“SugiPOP!” Art show feat. Takashi Murakami, Yoshitomo Nara, and Mike Shinoda

October 2, 2010

(above: “Tan Tan Bo” by Takashi Murakami, credit: laist.com)

A painting of mine will be on display in a show called “SugiPOP!: The Influence of Anime and Manga on Contemporary Art.”  The exhibition will be on display at the Portsmouth Museum of Art in Portsmouth, NH.

(For fans in the area: this is the first time my work has been displayed in New Hampshire.)

The show runs October 13th 2010 – January 16th 2011.  It is a collaborative effort, co-curated by Beau Basse of LeBasse Projects in Los Angeles and Katherine Doyle of the Portsmouth Museum of Art. It features the work of approximately 30 artists tracing the origins of manga, the rise of Japanese Contemporary Art and into how the art forms have influenced artists around the world.

Sugi, the Japanese word for ‘too much,’ represents the extreme characteristics of Japanese manga and anime, which have merged with the American phenomenon of Pop, to become SugiPOP – a blend of Japanese and American contemporary art shaped and defined by over-the-top pop.

The exhibition features an international roster of artists including Japanese masters Hokusai and Kuniyoshi in a display of original Edo period woodblock prints. The exhibit also features Japanese Contemporary artists Takashi Murakami, Yoshitomo Nara, Yoshitaka Amano, Mr., Ai Yamaguchi, Junko Mizuno and Hisashi Tenmyouya. International artists contributing to the exhibit include KAWS, Gary Baseman, Simone Legno, Natalia Fabia, Tomokazu Matsuyama, Yumiko Kayukawa, Seonna Hong, Hush, Morgan Slade, Edwin Ushiro, Luke Chueh, Andrew Hem, Mike Shinoda, SharkToof, Yoskay Yamamoto and more. Finally the exhibition includes original cels from some of the most significant anime films ever made, including Cowboy Bebop and Princess Mononoke.

The Portsmouth Museum of Art is located at One Harbour Place in downtown Portsmouth. Admission is free. www.portsmouthmfa.org

1. tayamichel on August 30, 2012 at 1:26 am

This is one of my favourite artworks, its so awesome and colourful

2. connorp24 on November 22, 2010 at 10:47 am

I was too suprised to see that you said Portsmouth, NH. That’s 20 minutes from where I live. I knew I had to check it out.
    The show was amazing and had everything I was looking for.
    Being an Illustration Major at NHIA I had to share it with my fellow students. Took many pictures and saw ‘Skull Pie.’ It was even better in person.
    Thanks Mike, Bring more Art and more artists out here.

3. galinmitev on October 19, 2010 at 1:02 pm

Hey, Mike I think you’ll like the “Wretches And Kings” Video that I made:

4. gheistxanimus on October 18, 2010 at 2:01 pm

I wonder what this would do for a synesthete…

5. Connie on October 15, 2010 at 7:18 pm

i see art like this and i become inspired

6. humidfreak on October 12, 2010 at 4:04 pm

mike what do you think of BANKSY’S work?

7. faintypainty on October 8, 2010 at 8:52 am

Uh, i would like to see, but i haven´t the money to come!

Please take pictures for me!

——> Please!

I am a fan of the artist. ;-)

8. dorito82 on October 8, 2010 at 12:59 am

cool! Clever title for the show, too!

9. galinmitev on October 7, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Hey.
    Hey,
    Hey, Mike I think you’ll like the “Wretches And Kings” Video that I made. Here’s the video – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMo1WoHcfE

In the video you can see quite good effects and sync. I made it for 2-3 days. I don’t believe you have time to watch my video, but if you find some free time, please watch it!

– credicle

10. alenakol on October 7, 2010 at 11:39 am

hah, cool)))

11. shugahcolby on October 7, 2010 at 10:20 am

Its looks so amazing! wow… i dont even have words for it :).

you know, the first time i saw the title to your blog post i was confused… lol… i thought i was reading it wrong. my name is Shugah (suga) so at first glance it looked like my name.. haha… double take! #pantslessmike <3

12. xoxoluvcoco on October 6, 2010 at 11:39 am

Man I wish I still lived in Portsmouth, NH!! I use to go the art museum all the time when I lived up there. Maybe my grandparents will see some of your work (they still live up there)

13. asimakenji on October 6, 2010 at 8:18 am

Takashi is a genius!!!
    and you MIKE!!!

14. rocksession555 on October 6, 2010 at 6:03 am

wow i love this! i love the contrasting colors… (i see u have some contrastin colors put together there). and i like the whole feel of it its great! (it kinda looks a bit flat to me though :( ). when i listen to ur music and see ur art (this piece) it connects and it makes me ABSOLUTELY sure tht u put everything in your work!

I’M A BIG FAN OF U AND CHESTER AND LINKIN PARK IS MY FAVE BAND!! OWN ALL UR CDS!!!! I WOULD LIKE TO GET IN TOUCH WITH U SOMEDAY… I DUNNO HOW I WOULD DO THT BUT YA. TC BYE

15. gisellebee on October 5, 2010 at 11:20 pm

NO WAY!
    My 3 favorite things!
    Art, Mike Shinoda, & COWBOY BEBOP!<3
    Post those pictures up please!

16. lplovei on October 4, 2010 at 2:50 pm

Congrats Mike! New Hampshire folks will get a kick outta that.

17. galinmitev on October 4, 2010 at 2:32 pm

Hey.

– credicle

18. doradotlic on October 4, 2010 at 7:31 am

awesome, dude.

19. shakthehotshot on October 4, 2010 at 12:07 am

Wow this is amazing……

Hey MIKE I have made one dark music, I would be greatfull If you use it in SAW 3D or where ever you like, here is the link

This music is made in FLStudio and the 1st 3 pics in the video are made by me, rest of them is taken from the internet.

