Responses To Comments: Maschine (and recording)

September 8, 2011

1oo71: Would you recommend it as a first piece of equipment, or should beginners get something simpler?

M: I think the Maschine Mikro might be a good starter…it’s $400 US, which is a pretty good deal, considering what you get.  The sound library it comes with is really good, BTW.  So you’ll be starting with a big library of good sounds, and you can start adding your own from there.

counter17: Hey Mike just wanted to know. What kind of monitors do you use for your home studio? Thnx

M: I switch between Adam A-7s and Mackie HR 824s.

kytheram: mike what did you use to make the beats on reanimation?

M: I made most of my beats and loops right in ProTools at that time.  Just clipped little sounds and laid them out in grid mode.

Radyo Plexus: Mike, if I would put my own personal studio, what would you suggest in terms of the analogue consoles and recorders? Thanx!

M: If you’re a beginner, I wouldn’t recommend going analogue right away.  Digital recording is cheaper and provides beginners with a lot of experience, since most of the software packages come with bundles of plug-ins / effects (so if you don’t know a lot about how compressors, EQs, gates, reverbs, delays, etc. work, you’ll get to play around with all of them).  Analogue recording means you need to buy tape, which you need to get every time you want to record.  Plus the tapes pile up in your closet as you make new stuff.  But if those things don’t sound like deterrents, analogue recording is a lot of fun.  Great, warm sound, and it tends to limit you to a certain number of tracks, which can be a good challenge.

DerekOswald made this awesome remix and video, which I wanted to share.

And finally, don’t forget to tune in to LinkinPark.com in a few hours to catch the inexplicable A THOUSAND HORIZONS, streaming in augmented reality…go to the site now to register and be ready to watch.

1. Radyo Plexus on January 12, 2013 at 3:09 am

Reblogged this on Xandro Pontillas.

2. burningjavhy on September 25, 2011 at 4:06 pm

ever the best sound:D!

3. ajbeblazin on September 21, 2011 at 6:04 pm

LOL I forgot to ask u something! :D What is your fan email (if u have one) or just ur regular email cuz I wanted to give u some links and/or I wanted to ask u some questions. If u won’t give it that’s fine I completely understand I know what u r saying, but I swear I won’t use that info badly. Just take it under consideration I completely understand if u can’t give it. Just try to get back! :D

U and Linkin Park and Fort Minor r amazing and I hope u keep going to become the #1 band (you already are :D) Just keep bein awesome!
    -AjBeBlazin

Plz get back to me I beg of you plz answer this ;( :) $) plz u would make my life amazing

4. ajbeblazin on September 21, 2011 at 5:48 pm

Hiya Mike! Just wanted to say great job on Remember the Name (I know I am a couple years late but lol) Anyway I was asking how do u and Chester come up with these amazing songs like Somewhere I Belong and Faint. Plz plz answer I really want to know. Thx so much tell the rest of the band to keep rockin’! Also just a reminder this is my favorite song by u and Linkin Park: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_uri=%2F&gl=US#/watch?v=_iCtpuQvydk

5. shashanksardesai on September 16, 2011 at 9:07 am

TO MIKE,
    I REALLY DONT KNOW WHETHER U WILL BE READING THIS OR NOT! AND THIS IS ALSO NOT RELATED TO THE POST U POSTED! I’M A FAN OF LP SINCE HYBRID THEORY EP, AND JUST WANTED TO KNOW WHETHER LP WILL BE GOING BACK TO THEIR ROOTS, AT ANY POINT I DONT SAY DAT I’M A HATER OF ATS! ATS WAS GR8, BUT I’M JUST BEING CURIOUS! NOT ONLY I, BUT ALL LP FANS MISS SONGS LIKE SOMEWHERE I BELONG, FORGOTTEN! ONCE AGAIN, NO OFFENSE! THANK YOU!

6. zahralp on September 15, 2011 at 3:34 pm

awesome info

ps:lucky Derek ;)

7. 1oo71 on September 14, 2011 at 6:14 am

Thanks, Mike! I think I’ll get ProTools as well. I was thinking of checking out Logic 10 when it comes out, but whenever I watch any ‘making of’ documentary for anything, they’re always using ProTools. I’m excited! I’ll show you when I make something cool. ^_^

8. Radyo Plexus on September 13, 2011 at 10:09 am

Thank you Mike for your reply. I really appreciate it. God bless you!

9. Linkin Park Philippines on September 13, 2011 at 10:01 am

Thank you Mike for your reply. I really appreciate it. God bless you!

