My Labbit: at JANM, July 14 to Sept. 11

July 10, 2011

The “Year Of The Labbit” custom show is coming up in Los Angeles.  My hand-painted custom version of Frank Kozik’s “Labbit” will be one of the pieces in the show.  Thursday night is free to the public.  Other artists include: Camilla d’Errico, Edwin Ushiro, Stan Sakai, Yoskay Yamamoto, and of course Frank Kozik.

janm.org

1. Alexandra Nofi on July 20, 2011 at 11:50 am

Dear spraypaintninkpens:

You can call the sky green and grass blue all you want, that doesn’t make it true. You are both arrogant and audacious to think it is okay to tell someone that that they can only write a certain kind of music. He, and the rest of the band, have every right to try new styles and grow as both artists and writers. It’s not all about you and what you want. I’m an artist and writer as well, and my style today is completely different from what it was a decade ago. Stop talking to Mike, the band, and everyone else like they are less than.

2. spraypaintninkpens on July 20, 2011 at 9:55 am

Alexandra: That completely went over your head. You’re implying I’m trying to stifle creativity. I obviously respect Mike artistically or I wouldn’t have been wasting my time in the lpu and here over the past few years.With you indirectly calling me a hater or lover of nu-metal out of the way, here is my point. Old time LP fans liked the sound of guitars, rapping, screaming, energy, scratching, etc. New LP music doesn’t resemble that in any manner. No, I don’t want 15 Meteora’s, but refining what you do best is completely different than changing your entire genre and fanbase in the process. They completely abandoned their roots with this new sound Rick Rubin bestowed upon them.

3. Alexandra Nofi on July 19, 2011 at 6:20 pm

Dear spraypaintnkinpens:

So, in other words, you just want Mike to regurgitate the exact same type of song over and over again without ever trying different things or expanding his creativity. In other words, you are asking him to stop being an artist. How dare you. Maybe it’s because I respect his mind as much as I do, but, I would give anything to be inside Mike’s head for like, a minute, or two, or an hour. Why are you so hell bent on trying to screw with someone’s creativity? The band said that they were tired of waiting for a sound they weren’t hearing so, you want that type of music, go make it yourself.

4. spraypaintninkpens on July 19, 2011 at 4:29 pm

I brought it up because he signed it as LP/FM. TRT happened to be my favorite cd of all time. I’m not going to let it go because of what he previously said about FM continuing on(The making of TRT).I critique/criticize because I care. Most fans of the past, both LP and FM,have just stopped caring-I’m one of the few, here at least,voicing my displeasure with LP as of late. If he consistently made tracks like “I Have Not Begun” with LP and put them on cd’s then the complaint wouldn’t be as valid. Only getting a few lines here and there with Mike rapping and with him mainly being a singer now is disheartening.Imagine your favorite band going away and tell me you wouldn’t care.

5. skyzlmt on July 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

It is on the intertubz somewhere that MS, Chester and the rest of the band decided that all creative music will flow through LP moving forwards. Relying on their individual outlets is not as big of an option is it once was. ATS raps were pretty damn solid, plus the style was “second to none” TEHE. W&K FTW

6. skyzlmt on July 18, 2011 at 5:28 pm

It is on the intertubz somewhere that MS, Chester and the rest of the band decided that all creative music will flow through LP moving forwards. Relying on their individual outlets is not as big of an option is it once was. ATS raps were pretty damn solid. W&K FTW

7. Alexandra Nofi on July 17, 2011 at 9:18 pm

Dear spraypaintninkpens:

When someone says very clearly that they are not going to make Fort Minor music anymore, and would rather put that energy into Linkin Park music, asking for more Fort Minor is like talking to a wall. I think my irritation with your comment stems from how nothing you ever say is respectful at all. Granted, I’ve been snotty on here a few times but, as much as I loved The Rising Tied, I also respect Mike’s wishes to not make more Fort Minor music. I think it has to also do with how much I hate it when people try to control what I draw. Different media, but the behavior is the same.

