Meeting Of A Thousand Suns: Behind Our Album

September 11, 2010

With the release of our album, we are also putting out a companion DVD called “Meeting Of A Thousand Suns.”  This documentary is easily one of the most powerful insights into our creative process ever recorded.  It’s a revealing look into the personalities of the band: our fears, our victories, and the journey that we took to make A Thousand Suns.

We wanted everyone to be able to experience this piece, so we decided to put the entire piece up on Hulu for your enjoyment.  The link is below.  For everyone who gets the special edition or box set: this is what’s on the DVD.

BTW, I suppose this kinda warrants a “spoiler alert” for those who haven’t heard the album yet.  Here’s the link to MEETING OF A THOUSAND SUNS:

Shouts out to Mark Fiore and Ghost Town for their amazing work on this piece.

1. mishacordon on September 26, 2010 at 6:26 pm

Amazing amazing album🙂 i feel like i wanna cover all the songs haha🙂

2. thegluelpfan on September 18, 2010 at 5:05 am

This is a very…real documentary.I’m not sure how to put it in words actually.It’s very interesting and kind of frightening to see that version of the making-the more serious one.And tbh this documentary just made me love the album even more.I love the music and now that I know how much you’ve put into it,literally blood,sweat and tears it just makes me appreciate and love it even more.

3. linkinparkforever275 on September 14, 2010 at 6:55 am

Its an amazing documentary!!! Its really epic!! Like the album!

4. botanixvosmisotiy44 on September 14, 2010 at 5:58 am

hi mike! your album is cool! it’s the best!

5. keineahnung84 on September 13, 2010 at 4:51 am

just listened to the album for the first time and I was pleasantly surprised!🙂 After hearing the catalyst I wasn’t sure if I was going to like this album at all because I’m not into electronic music, but this album is simply amazing!!! *My* definition of a good song usually contains at least somewhere some heavy guitar riffs, but you don’t seem to need that, one of my favs of the album is when they come for me and I LOVE iridescent…wish you could make a video to every single song! Btw, love the idea of the speeches as interludes. Damn, so much more to say, but no space left…anyway, WELL DONE! GREAT ALBUM!! LOVE IT!!🙂

6. dicarloproductions on September 13, 2010 at 4:26 am

I find it Unbelievable how MUCH your Live MTV performance sounds like my “Live Arrangement” Remix.
    My Live Arrangement Remix;
    Glad you liked it!!!!!!🙂

DICARLO

7. jagta on September 13, 2010 at 1:36 am

US only. I knew it. It’s gonna happen.

8. defiantqueen on September 12, 2010 at 7:28 am

so unrelated to ATS but I just wanted to share this with you guys. 8 BIT. enjoy.

9. orionwong on September 12, 2010 at 5:33 am

“Sorry, video only stream in US” circle mouth + speeeechlesssss + =口=……

10. boringrockstar on September 12, 2010 at 4:39 am

Sorry but this was the worst documentary i’ve ever seen from you guys😦 there’s nothing funny or informative or really special about this DVD.And all those strange sounds and video sequences were just annoying! The minutes to Midnight DVD was waaaay better. But the album itself is awesome! It’s definitely not what I expected but it’s great though;)

11. missleahe on September 12, 2010 at 3:54 am

thank you for posting the link, mike. it was a very powerful, and moving documentary. as an artist myself, i always have the genius of linkin park to thank for inspiring my work. i feel this documentary really reaches out to your fans and other creatives. it shows us the real process of what went in to produce the amazing end result. the road to success in any great masterpiece doesn’t come with out struggle. thank you for continuously bringing phenomenal music to the table and always teaching me to push my limits further. i am in love with ‘a thousand suns’. to say that it’s a truly a remarkable record is only an understatement.

12. ShinigamiPWN on September 12, 2010 at 2:13 am

I was intrigued and also disappointed with Meeting of A Thousand Suns. I was hoping it would be much longer than it was. However, seeing you stressed over the deadlines was intriguing to see. Chester’s ‘speech’ at the end was very nice and made me feel like that’s what ATS was all about. Just you guys making music that made you happy.. and not trying to conform to what other people want. You looked very tired.. so thanks for working hard for us fans.

13. lisaasimpson on September 12, 2010 at 2:12 am

Hula won’t let me watch this. International discrimination😀

14. thomasbrablec on September 12, 2010 at 1:50 am

Crap! US only. I hope someone re-uploads it to some other site.

