Come geek out in the studio.

December 23, 2010

A great article about A Thousand Suns came out recently in EQ Magazine.  It’s more of a tech-focused piece, so those of you who are into music gear can feel free to get into full-on nerd mode with me.

But for those who aren’t as music-gear-savvy, here’s an excerpt that you might enjoy:

“With the exception of Bennington’s trademark guttural screams, any resemblance to the rap rock genre they helped define has been rinsed out. Intensity and ferocious introspection are still the endgame, but the path has changed. And when that path is lined with more than 50 million album sales, two Grammys, and nine Number One singles on the Billboard Alternative Chart, throwing the rule book out the window takes more than a simple leap of faith.”

Check out the whole article here:

1. helazahg on May 5, 2011 at 2:14 am

Ive been wanting to say this for a while but only just decided to actually get up and say it….
    I LOVE THIS PIC!!! oh and your hair looks pretty awsome in that photo aswell. Oh and if you decide to get your hair cut again, then please dont go back to red spike hair (not that you will).

2. aberu on December 31, 2010 at 6:17 pm

awesone pic!

3. vishnu babu on December 30, 2010 at 11:56 pm

4. thabata_ms on December 29, 2010 at 6:33 pm

I Like your hair like that haha *—*
    love yoooooou! s2

5. mercenary18 on December 27, 2010 at 11:55 pm

Vdalem: haha this is an old pic…but i do absolutely LOVE his hair like this..This is such a great pic!! =D

6. thegluelpfan on December 27, 2010 at 3:19 pm

For a second I thought you were running a contest for someone to come in and hang out with you in the studio… :D Anyway it was a great read even though I’m not very familiar with all the tech stuff :D

7. anaphx on December 27, 2010 at 10:40 am

Im sorry for posting a video, but as a fan of FEM i thought this parody was awesome :)

8. takumademonreborn on December 27, 2010 at 8:18 am

great article mike :)

9. faintypainty on December 26, 2010 at 10:09 pm

You are like smoked ham, i cannot resist you!

10. melbapinckney on December 26, 2010 at 6:52 pm

Hello Mike! :D How are you? That’s a good article by EQ Magazine. HAHA! Yeah, you’re right, you have to be a music-gear-savvy person to understand EQ’s article. Big name producer/recording/mixing equipments, etc. :) Anyway, Thanks so much for sharing! lol :D

11. fmlp93 on December 26, 2010 at 3:36 am

folks unfortunately this photo is much older than you think .
    i think it´s from the early 4th album sessions where mike still had short hair.
    please go back to that :)

12. bonnie77lp on December 25, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Please tell me that this is an old photo of you, cause u are soooo hot with the longer hairstyle
    Merry Christmas Mike, 2 u and the rest of LP!!!

13. lpsnumber1 on December 25, 2010 at 4:23 pm

MIKE YOU MUST CHECK THIS OUT AND SHOW ROB!!! It’s… it’s amazing. XD

Merry Christmas! Feliz Navidad! Joyeux Noel!!

14. linkinparktjejen on December 25, 2010 at 12:00 pm

Merry Xmas Mike! Hope you have a great day with your family and friends! U ROCK!

Much love / Linda

15. galinmitev on December 25, 2010 at 11:32 am

“Wretches And Kings” Video:

16. thomasbrablec on December 25, 2010 at 7:58 am

Thanks for the post and Happy Holidays, Mike! :)

17. ravea on December 25, 2010 at 7:01 am

Great article! Thanks for sharing :)
    I whish I could be like you someday. Your life is just so great! Do you know how lucky you are? It’s the best thing in the world to make music and then there are people, who tell you they love what you do… it must be so f’cking satisfying! I would love to go to university and study music, but my parents won’t let me cause they want me to do something “proper”…
    Anyway… I love you guys (it must be so strange to hear that from people you don’t even know ^^) I really admire you and your music.
    Merry Christmas!

18. Resurrection on December 25, 2010 at 5:19 am

19. sloboda89 on December 25, 2010 at 5:07 am

Russian Folk Orchestra!!!! that’s awsome!!!!

20. lillyhfg on December 25, 2010 at 4:25 am

Merry Christmas for you guys:
    Mike, Joe, Chester, Dave, Brad, Rob! Thanks for making my days better with your music!
    and of course Merry Christmas for every Linkin Park Fans!! :)

21. Shinoda's Army on December 25, 2010 at 4:06 am

for a moment I thought you cut that hair.
    nice article, I wrote one too for my local journal; being a fan helps more. ps. MERRY CHRISTMAS MIKE!

