DEF SPAM: Watch The Throne.

August 10, 2011

I sat down at my laptop earlier this morning, ready to take care of a few emails before sitting down to work on some new songs.  Like most people, I always feel like I’m playing catch-up when it comes to emails.  There are always too many, and I can never make it through them all. Halfway down the screen, I clicked on one from “Kanye West,” (who I don’t know personally).

A long time ago, I remember filling my email info in on his website, in order to download some tracks he was giving away.  So I guessed the email was going to be something promotional about the new album with Jay-Z.  Instead, this is what popped up (sorry for the long screen grab, but I wanted you to get the point):

So.

Dear Record Label Dude Who Green Lit This Email,

I guess it’s too late for me to inform you, but this is a mistake people figured out like 10 years ago.  You are invited to join us in the modern world, where “spamming your fanbase” is on a level somewhere between “posting topless duckface self pics on Facebook” and “Jeezus, LulzSec just posted my confidential home and credit card information.”  You are what’s wrong with the music industry.

Def Jam appears to be the home of the culprit here.  At least, their name is at the top of the page.  It’s unbelievable: they hit me with the “If you like KANYE WEST, you’re sure to love THESE OTHER GUYS TOO?” and they have the balls to ask if I want to “ensure delivery” or “forward to a friend.”  I know who Ace Hood, Frank Ocean, and Young Jeezy are, bonehead.  If I wanted to know what was new with them, I would have gone to their websites, not Kanye West’s.

I know, you want to say: “Mike, just click the “unsubscribe.”  But the point is, what about the fans who WANT Kanye updates, but are now having to decide whether or not to unsubscribe because Kanye West is spamming them. And when they do, they get disconnected from the artist they chose to follow–and more importantly, they hesitate next time an artist asks for their email address.  Which affects the rest of us.

When I put my email address down for anything these days, it’s the equivalent of adding them on Twitter.  If my feed suddenly starts getting full of your updates on “I just ate something” and “here’s what’s on TV,” guess what?  Unfollow.

So for the record: what happened here will not happen to you when you get something on http://www.linkinpark.com.  If you go to our websites to buy, watch, or download something: we treat your information with the utmost respect.  We have no intention of frequently emailing you, spamming you, or giving your information away to a third party.  Your time is too valuable and your Inbox is too crowded as it is.

1. lpsam on September 24, 2011 at 1:41 am

a song mixed by somebody or real one by you and dmx? no matter what, it does sound good! Might have used demo lyrics by you or cut some together, you should check it out though :)

2. lpsam on September 24, 2011 at 1:39 am

hey mike: you should check this out, somebody might have remixed old lyrics by you into this, sounds good!

3. showmihomi on August 28, 2011 at 10:31 pm

it’s true about Linkinpark.com. But registering to this blog gives me tons of spam from Worldpress.com. But maybe I did something wrong.

4. 3infinity on August 26, 2011 at 11:40 am

Thanky you much for not being commercialized spammers. One of the main reason why I adore you and your band.
    Don’t ever change.

5. jinnofficial on August 23, 2011 at 8:31 pm

This is a really nice Post about a problem everybody is facing daily … but it would be nice, if the official Linkin Park Twitter page would not post such unnecessary stuff like the URL of the linkin park Homepage?
    There was a post like 7 hours ago with nothing but “linkinpark.com” and I was like “wth”, haven’t I read something in Mikes Blog about spamming? :D

6. cherrybubble89 on August 23, 2011 at 6:15 am

I’m afraid to tell you, that I had to dislike “Mike Shinoda” on Facebook today. The owner kept spamming nonsense about herself.

