October 7, 2011

(Hybrid Theory writing session, Apple Computer, circa 1998)

My family’s first computer was an Apple (a IIe, I think).  I remember learning to type on it, playing a game that calculated your words-per-minute.  My mom was studying to be a court reporter, and she could type very quickly; I would peck at letters with my two index fingers as fast as I could to see if I could get a score half as good as hers.

At the time, my Dad worked in aerospace engineering, and was impressed with the durability of the computer at work, so he decided to get one for the house.  The whole family shared time on it, working and playing.  I remember using it to write reports, and play games like LOGO, Loderunner, and Gold Rush.  As I got older, my interestes changed, and my time on the “Macintosh” was eclipsed by a Nintendo, and later a Sony Discman.

In college, I was reintroduced to Apple in a new way.  Having spent years honing my skills drawing and painting, I hadn’t yet had the chance to bring those illustrations into the computer.  At Art Center, there was a computer lab–a huge underground complex of rooms filled with computers.  And the computer of choice for the designers and artists at Art Center was Apple.  I loved the design, inside and out, and it seemed built for making art.  And once it was my computer for art, it became my computer for music.

It’s hard to think of all the ways that Steve Jobs’ vision has built a foundation for the products on which I work and create: Apple products have been used in making every piece of music Linkin Park has ever written, every album cover or poster we have ever designed, and all our music videos, ads, LPTV, and websites.

From the creation of our songs, art, and videos to the devices our fans enjoy them on, Steve Jobs’ vision has made an indelible imprint on everything we do. Multiplying that out into all the other bands and artists in the world who also use Apple products to write and record their songs or edit videos, movies, TV shows, art and photos, it’s hard to imagine anyone who has played a bigger role in shaping the world of modern art and music.

-m

1. nhylton on October 30, 2011 at 4:36 am

I really admire you Mike. It take courage for someone even a celebrity to write on their blog about someone who has touched all our lives in a certain way. Thank you for this tribute to him and RIP Steve Jobs.

2. bananagabbana on October 20, 2011 at 10:38 am

RIP Steve Jobs.

thank you mike for everything you’ve done so far😀

3. Aditya_the_warrior_within on October 16, 2011 at 9:05 am

Since its Steve Jobs day today (only in CA though, that doesn’t others like me don’t live up to the spirit!)
    I made a small special post dedicated to him
    hopefully you might see it and like it🙂

4. akismet-e6dc45582db9948a882d6fcf7146d38b on October 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I saw his picture and immediately thought it wasn’t real. Weird.
    Sorry, he was an amazing person.
    I think your back is like a super negative alternate dimension btw.
    Hope I did something at least.

5. mikeecem on October 12, 2011 at 8:29 am

thanks for write this Mike! i!ll miss Steve.

-iSad

6. mrmmusictech on October 12, 2011 at 5:26 am

without steve i wouldn’t have been able to create this!
    Everyone please take a listen!!

7. counter17 on October 10, 2011 at 2:28 am

Hey Mike what did you use to control virtual instruments??
    MPC???
    Did you have MIDI keyboard then??

8. kristinabe on October 9, 2011 at 7:46 am

Thank you Steve Jobs!……
    Thank you Mike for good article!
    iSad….

9. ricardosoldier on October 9, 2011 at 4:07 am

:’) That’s so beautifil Mike!! Thank you Steve Jobs!

10. 1oo71 on October 8, 2011 at 9:42 pm

I teared up a little reading that. He really did change the world. When I found out he passed, I was sitting in a Mac lab. I didn’t even realise until I got home. Well, “good design is invisible”… but I always noticed the Macs in your “making of” videos. *secret Mac handshake*

Imagine if he never existed. o_o

11. aidena53 on October 8, 2011 at 10:02 am

steve jobes changed the world of the music!!!!!

12. meyoukee on October 8, 2011 at 9:31 am

@Alex Nofi Um, thanks for clarifying your train of thought re:”selfishness”. I re-read your “individual opinion” about shadowing his passing w/deep gratitude for the products? You said “i hate”. Aw,hate is such a negative word. ;:/ My reply: What does it matter? As you have your opinion so does the whole world. Re-read what he said about APPLE products & why LP is grateful?

Perhaps Mike respects your opinion I don’t know. Words are powerful & what you shared sounded very harsh to me. There’s a way to be “TACTFUL” to convey your thoughts. But you just about flung UNKO (poo) on every heart-felt OR not arigato, including Mike’s thanks to the late Steve Jobs. So be HAPPY &😀.

