News In A Poster: New Way to Read The Morning Paper

February 3, 2011

Artist Johnny Selman designs a poster every day to inform the American public about world news.  He bases his posters on the headlines of the BBC (hence the name of his site), and hopes to help encourage the connection between the average American and the news of the rest  of the world.

More images on the next page, and here on his website: http://BBCx365.com/

1. Hathor on February 18, 2011 at 10:22 am

*amused that the poster has hosni mubarak on it*

Greetings from Egypt. The tyrant’s gone, as you MIGHT have heard, Mikey!

2. linkinsoldiers on February 10, 2011 at 10:27 pm

Happy Birthday Greeting from Argentina!!!!!!

3. thegluelpfan on February 9, 2011 at 7:14 am

That is pretty unique…there are some really creative people out there😀

4. dazzle18 on February 9, 2011 at 12:08 am

Hello Mike, This is my first post on your blog and I’m not even sure if this is the right place to ask. I know you’re currently on a Tour but I desperately hope you’ll see this =/ I just have a wish that I would appreciate, as well as many egyptians and lots worldwide would too. If LP would make a song dedicated to the egyptian people and the events that took place here over the last two weeks. What I’ve been through was undescribable! Linkin Park is my top favorite band. It would be a dream come true if I have a song reminding me of this remarkable time and the exceptional feelings I hold right now. Thanks in advance Mike. Ahmed Nabih, 20 yrs Cairo, Egypt (Posted on LP forums too)

5. lpsoul on February 8, 2011 at 6:22 pm

This is some sweet artwork. The one that looks like the Starbucks sign kinda has like a Shepard Fairey style with the OBEY sign.

6. St.Owner on February 7, 2011 at 6:11 pm

Hey Mike, this is some really cool artwork, thanks for introducing me to this guy’s work. Keep up the good work, A Thousand Suns is freaking awesome ! Raped my iPod !

7. ridwanfan on February 5, 2011 at 5:07 am

mike a song!!!!!!!!!!!

8. ridwanfan on February 5, 2011 at 5:04 am

make a song for that mike !!!!!!!!!!!

9. alenakolesova on February 4, 2011 at 2:33 pm

Oh God, Mike!=( I do not even know where to speak out, bad English … I know you are probably the only people with whom I have much solidarity in politics. With anyone. It’s so hard not to have companions. Around some atheists who do not know what to believe. They’re like the chicks in their shells, no one sees the truth. Nobody wants to think, all just agree with what has been said already the opinion of politicians. They are blind! And I certainly do not go to anyone but you. Thank you again, that you exist, and sorry for bad english =(

10. vickykun on February 4, 2011 at 11:06 am

Great stuff actually.
    I liked it.

The one with the angry woman from Starbucks was so true.

Really. Don´t try to understand why I thought that ;.;

lol

The second one was so true… The last one too.

11. fraanziita on February 4, 2011 at 9:18 am

I want to thank each member of the LP by making each day of my life, a special day, I FEEL the love in his music by what you do, I would say to Mike that you LOVE, and knowing that all the fans say I LOVE it … and I admire you greatly, you are very talented!

12. aravind221 on February 4, 2011 at 8:03 am

COOL MIKE GRT ONE🙂

13. dorito82 on February 3, 2011 at 11:51 pm

Great concept!

14. dovingbird on February 3, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Brilliant, sir, just brilliant. Warms my heart to know you’re not only recommending kickbutt graphic design, but also reminding us of what’s really going on in the world instead of acting like it revolves around you guys all the time. That Egypt poster means a lot to me, especially since I’ve been playing “Hands Held High” every time I’m thinking about it on a long walk to class.

Keep playing strong, and remember to feed those puppies on your dogsled.

-Dovingbird

15. takumademonreborn on February 3, 2011 at 9:19 pm

nice pics mike

16. smokins on February 3, 2011 at 7:52 pm

U know mike, i always wanted you to come to egypt and play in front of the pyramids and sphinx, after the events that happened here the past week, it would be stupid to ask you that, i wouldn’t want you to come here in this madness.. i should rob a bank now while the police is absent, and use the money to follow you guys all over the world.😀

17. galinmitev on February 3, 2011 at 6:08 pm

“Wretches And Kings” Video:

18. hybridshadow27 on February 3, 2011 at 4:36 pm

My god… that last one just look painful….
    I’m glad there are artists out there determined to make people aware of the things happening around them, and that we shouldn’t just live in our own little bubble

19. hypocritemonkey on February 3, 2011 at 3:35 pm

You people have no idea what’s going on here. It’s awful. That poster doesn’t even begin to describe it. The police are looking for a reason to start shooting everyone. They shot my brother and I watched it happen. It’s just… it’s bad.
    I really wish Mubarak would just step aside. He’s an awful man. =[

20. jagta on February 3, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Ugh! Egypt again! All the stations here in Middle East was all ’bout Egypt. Well I’d like to read news on posters. BBC kinda play their news over and over again but you can see that there’s a word “live” on the screen.

