Kings, It’s wonderful song!
    Every new song,every new album, you surprise me.
    When you think, there’s no different beat to be create, you show me another amazing possibilities to do that.
    YOU’RE THE GUY!!
    Maybe for this, my passion for linkin park never ends.
    The lyrics is so surroundings and addictive, that i can’t stop listening them

Congratulations *–*

I’ll wait for you here BRAZIL, OCTOBER 11 — SWU

by:@milasouza11

21. slowlearner32 on September 6, 2010 at 4:07 pm

Thanks, I really love the song.

22. lplovei on September 6, 2010 at 3:36 pm

Thanks Mike. I heard the song and it is amazing! You really cleared some stuff up for me. I got at least 5 lines messed up. I wanna see music video with this song, I really like it, better than The Catalyst even. Mostly because I get to hear you rap!🙂

23. thegluelpfan on September 6, 2010 at 3:12 pm

I’ve actually watched that video before but I didn’t really put much thought into it since now…so anyway I posted a comment a few days ago to post lyrics so yay thank you:) btw I love the song🙂

24. melbapinckney on September 6, 2010 at 2:48 pm

I love the song and the lyrics is awesome! Mike you know how to put rapping back where it should be. That’s way your the best and my favorite. Don’t ever change that.

25. Fetus Borat on September 6, 2010 at 2:30 pm

I love Wretches And Kings, and it just makes me want to hear A Thousand Suns even more. I love the new sound of Linkin Park, i agree with the fact that you shouldn’t stay doing the same thing for too long, especially if you don’t feel comfortable with being classified as nu metal. All of Linkin Park’s newest songs are my favorites, actually. And that’s a good sign, haha.

26. pivotmap on September 6, 2010 at 2:27 pm

I like how all of your new songs are different from each other. very creative. i like it!🙂

27. jozzie8 on September 6, 2010 at 1:24 pm

Hey Mike, loving Wretches & Kings, such a great song. Just a question, I know that A Thousand Suns is released on the 14th, but I’ve heard that it’s coming out on the 10th. Are us lucky fans back in Australia getting the privileged of hearing it first?

28. ShinigamiPWN on September 6, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I kept telling my sister it sounded more like “fear what I feel.”
    Yay, I was right.
    Thanks, yo.

29. danibarquilia on September 6, 2010 at 1:01 pm

Yeah Mike, Wretches & Kings is really a good song! It reminds me of Dedicated (1999) and you can say the old LP screams in this track. Hell yeah! Not just you rapping, but the power too. Awesome. That is what we really love. Now I am just waiting for A Thousand Suns.
    Thank you.
    I hope listen this song live here in Brazil😄
    Peace!!

30. strngbelieve on September 6, 2010 at 1:00 pm

it would be great to have linkin park playin new stuff, cuz no matter what lp creates sounds awesome i enjoy the music much! .. but it would be the greatest to have another linkin park playin old stuff cuz im addicted to their old stuff and have hunger for more cuz theres no other band like that
    you know what its like ->i love disney pixar but the old classic disney <i want back xD sry for stupid comparisonxD
    i support lp cuz they're geniuses🙂

31. lode1989 on September 6, 2010 at 12:44 pm

Right now my favorit is still “the Catalyst” but this track… Is just like: Yeah rap again! Fock yeah! LEt’s go! Yeah! Party! Yeah!! I really hear the Fort Minor energy in here. This is not the typical Hybrid Theory or Meteora Rap.

32. linkinparkforever275 on September 6, 2010 at 12:43 pm

The lyrics are amazing !!

33. lostsoundwaves on September 6, 2010 at 12:40 pm

Hey Mike,
    I’ve posted this before but I just wanted to make sure you read this.

did you ever listened/got inspired by post-rock bands like Godspeed You! Black Emperor and Mogwai? The speech at the beginning and the end of Wretches and Kings and the minimalistic tunes in the new songs remind me of post-rock. Also, the more electronical parts in The Catalyst reminded me of Pendulum’s new album Immersion. Not much, but enough to see similarities.

Great lyrics anyway. Much better than the lyrics on HT or Meteora (which still were good), you guys have really grown.

34. Alexandra Nofi on September 6, 2010 at 12:15 pm

YAYZ! The right lyrics! Finally! Arigatou!