*looking for a bucket to puke in*

7. thegluelpfan on August 23, 2011 at 5:57 am

To be honest I really appreciate how respectful and thoughful you are regarding what you guys email to your fans cause this email that you printscreened right here is what I call selling out everything you got.It’s like “oh I have your attention with this one artist but why not try to spam with all we got anyways?”.People need to think more about what their fans might want and like…

8. jershalp on August 21, 2011 at 9:54 am

This is one of your best posts ever !!!!!
    But truly man, its really irritating hen you get such unnecessary stuff… I hope people learn from this

9. lpfan0394 on August 20, 2011 at 8:51 am

I know this is off topic but a disaster happened here in Belgium, the music festival ‘Pukkelpop’ witnessed a whirlwind. 5 people died, 3 are still fighting for their lives and hundreds of people were injured. I was one of the people who had the chance to have no injuries… physically that is. I write this because the past few days have been really sad days for me, for my friends and for all the victims and their families and friends. Mike, and everyone on this site… I hope you never witness what we have there, it was like the end of the world…

10. 1oo71 on August 19, 2011 at 10:51 pm

Off-topic, but I think it’s cool that you subscribe to other artists’ newsletters. ONE OF US!

I guess Kanye should put the effort into getting his own newsletter instead of forwarding his fans to his label’s.

When I get ‘spam’ like that, though, it personally doesn’t put me off subscribing to other artists. I’ve had enough good ones to know this isn’t the norm. All artists have a different way of interacting with their fans, so I look at it on an individual basis.

11. ericadraven33193 on August 19, 2011 at 6:49 pm

You can blame the marketing team for that, they figure “well if they like such and such artist, might as well recommend another artist”. Its all about marketing. Thank God you guys don’t do that, some websites (and music companies) do that to a point where you are so annoyed that you want to unsubscribe.

12. Anna M. Estrie on August 19, 2011 at 4:10 pm

There are always people who want to get a piece of other’s glory.

13. danibarquilia on August 18, 2011 at 5:01 am

14. kristinabe on August 17, 2011 at 5:26 pm

I support you, Mike!

15. anvanoppens on August 17, 2011 at 9:13 am

You have to wait a few months yet for your birthday wishes :)

16. tabishinoda on August 16, 2011 at 4:09 pm

Happy Birthday…

17. cityofautumn on August 16, 2011 at 1:00 pm

You know, somewhere deep in my mailbox there’s an invitation to buy what I’m pretty sure was a female hygiene product.. Unfortunately the sender wasn’t a random drugstore, but a band network site I was a member of:)
    “If you like BandZone, you’re sure to love tampons” would have made a killer slogan. Those were the days.

18. immalpfan on August 16, 2011 at 6:13 am

Mike, you are awesome. Thanks for respecting the fans and not spamming our email with spam :D That’s why i love linkinpark.com WAY TO GO LP :D

19. act75 on August 15, 2011 at 8:00 pm

20. fluffysama on August 15, 2011 at 1:56 am

Wats up mike! I dont kno if ull get thois comment or even go to the link but id really like for u to read it n share with the band! Like i said i dont kno if u will but plzz! Just read it man! Would mean alot to me! Thanks for ur time!

21. ristinw on August 15, 2011 at 12:55 am

Did you unsubscribe it? @0@

22. jozzie8 on August 14, 2011 at 8:55 pm

So true Mike, my inbox always seems to be full and there is never time to go through everything. Thanks for the respect that the fans deserve.

23. tabishinoda on August 14, 2011 at 8:15 pm

Michael, I love you. Tabitha

24. Autumn_93 on August 14, 2011 at 10:32 am

You’re always right, aren’t you Mike? haha.

And I do appreciate the few (but important) emails I get from linkinpark.com (:

25. saydatnaser on August 14, 2011 at 2:19 am

I hate spam. But some of spam are usuful..) The problem is to find needed… Hello, mr. Shinoda! so, Im waiting new album. and I’m trying to be aware all news…
    I often read on different sites about LP’ new style. comments like “it smells like pop” or “going down to pop”..) to tell the truth.. I also was hurt on you because of M2M. But now Im grown up. With the time change a person’s thoughts as man himself. artists, writers, composers, scientists and more other dont stop at one genre.. experimenting.