20. madshell on October 3, 2010 at 10:56 pm

if only i could be there D: i love art exhibitions (im italian xD) but i cant afford to go halfway across the world…

21. madna29 on October 3, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Wow! WoW! WOW!
    I think I know that character..
    Ummm…. Who is he?? Ummmm….

22. dovingbird on October 3, 2010 at 3:29 pm

Jealoooooous! If only I could fly, my boyfriend’d freaking LOVE to be there to see that. He adores your designs. God, last night the two of us were sitting in his room and shooting the breeze and randomly organizing his various CDs and he wasted no time in pulling out all of the work you’d done on the LP and Fort Minor albums and babbled on about it all in his Graphic Design/Illustrationese for a good fifteen minutes. Hope there’ll be more chances to see examples of your work down closer to home.

23. yun on October 3, 2010 at 3:02 pm

Ohhhh crap this looks so great! “SugiPOP!: The Influence of Anime and Manga on Contemporary Art.”: would be a really really cool artshow I’d go to. So sad Italy is so far away from you. Bummer ._.
    And congrats to you for this opportunity of showing up your works around, I’m happy you got the chance :)

24. galinmitev on October 3, 2010 at 2:25 pm

Hey.

– credicle

25. waytomikee on October 3, 2010 at 6:41 am

Translation of a the verse from which your “Album Title” was taken on.

Available in all languages (in audio too)

Mike Sir,also listen to the sanskrit audio (so You may know the verse in orignal language)

26. Zara on October 3, 2010 at 6:02 am

Would love to know more about your painting, could you post a picture?

27. nazgulinou on October 3, 2010 at 5:11 am

Takashi Murakami … This artist is doing an exhibition at the “Château de Versailles” (near Paris) right now. It has created a huge controversy because “it’s inconsistent with the spirit of the historic building”. Here is one of his works :)

28. ymsnow on October 3, 2010 at 5:05 am

;)
    ポップ過ぎ!
    that’s so cool.

29. orhanmasa on October 3, 2010 at 4:21 am

Hey, Mike you must see this awesome “Wretches And Kings” video! – http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gIMo1WoHcfE

30. zahralp on October 3, 2010 at 4:11 am

i saw ur name next Andrew Hem in the list soo ur doing some new art for the show!? the show looks more than just exciting XD
    i will defiantly recommend this to my friends that are close to LA ;)

mike i realized no one seems to have asked this and i wanted to ask it from joe but he left the chat so fast he didnt reach the Z’s :) so i’m posting my Q here to see if u’d answer :

what happened to NOBRAIN’s remix of the catalyst ,i thought the song was gonna be on the album?!
    much respect from ur fans in IRAN,
    and as well goes to the work you’ve pout up for ATS
    thanx :)

31. lode1989 on October 3, 2010 at 2:12 am

I see some little Shinoda feeling in it. :d

32. slowlearner32 on October 3, 2010 at 1:40 am

ポップ過ぎ!!!

33. thegluelpfan on October 3, 2010 at 1:18 am

Very interesting…I myself am interested in manga and anime so…yeah.Would be great if you could upload a picture of your painting…

34. adiek84 on October 3, 2010 at 1:11 am

That’s definately going to be one crazy art show, just a bit too far away from me(Dusseldorf,Germany -> Portsmouth,US).;-)
    Also check out the “Humanimals” exhibition at PMoA, looks hilarious!^^

35. cctjehh on October 3, 2010 at 1:07 am

I´m kinda into art, but the artist I like are for some reason always americans.. Hmm you should do an european art show ;D
    anyways would you please upload your piece, so we can see it too? (:

36. fatimalp on October 3, 2010 at 12:21 am

wow this is so cool! thanks for this post Mike, really interesting.
    I like this painting & this kind of art! also can’t wait to see your work for this exhibition. your art is always inspiring and very cool! ;)

37. evooba on October 2, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Wow! That painting looks epic! :D I wanna see your piece so bad! I hope you’ll upload it for us one day. Seems like it’s gonna be a kickass art show :)

38. levidobson on October 2, 2010 at 10:40 pm

Awesome work mike. looks sweet as.

39. orionwong on October 2, 2010 at 8:24 pm

Can you tell how many eyes can u see in the painting exactly? lol, i love it so much. Do u think the art show could be seen on internet? that would be great coz i’m not in that area.

40. alyeska39 on October 2, 2010 at 7:43 pm

Wow, sounds like a fun art show! Can’t wait for the pics to hit the net!

41. argol8489 on October 2, 2010 at 7:26 pm

I too love this painting … certainly doubt that you are a genius of the arts … congrats mike and much success. You are an example to follow.

42. iralovesbanchan on October 2, 2010 at 7:07 pm

wow.. it seems like urban monster *O*
    i love this art so much, and the colors awesomeee!!

43. nyupark on October 2, 2010 at 6:42 pm

:O
    this kind of art looks really interesting and crazy!
    I like it! owó
    congrats Mike! :3
    kisses from Chile nwn

44. melbapinckney on October 2, 2010 at 6:39 pm

Mike this is so cool. Congratulations!

45. milasouza11 on October 2, 2010 at 6:33 pm

Congratulations Mike..

the painting is really beautiful! i liked!
    In fact, i love everything you do!! EVERYTHING!!!

I love you! i don’t tire to tell you that

by:@milasouza11

46. souneik on October 2, 2010 at 6:14 pm

Dope.

47. justbiteme9 on October 2, 2010 at 5:42 pm

That’s crazy!!! Love it!!!

48. thepixelpod on October 2, 2010 at 5:32 pm

that pic rule i can see more within
    i want it like a poster in my room,
    mike! u are my fav artist,
    ;3,