15. MonkeyChevalier on September 12, 2010 at 1:21 am

me too can’t watch it on hulu😦
    but it’s ok anyway, i can wait for the special edition😀

16. ribblake on September 12, 2010 at 1:20 am

To be honest. i’m a little peeved that i payed 30 bucks for the CD so i could watch the DVD and to find out its on the internet for free streaming.. thats a little blow to us paying customers (personally). Another annoyance lol. The editing pissed me off *nice effects don’t get me wrong* but why does LPTV have moments where Meet. of ats doesn’t have it. DVD should contain EVERY THING LPTV has and MORE. We really didn’t get much of the band speaking which i love, when they interact, when you guys had drama. you just edited it so much we didn’t get much value, more the quick screen shots with music playing. The ending was abrupt lol and left us with a cliff hanger

17. linkinparkette on September 12, 2010 at 12:52 am

since my cd/dvd wont come til september 15, i will watch that link on september 14 before school. cant wait to see it :4

18. dpking2222 on September 12, 2010 at 12:34 am

Damn Hulu. Guess I’ll have to try get the special edition.

19. thedarktonik on September 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm

so cool

20. dorito82 on September 11, 2010 at 10:52 pm

That was a really well done documentary, Mike… What impressed me the most was how much thought and time you put into each and every aspect of a song until all six of you, and Rick, are satisfied.

21. micosipicosi on September 11, 2010 at 8:44 pm

this is one of the most impressing works I’ve ever seen. Honestly, to me it’s very important. Thank you guys for such cause of inspiration.

22. Christian on September 11, 2010 at 8:17 pm

Hey, Mike. After watching this documentary and listening to ATS in its entirety, I’m reminded why you guys are one of my favorite bands: you’re incredibly true to who you are. Truth be told, after my first listening to ATS, I walked away a little disappointed-it was so radically different from what I thought Linkin Park should be, I didn’t know what to think. After a few more listens, though, I came to really respect and enjoy the new album, and realize that Linkin Park is not anything other than what you guys want it to be. In any event, thanks for persevering through the hard stuff and giving us fans a great new album. I know it’ll be in my CD player for a long time.

23. anishinoda on September 11, 2010 at 7:50 pm

All my life i say “Linkin park it’s my favorite band in the world” but this album…….it’s not Linkin. I love Linkin park forever…for the really good albums for me. Sorry guys, it’s so……diferent music. Always be with you, because LP is the band of my life, i’m LP fan forever, but this album is so diferent for me, it’s a really great album, the letters….the music…..awesome, a really good job, but it’s not my music, not the music that I love all this years.

Ana, from Barcelona (Spain)

24. Julian on September 11, 2010 at 7:21 pm

It was really scary to see there are so much tension in the band while writing this record. Nevertheless, fans will always be with you and support you guys, keep on the good work!

25. Alexandra Nofi on September 11, 2010 at 7:03 pm

I thought the part when you were lecturing the band about being laid back over the deadline was interesting. There’s only one other time I’ve ever seen you pissed off, and frankly, that calm anger is something I find intimidating. It’s the total opposite of the bubbly, hyper, fluffy, sweet as sugar Mikey we’re all accustomed to. I think the thing that actually “shocked” me about that was how, even Brad couldn’t get you to chill out.

Funny, my significant other is the exact same way. All bubbly and hyper, and the first time I ever saw him angry I was so surprised. I didn’t think he had it in him.

26. Fetus Borat on September 11, 2010 at 7:01 pm

Mike, I thought A Thousand Suns and the documentary were both freaking amazing. I can’t stop listening to the songs. But, really, if you’re going to stream the entire thing to every one out there, then why did I just pay extra to get it? Normally, I justify this with “because it helps the band and I’m sure they would not be happy if you get their stuff for free” but in this case, you willfully gave it away. Man, pretty soon I’m going to need A Thousand Feet to shove up A Thousand Asses.

lol jk, great album, guys

27. slowlearner32 on September 11, 2010 at 5:40 pm

…..hulu.

28. 22blackjack on September 11, 2010 at 4:37 pm

I really enjoyed “Meeting of a Thousand Suns” – more than what I thought I would in fact. Even though the effects put throughout the editing were a bit much, the content was great, and you guys really captured the tension. In fact, towards the end I even felt a little uncomfortable watching, coz it was clearly evident you guys were stressed as hell. And the very ending of the DVD? Epic. It fit perfectly. Top notch work, guys =]

29. lufmeup on September 11, 2010 at 3:13 pm

the dvd is epic! I have seen it on youtube (cause I don’t live in US) tonight and just loved it! It shows everything pretty indecent. What sucks though is that we the people who paid for the album doesn’t get anything different than the online people..

