Maschine, in Three Sizes

September 5, 2011

The Akai MPC2000 was my first real sampler.  I used it throughout all the original Xero and Hybrid Theory demos and our first album.  After that, I started making beats directly in ProTools.

I got back into the MPC with Fort Minor.  But I ran into a little problem: I’ve been collecting samples and sounds for about 15 years now, so I have a massive library of stuff I might want to pull from, and a lot of them are in different formats.  It would take forever to import all that stuff on an MPC.  Not to mention I couldn’t travel with an MPC–it’s too bulky.  I opted to use the MPC for some stuff, and other solutions at other times.  It was complicated, and I wanted to have one sampler that could do everything.

A year or so ago, I found a solution.  MASCHINE, made by Native Instruments, is a software-based sampler.  It’s a laptop program + physical controller combo.  I can import my stuff easily, sample new stuff in it, store and organize my samples on my laptop, and make beats using the built-in sequencer.  The effects are solid, and I can add more effects from third parties (like Waves, for example).  It can open as a stand-alone program (which is how I usually use it), or open as a plug-in in ProTools.

But most importantly, it’s pretty compact, and the actual controller is awesome.  Even the big one fits in my backpack, and I can write with it almost anywhere.  It’s got the MPC pads–which feel like the MPC–but they light up when each sound is playing.  I love this feature, because without it, I’d occasionally find it hard to remember which button corresponds with which sound.  It has 16 pads x 8 banks, which leaves room for tons of sounds.

Native Instruments just released an update to the software, plus two new controller options, seen above.  I use the big one, which is great.  The smaller one and the little iPhone app versions will be available October 1st.  They didn’t ask me to write this, nor am I expecting any piece of gear for writing it.  I simply love this piece of gear.  I’m going to go download the software update now…

1. nowherecrowd on September 20, 2011 at 6:19 am

Do you plan to use it on stage?

2. zoscha on September 9, 2011 at 3:32 pm

Awesome!!! Thank you for sharing that with us mike, i’m searching something like this… Now i just need some money, damn ^^

3. adiek84 on September 8, 2011 at 11:42 am

My brother bought “Machine” right after I’ve sent him the link! XD Also, my exam went really well, in case anyone else is interested in that…

4. korean6 on September 8, 2011 at 9:28 am

I saw your concert in korea, Seoul, today. Thank you for your great performance and saying “감사합니다”. And thank you for visiting South korea too.

5. cleopatrashinoda on September 7, 2011 at 10:12 pm

THIEVES STOLE MY MONEY. I ALMOST MADE IT. DUDE- ASHLEY SIMPSON’S MAN WALKED RIGHT PAST ME ON THE STEPS TO ONE OF OUR CASTLES. I DON’T CARE- I THOUGHT HER DANCE WITH THE OVERALLS ON WAS ADORABLE. so did he. I WANT TO BITE BITE BITE YOUR NOSE NOSE NOSE AND I WANT TO STEP ON YOUR TOES BECAUSE THAT WOULD BE ACCURATE, BUT YOU HAVE TO KISS THE TOP OF MY HEAD AT THE SAME TIME. I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU I LOVE YOU. <3 TABI

6. cleopatrashinoda on September 7, 2011 at 10:09 pm

MICHEAL!!! I LOVE YOU!!! YOUR SOULMATE LOVEY DOVEY WU TANG WIFE TABI

7. linkingabo on September 7, 2011 at 7:32 am

@M SHINODA thank you! I am happy you took a look at it and of course like it :))

8. anvanoppens on September 7, 2011 at 3:06 am

Wish I could come up with a smart solution for you though…

9. Nina Nine on September 7, 2011 at 1:53 am

Great! You seems like a kid with a new toy! :D

10. akismet-e6dc45582db9948a882d6fcf7146d38b on September 6, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Here’s a mysterious link http://souneik.bandcamp.com/track/kataomoi
    I liked the Maschine when I first messed with it a few years ago but the poor folk has gotta rock and mod MPC’s bulky or not. I carried mine in a Mary Poppins bag to that battle. Sorta wish I had that snap ability.

11. soufex on September 6, 2011 at 5:51 pm

relevant to your interests, ‘noda?

12. therosko on September 6, 2011 at 3:27 pm

Please try not to spill your coffee on it :D
    – Rossi

13. adiek84 on September 6, 2011 at 11:09 am

Thanks for the recommendation! I’ve sent the link to my brother, cause he mentioned that he wanted to change his gear.
    Please wish me luck for my final exam in my major “Ancient History” on Thursday. I’m gonna need it, cause I’ve just accidentally deleted the summary of Roman History I’ve worked on for the last four weeks -.-

14. Radyo Plexus on September 6, 2011 at 9:31 am

Mike, if I would put my own personal studio, what would you suggest in terms of the analogue consoles and recorders? Thanx!

15. kytheram on September 6, 2011 at 8:26 am

mike what did you use to make the beats on reanimation?

