Why @Sonos Might Be The Best Piece Of Music Gear I Own

March 27, 2011

I rarely post about stuff that I buy–mostly because it’s music gear that 99% of the people reading this blog wouldn’t care about even if they understood what it does (Yes, I’m talking about you, Neko).

But I just got something that I can’t stop talking about, for two reasons: 1.) because I’m appalled that I didn’t have the sense to try it out sooner, and 2.) it’s literally changing the way I listen to and find new music.

Friends have been telling me to try out SONOS for months, and I kept putting it off.  I remember Joe Hahn saying something like, “you really need to try this.  It puts your entire music library, plus all kinds of online stations and stuff in any room you want, and it’s really easy.”  Someone else knew I love Pandora, and told me, “If you use Pandora, you have to get SONOS, because they work really well together.”

The Sonos website calls the product “a wireless multi-room music system unlike any other. One that sets up instantly and expands effortlessly.”  There are basically two types of player units they offer: one that plugs into your existing stereo, and one that is independent (it has speakers).

Add a little internet connection, and each of these little guys allows you the option to listen to: iTunes library, Pandora, IHeartMusic, Sirius, Last.FM, Spotify, Napster, Rdio, a bunch of other music services, and what seems to be any radio station–terrestrial or internet–from anywhere in the world.  Flip between alternative stations in Australia and France, dance stations in the UK, and local music from the Caribbean and Hawaiian Islands; listen to your iTunes playlists; search music on Spotify.  All your playlists, favorites, stations, songs, and virtually every bit of information is available and editable when you turn it on.

If you look at the units, you’ll notice that there aren’t really any buttons.  They sell a Sonos remote…but, after a quick download from the App Store, you can use your iPhone, Android phone, iPad, or iPod Touch for FREE.  I love this part.  I can be anywhere in the house, and I don’t need to go over to the unit or my computer to change the song–I just pull out my phone.  That part is just as easy as Apple’s “remote” in a sense (which I was using before)…but “remote” only controls iTunes; Sonos allows you to access a lot more.

Each of the players run from $350-$500 new.  The app for your phone is free, as is an app for your desktop or laptop computer.  There are a few other optional devices that enhance the experience.  All of it can be found at http://sonos.com/

1. jagta on April 8, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Mike your too good on infomercials…Maybe if you’re not a rockstar you’ll surpass him.LOL

2. vanrok on March 30, 2011 at 11:16 am

lol this is pure publicity ,make’s me think you are sell out wtf :)),if you wanted to shows us some gear,shows us more of ur home studio :P

3. aline4lp on March 30, 2011 at 6:00 am

Hey everybody,
    VOTE FOR LP ON FUSE.TV, BATTLE OF THE FANS!!!
    Please share this, so LP won’t loose again like at MTV!!!

4. tedjustinyu on March 29, 2011 at 1:57 pm

I guess I’m in the 1%, i love the studio pictures, your MPC video, Joe’s setup and the Neko. Did you just totally replace your Triton in studio and on tour with the Neko or is it just laying around somewhere collecting vintage synth dust. Time to save up (or take a second mortgage) to get myself a Sonos and a Triton; or even a Neko while I’m at it…

5. todraw on March 29, 2011 at 9:28 am

Hi mike i tried some rap over the instrumental it doesn’t work that would it be possible for you to make rap beat also out of it, so there would be two version that would be cool wouldn’t it?^^

6. zoscha on March 29, 2011 at 8:16 am

I wish more people here would be interessted in your music gear, because i do and i would love to hear more from you about that.
    i’m also interessted in your NeKo xxl and how everything on there works, it looks pretty interessting and gives you a lot of opportunities.
    Invite me for a day, you can show me everything then ;-) ^^

7. coliinreiid on March 29, 2011 at 7:30 am

I just had a thought Mike. You know how that the public do unboxings/reviews on Youtube for the latest technology? You should maybe do that once and a while on your BLOG? Maybe to do with music or like the 3DS you just bought? Just a thought, would be cool to see!