26. brysislupin on August 14, 2011 at 1:47 am

I totally agree with you! That happened to me a couple of times too -.-

27. Misi on August 13, 2011 at 3:09 pm

The joys of making a secondary “junk” e-mail account. Anymore it is almost a necessity. I just removed a bands newsletter from my list a few days ago because of record label spam. Same with pop ups. there is one business in particular that found a way to dodge pop up blockers so it’s the only one I ever see and they think I will -like- them over this fact? Anyway, thanks for not doing things like that. Real updates with lucrative information is appreciated.

28. danibarquilia on August 13, 2011 at 11:55 am

Mike, it has a name: marketing and e-commerce.

29. icecold25 on August 13, 2011 at 6:33 am

We already know that about your website. It’s the best website a band can have for their fans. Next time take it easy !!!

30. vickykun on August 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

p.s: You can spam my mail box anytime you wanna *trying to seduce you with my winks* ;3
    #sarcasm

No you can´t. Sorry.

lol I´m the one who´s spamming you O.O
    #fail

31. vickykun on August 12, 2011 at 2:20 pm

p.s: You can spam my mail box anytime you wannan *trying to seduce you with my winks* ;3
    #sarcasm

No you can´t. Sorry.

lol I´m the one who´s spamming you O.O
    #fail

32. jagta on August 12, 2011 at 10:05 am

Aw! Easy Mike. It’s called technology Mike. LOL. Not a morning person are you huh!?…Hope it won’t happen again nxt time you cheack your emails. TAke care :-)

33. lis0406 on August 12, 2011 at 9:07 am

OMG. jay-z and K. AWESOME!!! i want to see LP, Jay and why not, Kanye… with Busta that WAS AWESOME!!!
    kisses from Argentina !!!!

34. raspberry74 on August 12, 2011 at 8:41 am

Thanks, makes me proud to be a fan.

35. cherrybubble89 on August 12, 2011 at 5:24 am

Spammers get blocked straight away. I HATE Spammers. >.<
    You put a big smile on my face by posting this by the way.
    Could have been exactly my words.

Love,
    Linz.

36. mercenary18 on August 11, 2011 at 8:52 pm

Wow…Thanks! Kinda funny u post something like this when I just got done unsubscribing to all band emails I subscribed to a long time ago…ur absolutely right…I HATED it when I got an email I thought would be about one band and when I open it, they’re talking about some new band they jus signed…or whatever….so thank you so much for having THE BEST newsletter =) I never hesitate giving my email to Linkin Park (or anything associated with LP)
    Love ya LP!! Can’t wait to hear the new music <3

37. lpsoul on August 11, 2011 at 4:48 pm

I totally agree with you Mike! Everytime I open up my inbox, I find tons of spam and unappealing emails. I always end up spending lots of time deleting these emails. I’m really glad that linkinpark.com and mikeshinoda.com don’t spam their fans. Everytime I receive emails from linkinpark.com and mikeshinoda.com, I know that there will always be something interesting and cool for me to read.

38. emzlp123 on August 11, 2011 at 2:09 pm

Way to go Mike!
    You tell them!
    lol

39. thepixelpod on August 11, 2011 at 1:59 pm

wow, thats is impresionant :O, artist spamming their fans :/,
    tnks for respect us mike :D

40. pankakemunky on August 11, 2011 at 12:28 pm

I completely agree with you! I get all of these spammed emails from artists that are very similar to the ones I subscribe to, but then I end up deleting those emails. I feel like the tough economic times are making everything much worse in spamming than ever. But I’m glad to hear that Linkin Park would never spam my inbox (which I haven’t seen and am happy about). Also, you forgot to add that there’s no need to spam in emails because everyone is able to find artists they like though the wonderful gift of the internet.

