How to Get Attention The Right Way

June 6, 2011

Yesterday at the show, a group of fans tracked Chester down.  After a quick exchange, they handed him an iPod Touch, and said, “We’re in a band called Beta State, and we’d be honored if you guys would check out our music.”

They handed him their demo on an iPod.

After the show, Chester told us what had happened, and showed Phoenix and me the iPod.  In Phoenix’s words, “at this point, it almost doesn’t even matter what their band sounds like–they obviously get it.”  Their album, art, and four professional-looking videos were all on the iPod, which was customized for the viewing and listening experience.  When we first turned it on, there was a personal note, addressed to me (see video above).

If you’re going to try to get noticed, you’ve got to be able to put yourself in the shoes of the person you want to get noticed by.  You have to think to yourself, “How often do they get asked questions like the one I’m asking?  How do I make myself stand out?  How I do put my best foot forward?”  Beta State knows the value of a standout connection.  We’ve received demos on similar devices before, but it’s never been so thorough and so thoughtfully put together as this one.

You may say, “I want to promote my band, but I can’t afford to give away iPods.”  Exactly.  Any thoughtful person who receives this gift will recognize the effort and sacrifice that potentially comes with it.  This iPod was obviously used, but clearly, Beta State can’t do this for everybody.  If they wanted to hand me an iPod, how many chances would they get to do that?

They chose a single connection that mattered to them, and they made a huge effort.

And I realize that, as I’m telling this story, there will be people out there who are inclined to copy this band’s move, and try to give us iPods with their music on them.  If you do that, you’re missing the point, and we won’t accept them.  It’s about being the first one to get it right.

Have a thoughtful presentation, put in the effort, and you can get people’s attention.  And as Phoenix said, it almost doesn’t matter what your band sounds like.

But lucky for Beta State, this is what it sounds like:

Go here to check out more of their music, videos, photos, and info: http://betastatemusic.com/Beta_State_v2.2/Home.html

1. mrbal on February 11, 2013 at 12:56 am

Hello, greeting from Romania, we was opening act to you in June, PhenomenOn Band from Bucharest and that was to us a dream come true, we want to speak with you, but it was no possible, so we send to you a stick with our music.
    Today , we want to wish you ” Happy Birthday” , and a lot of great songs!!!
    We hope to sing someday again on the same stage.
    I hope that you like our last single.
    Enjoy:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpzXy5LxoY4
    Greetings from Romania

2. mayank542 on July 23, 2011 at 9:05 am

hey mike
    i am a big fan of urs.ok actully i am planning to hold a battle of band as band and all are not quite popular here but there r good bands here just need an oppurtunity .and i really want to do somthing fr our county in my on way and what better .so i jst wish if u can be the judge in this.as we knw due to ur busy routine u might not come but so i was planning we can have u connected by skype or(i am still serching) and have u there.u knw having u will in spire many ppl to participte as they wont fell it like an other stupid competion .i m jst 19 but really want to help
    i am frm kolkata.and really want to bring a change in the music scene here hope u will respond mayankgarg1@com

3. minouh82 on July 3, 2011 at 11:47 am

ATTENTION Mike! I’m sending this, because this is _really_ important.
    I’m a little red haired girl from Finland, the land of snow and Santa Claus. I live in small town called Pori.
    I work at (a probaply worlds smallest?) pizzeria, where I’m wasting my talents as a singer and other performances. My voice would match perfectly with yours, so thats why I’m writing this.
    You should _r e a l l y_ check me out!
    I don’t have an opportunity to make any demo or anything to send anyone, because lack of money.Sad but so true. Sounds desperate, but thats what I am. I’ve got nothing to loose.
    minouh82@hotmail.com to hear more.
    Thanks for reading!
    -LauraH-

4. thegluelpfan on June 18, 2011 at 6:03 am

Now that’s what I call people that know what they want and promote themselves in the right way.Good luck to Beta State :)

5. xiarhlotte03 on June 17, 2011 at 6:52 pm

wow… they’re great!!! and so u r mike, for giving them dt importance dt they desrve…

6. helazahg on June 13, 2011 at 8:44 pm

Wow these guys put in ALOT of effort. HEAPS OF IT!!! and man they’re good. These guys are gonna do really well out there. They are defiantly gonna get heard. And seeing as they handed you an ipod touch, im pretty sure they are NOT about the money. I really hope the rest of the world gets to here them.

7. Fekenji on June 11, 2011 at 9:15 am

I’m impressed! just it.

8. rayanlenox on June 10, 2011 at 8:06 am

+1 to Beta State’s fan club. I’m going to chech their web-site for sure. Well done Beta Sate. You fought, you won!!! My congratulations.

Thank you LP for sharing their video, I think they deserved it. *gone to listen to Beta State*

9. tommyabella on June 10, 2011 at 3:39 am

My Artwork for Iridescent ! http://ning.it/kPfS9b

10. Radyo Plexus on June 9, 2011 at 7:55 am

They sounds cool. Not bad.