10. thegluelpfan on September 10, 2011 at 11:33 am

I’m gonna pretend like I understand a lot about recording hardware and software,I’m just gonna go ahead and say that it’s really awesome that you can actually work with the gear and the software so well unlike some other artists who have other people do that for them.I really admire you for that.

11. contentsupressed on September 9, 2011 at 1:33 pm

Just did a cover of W4TE by you guys, Everything was done by me from recording to mixing to video editing :D – I feel like a spammer, if you are reading this check out the video it has some unusual video lyrics effects :D which are quiet hard to find in servers filled with white text on black backgrounds.

12. counter17 on September 9, 2011 at 11:56 am

Wow, thnx man…
    My full home studio is set up only monitors were left… :)
    Thankyou again… :):):)

Much Respect

13. cherrybubble89 on September 9, 2011 at 10:41 am

I think its so sweet that you share your knowledge with us…!
    Thank God your not one of those stuck up dumbasses who think they’re better than the rest of the world.

Love.

14. Nina Nine on September 9, 2011 at 9:39 am

Sweet! I have no idea about it… XP LOL. But it’s really sweet, respectful and attentive of you to share your knowledge!

15. cincybmxlpfreak on September 9, 2011 at 8:22 am

Lol. Cool…I’m learning all about Pro-Tools right now in my Virtual Studio Technology class. And that remix is alright…I think it’d be better without that really loud synth playing the chords.

16. jershalp on September 9, 2011 at 7:07 am

Geez your one of the nicest rockstar I know…. Not everone take time to reply to their fans….

17. anvanoppens on September 9, 2011 at 6:58 am

Sweet :)

18. elmarvilino on September 9, 2011 at 6:09 am

Hey Mike, would you mind to give us some advice on how to make on songs, because if I’m recording a song and I like it, I compare it to other songs I know, like Linkin Park’s or other songs.
    And after a while it just sounds like a bad cover of one of your or other song.
    So that’s why I wondered if you could make a post on MS.com or whatever, to share your wisdom with some people who want to create their own music.
    Thanks!

19. lapkoola on September 9, 2011 at 5:11 am

Extremely emotional show Mike (for me anyway), moved me more than anything before to such an extent, that during the Messenger I found myself crying. It felt like every cell of my body was reacting to what I was experiencing – an emotional combo of compassion, gratitude, unity and love (THIS is cliché, Dave).
    I’m really gratefull for the show.
    Hugs as always Mike (and for Joe and his flip-flops ;))

20. curlylp on September 9, 2011 at 4:40 am

Thanks for these answers. It’s pretty useful for some of us.

And Derek, good job.

21. 筱田の友 on September 9, 2011 at 4:22 am

Hi Mike sorry for being irrelevant, But i’m craving to know where the Hong Kong banner is. I miss it so badly. I’m wondering if LPU have taken it or left it somewhere…

22. therosko on September 9, 2011 at 2:15 am

Great job, Derek. I can imagine how happy he is right now :D:D:D:D
    This post is seriously awesome. Great thing to answer fan’s questions just like that. Respect, Mike!
    Can’t wait to watch the live streaming :)
    - Rossi

23. evooba on September 9, 2011 at 12:29 am

Wow, thx! Really helpful answers for someone like me. ;)

Great video, nice work Derek!

24. katuskaporumb on September 8, 2011 at 11:48 pm

wow!!!
    Great ideas will be the future progeny!
    Sympathetic attitude!
    When did you start playing music, electronic, someone gave you this advice?

25. brofro7794 on September 8, 2011 at 9:52 pm

Will A THOUSAND HORIZONS be streamed again? I have to wake up early for school, I might not be able to catch it.

26. nettie21 on September 8, 2011 at 8:39 pm

I woke up early today because I had to go to Uni, and before I left home, came here and found this… This is the best “wake-up-call” ever!!! At 6:30 in the morning I have good mood. :D

27. shivani94 on September 8, 2011 at 8:37 pm

Man this is fun! I get lots of cool stuffs of which I’ve never even heard of…….here on mikeshinoda.com… Its a real benefit to the readers and inspiration to the upcoming musicians…

28. Alexandra Nofi on September 8, 2011 at 7:54 pm

Is there any way that A Thousand Horizons will be available to watch again? I am hitting the sack in a few minutes because I need to get up early for work.

29. Ally on September 8, 2011 at 7:53 pm

lol I can imagine Derek’s face right now.

This is a really great remix preview. I can’t wait to hear the rest.

30. derekoswald on September 8, 2011 at 7:50 pm

That really means a lot for you to feature my remix man. I never expected that. I’ll post the final version when it’s done for sure. Glad you liked it! -LPADerek