Slight Update: Tour, Haiti, The UN, and Download To Donate

February 23, 2011

Quick shout out to Ian Rogers for the great pic from last night’s show in San Jose. It feels good to be back on the road–Chester is feeling much better, and the shows have been going well.  Last night was an interesting one.  Two shows ago, I spilled a bit of water on my keyboard; last night, a few of the keys decided to stop working.  We have a backup keyboard, but it decided to be broken as well.  So, I was forced to play the keyboard with broken keys.  While I played, I found out that if I hit the busted keys, they made an obnoxious sound…so I played the entire night changing and transposing notes on the fly–as I played and sang–to avoid the low A and A#.  It kept things interesting…fun for one night, but not something I want to do all the time!

Speaking of yesterday, I want to say a big “thank you” to all the people we met and visited with, especially the folks from the UN, UN Foundation, and Facebook.

We had a busy day–4 of the guys were in LA meeting with the UN reps, and Phoenix and I were at Facebook HQ in the Bay.  It was my first time visiting their offices; I was pretty impressed by the unassuming nature of the place, and the earnest warmth of the staff.  There are a lot of LP fans at Facebook, and although there’s no way we could meet with everyone there, I wish we could have.  Thanks to Randi and the staff for your hospitality.

As some of you saw (the link is now updated in my post below), we participated in a “Facebook Town Hall” online discussion with UN Secretary-General Ban Ki-moon, plus members of the UN Foundation to talk about the situation in Haiti, and how you can help.

People often ask, “is there something (simple) I can I do?”  Two headlines stood out to me:

First, the UN Foundation is currently engaged in a campaign that delivers solar lights to the people in Haiti.  Many are still living in tent villages; darkness provides a cover for crime and accidents.  These lights turn the sunlight (which is in no short supply) into a form of protection for them.  It’s a great campaign, and we’re excited about it.

Second, since the UN Foundation is our partner on Download To Donate, all you need to do is visit the site in order to support the UN Foundation’s effort.  Click on the link, donate $10US, and you get tons of music (you get over 60 songs right now, with more to be added on a continual basis), plus 100% of the money flows through DTD to the effort in Haiti.

Or, if you want an even simpler solution, text “RELIEF” to 41010 to donate $10.

Thanks for your help.  See you at Staples Center tonight!

1. sapnasingh95 on February 27, 2011 at 2:02 am

wish i cud donate….
    but im in need of money myself……. :(

2. kwonlitaisvip on February 26, 2011 at 9:34 am

This was my favorite night ever. I was like a foot away from you in that one photo.
    I was really scared at first going to a concert by myself but when everyone just stood there united by your words, I felt like I belonged. Thank you so much for an unforgettable night.

3. thegluelpfan on February 25, 2011 at 6:14 pm

Poor you :D You’re a real pro,you know that? :) Glad Chester’s back on track…have fun with the rest of the tour.

4. dovingbird on February 24, 2011 at 9:51 pm

…I need to meet you and shake your hand one day just for that keyboard thing. Like for serious, I’m geeking out a little (*geeking out a lot*). That’s freaking awesome and I wish I could have been there to see the glory take place or something.

Everything else mentioned here is awesome too, but you already had an obscene amount of respect from me for that. But the KEYBOARD thing. That makes the Commercial Music major happy.

-Dovingbird

5. Jason R. on February 24, 2011 at 4:22 pm

Hey Mike,
    Just wanted to say I had an absolute blast at the LA show last night! I’m the guy who requested “Wretches & Kings” during the LPU Meet & Greet and I still can’t get over the fact that you changed up the set list and played it – thanks for that! It’s my favorite song on A Thousands Suns, so I really do appreciate that you agreed to play it last night.

6. lapkoola on February 24, 2011 at 1:31 pm

Mike! =)
    I’ve been there on the facebook chat, there were almost 100 people from all over the globe (and over 700 was watching you live) which was pretty awesome!
    But it’s a shame that the chat ended so quickly, we had so many questions to ask!
    Anyway, it is necessary for you to still remind the world about the Haiti’s drama, cause people tend to forget so easily about other people’s problems…
    (and I would give everything to see your puzzled face when the keyboard turned his back at you =P)
    Hugs =)

7. Whitney on February 24, 2011 at 1:19 pm

Mike, it was an honor to meet you/the band at the M&G last night and to attend your exhilarating show afterward! I mentioned that I was writing a review for NeonTommy.com and I hope you’ll forgive me if I overstepped my bounds in asking you guys to comment. I was told not to use anything from the M&G and I have honored that. The last thing I want is to upset my favorite band right before their show. I’ve done my best to make it up to you guys by writing a review worthy of your music. Please have a look for yourself here and pass it along if you like it!

8. ellzworth on February 24, 2011 at 1:15 pm

Staple Center’s show was A-M-A-Z-I-N-G:
    [IMG]http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b264/eworth/Concerts/IMG_1884.jpg[/IMG]

9. brysislupin on February 24, 2011 at 9:54 am

Hi Mike!!
    Im sorry about the keyboad :P and happy that Chester is feeling better and that you guys are back on the road!
    Thanks for the update and I truly hope we can help all the ppl in Haiti
    Btw love the pic <3

10. bobbyn32 on February 24, 2011 at 9:52 am

hey mike! Just wondering if theres any way i can download and donate for haiti over here in the uk? The website doesn’t seem to let me do it :L

11. Colorize The Future on February 24, 2011 at 9:12 am

Good News about Haiti & Chester.
    Now is your Keyboard clean.
    And infected mushroom call you “LinkinG Park” hahaha

12. larissaevelynrm on February 24, 2011 at 7:31 am

So good that Chez is better, I was really worried about an erroneous news that reached us, saying that he had meningitis.
    Our Mike, the keyboards are a plot against you (laughs)
    Well, you override it.
    Know the Facebook should be a pretty crazy experience.
    I wish strength to all those angels who are working to Haiti.
    And that awful little envious of someone who may be near you.