8. lp1990 on March 29, 2011 at 5:58 am

that real cool mike i herd about that system hehe they are real cool hehe

9. hallibennoda on March 29, 2011 at 5:32 am

pretty interesting dude. you have my permission (and sanjenna’s!) to rave on about anything that you feel like- especially technology! that’s some hardcore kit dude! can you give us a demo (put one of your songs on it!). that would be awesome! me and sanjenna are still your biggest fans ( we have the lyrics for all the linkin park, fort minor and dead by sunrise tracks- in our heads!) lovin’ a thousand suns ( and meteora, hybrid theory, collision course, reanimation….!)

stay awesome!

10. vishnu babu on March 29, 2011 at 4:58 am

11. Julian on March 28, 2011 at 11:53 pm

My home is small…

12. aline4lp on March 28, 2011 at 9:23 pm

Keep on voting guys!!!
    Paramore are about to win 52% to 48%,
    We definitly can’t accept that!!!

13. lppepper on March 28, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Damn it Mike! I saw music gear and I thought you were going to give me your favorite parametric equalizer or outboard preamp or something!! trying out a new Orpheus even..

If you’ll humor me, Pooch showed me the Genelecs he mixes the show from and the Adamson array you guys run the tour with on the Digi Venue D-Show , but I’m curious what you use at home? Console wise, Fairlight, SSL, Digi based or other? Any analog boards hidden away? Perhaps some PMC monitors or maybe loyalty to the Genelecs?

I don’t mean to talk shop, I’m just curious how my favorite artists prefer to reproduce their own music and how they intend to hear their music under the most ideal circumstance.
    -Andrea

14. ashtino on March 28, 2011 at 1:54 pm

Sonos is an amazing product! We have it around the entire house, and it’s really cool. I also love the fact that you can plug an ipod in and play songs anywhere you have speakers.

15. 3infinity on March 28, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Oh my gosh this is amazing. How come I’ve never seen this before. Truly a handy piece of music gear, and I love how it looks so simple. I just might get it. Would you really say it’s worth it though Mike, I mean, have you experienced any problems with it?

16. linkinparkcometocroatia on March 28, 2011 at 12:24 pm

Hi everyone. Please vote for Linkin Park in MTV March Madness:
    GO HARD ALL THE TIME!

17. cctjehh on March 28, 2011 at 12:16 pm

I’ve got the feeling that man’s standing for a green screen. ^^
    anyways I’d actually love if you’d talk about the music gear etc. you buy! I mean A lot of midi-samplers etc. are so expensive… you just really have to be sure you like what you buy because (most people) won’t be able to buy a lot of music gear…

I was thinking about the Teenage Engineering’s OP-1 Instrument… (:

18. lapkoola on March 28, 2011 at 10:39 am

Mike,
    Although I have some problems with adding comment, I need to share my thoughts about Issio Ni with you, maby here it’ll add.
    The track is great, it sounds like from an old-samurai-era in modern version.
    I think that rapping doesn’t fit here, the track needs a soft vocal or something. Unfortunately I don’t know how to remix but I think it would’ve been the best option, anything else would spoil the mood.
    Hugs =)

19. aline4lp on March 28, 2011 at 10:35 am

Great, Mike ;)
    But I don’t have such a big house where I can use that :(
    By the way THE VOTING OF THE NEXT ROUND MTV MUSICAL MARCH MADNESS STARTED!!!
    Linkin Park are up against Paramore so VOTE LIKE CRAZY here:

20. dovingbird on March 28, 2011 at 10:29 am

Mike Shinoda, You are such a nerd and I LOVE it. You have my permission to rant about absolutely anything like this, especially if it has anything to do with music. You can be sure that at least one person will both understand it and devour it voraciously.

That being said, God, that’s expensive for a poor college student like me who can barely afford her dang tuition, but it sounds incredibly nifty. If it’s not obsolete in ten years or so when the infinitely frugal musician here can finally get on her feet, then I might have to check it out.

