Lisa Ling’s “Our America” Shines Light On Veterans and PTSD

November 10, 2011

Lisa Ling is one of the most talented and brilliant journalists on the planet.  I don’t know how she manages to find the compelling stories she finds, or how she manages to cover so many, but it’s jaw-dropping.  And in the 21 years she’s been doing it, she calls the piece airing tomorrow night “one of the most important she’s ever done.”

This amazing episode of her program “Our America With Lisa Ling” is about soldiers with post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD).  It is a powerful look into the damage military veterans face when they return home.

In Lisa’s words: “This is an entire generation of young men and women who are battling PTSD and are totally forgotten.  18 suicides a day.  The crisis has only just begun.”

My bandmates and I often hear from many of our fans in the military.  They come to our shows, some even belong to the fan club, and they’ve invited us to their bases.  It was them that I thought of first.  The episode is called “Invisible Wounds Of War” and airs on Veteran’s Day, November 11th at 5-6p.m. on OWN.

My thoughts and respect go out to our vets.  Happy Veteran’s Day; you have my heartfelt best wishes and thanks.

Here’s Lisa talking about the episode:

1. zahralp on December 25, 2011 at 12:04 am

war is just such a waist of humanity

2. doomsdaylol on November 19, 2011 at 2:02 am

LOL. Just….lol.

3. thegluelpfan on November 18, 2011 at 4:17 am

Kudos for Lisa for always doing such an amazing job.That is a very serious issue that hasn’t really gotten much of attention and I really think this is a great way to inform the people about how affected those veterans are from doing the job of protecting us.Great job!

4. officialkayv on November 16, 2011 at 9:18 am

& yes check out my what i’ve done remix made in 2008 )then i used to play with samples now i play instruments U R MY IDOL man : D )

5. officialkayv on November 16, 2011 at 9:13 am

Mike !!!!

Bang Three (What I’ve Done Original Demo) IZ WAY BETTER THAN DA ORIGINAL

M BANGIN THIS ALL DAY :D

6. mrmmusictech on November 16, 2011 at 6:08 am

7. mrmmusictech on November 16, 2011 at 6:07 am

i’m soooo sorry Mike for spamming! but your blog site gets me a lot of views!! so forgive me if you find me irritating! i just want people to listen to my music! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AMYLWUBQkDU
    thanks MIKE! and enjoy it people!!

8. xtaticline on November 15, 2011 at 6:40 pm

Experimental / Rap / Rock

9. xtaticline on November 15, 2011 at 6:37 pm

Experimental / Rap / Rock

10. xtaticline on November 15, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Experimental / Rap / Rock

11. counter17 on November 14, 2011 at 9:03 pm

Mike what did you say in the end of the speech…
    Pls complete the story..
    Thanx

12. ristinw on November 14, 2011 at 6:54 pm

Thank you for giving me a photo inspiration on that day. :)

13. michelletodorovic on November 14, 2011 at 1:58 pm

I will do a presentation about you (and Fort Minor/Linkin Park) in school on friday and it would be so great if you could give me some informations about you, Fort Minor and/or Linkin Park.. sth. I maybe don’t know yet or perhaps a kind of interview or sth.

Best wishes from Germany, Michelle :)

14. vickykun on November 14, 2011 at 3:34 am

I´m so glad she did it.
    She really tries to understand their pain.
    But, I don´t know. Please don´t get me wrong Mikey, but I´m totally against the war and its repercussions.

I believe that there was not going to be veterans if we didn´t have wars.
    Why keep prolonging the pain that the war brings?

If we didn´t have wars, we were not going to have , victims, veterans or even hurt people ( injured by the war).

You know what I mean? I didn´t want to sound rude or insensible… I just…
    Okay forget it.

kiss kiss

15. Ashikin on November 11, 2011 at 6:03 pm

Great! At least there are people connect directly with them, trying to understand their agony. The depression must be very unbearable. I hope Lisa able to help them to lift up their spirit back even a little.

The world is connecting.

16. michelle2014 on November 11, 2011 at 12:26 pm

i understand this one personally.
    many of my family members,and family friends are in the army.
    i have seen some of the things that can happen.
    their mind never rest and they are always scared and on an adrenalin rush.
    it’s sad that the price of protection is almost insanity.

thanks mike this really touched my heart.