Kisses from your fan!

13. mikeecem on February 24, 2011 at 7:18 am

Hey mikee awesome picture :) I LOVE YOUU . We’re supporting your activites

And will you tell anythink about your new video clip? I love it, thanks for everything :)

14. cincybmxlpfreak on February 24, 2011 at 7:10 am

Oh man! That sucks!! Get a new keyboard ASAP!! Haha! That realllly blows. I wasn’t able to catch the UN Foundation thing while it was live, but I watched it later in the day since it was being looped. It was very cool and informational. The solar panels sound like a great idea. It should help out a lot. :)

15. kim7huang on February 24, 2011 at 6:57 am

glad to know Chester’s fine.
    And nice pic.I really hope I could enjoy your concert one day.T T
    Although your keys were not working,your music always works.
    Have a good day,Mike

16. lppepper on February 24, 2011 at 6:44 am

“@OMGFacts
    OMGFacts
    A Russian billionaire has a YACHT that fires LASERS at PAPARAZZI cameras! Details –> http://bit.ly/hdEgDd.
    2 hours ago via plode.me Favorite Retweet Reply”

Unrelated but it completely made me think of you (and mother russia)

have fun finishing of North America!
    -Andrea

17. adiek84 on February 24, 2011 at 4:24 am

I think you should play with broken keys more often, maybe Brad and Phoenix could get rid of a few guitar strings, too. Spice up your life! I love the new video! The moment of the explosion is so breathtaking and sublime. It’s almost as if time stands still. Tell Joe, well done! XD
    It’s great that you haven’t abandoned Haiti like many others. It’s hard to stay in one place to rebuild when there are so many new catastrophes in other places. One thing that “regular” people can always do is SPREAD THE WORD! You all have Facebooks, Blogs, Twitters, Tumblrs, etc. so hit the share button, follow and retweet relief organisations, reblog their articles etc. It’s so easy to be active!

18. vickykun on February 24, 2011 at 3:06 am

broken keys? wow
    Sorry I coudn´t watch the convertation at facebook ´Cause I was working;.;

What I really wanted to know if they can affirm to me how the money is being spent. I want to know if the donations are sent to the right place, you know what I mean?

That´s all.
    Have a great tour*-*
    kiss kiss

19. dorito82 on February 24, 2011 at 1:27 am

Mike!!! I already sent you a tweet, but, once again, AWESOME show at Staples… It seems like your keyboard (the back-up one, yes?) decided to cooperate cause I couldn’t hear anything wrong with the music at all.

I’ve only been to handful of rap concerts, but, you, by a longshot, are the best live rapper I’ve seen.

20. tinalein76 on February 24, 2011 at 1:05 am

Hi Mike .. Thank you that you are holding us up to date, that’s great ..
    I’m happy it Chester doing better and you feel comfortable on stage.
    You have posted a great picture I like that. That’s not good with the keyboard, but do such things can happen, that’s human:) There were many LP fans on Facebook, I was cool:) I wish a great tour and have fun :)
    Greetings from Germany. Tina :)

21. Shinoda's Army on February 24, 2011 at 12:53 am

These are the news I love to read

22. slowlearner32 on February 23, 2011 at 9:49 pm

Mike, I’ll follow you ;)!

23. argol8489 on February 23, 2011 at 9:38 pm

cool … no excuses for not helping. is a bit stressful the unexpected passing your work tools … but you are always looking for alternatives, it speaks of a creative mind … obviously … you’re a genius.

24. mikejueo on February 23, 2011 at 9:08 pm

Thanks so much Mike!!! It is awesome that u jumped into the crowd. remember to take the panda I gave u during the M&G. Stay blessed!

25. milasouza11 on February 23, 2011 at 7:31 pm

Mike…
    I’m pround of you!

GoD Bless you <3
    Kiss *—*

@milasouza11 (camila)

26. rockymtnbrenda on February 23, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Thanks for the update Mike, and the Facebook event was super cool. I will definitely donate the $10 for the download and also plan to look into the solar light program. Thanks for all you do. Can’t wait to see you in Denver. 3 days!

27. fabiolaa_sc on February 23, 2011 at 6:34 pm

You are great MIke, really :)

28. shayadams on February 23, 2011 at 6:22 pm

I just got my first pay check today from my new job, so I am officially NOT broke! XD I’m going to donate first thing tomorrow after I open a bank account :D I cant wait to hear the track you guys made! I really appreciate all you guys do, for both your fans and people in need. So, I get to help AND get something special in return! XD <3

29. Ally on February 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Sorry about the keyboard problems.

Thanks for the info about the Download to Donate.

30. Alexandra Nofi on February 23, 2011 at 6:09 pm

Just think, had that keyboard broken ten years ago at your first show on your first tour, your reaction probably would’ve been completely different, likely flustered.

Neither you or I grew up during the sixties, however, I do see a slight resemblance between John Lennon’s activism and the activism of Music For Relief. I do believe it is fair to refer to MFR as activism. You are being active in the world. You are telling the world what they do not want to hear: Save these people. No country, no group of people should be forced to go it alone. We create development in society when we rally together, and we owe it to ourselves as a people, to help each other.

31. kelly jean on February 23, 2011 at 5:52 pm

awesome! That’s way cool that they could collab with Facebook like that. Unfortunately I couldn’t take part in the chat as I was flying back from San Diego 8)