• Alexandra Nofi on October 8, 2011 at 5:13 pm

@meyoukee: You are aware that Fred Shuttlesworth also died this past Wednesday, aren’t you?

As Diane McWhorter put it, Fred Shuttlesworth was over shadowed by the mourning of Steve Jobs, a man who created things which people relate to as if they are human. Fred Shuttlesworth helped lead the Civil Rights movement in an era where a class of people were regarded as things instead of as human beings.

13. cleopatrashinoda on October 8, 2011 at 7:40 am

@Alexander MOFI about MeeYouKeey- Hey. Wait a minute. Why do you not want to acknowledge what someone else has accomplished? I believe the reason why is because lower level employees have actualized ideas in the name of Steve Jobs and you can sympathize with that in your own life.🙂 Honeypup, one of these days everything will get better and the truth will come out. Maybe Steve Jobs died because he was a child molester LMAO… There are those of us who are boney as hell and unafraid. I smashed an apple last night after child molesters put BUKAKI in my food!!! (And I vandalized the bathroom…) I hear ya dude, and so does Mike. Break free, but do no wrong. Seek *YOUR PERSONAL* inner light.

14. cleopatrashinoda on October 8, 2011 at 7:25 am

Hey, Baby. The food is tainted everywhere with well… shall I say… COMPLETE DISORDER OF HUMAN THOUGHT!!! A far stretch into the future of the nature as to what it actually is, but honey pup… It is really nasty. That Adele song is making me cry… When I say that I would have found someone like you… I meant our son, Austin. I never would have ever moved on. I dated a little, but ended up only dating brothers and cousins from past lives. I love you.❤ I bite bite bite- on your nose nose nose!!! See the Jessica Simpson pic with her boyfriend… Hellwo, Tang. I love you!!! Bjork's video is interesting from Earthstar Genius PUrple hair Universalist!!! Pur puppies in my eyes, Mikey.❤

15. Alexandra Nofi on October 8, 2011 at 7:17 am

@meyoukee: Re-read my comment, where I mention to stop going on and on about how someone died, because it’s no longer about Steve Jobs, it’s about what they got from the products he made, and that is selfish. Let the dead rest. If that’s not heartfelt, asking someone to stop thinking about themselves and have respect for the dead, then I don’t know what is.

Part of the reason why I left my opinion on this blog is because I know that Mike respects my opinion, and I respect his, if I didn’t, I would not have been leaving comments on here since his very first blog entry.

16. thegluelpfan on October 8, 2011 at 3:28 am

Just thinking about how much this man gave to the world-to the music,art,video and just everything creative…the world would definitely not be the same without him.I just hope that somewhere in the future there will be people just as creative and innovative as he was.I also thank him for everything he’s done for Linkin Park.Rest in peace Steve Jobs.

17. Nina Nine on October 8, 2011 at 12:25 am

A genius! A example! R.I.P.

18. meyoukee on October 7, 2011 at 10:42 pm

Mike: Sorry about dup post. Can you please delete the first post for me? Arigato!

19. meyoukee on October 7, 2011 at 10:34 pm

I enjoyed reading your arigato to Steve Jobs. He will truly be missed but his legacy lives forever. I read all of the heart-felt replies here except ONE namely:@Alexandra Nofi-Have you watched the world news lately? GLOBALLY the whole world mourns his passing as well as their gratitude. This blog conveys both.So he isn’t the POTUS nor a MLK Jr. BUT he was a mover & a shaker w/a vision that left his mark in our world. Even President Obama voiced his gratitude & deepest sympathy.

Sure you have your opinions but to vent the way you did here is HIGHLY inappropriate & so disrespectful to Mike.

Ever heard of “if you have nothing nice to say, say nothing at all?”:/

20. zahralp on October 7, 2011 at 9:54 pm

RIP Steve Jobs…he changed the world for us all

21. dcl1982 on October 7, 2011 at 9:47 pm

My ipod is my LIFE!!! I have no idea what I’d be doing if that invention hadn’t been made… Oh, yeah, I’d still be lugging around my discman and cd’s, as I did in high school, trying not to get caught listening to music during school hours…

22. meyoukee on October 7, 2011 at 9:17 pm

I enjoyed reading your arigato to Steve Jobs. He will truly be missed but his legacy lives forever. I read the heart-felt replies here except ONE namely:
    @alexandra nofi-Have you watched the world news lately? GLOBALLY the world mourns his passing as well as their gratitude. This blog conveys both. Even President Obama THE prez voiced his gratitude. Sure u have your opinion but to vent the way u did here is HIGHLY inappropriate & so disrespectful to Mike. Ever heard of “if u got nothing nice to say, say nothing at all?”:/

23. argol8489 on October 7, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Steve Jobs’ dreams are now our tools to build our own dreams.

