Ron English, POSE, and KC Ortiz

Two amazing art shows open this weekend in LA.  One by a seasoned veteran, the other by two fresh faces taking things to the next level.

WHITEWASH opens at Known Gallery on Saturday.   Painter POSE takes a literal (but effective) approach to the theme, his pieces semi-obscured by clean graphic splashes of white paint; photographer KC takes a more conceptual approach, explaining “Much of the work I do covers those who have been ‘whitewashed,’ so to speak, by history and policy…Specifically, the work I will be exhibiting is from West Papua and Burma. You won’t find either of those ‘nations’ on the map, as both have been essentially ‘whitewashed’ away.”  Both artists’ work sees them stepping up to a new level of expertise in their medium.

Also this weekend, the imitable Ron English opens the doors to SEASONS IN SUPERBIA at Corey Helford Gallery.  Ron’s “popaganda” style is known the world over, from his iconic “Supersize Me” images to his “Abraham Obama.”  Ron is one of my favorite painters, and this show is a can’t miss.

1. zahralp on December 25, 2011 at 12:01 am

gotta be awesome Ron English is such a bomb \m/

2. cherrybubble89 on November 28, 2011 at 8:19 am

3. highlandpark1999 on November 26, 2011 at 11:07 pm

Awesome stuff by Ron English!
    Mike, do you own any art by Ron English or any particular piece that you like the most?
    For me, I like his McSupersize Ronald figure, he is so fat and jolly!!

4. Radyo Plexus on November 22, 2011 at 12:36 pm

Hi Mike! I don’t think this was released here in Philippines. Hope this album will be available soon.. really want a copy of it! It’s cool. :) [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YAxEKGrJgjs&w=420&h=315%5D

5. spraypaintninkpens on November 22, 2011 at 5:40 am

Happy 6th anniversary of TRT. Bring back FM!

6. emzlp123 on November 22, 2011 at 1:21 am

I love Ron Englishs work. Wish i could go but travel would be a bit expensive from the UK lol
    Oh and LPU11 is epic! Thank you and all of LP and the LPU team for creating it!

7. doomsdaylol on November 19, 2011 at 1:54 am

Whitewashed but covered in red eh?

8. adiek84 on November 18, 2011 at 3:38 pm

I love the concept of the Whitewash show. Pose is one of my favourite artists and I’ve heard some good stuff about KC Ortiz, too. Didn’t he just have an art show at Known a while ago?
    Ron English is just incredible. It’s Supurbia, not Superbia, by the way. I love his hulk baby and the camo deer. His mural at Art Basel Miami was so awesome. I used it as a wallpaper for my cell phone which made me go crazy for a few month, but it was too awesome to just replace it. Who cares if you can’t see anything on the screen. I’m really looking forward to Art Basel this year. There are so many great artists everytime. You gonna be there? Or contributing some art like last year?

9. vickykun on November 18, 2011 at 1:39 pm

A-m-a-z-i-n-g *-*
    You don´t know How much I fell in love with the Barbie one*-*

awwwn;.;
    Makes me envy you for leaving near of the greatest galleries in L.A;.;

Here in Sao Paulo we don´t have too many galleries;..;

But we have a lot of museums ( at least)

Kiss Kiss

p.s: LMFAO to the picture of the King of Beer. Haha. Feisty.

10. sunshinebandandeventpromotions on November 18, 2011 at 9:07 am

I also do my own artwork Mike. Id post it so you could see but I doubt you will even notice this comment Im posting.. :/

11. evooba on November 18, 2011 at 8:00 am

Both art shows seem promising. Ron English is indeed well known, I am a fan as well but Pose’s pieces look interesting. Have fun at both :)

PS. Thank you for LPU11. It’s exactly what we asked for. Loving it so far ;)

12. thegluelpfan on November 18, 2011 at 4:20 am

Always been a big fan of Ron English…and the pieces by Pose are looking pretty interesting.Oh and I just love the Barbie :D

13. counter17 on November 18, 2011 at 1:52 am

Mike how is the intro for FAINT made?????
    Is it Violins???
    What effects????

14. jershalp on November 17, 2011 at 11:36 pm

All of the exhibits look pretty awesome…..
    Wish i could see them personally….

15. dcl1982 on November 17, 2011 at 11:20 pm

I’m not really into politics, but, I like Ron English’s work the best. The last painting is my favorite.

16. derekoswald on November 17, 2011 at 8:31 pm

Sorry meant to say difficult. I need coffee.

17. derekoswald on November 17, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Hey Mike, sorry to post something semi unrelated on your blog, but the fans are trying to figure out exactly what the lyrics are on LPU11. Due to the nature of some of the recordings it’s proven rather different, and we hope you can help by posting the official versions. Here’s what we figured out on our own: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35034

Hope you can help, and thanks for LPU11. Best LPU in years.

Thanks Mike,
    Derek

18. ristinw on November 17, 2011 at 8:27 pm

wo ist ihre Kleidung? XD

19. cincybmxlpfreak on November 17, 2011 at 8:02 pm

I absolutely love that barbie doll one.

20. michelle2014 on November 17, 2011 at 7:04 pm

all of this is beautiful EXCEPT the jesus with the beer.
    if that wasnt there i would like it MUCH more

21. Alexandra Nofi on November 17, 2011 at 6:46 pm

I like Mr. English because he is different, without trying too hard or being too flashy. He has a specific style of art that only he can create, and that only he can express best. I love how clear his concepts are, and how as political as his work can sometimes be, it’s soft and light hearted. Maybe it has to do with my building love of politics…

Side note: In the past you and Brad have both been very supportive of gay marriage and I thank you for that. I know you don’t like to get into politics with fans because of possibly influencing people, but I like knowing that you respect myself and others and how we live our lives.

22. Braffschein on November 17, 2011 at 6:42 pm

THE KING OF BEERS OMG this is amazing.
    I’m dying to see everything…at least in the Internet.
    Thanks for sharing, Mike

23. yomarqueslp on November 17, 2011 at 6:41 pm

I wish I could see this! It looks awesome :)

24. kathyxx on November 17, 2011 at 6:39 pm

all this stuff just makes me jelly i cant see these personally..