11. katt888 on June 8, 2011 at 11:37 am

These guys are really talanted. It was a great idea to use an IPod. =)
    You’re so right and I agree 100% with you.

12. kathyaralp on June 8, 2011 at 4:21 am

always impressed me with you, it’s incredible sensitivity to the world of you and your fans! I think that is why the world is simply in love with you guys, why do you deserve
    (excuse any mistake in writing, is I’m Brazilian ^ ^ q)

13. adrianrobison on June 8, 2011 at 1:38 am

Adrian from Beta State here… just wanted to say “thank you” Mike and LP on behalf of our entire band for not only checking us out, but being gracious enough to share our music with your fans via the video and links. The response to your blog has been overwhelmingly positive and we can’t thank you enough. LP fans are AWESOME!

THANK YOU!

14. Ashikin on June 7, 2011 at 8:21 pm

I think i clearly understand your points here. But, the way you guys treat others is captured more of my attention. I really respect that. The way you guys assisting others to be succeed just like yours, is really something that i just have to copy.

love you guys.
    Keep it up Bro! ^^

15. akismet-e6dc45582db9948a882d6fcf7146d38b on June 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Good idea. But I wonder what the wrong way is. Hmm…

16. thegrandkaidbz on June 7, 2011 at 11:06 am

17. Aditya_the_warrior_within on June 7, 2011 at 10:39 am

really nice to know this
    determination, doing it right and first – something to keep in mind always

and yes mike see this

instead of all the ‘come to my country’ torture which u often face it would be really nice of u guys if u can check that out even adam has forwarded ur management the same

everything is not always possible, good wishes and prayers are also incomparable

just another human being and true lp fan since the beginning

18. lpwretchesandkings on June 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

It sounds very cool :)

19. mohnjorrow on June 7, 2011 at 8:33 am

Mike! Please help grant this dying boys wish. He has a simple wish to meet LINKIN PARK!

Please!

Read the story and see for yourself!

20. anquala on June 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Hello, Mike. Very good that you took the time and listened to these guys work. Frankly, I do not really like the music of this type, but the guys still great. Good luck to them.

21. jozzie8 on June 7, 2011 at 3:59 am

A big thumbs up to you guys for taking the time out to actually listen to the music rather than just throwing to the side. Respect.

22. racheliajerkface on June 6, 2011 at 10:05 pm

I was at the BFD show yesterday and felt it was necessary to commend you on not just a great performance, but the manner in which you appreciate and respect your fans. I watched as you waited after the performance to shake the hands of quite a few fans. Though it was a small gesture, I was touched by it. I just wanted to say thank you for staying humble throughout your success.

23. lpswati on June 6, 2011 at 9:51 pm

Hey Maiku! Whatever you do, you do it in an ideal and grand way dude….! :)
    Kudos! \m/ :D
    Beta State sounds cool & will soon taste success…
    And your much valuable advice is really appreciated :) :) :) <3
    Love,
    India :)

24. Braffschein on June 6, 2011 at 8:23 pm

You’re undoubtedly right. You made me think about lots of things now. Thanks.

The band is very cool :)

Thank you so much for sharing this!

25. nutritionelles on June 6, 2011 at 8:18 pm

so much better than spamming the crap out off everybody in chats and so, what a cool band (:

26. Julian on June 6, 2011 at 6:23 pm

wow

27. kathyxx on June 6, 2011 at 5:01 pm

I was camping out on the lawn when this person with a big Beta State sign with their name, their showtime and their neat feathered elephant-thing came walking out around the venue. It just got my attention so well that I wanted to check them out. They absolutely know what they’re doing, and stuff like that shows it. You’re more believable as a band when you look like you know what you’re doing.

Alas, it was my turn to watch the campsite when their set came up. My friends and I were trading off all day.

28. natibelga on June 6, 2011 at 4:39 pm

Hey guys, you don’t know how to get attention? You just need to put your music in an iCloud! Maybe they kiss you too…

29. jdennis88 on June 6, 2011 at 4:28 pm

Awesome story, and the music is pretty good too!

30. yydisco0913 on June 6, 2011 at 3:30 pm

that’s cool. I think I’m touched by their effort and sound.Hoping those who want to be like you guys would realize the message you hint.

31. linkinparkette on June 6, 2011 at 2:45 pm

that is so cool =]
    the song sounds cool :3

32. adiek84 on June 6, 2011 at 2:42 pm

Beta State’s iPod must be really cool when they get your attention, cause I guess that you get CDs, iPods, etc. from upcoming bands thrown at you all the time. Also very nice of you to reward them with a blog post that will get them lots of promotion.
    I wanna add that all the iPods you don’t accept, can be send to me instead. I will even listen to the music once, before I put new stuff on it, I Promise.