21. millasouza11 on February 3, 2011 at 1:40 pm

I LOVE YOU!! YOU’LL LOVE THE TRIBUTE WE (BRAZILIAN FANS –@HappyBDay_Mike) ARE organizing for your BIRTHDAY! *—-*
    Soon.. you can check it out! =]

God Bless you!
    by: @milasouza11 (Camila) from BRAZIL

22. Rana LP addict on February 3, 2011 at 1:38 pm

COOL .. .Hey Mike ..What’s your opinion about what’s happening in Egypt…? Can you share with us ! Thnx for sharing

23. evooba on February 3, 2011 at 12:08 pm

Thats a pretty cool idea! Selman’s a really good artist. Thx for sharing😉

Btw, have you checked out the new GBC yet? Epic!😀

24. alenakolesova on February 3, 2011 at 11:44 am

Yes, a great artist. Good idea with Egypt. It is great that there are such people. Respect.

25. whosmurry on February 3, 2011 at 11:09 am

Ugh, that last one gave me the chills. This is interesting stuff– thanks for sharing.

26. Ally on February 3, 2011 at 11:05 am

Clicked the link, and checked them all out. I liked the fish one the most.

27. Colorize The Future on February 3, 2011 at 10:33 am

It’s a good idea. And it gives too good and realistic movies.

28. souneik on February 3, 2011 at 9:59 am

The 3 year old in Sudan and little girls who just wanted to learn to read…
    I think about them a lot. I’d love to go numb but If I do someone else will have to take my place. I’m much too stubborn to let that happen. Thanks for sharing with us

29. Braffschein on February 3, 2011 at 9:43 am

wow, that’s deep, Mike. Thanks for the link.

30. Claudia B. on February 3, 2011 at 9:20 am

Awesome way of getting news. (The second one. LOL)Art can really be the thing that can bring important news to the masses.

P.S. @The10800 FYI, you are NOT first :)You were a couple of seconds too late. Sorry to burst your bubble😀

31. Alexandra Nofi on February 3, 2011 at 8:48 am

Wow, I find this very interesting. It’s a great way to learn about what is going in other places besides just Egypt. See, when you turn on CNN, all you see is the repetitive coverage of that one situation. Well, what about the other situations going on in other countries? Haiti, Iraq, Iran, North and South Korea, China, etc.

Speaking of politics, have you heard that the Speaker of the House wants to change the legal definition of rape to rule out certain rape crimes, and this will make rape victims ineligible for health care. I already know my own thoughts on this, but, I’d like to hear yours.

32. adiek84 on February 3, 2011 at 8:05 am

The posters are really incredible and it’s a cool idea. The TV usually uses graphic pictures of war, murder, etc. and still I guess that most people watch the news as if it was a Hollywood movie. I wonder if art could create a real connection and understanding about what happens in the world. Unfortunately art is not really a mass medium.

33. regiw on February 3, 2011 at 8:02 am

Strong imagines,for sometimes horrifying news.
    Not sure I understand what an ‘avarage american’ is like, but I really wonder how they see the world and if they have an idea about how the ‘world’ sees them…

34. brysislupin on February 3, 2011 at 7:57 am

Love the idea! The last one is so true
    Thanks for the update

35. mesias on February 3, 2011 at 7:56 am

tha last pic says “one crime against the humanity”.

It is so sad…….. :/

36. mikeecem on February 3, 2011 at 7:50 am

Mike thanks your sentiment! We live with system and chaos😦

37. enjadreal on February 3, 2011 at 7:48 am

wow that’s a great idea!!! just perfect for ppl who like it to paper their room with all kind of stuff (like me) xD

p.s. @the10800 and now that u’re first, do u have more cookies? what r u thinking bout the THEME of that blogpost?

38. illegalou on February 3, 2011 at 7:47 am

That’s a good idea…
    I “like” the last one in French… so true.

39. the10800 on February 3, 2011 at 7:40 am