16. counter17 on September 6, 2011 at 7:52 am

Hey Mike just wanted to know
    What kind of monitors do you use for your home studio?
    Thnx

17. Slowlearner32 on September 6, 2011 at 6:27 am

Thanks Mike for the info! I’ll definitely check it out ;)!

18. anvanoppens on September 6, 2011 at 6:06 am

Don’t forget to update us about the new album, we’re kinda interested in what results out of those fancy new devices :)

19. thegluelpfan on September 6, 2011 at 3:56 am

Well that’s just a great piece of gear,especially for people who work on songs everywhere like you :) I hope we hear some great beats on the new album with the help of this software :)

20. anvanoppens on September 6, 2011 at 2:22 am

Let’s see some results :)
    An @LPBelgium

21. evooba on September 6, 2011 at 1:22 am

Sounds like a great piece of gear, especially for you that tend to travel a lot! since it’s small and fits your backpack ;) There’s also a new iPhone app I bought the other day called “Rhythm Studio”. It’s a complete little studio for your iPhone (like Nano Studio but I bit better I think). Works perfect so far and has 3 ways of recording and a lot of samples. You should check it out ;)

22. marcospaulocampos on September 5, 2011 at 10:21 pm

OMG…

How to play something like that!?!?? lol

Could you show us some moves, Mike?

And…. It’s my name!!
    M..P..C…
    YeaAAAhhhHHhhhhhhh ! ! !

23. counter17 on September 5, 2011 at 9:20 pm

Awesome I hope to get it….
    For now i’m just using Axiom Pro pads to make beats… :p

Finally i was able to make exact same sample as of wretches and kings…
    I’m so happy… :)

24. thepixelpod on September 5, 2011 at 8:51 pm

what is the opinion of Joe about this ?

25. jershalp on September 5, 2011 at 7:42 pm

Sounds pretty good…

26. derekoswald on September 5, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Definitely going to have to check this out when I get the money for it. I’ve been working in Fruity Loops for a while, and want something new and exciting so this might be the trick. Thanks Mike.

By the way, not to spam but if you could take 90 seconds to listen to this snippet and let me know what you think of it, I’d appreciate it. I’m going to be making the drums have a lot more thud in the final version, but this is a start:

27. Alexandra Nofi on September 5, 2011 at 6:13 pm

I have a soft spot for MPC’s. I have not used one personally, but I like the idea of them, and I think they would cater to what I want to do, which is make sample beats without having to play an instrument (I don’t do well with instruments). Right now I work with the virtual instruments on my software, and for what it is, it’s cool. But it has limits.

I think this will take the concept of the MPC to a new level. It’s very accessible, and for people like you and I, we need to write something down when we think of it, or it tortures us. That app looks awesome. I like that light up feature, and given how much I suck balls at the game “Simon”, I’d need a feature like that.

28. burningjavhy on September 5, 2011 at 5:04 pm

esto es increíble
    fantástica

29. 1oo71 on September 5, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Would you recommend it as a first piece of equipment, or should beginners get something simpler?

30. soufex on September 5, 2011 at 4:20 pm

you guys have no idea how much you make me want to spend all of my rent money on music toys, sometimes.

31. kristinabe on September 5, 2011 at 3:41 pm

mini organ :D

32. linkinparkette on September 5, 2011 at 3:17 pm

oh lookie.. for me confusing music stuff that would probably make me want to break ;-;

33. linkingabo on September 5, 2011 at 3:15 pm

the first time I am spamming here and sorry, but please check it out, I made a 3D animation from the video where MS is playing around with an MPC 1000:::

• M Shinoda on September 5, 2011 at 4:16 pm

Very cool!

34. burningjavhy on September 5, 2011 at 2:50 pm

this is amazing
    fantastic

35. schidow on September 5, 2011 at 2:43 pm

Heard about this brilliant little tool for a while, wondered about your mention at a LPU Chat (i think it was May or so) and now I have the Maschine at home and it is brilliant!
    Just waiting to test the iPhone version. :D
    Please, Mike can you make a demo video with this, like the op-1 one’s?

36. handsheeldhigh on September 5, 2011 at 2:37 pm

seems to be very very nice mike :) I wish you still much fun with it.
    and please come as soon as possible back to germany, i miss you guys!! I enjoyed the amazing show in oberursel, and thanks to rob for the drumstick :D keep it up, love you guys!! :*

37. ricardosoldier on September 5, 2011 at 2:36 pm

pfffff… I wanna have this app to prove it! Now, I have to wait till October 1st TT_TT LOL :D

38. chilibilly18 on September 5, 2011 at 2:28 pm

I know this comment is sooooooo irrelevant,but please tell Chester to sing the whole bridge of the “in the end”.
    Don’t hit me ^^

39. Shay Adams on September 5, 2011 at 2:27 pm

I would Love to learn how to use this. I think I will look into it…and by the way, thanks So much for the Spotify invite. I love it!

40. dcl1982 on September 5, 2011 at 2:25 pm

Yeah, ok, Mike, you go have fun with that… *nerd* If you like it, I’m sure it’s great, though.