Art I like: James Roper

March 30, 2011

Here are a couple images from UK-based artist James Roper’s new show, “All and Nothing” at Joshua Liner Gallery from April 12 to May 7, 2011.

In the artist’s words, “I use themes taken from religious iconography specifically influenced by the Baroque period and it’s dynamic use of the human body, billowing cloud formations, the voluminous folds in fabric and architectural structures to depict a heightened version of reality.”

I like it because it looks like a Marvel Comic book on acid.

More after the jump

More info HERE

1. larissaevelynrm on April 3, 2011 at 3:57 pm

is different
    no sense when one sees the image
    do not know in what is inspired
    but after reading the idea of ​​the artist is very nice

MIKE I’m so out of time to follow them😦
    LUV LP ♥_♥

2. starcr8zy on April 1, 2011 at 9:00 pm

Nice mind trip. I love the second one :}

3. cincybmxlpfreak on April 1, 2011 at 8:15 am

Very cool. Btw…Marvel pwns.😀

4. vishnu babu on April 1, 2011 at 4:40 am

nice photos😀

5. jozzie8 on April 1, 2011 at 3:35 am

Exactly I can’t even tell what the 1st picture is. Are there two bodies? I don’t see any heads.

6. hallibennoda on April 1, 2011 at 1:11 am

On acid is an understatement!
    Hi everyone (don’t you just hate it when people comment after you and act like they didn’t even see yours-WTF?)

Lovin’ the art- I think I like the last one the most. It’s like every time you look at the work, you see something different- another dimension to the art. I suppose that’s what makes it awesome- just like the glorious excess pieces. You can never get tired of looking at them and each time they draw you in deeper.
    When can we expect some more art off you, mike?

7. htx2m3bc on March 31, 2011 at 11:37 am

Do gotta agree with everyone. They are trippy… but the way they catch your attention. =It’s by far one of the best I have seen. What they remind me of is, the world bauled up into a ball of all sorts of beautiful colors of clay along with comic characters and the result being “All or Nothing”. AWESOME CREATION. Thanks for sharing…. :~)

8. shivani94 on March 31, 2011 at 8:23 am

really nice paintings😀

9. mikeecem on March 31, 2011 at 8:10 am

it seems wonderful! and they are like your art😛

10. faintypainty on March 31, 2011 at 8:06 am

strange, colourfull and very nice, but the figures na´strange!

when i see that i have many imagination, the picture is colourfull but my imagination are not as happy as the colours!

totally perv

11. lot321 on March 31, 2011 at 8:03 am

the 1st pic, m i the only one who sees boobs ??

12. vishnu babu on March 31, 2011 at 5:24 am

cool!! i love LP:D

Amazon Cloud Storage 5 Gb Free http://bit.ly/foFPbv

13. jowa96 on March 31, 2011 at 5:17 am

In my opinion, these images are very interesting. At first glance, I can see the outlines of a multi-colored, but as a good look, I noticed a lot of other things, the type of smashing up a car, or some interesting shapes, either explosions. I think the pictures are amazing and have attracted my attention.

14. evooba on March 31, 2011 at 5:16 am

Wow! I really like the last one. Great drawing ideas. It sure looks pretty interesting🙂

15. cctjehh on March 31, 2011 at 5:11 am

wooow not good when you have a headache. ^^

16. brysislupin on March 31, 2011 at 4:47 am

“I like it because it looks like a Marvel Comic book on acid”

I was thinking the same thing
    The first one makes me think about Captain America

17. ishinozuki on March 31, 2011 at 4:30 am

Interesting! thanks for sharing, Mike!😀

18. milasouza11 on March 31, 2011 at 2:13 am

UOOLLLLL…. Pretty good! oO
    I liked JAMES ROPER’s arts..especially the colors.

Talking about”arts”
    i can say my next tattoo is about it! – your arts..
    I’ll do it April 16 th…It’s soon…

Love you Mike..
    @milasouza11 camila brazil

19. Colorize The Future on March 30, 2011 at 10:50 pm

Nice.

But it’s True
    It Looks really like Marvel Comics on Acid
    And the exploding fire and Clouds Looks like Dragonball.

20. dorito82 on March 30, 2011 at 9:30 pm

I can’t decide which I like more… the first or second one after “the jump.” Probably the second one cause it seems more sinister than the first one. lol Yeah, they do look like Marvel comic books on acid! haha

21. Alexandra Nofi on March 30, 2011 at 4:59 pm

Roper’s description of his art comes across as very elitist and over-explanatory to me, and for that reason alone I am instantly turned off by him and his art.

But, one great thing I get out of this blog is when you recommend artists. It gives me a chance to scope out what is going down on the other side of the country. I love New Haven dearly but I am tired of being glued to that city. I’m even tired of being glued to the United States. This is probably why most of the musicians I enjoy listening to, come from South Korea.

22. tommyabella on March 30, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Wow I like it (;

23. dovingbird on March 30, 2011 at 4:01 pm

You WOULD like these.

Christ, they’re weird. I wish I could make more sense of them than I can, but my brain just sort of shut down on the side of the road the instant I began to gander. Not my cup of tea, gotta be honest. But that’s what’s so extraordinary about art in all shapes, sizes, and mediums.

As it is, I might not like it, but I respect the guy who did it. Stuff like that takes a lot of skill, imagination, and ingenuity to create.

-Dovingbird

24. soufex on March 30, 2011 at 2:16 pm

“marvel on acid”. haha. yeah, sounds about right.

25. kathyxx on March 30, 2011 at 2:10 pm

“On Acid” is an understatement😄

26. janemari3 on March 30, 2011 at 1:35 pm

these look great! I love the colors.. and yeah, the fact that it DOES look like Marvel on acid! thats the first thing that actually came to my mind when i saw #1 (which looks like a female captain america theme to me). I’d like one of these hangin on my wall.. or better yet, painted on it!🙂

27. kikuolen on March 30, 2011 at 1:21 pm

I love yhem. Awesome🙂

28. maryakira on March 30, 2011 at 1:20 pm

This is really awesome! I also loved the colors😀 Amazing

29. millalp94 on March 30, 2011 at 12:35 pm

wow awesome paintings !:D

30. lorenalp on March 30, 2011 at 12:32 pm

cool drawings

31. adiek84 on March 30, 2011 at 12:16 pm

You’re so right – Marvel on acid! I’ve never heard of him, so thanks for the recommendation. Talking about the UK, D*Face is coming to your city! You should definitely check out his solo show “Going Nowhere Fast” at Corey Helford Gallery, because the stuff he posted online looks sick! I hope you like insects…XD
    Also, I want to remind everyone that I’m running an art contest on my blog. The deadline is tomorrow, but you don’t have to create a new piece, just send in a picture you already have. For more information click on my name! I hope it’s okay, that I promote the contest on your blog. I thought with you being an artist yourself, you probably don’t mind.

32. drichester on March 30, 2011 at 12:14 pm

Very interestingly, these drawings!

33. tinalein76 on March 30, 2011 at 12:13 pm

Great picture do you like Mike, have a great day🙂
    My favorite is the fourth picture🙂

34. ahobbit22 on March 30, 2011 at 12:05 pm

This is really trippy… I love it!!