8. spraypaintninkpens on July 17, 2011 at 9:07 pm

When are you making more FM music? Your raps in LP are being watered down.

9. uacademy95 on July 17, 2011 at 3:53 am

oh mike…did you know that narwals are living proof that unicorns exist? anyways, i saw the “preview” (am i allowed to call it that?) you posted a while ago and it was amazing, keep up the good work, ah who am i kidding you’ll always have amazing stuff

10. becrewrox on July 16, 2011 at 2:57 am

Hey Mike! I created the “iridescent” artwork protest against the winner who cheated. You’re also an artist so I assume you wouldn’t like to be treated the way we were. We love you but we feel disgusted. http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=568665891#!/event.php?eid=236422866376183

11. cchrist on July 15, 2011 at 4:22 am

Hey Mike,
    I thought this might be the best way to get into contact with you, I was wondering why you guys never visit The Netherlands, you know, that country with the clogs and windmills? I’d love to see you guys live sometime but I can’t afford going to France or Germany to do so. I can totally understand if it’s an issue with venues here or is it something that happened last time you were here? (Last time you were here was 2007 and 2001 was the one before that.)

It’s the clogs isn’t it?

12. sanchezjuan on July 14, 2011 at 3:02 pm

Check out this mixtape
    Please listen and Download thanks it will help my bro Professa Seus

13. thegluelpfan on July 14, 2011 at 2:26 pm

Yours is really adorable :D I hope we get to see more pictures of it

14. jovertop on July 14, 2011 at 5:47 am

hey Mike check this out :P

15. ristinw on July 13, 2011 at 8:07 pm

Very cute and it also looks like a cute cute piggy! :D

16. kim7huang on July 13, 2011 at 5:05 pm

I think this must be fun.
    Wishing I could go there.

17. mattron1000 on July 13, 2011 at 12:49 pm

Mike you’re the best! For me, the group Linkin Park is the best band in the world! Always looking forward to new shows in Russia. I express my gratitude for a thousand suns album of the whole community site htlive.net! We will be your fans forever!

18. lycon17 on July 13, 2011 at 3:00 am

19. lycon17 on July 13, 2011 at 2:58 am

20. highlandpark1999 on July 13, 2011 at 2:10 am

How come Mr.Hahn didn’t get to do a Wascally “Labbit” ?
    And I am still waiting to get my hands on the Alice in Wonderland figure!

21. mikeecem on July 13, 2011 at 12:56 am

i’m sure the best piece is yours,in this show.

22. junfender78 on July 12, 2011 at 12:58 pm

Kawaii!!! XD

23. Nina Nine on July 12, 2011 at 9:19 am

..that’s lovely and strange.. ha!

24. lenkazzz on July 12, 2011 at 1:09 am

25. mercenary18 on July 12, 2011 at 12:07 am

Dang…wish I could go. I’m so close to LA

26. lisamariemelin on July 11, 2011 at 11:47 pm

Oh! I really wanted to go! You are such a inspiring man! But i am stuck here in Sweden :(…Hey Mike! I drew a portrait of you a couple of days ago! Check it out if you want! :)

27. cuentosdebie on July 11, 2011 at 11:24 pm

Labbit habbit..!!

28. gustina05 on July 11, 2011 at 9:35 pm

wooooooowww Mike I wanna see yours :) Please please im in Argentina I cant go there to see it :( would you post a pic of your Labbit for us? :)

29. 26pj on July 11, 2011 at 8:13 pm

Nice.

30. thegrandkaidbz on July 11, 2011 at 7:56 pm

Year Of The Labbit?? Last time I checked 2011 is the year of the cobra. The Gold Cobra.

31. lis0406 on July 11, 2011 at 6:11 pm

AAAAW..I WANNA GO!!!!
    mmmm someday i will!
    kisses from Argentina Mike!

32. emzlp123 on July 11, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I wish I lived in LA! Or even America! Im sure it will be great and good luck. Looks awesome

33. nikilovelp on July 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

The best Mike!