24. wgnwhite on October 7, 2011 at 6:10 pm

Yes, my career turning point started when I started using Apple products. I was try to make things works in Windows last time, but with Mac, I just now concentrate how to make my music.

25. Alexandra Nofi on October 7, 2011 at 5:56 pm

I think all of these messages to Steve Jobs, thanking him, are inappropriate. He was the head of corporate business that made computers. Just because I write my manuscripts on my Windows 7 laptop, doesn’t mean I’ll send intense thank you messages to the head of Microsoft if he or she dies.

Steve Jobs is not the President of the United States, he didn’t lead a civil rights movement, he didn’t stand in protest against the Vietnam war and take a beating because of it. He is not a historical figure.

I hate it when people go on and on about someone’s death. It stops being about the person who died and becomes selfish. Let the dead rest.

26. bahar67 on October 7, 2011 at 4:22 pm

i was just waiting to see your tribute, i was sure it’d be smthng awesome like this🙂 RIP, SJ!

27. vickykun on October 7, 2011 at 3:48 pm

I remember when my mom bought her Macintosh for the first time. I was very little and things like PC or computers seemed something so… I don´t know… From the future.
    Steve was a visionary, a genious. We wouldn´t have notebooks, iPhones,iPods,iPads nor even modern cell phones full of tools without Steve in this world.

He will be missed

28. EpicLinkinPark on October 7, 2011 at 1:59 pm

It’s still hard to believe Steve Jobs has passed away. I couldn’t agree more Mike, he was a genius and a great man. He set the future for technology and a new journey for us to follow. I remember my first mac computer and first ipod I got. I still use Apple products till this day. It’s true what you say about musicians too, it has impacted our lives with the technology he has developed. I will never forget the legacy he has built. Thanks for writing this wonderful message Mike, it is touching. He will truly be missed. R.I.P. Steve Jobs 

29. Alina on October 7, 2011 at 12:09 pm

oh my…i didn’t know… his in better place now.

30. Ally on October 7, 2011 at 11:44 am

Haha, my first PC was a Macintosh.

31. kelly jean on October 7, 2011 at 10:23 am

The Macintosh was the first machine my mom used after she lost her vision back in the 80s… lots of sentimental value in this company for us. At least now we know that when we go to heaven we will be able to use our iPhones🙂 Steve Jobs will figure it out.

32. emzlp123 on October 7, 2011 at 10:13 am

I still have my first iPod (don’t use it anymore but I still have it lol) and iPhone (that I do still use) and for me its hard to imagine having any other phone or way to listen to music.
    Apple are the main computers I use in college and I love them. From writing to photoshop, everything is so easy with them.
    There are very few people who you can actually say changed the way we live, but Steve Jobs did and for that he will always be remembered.
    RIP Steve Jobs

33. sashechkar on October 7, 2011 at 9:26 am

Steve left this world, but he left so much after him. He will live in our memories much more time and we hope Apple will continue to produse great items, as it was before. R.I.P Steve Jobs.
    -Alexandra.

34. davenchen on October 7, 2011 at 9:21 am

No more iThis . . . iThat? . . . iThink,iSad
    iMiss Steve Jobs

35. davenchen on October 7, 2011 at 9:12 am

Linkin Park made their entire music using Mac and i buy their album from iTunes and put it into my iPod and mostly watch Linkin Park video and visit LP sites through MacBook screen,at last attending the concert and meet & greets with Linkin Park at A Thousand Suns World Tour,Jakarta Indonesia,Sept 21,2011,record and snap some of the show using iPhone.So Apple bring me closer to Linkin Park
    What did you do to all of us Steve?

36. thepixelpod on October 7, 2011 at 8:37 am

wow! all linkin park material is made with apple products :P!
    good info mike! ;3

37. nillp on October 7, 2011 at 7:59 am

btw, what a great and thrilling text!
    i could not say better!!!

38. nillp on October 7, 2011 at 7:52 am

now that I’m sure the apple was a big part in LPs creations, I am even more grateful for the world to have had the opportunity to have someone like Steve changing everyone’s lives for the better!

RIP and thanks Steve!

39. Xenith on October 7, 2011 at 7:49 am

Couldn’t have said it better myself Mike.

