Matt Pinfield is awesome.

March 19, 2011

Matt Pinfield is a human wikipedia of music history and information.  Very few people I can think of know their stuff better than this guy.  I grew up watching him on MTV, and getting schooled by him as a viewer. I used to wonder if he’s just well-prepped by a staff or something, but a few interviews with him reassured me that he is exactly as sharp as he seems.

Now, every time we see him to do an interview, I look forward to it.  I feel confident that the questions are going to be smart and well-researched, and it’s going to dip into some topics that most interviewers don’t know enough to ask about.  Because the dude knows his stuff, and he shows artists the respect of knowing about them well before he sits down with them.

That said, it’s awesome that he’ll be returning to 120 Minutes on MTV.  Good call, guys.  Matt is one way to put the “M” back in MTV.

1. KalyeSound on March 20, 2011 at 7:29 am

Mike, in case you are bored… just watch this video from Justin B.
    [Youtube=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dSbTaRLwrhA]

2. linkinsoldiers on March 20, 2011 at 6:50 am

Happy Birthday Chester Bennington greets from Argentina

3. traunguyen on March 20, 2011 at 6:41 am

” Matt is one way to put the “M” back in MTV” <= i like this :)
    And, Mike Shinoda is awesome ^^

4. joesfan007 on March 20, 2011 at 5:30 am

haha yeah “Matt is one way to put the “M” back in MTV” its so true..

5. emilycarlos on March 20, 2011 at 4:01 am

Hey mike, I’m a big fan :D
    I wanted to know if Linkin Park are going to come to Israel again, I would love you to get in my blog :D

6. sloboda89 on March 20, 2011 at 3:26 am

Find something familiar?

P.S. This man is cool

7. thegluelpfan on March 20, 2011 at 3:18 am

Wow you mean MTV is actually doing something music related and not some lame reality?Well it was about time.

8. smoshee on March 20, 2011 at 3:00 am

Change the world…
    change the way you think…
    Please like… :)

9. counter17 on March 20, 2011 at 12:47 am

gr8 now there is moderation and i will never be able to ask this

10. counter17 on March 20, 2011 at 12:47 am

(continued)
    I recently just uploaded a live LP cover song (My December)
    That too with just my accoustic guitar and my vocals.
    But it got deleted due to WBcopyrights
    I mean there are a thousands of suns(:p people)
    who upload official music videos and teach how to play ur stuff
    and i just did a cover that too had no samples or anything from original track.
    i mean is it illegal
    my own cover, not for any money benefits
    just for love and fun

I love music and want to enjoy
    I konow im sounding stupid

• aruehmer on March 21, 2011 at 4:32 pm

from LP management:

It looks like you deleted the video on your own. The record label and YouTube will allow you to upload an LP song. Try posting it again. You may get a notice again that says that Warner Bros. Records is trying to claim the content of your video. That’s ok. You don’t have to do anything. It’s just a backend thing and won’t affect you. I hope this helps.

11. counter17 on March 20, 2011 at 12:45 am

I recently just uploaded a live LP cover song (My December)
    That too with just my accoustic guitar and my vocals.
    But it got deleted due to WBros. Copyrights
    I mean there are a thousands of suns(:p people)
    who upload official music videos and teach how to play ur stuff
    and i just did a cover that too had no samples or anything from original track.
    i mean is it illegal
    my own cover, not for any money benefits
    just for love and fun

I love music and want to enjoy
    I konow im sounding stupid

12. counter17 on March 20, 2011 at 12:44 am

Mike is the one person who everyone should follow
    Really nice person

But i wanted to ask something more serious
    If u read this mike pls reply (even the fans can answer if they know it)

here it is

13. dorito82 on March 20, 2011 at 12:09 am

His enthusiasm for what he does used to scare the crap out of me when I’d watch him on MTV! HA

14. cctjehh on March 19, 2011 at 11:41 pm

I hope they’ll send out on MTV netherlands too (:
    That would be so dope… ;D

15. betty108 on March 19, 2011 at 4:35 pm

I just wish the ‘M’ for “Music” would be brought back into MTV… I’ve never really watch MTV anymore, but I’ll make an exception for this guy.

16. brysislupin on March 19, 2011 at 2:57 pm

Pinfield is made of awesome! His brain just works in a special way. He always was a reference for me when I was trying to know deep stuff about the musicians I liked and he never disapointed me!
    Good to know we feel the same way about him.

Love from Portugal

17. starcr8zy on March 19, 2011 at 2:39 pm

I remember him! That was when MTV actually played videos….those were the days. :}

18. Alexandra Nofi on March 19, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I’m not that young but… Mr. Pinfield is likely before my time, because I do not have any memory of him.

If you want my honest opinion? Maybe it’s the angle of the picture but I think he is very creepy looking O___O

19. lillyhfg on March 19, 2011 at 1:28 pm

for us:

MIKE SHINODA IS AWESOME.

you are a really good person and a “pattern to be followed” :))

20. adiek84 on March 19, 2011 at 1:23 pm

I don’t know the guy very good, but it’s always great for us fans to read/watch an interview with better questions than “How did you get the band name?”! Apparently some interviewers don’t even check the bio on your website or just google you. Props to Matt, as he seems to be very adept in his job, and congrats for returning to MTV.

21. Rana LP addict on March 19, 2011 at 12:05 pm

Way cool Mike!!! Too bad i’ve never heard of him :/

22. cincybmxlpfreak on March 19, 2011 at 12:04 pm

Cool! :)

23. milasouza11 on March 19, 2011 at 11:33 am

I could see this guy is example for you. How much he was important to you.
    I think it happens the same thing with us. You’re an inspiration, for us (fans).
    You’re a really artist, who cares with other people. And you make a change
    everyday, with songs, messages, thoughts.
    I can’t explan why i love you so much, i did a tatto of your face. Next month, I’ll other tattoo about you ( just to show you, my love).
    The people tell me, I am crazy.. but i really don’t care.

Have a great weekend!
    TE AMO!

by: @milasouza11 Camila from Brazil

24. mikeecem on March 19, 2011 at 11:25 am

mike shinoda is awesome

25. lorenalp on March 19, 2011 at 11:13 am

cool!

26. Claudia B. on March 19, 2011 at 11:11 am

I wish I could know a lot of stuff like this guy O___o