34. joanalp on July 11, 2011 at 11:55 am

Awesome:)
    Mike you are a great artist plastic :)

35. adiek84 on July 11, 2011 at 10:30 am

Those Labbits look great! I wonder if your Labbit looks a lot different to the picture you posted here a while ago, since you wrote that it was unfinished. I think some people got confused, because there are two shows at JANM, “Year of the Rabbit” and “Year of the Labbit”, but you only contributed to the Labbit show.
    @10037 Los Angeles definitely has some awesome art shows, but quite often some great shows are right around the corner and you miss them, because you were to busy looking at stuff too far away. XD It was definitely a surprise for me when right around the corner a street art show opened with Baglione, Eine, Os Gemeos, Swoon, etc, contributing.

36. millalp94 on July 11, 2011 at 4:00 am

wow! that looks so awesome !:D

I would really give everything to be in LA …:'(

37. sabsyz on July 11, 2011 at 1:56 am

Coool ;) i would give everything to come to L.A. ……

38. 1oo71 on July 11, 2011 at 12:49 am

Everything happens in L.A.! I’d love to see your work over here one day.
    In The Gallery of Modern Art (GoMA) in Brisbane, Australia, specifically: http://qag.qld.gov.au/

In the meantime, hope lots of Los Angeles people go and see your labbit! :B

39. leenette on July 11, 2011 at 12:45 am

It’s really cute Mike :)

40. nettie21 on July 11, 2011 at 12:41 am

Nice. You always have great ideas. :)

41. originalshoes96 on July 10, 2011 at 11:11 pm

Ohh I want to be there so bad!! But I can’t because I live in Finland!! I’d love to see your Labbit. They all look really cute =)

42. anquala on July 10, 2011 at 10:56 pm

Cute. I’m sorry I cannot attend this show, since I live on the other side of the world. I’m sure it would be cool: D
    . Have a nice day

43. Alexandra Nofi on July 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

You must provide photo(s) of your painting by order of me. I don’t have the money to fly from Connecticut to California to see the art show in person.

44. dcl1982 on July 10, 2011 at 10:36 pm

HA! I was down in LA on Saturday to see the graffiti exhibit at the MOCA, and stopped at JANM to see the Year of the Rabbit exhibit though, which I could have sworn you did a piece for, but, I guess not.

My 93 year old grandmother liked the graffiti!

45. evooba on July 10, 2011 at 9:31 pm

Oh how cool! You had posted about it like 2 months ago(?) with the unfisnished piece right? Can’t wait to see it done on display :D

46. shivani94 on July 10, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Owh! Ur labbit was so good…what a pity!! I cant come and see it…

47. Ashikin on July 10, 2011 at 8:22 pm

kawaiiiii usagi-chan! kiut ^___^

go Bro GOOO!!!
    (^.^)Y

48. babygirlshinoda on July 10, 2011 at 8:20 pm

SWEET! :)

49. jershalp on July 10, 2011 at 8:10 pm

oooo… cant wait to see your work !!!!

50. Adela Phantomhive on July 10, 2011 at 7:41 pm

hmmm I should love your labbit! :D

51. skyzlmt on July 10, 2011 at 7:24 pm

It’s MINE! Will look good with the rest of my MS art collection!

52. kathyxx on July 10, 2011 at 6:59 pm

aww I though I was gonna see a picture. Guess i’ll have to wait.

53. williamlp on July 10, 2011 at 6:45 pm

Kinda of hard for me to get there cuz im from greece:P But im sure that its gonna be cool:D
    P.s( im william the kid who played faint with you guys in november at the first lpu summit:p:p:p:p) REMEMBER??

54. clbreeze on July 10, 2011 at 6:44 pm

Looks good! Seems “labbit” Chinese year in popular in LA! :-)

55. lpsnumber1 on July 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm

I might just have to go see it!!

56. brunarj on July 10, 2011 at 6:26 pm