Short Update: Secret Show, Smodcast, and OP-1

August 8, 2011

Busy busy.  Other than my occasional post from Instagram, things have been pretty busy and pretty random over here.

I recently did a podcast with my friend Jensen, who has a show on Kevin Smith’s “Smodcast” network.  It’s here.  If you want to know what’s up with Spotify, America, Kreayshawn, humble brags, and sax solos, then you have to check it out.

In other news, we’re challenging everyone to go to secretshowforjapan.com and donate to MFR / Save The Children to help kids affected by the situation in Japan.  The contest isn’t secret, but the location of the show is–and I think it’s the smallest venue we’ve played in half a decade, maybe more.  Anyone able to raise $500 will receive 2 tickets to the show.  There are special prizes for the top fundraisers, as well.  Just go to the website and start a fundraising page.

Other than that, I’m still writing.  I got a new keyboard, the OP-1 by Teenage Engineering.  Check it out:

1. oxygenjs17 on August 23, 2013 at 10:33 am

I almost break a leg while watching this video!!!!!!

2. Radyo Plexus on August 24, 2011 at 9:15 am

Unusual sound!

Musical genius makes music different. That’s why I admire your creativity, originality, and talent MIKE! Warner Music are so LUCKY!

3. thegluelpfan on August 23, 2011 at 6:03 am

For some reason my post here was not approved but anyways…the Get Up On Jensen podcast was really good and damn that little keyboard is a monster in disguise :D

4. 1oo71 on August 19, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Sensei, I really want to learn about playing with samples and electronic music, but I don’t know where to start… Perhaps your ‘How To’ section could use some more posts? :3

5. Hoffz on August 18, 2011 at 11:32 pm

Yay! Hey Mike you are doing amazing sounds in that keyboard! I want to listen that music in a Alien Against LinkinPark Video Game!

6. gustina05 on August 16, 2011 at 8:25 pm

I realized LP always make me smile…just saw the video from London when you guys did the cover of umbrella LOL very funny…a little laugh when I needed the most :)
    kisses from Argentinaa

7. stellaslayer on August 16, 2011 at 5:33 am

omg this is AWESOME!!!

8. ultimateshadow1936 on August 15, 2011 at 11:51 am

realy nice keyboard i kinda want one like that :P

9. dnartes on August 14, 2011 at 11:34 am

10. dnartes on August 14, 2011 at 11:32 am

“When they come for me” video:

11. dnartes on August 14, 2011 at 11:28 am

watche this video!

12. italianarmenian on August 10, 2011 at 4:36 pm

I hope this works… eeek!!! My kitten and I are tumbleweeds.

13. kathyaralp on August 10, 2011 at 1:30 pm

Oh congratulations on the first campaign for the kids! And second, do not know how you can move these electronic time (for me) more complicated. I do not make no sound ^ ^. More you is simply amazing!:-)

14. desperedge on August 9, 2011 at 11:15 pm

hey Mike,have you ever tried to make music with a tesla coil? It’s amazing! You can’t miss it!

15. joannehelix on August 9, 2011 at 6:53 pm

Mike! mind doing some “Mike answers some questions from fans” on your youtube channel? hope to see more videos from your youtube channel!meantime, do take care and WE LOVE YOU MIKE!

16. lis0406 on August 9, 2011 at 5:32 pm

OMG.. in one moment the image of the screen reminds me a video that i saw about “Polybious” (game of the 80) that was VERY scary.. but… the KEYBOARD IT´S AWESOME!!!

17. vickykun on August 9, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Sorry about my spam;.; I swear that this is the last one;.;

I was thinking:

If I were the manager of the band, Linkin Park would be like this:

yeahhh ;3

18. brysislupin on August 9, 2011 at 2:07 pm

Since I dont understand a thing about keyboards and stuff I´ll just go with: We missed you around here” :P

19. beatrice007 on August 9, 2011 at 10:40 am

♥ I love the images that arise of technology ♥
    Congratulations by your new acquisition :)
    … I want those sounds in LP

20. anvanoppens on August 9, 2011 at 9:16 am

Whatever happens, Colin’s always right! :) (for now..)
    ——————————————————
    COLIINREIID ON AUGUST 8, 2011 AT 10:57 AM
    LPU Chat today Mike?

21. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 2:19 am

LOLOOLOLOL. By the way….Death grips is awesome. LUUUUUUUUUUUUVS!!!!!!!

22. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 2:12 am

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. Somewhere in Texas.

23. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 2:11 am

LOL. Time is almooooossssst there. :-)

24. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 2:09 am

Oh….and it’ll never be forgotten. It’ll never go away. LOLOLOLOL Peace.

25. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 1:57 am

Oh and uh…..one more thing….NOTHING will ever make the pain go away….Except….:-} LOVE ya still kid. Never stopped.

26. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 1:53 am

And…..lol. THEY never forget. By the way……we still love you.

27. doomsdaylol on August 9, 2011 at 1:51 am

Oh and uh…..you can never run from what you know…..LOLOOOLOOLOL.