17. nutritionelles on November 11, 2011 at 9:17 am

We were one of those few schools to have a regular school day today for what ever reason, but I’m happy we did, just because we talked about this with one teacher. She’s one of the most smart persons in the world and everybody thinks she’s just boring and over dramatic cause she’s always talking about this kind of stuff, but I’m really thankfull for it. We all know that the world isn’t fair ect, but it isn’t until someone you truly admire talks you about it that it hits you, and that’s what you guys are also doing.In all of it’s clishéness, it makes me want to change the world. Happy veteran’s day guys!

18. cincybmxlpfreak on November 11, 2011 at 8:52 am

Yeah. It’s amazing what military members go through. I, myself, am an LPUer and an Air Force wife and I’ve seen the struggles that those in the military go through, and have even had to be on the other side of the line where my husband and I were apart for months at a time for his work. It’s not always easy, but I love that I can call my husband my hero. :) He sacrifices for the U.S. by having to have those tough moments and be away from his friends and family, but he sacrifices for me too so that I can have the opportunity to earn a Bachelor’s degree and have a career. :) I love and appreciate him so much for that. :) <3

19. curlylp on November 11, 2011 at 7:48 am

It’s gonna be a great program, i see. Many people don’t know that many young men and women are battling PTSD in silence and most of the time without help. It’s sad…

20. yomarqueslp on November 11, 2011 at 6:15 am

That’s a really great and important work by Lisa Ling, these people deserve some attention as well and I was really moved with the video. I hope I can watch this episode.
    Also, I love the picture you chose for this post, Mike! Once again, thanks for sharing :)

21. 1oo71 on November 11, 2011 at 6:06 am

My dad got held up at gunpoint once and is now pretty paranoid about locking windows and doors. Reminds me of the soldier in the video.
    I wonder if the way people hold soldiers in such high regard is a hindrance to them. Maybe they feel they have to be ‘strong’ to uphold their reputation… I don’t know… I wonder if they know what they’re getting into before they sign up. Maybe the episode will tell us.

p.s. where’s the art from?

22. lpsoldiersftw on November 11, 2011 at 3:12 am

The entire world should be participated in this. Happy Veterans Day!
    (The Nyan Cat at the end was a bit random though.) An

23. adiek84 on November 11, 2011 at 2:13 am

Great program! It’s awful how society always expects soldiers to be tough and just deal with all the horrible stuff they see on their own. I wish I could see the program. Maybe they make it available online, too.
    In other news, stay tuned for the 2nd issue of my “Power the World”-week! The first issue showed how clean energy was brought to Bahir in India, the second one will feature two articles! One about a midwife in Haiti and another one about US students providing solar power for Haitian schoolchildren. Intersting stuff! Click my name to get there.

PS: Mike, who’s the pic from? Is it Spaceknuckle?

24. evooba on November 11, 2011 at 1:30 am

I wish we had such a day here in Greece. Everything is so messed up over here (i’m sure you’ve heard on the news). Anyways, happy Veterans day! It’s really great to see people pay some respect to those who put their lives on the line for their country everyday. It’s truly amazing!

25. Shinoda's Army on November 11, 2011 at 12:49 am

Wars have to stop existing. There is no need, besides political interests. Rich people command poor people to go kill themselves for a territory. They die for a business. Is it fair nowadays to send someone to death for a piece of earth or for petroleum? This is crazy. My own close relative died few years ago in one of these missions. His death didn’t give us anything, it just ripped a part of our family.

• Alexandra Nofi on November 11, 2011 at 5:42 am

No human life, or the life of any being on this planet for that matter, is worth a piece of the Earth’s crust.

26. thepixelpod on November 10, 2011 at 11:10 pm

that is rlly sad :(.
    nyan cat t-shirt? he

27. dcl1982 on November 10, 2011 at 10:49 pm

I think it’s great that in this day and age people are beginning to look at a topic such as this. It’s devastating that no one did much of anything for Vietnam Vets back in the 60/70’s.

28. aline4lp on November 10, 2011 at 10:31 pm

It’s very sad that these people don’t get much attention… It makes me think of the song “Wisdom, Justice, and Love”, though that came from a different backround. I hope I can watch the episode.
    Thanks for sharing Mike, this is a serious topic.