Best Songs of 2011

December 30, 2011

In no particular order, my favorite songs of the year that were available on Spotify.

Here’s a link, for those who want to listen or subscribe in Spotify:

Editor’s note: I would have included Meg Myers’ “Monster” and Azelia Banks’ “212″, but they were not available on the Spotify service.

And video of the year goes to IS TRPOICAL for this gem, “The Greeks”:

1. macfraserblockheads on January 27, 2012 at 11:32 am

nice list :)

maybe you give this unknown band a chance
    some people say there is a little hybrid theory touch in it ;)

2. kattoda on January 12, 2012 at 9:47 am

Awesome songs!!!

3. Xenith on January 11, 2012 at 6:10 am

Wow… Cheers Mike, I would have never have found ‘Sail’ or ‘Young Blood’ which are now on my top ten most played.

Would like to add these two little gems for your attention :

4. brysislupin on January 10, 2012 at 1:57 pm

Nice songs. GREAT video!

5. natibelga on January 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Warner Bros, So… No problem!

6. natibelga on January 7, 2012 at 12:44 pm

7. natibelga on January 7, 2012 at 12:37 pm

Nice list. I ‘ll just change “Lights” for Mutemath.

8. ves13 on January 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

This has nothing to do with your chart but still…First let me wish you all the best in 2012. This is my first post, I’m Vesna and I’m writing from Slovenia. I have been listening to A Thousand Suns steadily for the last year and I just wanted you to know that I love the whole album as it is, each and every song fits in perfectly. Everything flows smoothly . Iridescent reminds me of a dear friend; he was there “impossibly alone”. He died in 2000 and I always think of him when I hear the song. Waiting for the End is a triumphant song; one can conquer anything. Keep up the great work and I hope the next album comes out soon. Could you possibly come to Slovenia or maybe Austria or Croatia?

9. thegluelpfan on January 6, 2012 at 11:44 am

That is a very rad video… :D I really couldn’t make a top songs list…like ever!But I know that no matter what year is it Linkin Park will always be number one in my list and everything else will take the rest of the spots xD

10. jozzie8 on January 4, 2012 at 2:01 am

Hmmm, kids and violence not sure if that’s a good mix. Anyway love The Naked And Famous & Foster The People.

11. artemis2620 on January 3, 2012 at 4:48 am

hey mike happy new year :) . i really cant understand why this video is called ‘the creeks’? why do u think?

12. counter17 on January 2, 2012 at 12:08 pm

MIKE
    I want to write good LYRICS
    How to go about it…
    Any suggestions what can I do to improve my lyrics???
    (WHAT MATERIAL SHOULD I READ?)

13. ostgur on January 2, 2012 at 9:21 am

I don’t have Spotify, but GBC Opening Ceremony was last year best from you, strange things Mike, anyway check Russian true underground music

14. aline4lp on January 2, 2012 at 5:12 am

Wow, some songs sound really great!
    Thanks for sharing, Mike :)

I especially like MANNERS by ICONA POP, I actually listend to this song for the first time, but I already knew kinda remix by CHIDDY BANG called MIND YOUR MANNERS. There he uses samples of the original MANNERS

It sounds great, you can listen here:

15. mssueellen on January 1, 2012 at 9:09 pm

Thanx for sharing this with your fans; Foster The People was one of my favorites this year too! Wish you a Happy, Full of success Year, to you and the band, as well for your family. By the way, I wanna thank you too because you have encourage me to create my own blog and write like you do, share with people thoughts, comments, and everything that will come up to my mind when I get the chance. Obviously not so cool things yet, but I’m just beginning. THANX AGAIN!!!

16. jansahli on January 1, 2012 at 1:55 pm

My favorite Songs 2011

Adam Haworth Stephens “Praises In Your Name”
    Timo Räisänen “Don’t Let the Devil Ruin It All”
    Chris Riffle “Downstream”
    Jukebox the Ghost “Good Day”
    Boy & Bear “Feeding Line”
    Young Rebel Set “If I Was”
    Doug Burr “And When We Awoke”
    Peasant “Hard Times”
    Joshua James “Crooked Arrow”
    Ravens & Chimes “Carousel”

17. shivani94 on January 1, 2012 at 6:12 am

@m_shinoda: A very happy new year to you and linkin park…..may you guies get a lot of success, love and happiness….. :)

18. hdolubizno on December 31, 2011 at 5:34 pm

Jonathan Bates’ new album is one of my favorites as well! Huggin’ and Kissin’ was my favorite track on the album. You should check out SONOIO if you haven’t heard of Alessandro Cortini’s new project.

19. derekoswald on December 31, 2011 at 3:05 pm

Excellent list. Agree with this very highly. Btw: http://www.lpassociation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35228 any chance we can see a trance remix from the Shinoda himself? :P Would be awesome. – Derek

20. Nina Nine on December 31, 2011 at 1:12 pm

I know this it’s nothing to see with that but I was watching the video “we made it” it’s amazing see you to play a piano, and rapping… you look so good! HAPPY NEW YEAR MIKE! You deserve a wonderful life with your family! Be happy!! :)

21. cincybmxlpfreak on December 31, 2011 at 11:51 am

The Naked And Famous “Young Blood” is on my top 5 best songs for the year as well and I had a feeling you were gonna put AWOLNATION “Sail” on there. Idk why, but that song just does NOT do it for me. It’s boring in my opinion. I don’t feel like they change the beat of the song enough for me to enjoy it without getting bored. There weren’t a lot of songs this year that stood out to me, but this is my top 5 in no particular order:
    -The Naked And Famous “Young Blood”
    -Young The Giant “My Body”
    -Young The Giant “Cough Syrup”
    -Foster The People “Helena Beat”
    -Lady Antebellum “Just A Kiss”
    And that video is awesome. Lol!