22. jozzie8 on December 25, 2010 at 3:54 am

Interesting read but very technical.

23. aravind221 on December 25, 2010 at 3:49 am

when i said about the Synths in the London summit , U smiled mikey , no wonder u know the fans keep track of everything u guys do specially what u do mike , this adds more info’s to us thanks,;):D adds more questions in my minds c u in next summit , UK , MIKE bring in ” WITH YOU ” , ” Reading my eyes /Bleed it out / plc for my head ” , for download festival 2011 , i love it :);) enjoy ur new year Lp

24. linkinlayra on December 25, 2010 at 12:15 am

It doesn’t matter do you like new or old material because their live performances are still friking awesome! :)

I love hybrid theory
    I love meteora
    I love minutes to midnight
    I love a thousand suns
    I love Linkin Park!

http://linkinlayra.blogspot.com/2010/11/omfg-thank-u-linkin-park-thank-you-lpu.html <- everybody. Welcome to READ MY BLOG :)

25. boger7lp on December 24, 2010 at 9:26 pm

And then what?
    will be the same these next years and hope that will change again if
    sorry but for me there is nothing new or novel A Thousan Suns
    just buy it for support
    and I do not disagree with the change
    approve the change I think is right
    and I hope this is the beginning of what we want to find
    and do not bind to the same concept of A Thousan Suns
    could combine all that past events and translate it into something more progressive

26. in491 on December 24, 2010 at 8:16 pm

INDIA:

Wish You & You Family a MERRY CHRISTMAS & a Happy New Year!

27. troublev on December 24, 2010 at 5:22 pm

I wish you a very Merry Christmas Mike to you and your Family! <3

28. adrixlp on December 24, 2010 at 4:04 pm

HAPPY CHRISTMAS
    for you LP guys!!!!!!!!
    WE ALL LOVE YOU!!!!!

29. mercenary18 on December 24, 2010 at 1:48 pm

Ha yea..not really tech savvy…i’ll check out the article anyway…if i need help i can always ask my friend…he’s really tech savvy…thats his job…lol oh and i love that pic =) from Blackbirds video..=D

Thanks for sharing!

30. vdalem on December 24, 2010 at 11:13 am

Yay! Mikey got a haircut! Coolness!

31. Resurrection on December 24, 2010 at 7:05 am

i like the old more..but i realized that your new songs are like the old.. they songs lyrics/sound whatever aren´t mainstream they are a unique. they have a sense. not like the other absurd bands. keep it up!
    and short hair are better :\

here a little holiday gift

minvasion.wordpress.com/2010/12/23/450/

32. xdarkshinigamix on December 24, 2010 at 4:06 am

Hey Mike! A while back I made a Halo Reach music video with The Catalyst. I think it can compete with the Medal of Honor vid you all made. Anyways, here it is and I hope everyone enjoys.

33. hybridlilah on December 24, 2010 at 3:44 am

great article, in foreign language :-). LP is the best mix of great artists and system engineers. LP is the best everything. ATS is amazingly surprising and highly addictive. glad to see those eyes again. hope this is a new pic.

34. lorenalp on December 24, 2010 at 2:19 am

really cool, I think this article define very well the band (:

35. dorito82 on December 24, 2010 at 12:28 am

ummm, yeah, that was WAAAAYYYY over my head, but interesting, anyway.

Enjoy the dry weather while it lasts!

36. milasouza11 on December 23, 2010 at 6:23 pm

Hi Mike..

I’m glad, you’re appearing more times on twitter, and on your blog!
    About “A Thousand Suns”, this record is perfect. Every song is conected with the next song. It’s amazing! My favorites is: Blackout and Robot Boy.
    I’ve watched Blackout Live, and it is incredible! For this reason
    LP won best live act at EMA.
    you know, i’ll always support LP! no matter what’s happen

In this picture, you posted, you’re most handsome! haha
    I like your hair like that!

I wish to you Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!
    Peace! Rock!
    God Bless you, honey! I love you (you’ve no idea)

By: @milasouza11 Camila From Brazil

37. cincybmxlpfreak on December 23, 2010 at 5:43 pm

Holy hell. We haven’t seen your hair like that in a while. Lol!

38. Alexandra Nofi on December 23, 2010 at 3:49 pm

I’ll call myself a nerd once in a while but I really don’t understand the technical side of music, nor do I believe that the technical side contributes much to the artistic aspect of music.