30. yun on September 11, 2010 at 2:49 pm

WTF?! we are paying to see it and you guys give the link away like that??
    plus, ATS is not even out yet, and you released half of it via myspace. I don’t like this marketing strategy at all, I’m disappointed, really.

31. tse333 on September 11, 2010 at 2:22 pm

wooooooow so in the end i shouldnt have brought the dvd or the album, it seems like Linkin park are just giving everything away ¬¬

32. jozzie8 on September 11, 2010 at 2:06 pm

Hey Mike is the DVD special edition available in stores as well?

33. cardboardgun on September 11, 2010 at 1:38 pm

This kinda screws over us pre-order guys since this is part of what we’ve been waiting for (at least in North America) and now everyone and their mother can see it before us….seems kind of wrong. I mean I could just go watch it, but that would ruin the full experience that I’ve been waiting for. Even the album is up for streaming, wtf man? I feel like I’ve been had. And screw all you torrenters for downloading the album. At least I have some (if only a little) honor in me, not that it matters anymore I guess.

34. thaguy16 on September 11, 2010 at 1:25 pm

you know what sucks? i spent 40 bucks on all this stuff. and i know i didnt have to, cuz i know i couldve just downloaded it all for free. but i didnt. and now basically everyone who paid for the album and stuff gets the same stuff that those who didnt pay for it do, basically. which kinda sucks for me cuz i spent over 40 bucks (about half was shipping and handling.) but yea. i know it was my choice and all. anyways. that will be all.

35. cctjehh on September 11, 2010 at 1:03 pm

it’s only available for US residents ;/
    but I don’t need to cry, I ordered the DVD special edition pre-order thing ^^

36. souneik on September 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Can’t do it. Can’t do it. Can’t do it. LOL I’m drawing the line right here. or here–> _____actually. I can’t let it influence me. I gotta wait.

37. anaaugustalp on September 11, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Michael Kenji Shinoda I want my DVD ATS now. ok? I cannot wait to have him in my house. Honestly? I’m freaking out here in Brazil! The songs are wonderful, the arrangements are perfect. You have worked very well! Thank you very much!!!😀

38. gnaa93 on September 11, 2010 at 12:51 pm

awesome… i like the static theme you guys have… its really cool

39. zara19lp on September 11, 2010 at 12:45 pm

The album was delivered to me this morning so Ive seen it, I certainly got the sense of fear and anxiety in the DVD, I wish I could have seen you guys have some fun though! Ill post next week when I decide on my favourite songs.

Also, I LOVE the black ATS cover, the rainbows are so pretty! I keep having to stop myself picking it up because of the finger marks. Really like the Blackout page in the booklet too.

Can you post some pictures from the superfan edition, I didnt have any intension to buy it until I got ATS and I have the MTM one, and I have LP vinyls so itll be good to have it, Im talking myself into it now, pictures might help me decide.

40. justbiteme9 on September 11, 2010 at 12:30 pm

Not fair, I can’t watch it cause i don’t live in the US. What a surprise…

41. Michael Gonzalez on September 11, 2010 at 12:11 pm

I cannot stop watching it. It’s an instant classic, epic piece by you guys. I’m working on a movie and a documentary for my friend’s album and this just inspires me. I have never seen any of you guys get frustrated and upset at one another, especially you Mike. It was nice to see exactly how it works out.

BTW, I heard the album and…..I LOVE IT. Hands down the best Linkin Park album yet. And of course, the best album of the year and of next year.

-Mike

42. evooba on September 11, 2010 at 12:09 pm

I watched it this afternoon and I was shocked! It is for me the best making of you’ve ever done! Mark managed to capture the feelings and emotions you guys had during the whole process. I had never seen this side of you guys; I could see the anxiousness that was going on and I ne’er imagine you guys argue! Also you Mike kept everyone on alert, especially when you were eating closer to the deadline. With one word the documentary was EPIC! Best moment, Chester holding your dog Jasper! He’s such a cute doggie ^^

43. xehpuk on September 11, 2010 at 12:08 pm

The album is awesome. The DVD is okay. I think I like the Making of Minutes to Midnight better. I miss videos like your newest at LPTV:

44. Parker on September 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Cannot wait to watch it. But I can’t do it now.. I still haven’t received my copy yet…😉

45. stingerlp on September 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

bad for no US residents…

46. Kiara on September 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

I live in Chile, so I can’t watch it on Hulu. But I’m going to buy the special edition anyway😀

47. mtarkhov on September 11, 2010 at 12:07 pm

its awesome, but hulu is US only, is ok if i download it over torrents? i ordered album anyway

48. ibequa on September 11, 2010 at 12:04 pm