The Raid Sundance Wrap-Up

January 24, 2012

Had a great time at Sundance this past weekend.  This was the premiere of the film with the new score.  All the award-winning showings of the movie up to this point have been with the previous score, and the reviews have been amazing…so I was a bit nervous to see how critics reacted to it with the new music.  Needless to say, I was relieved to see that people still liked it, some saying they even liked it more with the new music.

I went to the premiere with an old friend, Ken Block.  Most of you probably know him from this.  Ken started DC shoes back in the day, and is a pretty inspirational and fun dude.

With the premiere over, and a change to relax, we got together with some mutual friends to hang.  Met Steve Berra.  Awesome dude, I could have talked to him for hours.

Did a little press too, with the director (Gareth Evans) and my scoring partner (Joe Trapanese).  Great guys.

Wrapped up the weekend with a party for The Raid, and a set by Deadmau5.

All in all, a great trip.  Lots of awesome reviews about the film and the new score.  Here’s a new (super bloody) taste of what you’re in store for when the movie comes out in a couple months…

1. brysislupin on March 7, 2012 at 11:30 am

I´m really excited to watch the movie and see (i mean hear XD) how your score fits the movie.
    I´ll probably wacth it with my best friends, he´s an LP hardcore fan too and he loves martial arts so I guess we will enjoy it :)

2. thegluelpfan on February 18, 2012 at 5:46 pm

A little late on commenting here but still…needless to say I’m really looking forward to seeing the movie and I do hope it’s released worldwide…will it be?I also would love to get like a CD with just the score that would be really great.

3. ramilka on February 11, 2012 at 9:04 pm

Mike, Happy birthday to you! I wish you creative successes, health, good luck, we very much love you!RUSSIA!!

4. puspamiranda on February 5, 2012 at 12:13 am

Reblogged this on puspamiranda and commented:
    I am… *speechless*. You’re so cool mike! \m/

5. puspamiranda on February 5, 2012 at 12:05 am

Reblogged this on puspamiranda and commented:
    I am… *speechless*. You’re so cool mike! \m/

6. mikeecem on February 2, 2012 at 2:15 am

Mike this is amazing post. i think you had great time. i love these pics. Will you make musics for movies like this again? You’re adept in the point! i proud of you

7. priyashi on February 2, 2012 at 12:34 am

congratulations mike

8. drumrruben on January 29, 2012 at 11:43 pm

Hi, looking good man :)
    But um, I wanted to tell you that your name isn’t featured in the music section on the IMDb.com site when you look up the movie. I could edit it and let them know you should be in there but I don’t really know how to do that so, I thought, I’m just gonna tell ya.
    Have a great day! Yo!

9. shinodacakes77 on January 26, 2012 at 9:25 am

That’s great!! Haha I love all the pictures you posted :D

10. ristinw on January 25, 2012 at 11:15 pm

Sounds like an interesting movie. But the poster makes me think of a war type version of Resident Evil. I’m a bit scared… >0<

11. adiek84 on January 25, 2012 at 1:03 pm

Hey Mike, congrats for all the great reviews of your score! People were saying some really nice things about it and The Raid in general. Seems like you had a really nice and successful weekend in Utah!
    I don’t know Ken Block or Steva Berra, but if that Instagram picture was shot in Steve Berra’s house, he owns your artwork, which means that the dude has taste! That is, if he didn’t just hang it there, cause you were his guest …;-) What is so special about The Raid, that made you want to score it? I know that the film must be great (according to reviews), but you also said that you have turned down some offers for scores. So how’s “The Raid” different?

12. jagta on January 25, 2012 at 11:25 am

Oooohh! Looks like you have all the time in the world. Enjoying movies with friends. It’s good to see you relax a bit not frying your brain cells in the studio for the new album. Any Responses to fans again Mike?

13. ves13 on January 25, 2012 at 8:36 am

Sorry, probably a bad joke.

14. ves13 on January 25, 2012 at 8:32 am

Is it you standing in front of that building….?

15. exotiquesfrors on January 25, 2012 at 6:48 am

Awesome man!! Waiting for official OST release :)
    Don’t sure the film will distribute in my country (Thailand) but sure I dot’n miss your score.
    Take care, my inspiration.

ps. I miss LP tour in Bangkok, really sad cause my home town was flooded :(

16. vickykun on January 25, 2012 at 6:19 am

Congratulations for the sucess of “The Raid”. To all of you!

I liked the exclusive vid <3
    Amazing job with the soundtrack

17. anvanoppens on January 25, 2012 at 5:01 am

Will the film be out in cinemas worldwide?

18. sonokeling2011 on January 25, 2012 at 4:45 am

Wow…. Mike Shinoda… Iko Uwais… Indonesia … Time moves so slow when u r waiting for March to come.

19. Lambertus Hermawan on January 25, 2012 at 3:40 am

I’ve been waiting for this film in Indonesia since you wrote it in your website, Mike. Can’t wait for it!