41. nightrose64 on August 11, 2011 at 12:20 pm

this is the reason why i choose not to follow artists via email and facebook etc. too much unwanted spam! im not even signed up with you guys. as much as i love the band ha! doesn’t make me feel disconnected though.. as i regularly visit the websites of the artists i like.

Dumbfoundead, Wax, Watsky. now there are some names to check out.

42. anvanoppens on August 11, 2011 at 12:19 pm

Mike, totally true, but what can we, as individuals, change about that…
    Anyways, I think most people, or just everyone, within the LP/LPU community is very thankful of what we get in return to our support. Also the closeness from the band. It all makes us want to take part of it even more.
    You could just might as well not care and not communicate (as yourselves instead of something in form of spam) at all, but you’re not into that because you’re really involved, that’s been known from the very beginning. That makes it all more real as well. How many artists are truly involved…
    Thanks for all of that and don’t ever change what you do.
    An

43. curlylp on August 11, 2011 at 10:19 am

Well said. When i go to see my e-mails, half of them are spam and not important or interesting e-mails.

44. Claudia B. on August 11, 2011 at 8:37 am

This whole nonsense is just like what normally happens in Facebook & Twitter basically. Those suggestions do not mean that a person is going to like those artists. But that’s just business: shoving new “products” into people’s faces by all means and hope that someone is going to like them thus making money. I’m glad you don’t do that.
    I hate it when people rant away on Twitter just out of nowhere. All those “what time did I go to the bathroom” type of tweets are irritating as well. I normally unfollow those who do promotional spam. They can give a recommendation, but not talk about it 24/7 and send direct messages about it. At least you can hide posts in FB.

45. yatesypr2 on August 11, 2011 at 8:34 am

i suppose some artists need that bit of a push just to get big in the industry, but your right if you’ve signed up to kanye you shouldn’t be spammed with other artists.. for the record watch the throne is really good :)

46. coliinreiid on August 11, 2011 at 3:46 am

While were on this topic. What’s your thoughts on Watch the Throne? I think it’s not too bad to be honest. Listened to it quite a few times now.

47. morganatenebre on August 11, 2011 at 3:31 am

It’s very sad to know there are sites like that, sites we should trust, at last, as you said your personal details were exposed.
    I think it’s a slutty bitch, cause you can’t trust anyone else. The advantage with all this is, I will NEVER subscribe to this site.
    I am glad that at least here in the LP.com we can do all types of online transactions smoothly, cause we’ve the certain that this kind of disgusting thing will not happen.
    Mike, thanks for the care and concern. You’re awesome in many ways and more I know you, more I admire you. Thank you.

48. bluedragoncaboco on August 11, 2011 at 3:23 am

So true! Hope this “Record Label Dude” reads it. ^^ And thank you guys for being such a great band to be a fan of!

49. katuskaporumb on August 11, 2011 at 2:52 am

well-well!
    Very important,therefore that you don’t live it the other man-in this case thousand of peolple trust….
    like it or not the communication is a separate profession …. you can not just write all sorts of nonsense into a newsletter ….
    If you got to have a thought, it is likely that from you, newsletters and the like do not land on the fans’ e-mail account
    Remain the great-great respect:
    Katuska

50. michelletodorovic on August 11, 2011 at 2:33 am

That’s why I love Linkin Park AND your website!! You guys are difinietly the BEST. much love from germany.

51. nutritionelles on August 11, 2011 at 2:33 am

Thankyou for respecting us fans(:.There should be more artist like you.