What I love about this song is that it has the classic rap/rock style, only, there are newer elements thrown in, such as the reggae tone in the vocals. It’s a nice, balanced combination of the old with the new. These lyrics are a dramatic step up, too. There are many face value and hidden messages in these lyrics. The Mario Savio reference, encouraging music to have substance and make a statement, and it’s a bit of a rapper boast too.

I’m glad you are putting Fort Minor into Linkin Park, rather than doing another solo album. It makes for some very diverse and well, yummilicious music ;D

35. EpicLinkinPark on September 6, 2010 at 12:14 pm

This song is so epic!
    I think it’s so awesome you guys used Mario’s speech in the song. I can’t wait for A Thousand Suns! Hope all is going well with you and the guys. Keep up the awesome work guys, This album is going to be epic.
    Best wishes!
    Kate

36. jenjithesnail on September 6, 2010 at 12:13 pm

The energy from this song is amazing… Reminds me of Fort Minor ^¬^ Chester’s voice is still incredible and it’s great to hear the return of Mr. Hahn’s scratchings.
    A week to go for me until A Thousand Suns is released. I still can’t quite believe it… the amount of effort you guys must of put into making this album is unbelievable!
    I’m looking forward to listening to the results🙂

37. klau7 on September 6, 2010 at 11:59 am

Thank you Mike!!!😀

38. cincybmxlpfreak on September 6, 2010 at 11:53 am

OH MY GOD! I just listened to the song and it is absolutely SICK!!! TRULY Masterful!!! I feel industrial, gangsta rap, reggae, and hip hop all in the mix. It’s a beautiful combination! Linkin Park…I seriously love you. XOXOX

39. cezar_lp on September 6, 2010 at 11:27 am

Great Mike!
    My point is: There are fans of LP (folks that hear different music style) and fans of Hybrid Theory, Meteora, etc….

Im so proud to be a real fan of LP!

40. evooba on September 6, 2010 at 11:17 am

Hey, thanks for posting the right lyrics! That’s another proof that you read our comments. I asked you to post them like 2 days ago and you just did! Thanks again. So cool🙂 Can’t wait to listen to the whole album! One week left!😀

41. Patrick on September 6, 2010 at 11:16 am

Just great!

42. gdeegan on September 6, 2010 at 11:13 am

Great song mike!! Wasnt a fan of Catalyst but this song definitely more then made up for it. I love the reggae feel you guys have got going and I love that you’re back rapping! Im excited to hear the rest of the album!

43. kathyxx on September 6, 2010 at 11:08 am

“No more this sun shall beat onto you”

ahhhh that’s what that line is! thanks you!

44. anaphx on September 6, 2010 at 10:50 am

Thank you for the correct lyrics mike!

As you might have read on the fansites forums, people say that W&K sounds like the oldschool Linkin Park and like nothing new.
    To me it has alot of new elements and I believe the fans are awaiting something that doesnt sound like Linkin Park at all…but its still the 6 of you and whatever you will do: it will always be Linkin Park..
    I can understand how excited you are, in 5 days the album will be released in Germany..I hope you can sleep well because once it’s out.Twitter will be down, million – no ZILLIONS of pople will write everywhere their comments and emotions of ATS…

45. fatimalp on September 6, 2010 at 10:48 am

thank you, Mike! the song is so awesome!

46. curlylp on September 6, 2010 at 10:47 am

Thank you for the lyrics. It’s awesome, btw.😀

47. MonkeyChevalier on September 6, 2010 at 10:43 am

Thank you so much, Mike!😀

48. theyactuallymakemylifebetter on September 6, 2010 at 10:42 am

I liked the song, but I prefer ‘The Catalyst’…
    Who has the idea for the Mario Savio’s speech at the begging?

49. 3infinity on September 6, 2010 at 10:41 am

Just one Q…Why raggae, not that I think it’s bad but it’s kind of a weird direction you took there?

50. stingerlp on September 6, 2010 at 10:39 am

finally, thank you!

51. aninhalp on September 6, 2010 at 10:38 am

This song is really only very good! And I already bought my A Thousand Suns, I’m hoping to arrive at my home. You will make a video with it too??

52. Kiara on September 6, 2010 at 10:37 am

Thanks for the lyrics :D!!!!!

53. ibequa on September 6, 2010 at 10:37 am

awesome track! rap! rap! rap!

54. michazyee on September 6, 2010 at 10:37 am

Thank you Mike!

55. sirfrankphoenix on September 6, 2010 at 10:37 am

The old good energy is back!