The Raid: Film Score Update

October 21, 2011

The score for The Raid is steadily moving along.  In between Linkin Park studio sessions–which are also underway–I’m working on the feature-length score for this brutal Indonesian action movie.  With a good chunk of the movie now sounding good, and a lot of great hype and reviews coming from folks who have gotten a chance to see the film, I’m excited to tell you a little more about it.

Writing big, nasty parts for a fast-paced action scene have come pretty naturally for me.  There are lots of moments with big beats and unique, exciting sounds.  But one thing I’ve found that’s different in writing for film (versus an album) is being aware of how and when to make the music transparent. The music needs to be invisible at times.  Writing a Linkin Park song is usually about our personal stories, not someone else’s.  And an LP song is designed to draw you in, to catch your ear with words, melodies, and sounds.  Often, the techniques I might use to create a catchy sound or “hook” would actually take away from a scene in The Raid, so it’s been a fun challenge to learn when and how to let the movie’s story come first.

I also enlisted the help of Joe Trapanese, best know for his work with Daft Punk on the TRON score and soundtrack.  Joe also did strings on the newest M83 album, “Hurry Up, We’re Dreaming.”  Joe comes from a composing / arranging / film background, and we’re finding great ways to inform and compliment one anothers’ work in the music for this movie.

Here’s a cool (fan-made?) video for Joe’s favorite track he worked on, from M83’s new album, a song called “Wait”

EDIT: Check out this new interview I did about scoring The Raid – HERE

1. faozillayuzakki on November 12, 2011 at 10:18 pm

Mike the tickets for The Raid on INAFF has sold out fast!
    It’s like I should wait on January to watch this.
    Well actually I thought that you got play or directing this film :p

Nice Job as always Mike! God Bless.

2. brysislupin on November 9, 2011 at 10:45 am

Can’t wait to see (and hear) the movie :)

3. thegluelpfan on October 30, 2011 at 6:15 am

I’m so proud and amazed by you seriously…you’re so damn talented and so good at multitasking :D Can’t wait to see and hear the final product :)

4. zahralp on October 25, 2011 at 10:51 am

im looking forward to see this one….

and that song , it really got to me …
    “Give your tears to the tide, No time, No time ” amazing music

5. anvanoppens on October 25, 2011 at 5:55 am

Sorry if this might be a dumb question, Mike… but will the film be available worldwide? (I live in Europe)

6. shinodacakes77 on October 24, 2011 at 7:54 am

Is there anything you can’t do??? :D

7. jozzie8 on October 24, 2011 at 2:07 am

Loving the song Mike, gave me chills.

8. phoenixfarrellfansite on October 24, 2011 at 1:54 am

You’re really eclectic in EVERY area aren’t you? what’s next?? :D
    By the way if you read my comment wanted to let you know i’ve just created a website about Mister Farrell ( since phoenixfarrellorg has been shut down). I should not flooding in here and try to catch you guys on Twitter but as you guys mostly tweets when i sleep i try to get noticed here!. It’s a very simple site yet nice. If you wanna check the site out
    Thanks :)

9. immalpfan on October 24, 2011 at 12:49 am

hi mike, i know this is out of the topic but just wanted to say you are awesome and kind. Saw the video on u giving out free tickets to the girl. You are amazing!

10. 筱田の友 on October 23, 2011 at 8:01 pm

If I luckily get a chance to make a movie in the future. I’m definitely going to use your musics!

11. Nina Nine on October 23, 2011 at 7:23 pm

Dear mike:
    As you must to remember you dedicated a blog to someone who said that you just care about LPUers, and bla bla bla.
    Ok, in that reply you said something like “all the people talk when something dont like them, but nobody’s talk when something really like them”.
    I wrote you a lot of times how much I love LP, your music, your arts, and everything you do, because I really admire you, and never get a THANKS or some like that, but I was happy to find someone who think like me. Now that I think about that, I guess that you dont think like me, I think like you, I changed my mind because you. I’m not asking a reply now, I just wanna THANK YOU for make me a better person!

12. mrkjcs23 on October 23, 2011 at 3:04 pm

Thanks for the update Mike. Could you give us a rough idea as to when The Raid will be released in the U.S.? Thanks!