52. Shinoda's Army on August 11, 2011 at 2:13 am

That’s what happens most of the time on internet. You can’t be sure of which sites you can fully trust or just give few informations. I actually trusted the LPU because no one ever complained, but I would NEVER give my name and address to random sites/advertising pages. That’s for careless people, my point of view. Anyways, for what a contract says, they can be legally punished. My suggestion for others is to never give anything of you anywhere, pictures first. They manipulate those as well

53. adiek84 on August 11, 2011 at 1:07 am

Totally agree with you! That’s just so annoying. I once subscribed to Ellie Goulding’s newsletter cause I was promised a new track for download. I really like Ellie Goulding, so I was pretty disappointed when that track never came. Her newsletter is great though.;-D A good alternative is to subscribe to the newsfeeds instead. I have to keep up to date with tons of artists, because of my blog and with the newsfeed, I have all news at one glance.
    By the way, great timing of that post, because just shortly after it, I got the new Linkin Park newsletter =D

54. evooba on August 11, 2011 at 12:09 am

Thank you!!!! I totally agree with you! It’s lame and annoying when you receive an email from someone you’ve subscribed to but get no news about him/her or whatever it is but get spammed with random things. That’s why I love the LP.com and LPU newsletters. It’s all about you and nothing else ;) Prob is that technology has gone too far nowadays and everyone’s trying to promote their stuff in any way possible through web so artists spamming completely unrelated stuff to them is one way :/

55. therosko on August 10, 2011 at 11:36 pm

This could have been such a great diss for the people, who are slowly ruining the music industry. If you only had rhymed those words and put the on a nice beat xD #justsaying
    p.s. I totally agree with you and thank you and mainly Adam for not spamming our e-mail addresses with things we do not want to know! I think we all appreciate this.
    Rossi

56. cctjehh on August 10, 2011 at 11:34 pm

I agree with Katherine (KathyXX). I too have an apart e-mail account for ‘risico-mailing lists’. If I’m not sure I won’t get spam or get something I dislike when I sign up for a list but still want to follow, I pretty much don’t have much choice. The big con is is that I now have to check two mail adresses and that simply is costing more time and not convenient at all, resulting in that I don’t check my second mail often which results in missing a lot of stuff from some artists, websites etc. oh and just for the record, yes I do have spam on my second mail account and I have no idea which mailing list resulted it.

I guess some sites, artists etc. are just screwing their selfs.

57. dcl1982 on August 10, 2011 at 10:59 pm

When see stuff like this, I do understand the advertising behind it, but I also feel like, “oh, we only have a certain amount of info about your artist, but we need to fill an entire page, so lets tell you about other random artists you don’t really care about!” lol

58. carbonsoul on August 10, 2011 at 10:05 pm

Nice to know you guys don’t do that. I’ve already encountered Universal doing that after signing up for updates from Ashes Divide and started to hesitate giving my info to artist sites for a while afterward.

59. jkhc0 on August 10, 2011 at 9:07 pm

Mike, i know this is completely unrelated but there are quite a few of us(or maybe just me, i have no clue) that would like to know what guitars you play. It’s hard to tell by pics and videos but i figure you have a PRS (custom 24 or modern eagle im guessing), an SG, an Epi casino (its hard to tell hollowbodies apart) and an Ibanez RG and a strat. You probably have alot more and me, and quite possible alot of people, are wondering what guitars you have and your favorites

You’re most likely not going to get along to answering this but if you do, what amp do you guys use now especially for burningintheskies, that nice bluesy tone

60. Jelly Do on August 10, 2011 at 8:45 pm

That’s for sure Mike! I do feel safe when subscribing to Linkin Park’s email list. And I really appreciate that. Mentioning emails, I remember receiving a Happy Lunar New Year email from Brad (I know it’s actually from the management staff). I was really pleased to learn that you guys do care for fans from all over the world including Asia. I means a lot! And the way you use just your first names as senders (sometimes Brad, sometimes Mike, sometimes Chester…) means a lot too. It makes us feel closed to you. I’m wondering if there are any other artists like our artists.