28. dcl1982 on August 8, 2011 at 9:40 pm

Trippy keyboard…lol

I was able to get spotify to work, finally, and am following you. Some of the music you like is weird, but a couple of the bands are REALLY cool!

The podcast w/Jensen was REALLY funny, btw…

29. 筱田の友 on August 8, 2011 at 7:20 pm

Where did you get it? How much? @@

30. clbreeze on August 8, 2011 at 7:19 pm

So good to see you talking about yourself, i think this is what your fans want :-)
    cool keyboard, hope you can use it to make cool music
    and Instagram is really pretty good app, there’s 60% reason of why i use it is because of you.

31. katuskaporumb on August 8, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I love to read your blog: about your working. This video,is very interesting-I thing-, not for me….See behind the music. I look forward song,which discovered these sounds.
    so strange to write music on such a keyboard … place it in a bag and sit on the beach in a secluded location in a bucket of coffee. I know this is kind of strands ….. thank you for showing :o)
    Unfortunately I can not take part in the action case. Because I am home, in Hungary help the kids, because there is a lot of troubled kids.

32. erimarika on August 8, 2011 at 6:00 pm

I almost thought you forgot about this blog :P Anyways, great to hear your updates. I enjoyed listening to your smodcast with Jensen, and your video too. I really wish I could be there at the charity show but I can’t… I hope there will be LPTV or something,even just a shortened version, for those who cannot attend.

33. Alexandra Nofi on August 8, 2011 at 5:44 pm

I seriously went through mikeshinoda.com withdrawl. I watched that OP-1 video the other day. Such a cute instrument!

I really miss your super long *cough*hair*cough* blog posts. You haven’t done one in a while. You should do something political. Something that you’ve thinking about for a while or an issue that is really important to you (something different from MFR). I know what your argument is against sharing that, but, whatever you say is gonna influence people anyways, regardless of what the subject matter is. This has nothing to do with my obsession with opening and the top of your head and looking around in there (sarcasm).

34. jershalp on August 8, 2011 at 5:41 pm

Really great of u to take out time n tell us wats cooking
    The podcast was just awesome :))

35. argol8489 on August 8, 2011 at 5:38 pm

we miss you when you are busy,

36. cincybmxlpfreak on August 8, 2011 at 3:13 pm

=-O That keyboard is awesome! I would play with that thing for hoursss. :D

37. emzlp123 on August 8, 2011 at 2:19 pm

I had Mario flashbacks listening to the tune you made on the OP-1 lol

38. vickykun on August 8, 2011 at 2:11 pm

what the…? Half of my comment have dissapeared O.Obut I was telling that i´m too busy with my job too >.<
    and that´s I was excusing about my absence

39. vickykun on August 8, 2011 at 2:08 pm

Mikey is busy busy >..<
    But that doesn´t mean that I´m tired of you nor that I´m mad at you!

You´re still my lovely kitten*-*

kiss kiss

40. gustina05 on August 8, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Oh! I have seen this keyboard on the Swedish House Mafia video! Have you Mike? anyway, I like more what you’re playing haha!

41. msjinx20 on August 8, 2011 at 1:14 pm

Next Little Nellie, huh? ;)

42. anvanoppens on August 8, 2011 at 12:22 pm

Awesome Mike! Keep up the great work and thanks for the update :)

43. adiek84 on August 8, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Hi Mike, I’ve only listened to about twenty minutes of the podcast, but it’s great. Jensen is hilarious! I agree with what you both said about Limp Bizkit. I don’t want to judge their music, cause I’ve never been a fan in the first place, but I’m definitely happy that you’ve decided to go in another direction with your music. Another thing I want to add: Germany does not want David Hasselhoff! This is a rumour he started himself. We don’t want him, take him back!
    About the not so secret show with the secret venue, I actually wondered if the smaller than small venue is your living room. That would be pretty awesome and I hope someone makes pics =D

44. kathyxx on August 8, 2011 at 12:03 pm

I like how a lot of people think that’s a new Linkin Park song or something XD.

Nifty little $750 device.

45. elmarvilino on August 8, 2011 at 11:27 am

I asked Mike at the LPU Summit if he could make more videos of the recording process, and he did! :D It’s just awesome to see video’s like that, even if it’s just a demo of a keyboard (BTW it sounds amazing) even if I don’t think that he’s done this because of me^^
    But anyway,
    just cool! :-)

46. nutritionelles on August 8, 2011 at 11:25 am

Oh cool, updates! (: I’m gonna be so unique and say something you definitely have never ever heard from anyone, but I think it’s so awesome that you guys care about others and use your popularity to raise money for people who need it the most. Comment of your life.

47. thepixelpod on August 8, 2011 at 11:15 am

cool :), how much it cost?

48. linkinparkette on August 8, 2011 at 11:08 am

yay updates :3 *rolls around* *beats up colin*

49. therosko on August 8, 2011 at 11:00 am

First thing: LOL @Colin
    Second: thanks for the update Mike and keep up the good work ;)

50. javilinkinpark on August 8, 2011 at 11:00 am