33. boger7lp on June 6, 2011 at 2:27 pm

this kind of music I’ve never liked because I do not propose anything

but I wish them luck

34. allabthair9801 on June 6, 2011 at 2:23 pm

My son and I have been fans since we heard Beta State on live105’s Soundcheck about 6 months ago. We have seen two of their shows since and last time we were able to catch them and ask for a picture with them for my son. Let me say that they are all very excited about meeting their fans and were more then willing to snap a photo with my son. Their music is positive and they have an amazing sound. Definitely take the time to check them out live if ever in the area of where you live. They also have the had the free cd’s and wrist bands at both shows we went to which goes to show they are all about just getting heard. WE LOVE BETA STATE!!!

35. theeadore on June 6, 2011 at 1:47 pm

true true. hey… i wanted to apologize about a comment i posted in the radio section slot. saying geeze, chill out on the good music and so on. I thought soon after that it was unprofessional especially cause it was in a contest posting. my fault. have a good one everyone and congratulations to beta state.

36. saqrah on June 6, 2011 at 1:03 pm

These guys love what they do. Sure, two of them were in Strata before… but that band no longer around… nor will it ever get back together. Matt and Justin bring together Adrian and Ryan to make the amazing sound of Beta State. I have the pleasure of doing their merch and have known the guys most of my life. I am so proud of everything they’re doing and the fact that we can provide FREE full length cds to fans along with wrist bands just shows that these guys don’t want your money… they just want to be heard and do what they love. Guys, I love you and I am so lucky to be apart of something so magical. <3

37. coliinreiid on June 6, 2011 at 12:09 pm

That’s actually an clever way of getting your music out there! Surprised nobody has done that yet until now! Also that band is not half bad.

38. Nina Nine on June 6, 2011 at 12:06 pm

..have you idea what could happen if every band do that? you were swinming on ipods! :D LOL! Sorry it’s so funny! I agree with you mike. Well done!

39. lilmary24 on June 6, 2011 at 12:00 pm

Total determination of taking a chance, putting it all out there…not even knowing the outcome…I have so much respect for people like that…..& for you taking the time to share with your fans as well

40. cincybmxlpfreak on June 6, 2011 at 11:59 am

Wow. Ballsy, cute, and talented. I’m in. :)

41. myxrated on June 6, 2011 at 11:55 am

Awesome!!! We at MYX TV had the pleasure of having Beta State perform on our TV show, MYX-Rated. Check it out.

BETA STATE – “I’m Still Alive” (Live on MYX-Rated)

42. christieloveslp on June 6, 2011 at 11:51 am

Talanted people) I like this way) Good luck for)) Mike, good choise)))

43. terribletoothache on June 6, 2011 at 11:45 am

Do you realize that you will be provided of iPods by every emerging band? hahaha

44. evooba on June 6, 2011 at 11:34 am

Wow! They did make a lot of effort to achieve their goal and that’s amazing. I like your perpective of thinking. You’re so right and I agree 100% with ya. Authenticity is the key right? :)

45. doughboii12 on June 6, 2011 at 11:32 am

I remember these guys from when they called Strata. They had a different singer then & the music was a little heavier. You should check em out on Youtube. They put out 2 decent albums.

46. millalp94 on June 6, 2011 at 11:29 am

it’s so awesome that you’ve made this video and this blog :)

the band will get more listeners or even more fans:D I guess that will really helps :D your awesome Mike :D LP<3

47. guuuro on June 6, 2011 at 11:28 am

Cool!
    I’ve heard a couple of songs now, and it made me more relaxed. I’m so stressed about an exam I have at wednesday that I don’t understand nothing of. I really liked their music!

48. BlackChester on June 6, 2011 at 11:24 am

def. worth a listen… and a good way to show, that they’re fighting for what they love… great effort!

49. originalshoes96 on June 6, 2011 at 11:23 am

Thanks for the advice! Never thought it that way. You’ve got to be able to put yourself in the shoes of the person you want to get noticed by <- totally true. Beta State seems to be a nice band.

50. Sam RckrGrl on June 6, 2011 at 11:21 am

Wow. That’s a really cool idea. Gonna go check out their website now

51. autumnoh12 on June 6, 2011 at 11:16 am

That is way cool! Great idea for that band to think of! It sure did work (:

52. 3infinity on June 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

How very awesome of you to di this, and they seriously did agreat job promoting this. You’re right, it’s all about being unique. Big flashy text based trailers on Youtube just don’t attract people anymore.

53. Alexandra Nofi on June 6, 2011 at 11:13 am

Very rarely do I encounter people this determined to have their music heard. They aren’t about the money. Sure, they handed you an iPod but it’s not about the money. They want to share their music with people. Sometimes it’s not about the quantity of people that hear you, it’s about the desire to bare your soul, as frightening as it may be, and then absorb the thoughts that people have.

I am a firm believer, and have been this way for years, that the best way to be noticed is to stop talking, and let whatever it is you do, speak for itself. To Beta State, I identify with that same desire to be recognized, and your honesty has caught my attention.

54. skyzlmt on June 6, 2011 at 11:11 am

HA Got to think of a better way to tell you IheartMSart then show you a pic of my room at Weenie Roast :) Can you ask Jensen to put me on the list Wednesday. @sky_z_lmt

55. sohail abbasi on June 6, 2011 at 11:08 am