61. cincybmxlpfreak on August 10, 2011 at 7:59 pm

Lol. That was quite enjoyable to read. :P I’m glad you guys care to not spam us and care about the content of our e-mails. :) I’m pretty sure I’ve never gotten spam from any LP website. Most of the stuff, I read and go “Sweet! I didn’t know LP was playing in [insert town]!” etc. etc. Btw. Please post more of your random thoughts/annoyances more often. It’s quite interesting. :D

62. jkhc0 on August 10, 2011 at 7:51 pm

Mike, this happens everywhere. Many websites don’t have options to opt out of newsletters etc. Well those from guitar center and stuff are pretty good because they are coupons and notifications on sales but I consider it spamming because GC has a 10% off sale every week or something. Really, they have to have a sale for friday the 13th???? Now they’re just desperate for customers.

Hey, it works though, I go because of those discounts.

63. shivani94 on August 10, 2011 at 7:50 pm

Yep! I always feel disgusting while checking out my emails…n deleting them out is weird sort of thing but linkinpark.com….there’s a decency…it never disturbs…. BTW what about the survey we answered some months ago????

64. Nina Nine on August 10, 2011 at 7:42 pm

I love the way that you have to say the things.
    I’m super agree with you, but you know, that’s common in the most of the web site. so many, that until today, I go to open my mail and I stay surprised and in bad way dessapoiment that I have no mail of LP page. :S
    I said dessapoiment because it’s strange to find today the respect that you have for us, the fans. And that it’s good. THANKS. ;)

65. shinoda194 on August 10, 2011 at 7:09 pm

Hahahahahahaha, it’s funny because the title is “Def Spam” when it’s actually called “Def Jam.” But since Def Jam is spamming he changed Jam to Spam! He was using a play on words, also known as a pun. I feel as though I was born again when I read this hilarious pun. I am forever in your debt Mike. Damn.

66. joannehelix on August 10, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Yes Mike! that is the reason why i love LINKIN PARK’s website! I have given my emailt to recieve updates from you guys early this year and i feel that thats one of the BEST things i did in 2011. LP’s website is to the point! THUMBS UP TO LINKIN PARK for that! okay enough said for me there. Love you as always.

67. lpuniverse on August 10, 2011 at 7:00 pm

Well said :)

68. damienbenoit on August 10, 2011 at 7:00 pm

I totally agree Mike. I lose a bit of respect for things when I realize they are just using their robots to talk to me about their products.

69. Alexandra Nofi on August 10, 2011 at 6:49 pm

I HATE IT when I go onto an artist’s website and see advertisements for artists other than them. It makes me feel like I am on facebook. It’s bad enough twitter attacks us with that ‘who to follow’ list that we cannot turn off.

BTW, this somewhat long update was very satisfying. Still, I’ve noticed something kind of weird: You haven’t posted a studio update in a long, long time. In fact, not since you went into the studio. I truly don’t feel like a LP studio album is a real, tangible piece of art unless I can be involved in some sort of way. For me, that way is the mikeshinoda.com updates. I miss them.

70. kathyxx on August 10, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I feel crap like this is pretty standard fare. Enough so that I made a second email account just to dump these newsletters into because I don’t trust any of them to not sell my info off. I never look at that account. Hope nothing important is in it.

LPU is better. Especially with the chat thing and all.

71. sagback on August 10, 2011 at 6:43 pm

also sorry my grammer =)

72. sagback on August 10, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Hi mike , I think your posts-updates are very important for me ! bcoz I’m only the one who lives like you , talented , you re really my idol ! and thank you such a greAT post !

ps: http://mikeshinoda.com/feed/ I cant use your blog feed perftly check it out ! tahnk you again … greatings from TURKEY !

73. vickykun on August 10, 2011 at 6:39 pm

oops, I´ve cut my own comment;.; anyways

I like it when lpc come up with a few updates (rare)

And If I want to find news about Linkin Park I´ll just search it by myself.

I don´t need spams from the band,that would be just annoying.

74. vickykun on August 10, 2011 at 6:37 pm

And that´s why I love LPC website!
    Seriously,

I would be pissed if you guys came with all that spamming.

I like it when