20. Xenith on January 25, 2012 at 2:43 am

Cant get the video in the UK booo. This makes me a sad panda… Any chance of a soundcloud demo Mike?

21. purnamalp on January 25, 2012 at 2:08 am

Can’t wait for the premier here in Indonesia :)

22. milasouza11 on January 25, 2012 at 1:34 am

Cool =D

23. ves13 on January 25, 2012 at 12:05 am

Your horizons are broadening with every project that you do. It’s inspiring. I’m not a fan of such movies but I might watch it anyway. It’s great that you have fut at what you do. Take care, Vesna

24. Jersha_LP on January 24, 2012 at 9:14 pm

Reblogged this on jershalp and commented:
    I want the score now….

25. Jersha_LP on January 24, 2012 at 9:13 pm

Nice to see you had a great time :)
    P.S – Love the new look :D

26. gustina05 on January 24, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Wowww Mike did you have fun?? I cant wait to see the movie, Im not a fan of this kind of movies but I’ll watch it for your work !!!!!!! it seems very interesting- here in Argentina I will have to wait a little longer to see it than you guys!!!- But anyway ..congratulations for everything Mike! you’re an awesome artist.

27. lazizash on January 24, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Must watch movie! And yeah, your score was great! I’ve heard it.

28. linkinparkette on January 24, 2012 at 6:36 pm

yeahhh i couldnt do it.. but my brother, i know he would watch it.. he would probably dig the movie, and i dig the song :3

29. Nina Nine on January 24, 2012 at 6:32 pm

Congrats Mike! :) it seems like everything work very well for you! You got a gift, you’re so talented and a great person, a big role model! you deserve nothing less than the best! I wish you all the best luck! And I really hope you’ll be happy always! :) <3

30. alexdunmyer on January 24, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Mike, you continue to get cooler. One weekend, and you meet a pro rally driver, a pro skater AND get to see a Deadmau5 set?! Awesome.

31. cincybmxlpfreak on January 24, 2012 at 4:38 pm

OOOOOHHHH!!! NOW I remember where I know Ken Block from!! That’s pretty cool. Has he ever gotten you into a rally car?

• M Shinoda on January 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm

I’m lucky to say, “yes”

32. nikoshinoda on January 24, 2012 at 4:02 pm

wowwwwwwwwwww awesome love yr jobs so much and congraturaton wz u hahaha cheers!

33. thepixelpod on January 24, 2012 at 2:10 pm

cool weekend for u :P!

34. anvanoppens on January 24, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Good to hear! We’ve seen the pictures before :) Looks like you can get along pretty well with anybody! And the video seems pretty crazy. I really hope it will be released WORLDWIDE, definately gonna watch it then (even though it’s not my favorite style, it impressed me already). Take care!
    -An (@LPSOLDIERSFTW)

35. parry13 on January 24, 2012 at 1:55 pm

So great look Mike, I love your music, really U deserve it!!

36. Alexandra Nofi on January 24, 2012 at 12:57 pm

This must have been so much fun for you :D Thanks for the trailer, so much win happening there. Lol, first rule of self defense, run away. Second rule, run to the opponent, and kick ass. This makes me want to get back into Kenpo, and other styles, because I used to know how to disarm attackers, without hurting the attacker.

37. dcl1982 on January 24, 2012 at 12:34 pm

Nice! How many of the instruments did you play for the finished version of the score?

38. aberu on January 24, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Mike, why your name is not on the poster for the movie? if you did the score for the film :/

• M Shinoda on January 24, 2012 at 11:08 pm

Old poster.

39. evooba on January 24, 2012 at 12:01 pm

From yours and Ken’s pics on instagram (and viddy) seems like you had tons of fun in Sundance. Can’t wait to see the movie and listen to the score. Hopefully it won’t take too long after the US premiere for the film to be available in Greece!

Have a nice week…and thx for the updates :)

40. meteoron on January 24, 2012 at 11:48 am

Yeah man.
    What you think about deadmau5?

41. yomarqueslp on January 24, 2012 at 11:45 am

Glad you had fun, Mike. Can’t wait to watch the movie!

42. emzlp123 on January 24, 2012 at 11:36 am

Can’t wait to see this film! I would’ve seen it even if you hadn’t of been doing the score but that makes it even better!
    It was really cool seeing all the instagram updates from you and Block. Especially the one of you drawing the horse haha.
    Hope you had fun at Sundance!
    Peace!

43. Tacy_DS on January 24, 2012 at 11:27 am

Congratulations…and can’t wait to see the movie!!!! Take care!!!

44. colinreid on January 24, 2012 at 11:22 am

Looks like you had fun dude. To wrap this up even more, would it be possible if we could download the tracks from your score?

Take care

• M Shinoda on January 24, 2012 at 11:09 pm

A release of the score is hopefully in the works. It’s fun to listen to without visuals.

45. Shinoda's Army on January 24, 2012 at 11:21 am

He’s actually a cool guy.
    Again congratulations for the movie! What’s next from you? A Linkin Park album produced entirely by Mike Shinoda?