Here’s an analogy for you, in reference to my kind of art: I adore Stephen King, but, every time you turn around, he puts a book out. People often ask me why I spend many years on my manuscripts, and why I have very few of them. The simple answer is, because I would rather put out a fantastic book one time in my life, than put out ten books which are poorly written.

So, our media may be different, but, I think it’s safe to say we have something in common.

39. 3infinity on December 23, 2010 at 3:46 pm

Wow I wish I end up in a band like this one time, with all this gear and fans as awesome as your’s, yeah, I’ll make it happen :D

40. shan1105 on December 23, 2010 at 2:47 pm

Find it funny everyone comments about your hair and not so much about the article.

41. kathyxx on December 23, 2010 at 2:46 pm

epic gear. I also liked this video i saw earlier of you showing off your home studio. It’s pretty sweet.

also, epic picture

42. betty108 on December 23, 2010 at 2:28 pm

Haven’t posted in a while, Im just a lurker(: Anyways, nice read but I was completely lost.

On a side note: I don’t think Mike cut his hair, it’s probably an old photo?

43. adiek84 on December 23, 2010 at 2:24 pm

I really like the tech-focused articles about A thousand suns. There have been quite a few and for someone who has absolutely no idea about that stuff it’s really interesting. Also, I always enjoy the look on my big brother’s face (he’s a DJ) when I recommend him the coolest wave plug ins or ask about his Axiom Pro.^^
    On a side note, you’ve cut your hair! I just wanted to mention that, in case nobody else notices.
    Happy Holidays!

44. souneik on December 23, 2010 at 1:14 pm

Nerds. Sometimes I imagine you guys as a sorta human Voltron. If you don’t mind I’m keeping that delusion until I see it for myself. I sequenced my remix on my MPC alone and could only two track it out. But now I…and I still have a long way to go… This place sucks out your soul and life force , but I think I’ve been here long enough that I can use it as a stepping stone now. When I finish this, it will be the ultimate f%&K Y$u to everyone who has ever S$%t on me. I’mma read your nerd codes again when I’m not uber hyped & my music finger isn’t itchin.

45. evooba on December 23, 2010 at 1:09 pm

“Nerd mode” I LingOl-ed too hard when I read that :P Good thing you go on nerd mode at times…makes me feel good cause everytime I do everyone’s mocking me :/

Anyways, thx for sharing the article. It’s pretty cool :)

46. jayfrahlia on December 23, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Exelent ! We are so awesome ! <3

47. vickykun on December 23, 2010 at 12:48 pm

You cut it again. That´s nice ;33
    And congrats for the article( I´s really good and finally someone on the media could see how great your guys project is. I mean it.) and for this year nominations.

Well… Have a great holiday with your family and take a break you know? Just relax with your family and enjoy the X´mas, new year, etc ;3333

kiss kiss

48. liyananaznim on December 23, 2010 at 12:44 pm

yeay! finally u cut your hair! :P

Happy holiday to you and family!

49. tinalein76 on December 23, 2010 at 12:39 pm

Wow beautiful pic :)
    You Rock :)

50. Ally on December 23, 2010 at 12:38 pm

I love your hair cut.

Nice read.

51. EpicLinkinPark on December 23, 2010 at 12:37 pm

This was an epic article, I geeked out. I so wish I had pro tools. As of now, it’s just Garageband. Hopefully I will get to upgrade soon. I hope to get this keyboard soon. (Fantom-X8:Roland) It’s pretty awesome. Thanks again for sharing and Hope all is well Mike. Take care. :)

52. lillyhfg on December 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm

great photo… if this is a new picture I think I miss your longer hair :D
    but I like this, too!
    Happy holidays.
    …Hungary loves you

53. ktmcglp on December 23, 2010 at 12:32 pm

Im so glad you cut your hair, Have a good christmas Shinoda family

54. Rana LP addict on December 23, 2010 at 12:20 pm

OH!! How much i love You LP !!!!! You really Should have won Grammys tthis year as well !!! You made a Revoloution with your songs.. And Who won’t say You’re the only Creating,Talented Altenative/Numetal/Rock band .. die :D

55. millalp94 on December 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm

ahhhhhhh Mike ! love this pic!!!<3
    is it a new one??

@Brina..:P:P:P

56. Bru Previgonsté on December 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm

Nice pic … you’re wonderful!

57. kelly jean on December 23, 2010 at 12:18 pm