-Dovingbird

21. darla1992 on March 28, 2011 at 9:24 am

i just wanna say thank u to linkin park. thank u for ur music and positive thoughts.ive followed u since the beginning.first heard u when i was 8 became a huge fan when ii was 11 =)ur music is the thing that keeps me going thank u =) <3333

22. galinmitev on March 28, 2011 at 7:30 am

Hey,
    Hey, Mike I think you’ll like the “Wretches And Kings” Video that I made:

23. mikeecem on March 28, 2011 at 6:38 am

amazing, thank you

24. evooba on March 28, 2011 at 5:24 am

Wow! That looks pretty interesting. I’m so gonna convince my dad to get one since we both listen to radio stations from around the world and iTunes isn’t enough lol Thx for the info! :)

25. jowa96 on March 28, 2011 at 4:43 am

Very interesting … I think that such a device in the home is very useful because, for example, when I’m in the kitchen and hear a song that I don’t like, I don’t have to go specifically to the room to switch to another. enough that you pulled out the phone and changing the song. :) very useful device:)

26. lpfmfan on March 27, 2011 at 10:28 pm

Damn you Shinoda, that IS interesting…I’d totally love to have one now. My dad would love it also, streaming internet music especially those from our home country my dad would LOVE. Not to mention expanding our music selections when we have parties. Gah, definitely recommending this to my parents. Thanks.

Ana

27. dorito82 on March 27, 2011 at 10:21 pm

If I’m understanding this correctly, SONOS would be great for dept. stores. You know how some dept. stores have music playing on each floor. I don’t know, though.

28. shivani94 on March 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Hmmm.. Seems really interesting. Thanks 4 sharing mike.

29. slowlearner32 on March 27, 2011 at 8:35 pm

Party Mode FTW!

30. claudiadyogteva on March 27, 2011 at 8:29 pm

OMG that is SO cool!

31. kathyxx on March 27, 2011 at 7:15 pm

I love gagetry like this.

This is definitely going in my future castle.

32. betty108 on March 27, 2011 at 6:50 pm

Didn’t you present a Crunchie award in ’09, in which Sonos was a nominee for the best new gadget??
    I don’t know if it’s the same thing, but I thought you’d be interested enough by all the magic and “pizzaz” that you actually talked about while presenting to give the gadgets a shot…
    Back to the point, it looks pretty interesting but I’ll have to wait until it gets a bit cheaper :)

33. cincybmxlpfreak on March 27, 2011 at 5:28 pm

Oh. My. God. That is probably one of the most amazing things I’ve ever seen!! Wowwww….I can’t wait til Sonos goes mainstream and it only costs about $150. :D

34. Alexandra Nofi on March 27, 2011 at 4:41 pm

This is the coolness of the iPad, iPhone and iPod combined times ten.

I’m not as big on gadgets as you are… Though I do like that phone that hooks into the laptop thing, it’s really interesting. But, I do think this Sonos is way cool. I guess the no buttons thing isn’t that far off from the iPad, which has no buttons either. I do very much like things without buttons, because buttons get stuck or fall off. If you are careful, it’s hard to ruin a 300-500 dollar touch screen.

You would LOVE the embroidery sewing machine I work with at my job. It displays embroidery designs on a touch screen. Though it’s MSRP is $9,500.

35. Ally on March 27, 2011 at 4:15 pm

Well I did read it (and watched the YT video), and I did understand it if that makes ya feel better.

It sounds really interesting though x).

36. burningjavhy on March 27, 2011 at 3:49 pm

EXCELLENT

37. milasouza11 on March 27, 2011 at 2:49 pm

very interesting …

38. janemari3 on March 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm

oh… you kept putting it off… so what happened to SONOS was like what some people did to you guys when you were starting your band? :P

this is a great system! i have one question though.. can it play different music in each rooms?

Love you Mike! Love LP!!!

39. ololoimle on March 27, 2011 at 1:35 pm

just one almost offtop question:
    Google Music is going to be run soon, so what do you think about it?
    (i mean , maybe it could ruin some sites like last.fm and all)
    ^^

40. linkinparkette on March 27, 2011 at 1:32 pm

that is really cool… its like almost better than an ipod.. i can tell my brother about it. i know he likes his music and he wouldnt have to get on his computer or xbox just to play it.. same with my younger brother.. be really good for my mom… shes now starting to listen the new stuff o.o and old stuff. the best gift is music :3

hehehehe there is an album on there called l.p. :3

41. Colorize The Future on March 27, 2011 at 1:25 pm

Nice!

42. Michael Gonzalez on March 27, 2011 at 1:04 pm

Pretty interesting stuff, but it’s not for me. Too much technology can feel and get a little overwhelming for me.