13. queenash1993 on October 23, 2011 at 12:28 pm

hey mike my name is ayesha ghayas n im from pakistan.And im thalassemia intermedia Patient. i dont knw that you going to read this or not hope you do read this.. i just wanna tell you that love you guys.And love to be in ur concert but i cant. HOPE SEE YOU SOON IN PAKISTAN. LOVE LINKIN PARK

14. Radyo Plexus on October 23, 2011 at 9:45 am

Good luck Mike!

15. jershalp on October 23, 2011 at 4:22 am

All the best Mike !!
    Just can’t wait to hear the soundtrack….!!!!

16. shivani94 on October 22, 2011 at 11:43 pm

very best of luck for your work and linkinpark.com’s looking superb…. :)

17. linkinparkette on October 22, 2011 at 9:03 am

hehehe ” In between Linkin Park” :3
    nice bloggie and i like ur thingie at the bottom. “official website of MIKE SHINODA tm” i think i am just now seeing that… :3

18. thesupermg996 on October 22, 2011 at 7:22 am

you are awesome!

19. thesupermg996 on October 22, 2011 at 7:20 am

this is awesome.

20. emzlp123 on October 22, 2011 at 4:27 am

Cant wait to watch the movie and hear your work … oh and your blog has to be the most well written one I’ve ever read lol
    peace!

21. yomarqueslp on October 22, 2011 at 4:08 am

I always enjoy reading your posts, Mike. So excited for you! Hope you have lots of fun writing for The Raid and for Linkin Park as well, of course. I’m sure it will look great, can’t wait to hear it!

22. curlylp on October 22, 2011 at 12:40 am

I am really excited about your new project. Seems like you are truly enjoying working on this so i can’t wait to see the movie and listen to the soundtrack.

23. evooba on October 22, 2011 at 12:29 am

Sweet! I can’t wait to see the movie and hear the music. I bet it’s gonna be really really interesting :)

24. anvanoppens on October 21, 2011 at 11:30 pm

Can’t wait to see the movie!

25. widya rahayu on October 21, 2011 at 10:30 pm

My one big curiousity is.. did you get influenced by some Indonesian traditional music instruments which was -not always- but usually follow the image sound of the traditional martial art, Pencak Silat, or not? Or it’s not even about traditional/ modern sounds at all. Maybe it’s something about “the soul”? Or it’s purely about just “The Raid”? <–so curious!
    @ adhara9 If i'm not mistaken, Mike's score is for the original movie for the U.S release. As in Indonesia, we will get the original music score by Indonesian musicians. As for the remake, i have no infos for the music score yet.

26. adhara9 on October 21, 2011 at 10:10 pm

Something I’m not quite understanding… Mike, it sounds like you’re scoring the original movie. But I’ve been reading that there’s going to be a Hollywood remake for the U.S. Is your music going to be in the remake too? Which version of The Raid will we have to see to hear your music?

• M Shinoda on October 22, 2011 at 8:17 am

I am scoring the original, Indonesian version. The rest of the movie is done; the music is the last thing to do.

27. dcl1982 on October 21, 2011 at 9:59 pm

I can’t wait to hear the finished soundtrack!

28. mrmmusictech on October 21, 2011 at 9:57 pm

GREAT job dude.. here’s something which is great too
    check this out and tell me what you think mike!

29. argol8489 on October 21, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’m glad you always looking for new ways to convey your skills to the delight of others. I think your style fits well with patterns of action, but I think you are very versatile so you could fit in any film (including Walt Disney) Your partisipacion will be remarkable. I wish you much success.

30. adrodesa on October 21, 2011 at 8:52 pm

yeah,,the movie is the best ever in here (Indonesia)..will launching on early 2012..i watched Merantau,,and i’ll watching The Raid (Serbuan Maut)..good job Mike..!!
    ^_^

31. sonokeling2011 on October 21, 2011 at 8:39 pm

Oh Mikey…. U hv no idea how proud I am to b an Indonesian ryt nw , I hvnt seen the movie, cnt wait to. Witnesing ur work is a need heheheh…. Those who have the chance to work with you gta b very luuuuuuuucky ppl. Iko Uwais is one of my fave actors, n u r definetely my fave musician , theres no way on earth I’m gna miss ths movie. Oh n I cnt frgt last month, we wr in the same stadium singin the same songs, hahahaa one of the best night in my life.thx Mike, bless ya , bless Anna, bless Otis, bless LP. Love ya’ll