40. Aditya_the_warrior_within on October 7, 2011 at 6:21 am

He was my role model since I was a kid, was one of the few person’s I hoped to meet one day. Thanks to him I know a person who is willing enough can change the world. Thank you Steve Jobs (sir). Rest in peace😥

41. wendyrock on October 7, 2011 at 6:19 am

R.I.P. Steve Jobs,Thank You For everything!

42. curlylp on October 7, 2011 at 6:06 am

It’s a sad moment for all of us. Even people who don’t like or don’t have any Apple products can realize how intelligent and innovator Steve Jobs was. I have an Ipod Touch and i must say it’s one of the best things i ever bought. It gives me no problems and it’s so useful. I wish i could have more Apple stuff but it’s very expensive in my country. Anyway, it’s a big loss and he will be remember for a long time.

43. strawberry062 on October 7, 2011 at 5:51 am

R.I.P. Steve Jobs,1955-2011.Well said Mike.

44. erimarika on October 7, 2011 at 5:42 am

Mike,
    Apple products have been used to make your art and music, and Apple product have also brought you and your music closer to us. His spirits will go on and he will be very much missed.
    Thank you and RIP Steve Jobs.

45. stavinskayaolga on October 7, 2011 at 5:35 am

join in all the above … I am not a very emotional person. Do not assume someone linye tragedy. But, somehow, the death of Steve Jobs touched and impressed me to the very depths of my soul.

46. thunderofangels on October 7, 2011 at 5:34 am

Let’s not forget what he died of. http://stevejobsdiedofcancer.com/

47. smokins on October 7, 2011 at 5:27 am

R.I.P Steve Jobs. now he must be designing a better after life for all of us when our time comes..

48. therosko on October 7, 2011 at 5:24 am

I am sure that if Steve Jobs would have read that, he would have felt really proud of himself. Thank you, Mike, for paying so much respect on him. This is great from you.
    Rest in peace, Steve Jobs. I am sure we all will be missing you.

-Rossi

49. aravind221 on October 7, 2011 at 5:24 am

Mike , its sucha great things steve did help the music industry with incredible performance gadgets and pc’s , and steve jobbs is one of a kind , Apple never dies❤ so does Linkin Park , the evergreen fruits🙂

50. jershalp on October 7, 2011 at 5:20 am

Steve Jobs was a genius….
    He will be so very missed.
    Also, its really nice of u to blog about this n say thanks to Steve…. Not many people do that..

51. evooba on October 7, 2011 at 5:19 am

It’s always sad to see geniuses like him die young from such a disease. It’s not even fair! I can’t afford an apple computer – they’re really expensive here – but I do have 2 iPods and the iPhone and just from the variety of different apps I can see what a great change that man did to technology. Who would have thought that we could have a studio installed in our phones? He will be missed for sure, but will be remembered forever.

52. minguadeviver on October 7, 2011 at 5:10 am

I like your words. We lost a genious.

53. yomarqueslp on October 7, 2011 at 5:10 am

Thank you, Steve. RIP.

54. sohail abbasi on October 7, 2011 at 5:08 am

ty steve,you were the best,you are the best,& you’ll be the best

55. neoneo2199 on October 7, 2011 at 5:07 am

S ilently guiding the course T echnology always in focus E xpecting what we didn’t expect V isionary for our time E nd reached too soon

56. rookieonen on October 7, 2011 at 5:04 am

Thank you for the ‘Apple’, Steve. It’s refreshing indeed. :’)

“Remembering that I’ll be dead soon is the most important tool I’ve ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything—all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart. … Stay hungry. Stay foolish.”

—Steve Jobs (Stanford University commencement address, June 2005.)

57. randomtongues on October 7, 2011 at 4:57 am

The iPod has helped me bring LP music with me while I’m in my everyday commute to work, amidst heavy traffic! I’m glad Steve Jobs invented it, keeps me closer to Linkin Park’s music🙂

58. Shinoda's Army on October 7, 2011 at 4:56 am

It’s always a loss when a genius dies. Most of the computers are made by Apple, and he proved that being different and following imagination could improve in inventions. A real big loss. He could do more, not for us only but for himself.

59. soufex on October 7, 2011 at 4:54 am

basically. it makes me very happy to see just how many artists and musicians have come forward with thanks, because their careers are only where they are because of apple products and the ease of their creative opportunism.

60. immalpfan on October 7, 2011 at 4:52 am

RIP Steve Jobs, you will always be remembered. Thankyou!