22. shinodacakes77 on December 31, 2011 at 9:10 am

I too enjoy pumped up kicks haha you should check out the Karmin version of it as well, they did a great job covering it. Happy new year Mike, be safe :)

23. diegodelsonlp on December 31, 2011 at 8:18 am

uhmmmm…. Happy New Year for all of you!!! Im Stupid n_n

24. diegodelsonlp on December 31, 2011 at 8:17 am

And Coldplay??? Red Hot Chilli Peppers??

Mike one question. we have seen Guitar Solo, drum solo, Mr.Hahn solos, but….. Bass Solo?? When Phoenix do it something different?? Me gustaria escuchar una cancion donde todos los instrumentos tengan una gran participacion y sea una tremenda cancion :)

25. yomarqueslp on December 31, 2011 at 6:39 am

Nice list! The video is really funny too. Thanks for sharing!
    Also, I wanna wish you a Happy New Year! All the best to you and to the other guys in the band :)

26. adiek84 on December 31, 2011 at 6:24 am

Very nice list! I’m totally addicted to Azealia Banks’ “212″! I’m definitely gonna dance into the new year to this song. I’ve also made a list of my favorite songs including The Naked and Famous, Ryu, Enter Shikari, Florence & The Machine, Tyler, the Creator, & many more. You can see it here: http://wp.me/p153tN-1cW
    I’ll also do a big end of year post later with a collection of Top 5 lists of my readers with contributions from Ryan Shuck, visual artists Luke Chueh, Estria & Remi/Rough and many LP fans :D. I love those end of year lists! :-)

27. vickykun on December 31, 2011 at 5:47 am

Great list <3

The only songs I know are:
    -Yonkers (love the beat)
    -Pumped up Kicks ( amazing;.;)
    -Young blood (hot!)

I ´loled´ so hard with that video ( Yeah, I love creating neologisms, even with my awful english).

Happy new year! I hope all your dreams and desires come true in 2012 <3
    Love you from bottom of my kidney /justplaying. You know it´s from my heart.

Kiss Kiss

28. evooba on December 31, 2011 at 3:27 am

Loving the fact that GBC are on that list. Too bad they’re not doing good. I really liked them and their music :/ Interesting playlist overall :) Roots, The Naked and Famous, Awolnation and Foster the People are my favorites. Thx for sharing and for taking the screenshot. Spotify is not available in Greece yet unfortunately.

PS. Happy New Year!

29. anvanoppens on December 31, 2011 at 2:27 am

I’m really glad I subscribed to that already, it’s great. You’ve got great taste! BTW, Happy Newyear in advance, to Mike & all the readers here! An.

30. 1oo71 on December 30, 2011 at 11:34 pm

Thanks for screencapping, Mike. I can’t visit your channel because Spotify’s not yet available in Australia.

31. dcl1982 on December 30, 2011 at 10:54 pm

Some of the songs are great! The Is Tropical video is AMAZING!!! I love it!

32. Jersha_LP on December 30, 2011 at 9:41 pm

Pumped Up Kicks is one of my fav songs too :D
    Happy New Year Mike !!

33. koocoomoo on December 30, 2011 at 9:17 pm

Hehehehe… one of your favorite songs is called Perth? Were you wearing your purse on a horse in Perth when you heard the verse? or should I say, verth?

34. skyzlmt on December 30, 2011 at 9:02 pm

MS, you check out The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo OST? HOLYBALLS! TR is nuts! You like How To Destroy Angels (Reznor & his wife)? Looking forward to their new record soon.

35. Braffschein on December 30, 2011 at 8:33 pm

Nice tracks, man. I always trust your musical taste.

36. purnamalp on December 30, 2011 at 8:24 pm

I saw Jay-Z, nice :)Q&A on twitter.DONE! How about quick chat???

37. emzlp123 on December 30, 2011 at 8:21 pm

Nice … I have a few of those tracks myself. Glad The Roots made it in there, Undun is a very good album.
    Happy New Year Mike, hope you have a good one XD

38. OOOOORION on December 30, 2011 at 8:20 pm

Those are my favorites also, cool. Do you think art paints could feature in movies btw? Would you do it?

39. michelle2014 on December 30, 2011 at 8:17 pm

HIT US UP ON USTREAM

40. michelle2014 on December 30, 2011 at 8:16 pm

Love
    SAIL AND PUMPED UP KICKS.

GREAT SONGS FOR WHEN YOUR DRIVING …..

HAPPY NEW YEAR MIKE

41. colinreid on December 30, 2011 at 8:12 pm

Interesting. Want to pop onto the LPU for a quick chat?