Human Hearts

March 2, 2012

(Art by Antony Micallef)

Recently, our band’s business manager, Jonathan, shared a shocking story with us.  His childhood friend had passed away from a heart attack at the young age of 42.  At the funeral, Jonathan and his friends were talking about their mutual friend’s passing, and decided to all get their hearts checked.

Jonathan went to the doctor, who recommended a “CT Angiogram.”  It bears mentioning that Jonathan is, at a glance, a very healthy guy.  He’s arguably fitter than I am, eats better, and exercises more often.  He has a wife and beautiful children.  He had absolutely no reason to believe he had heart problems.  Jonathan was waiting for results in the doctor’s office.  The doctors came in, and were obviously not happy.

Jonathan was terrified.

They told him he had nearly 100% blockage in his heart.  If he didn’t get immediate attention, he would have likely been dead within the month.

After calling his family and crying on the phone, he went into surgery.  He ended up receiving a stent to restore blood flow, and decided to take on a lifetime change in diet and lifestyle.  Since then, he has started a foundation called the Heartview Global Foundation.  Their goals include: creating a fund to pay for the CT Angiogram for people who can’t afford it, spreading the message of awareness, and encouraging more medical insurance companies to cover the cost of these life-saving tests.  Jonathan’s personal goal is to “save thousands of lives.”

If you have any family history of heart problems, or if you simply don’t know, please get tested right away.

///

From Dr. Satinder Bhatia, MD:

Coronary CT angiography (CTA) represents a great advance in the early detection of coronary artery disease. Coronary artery disease (CAD – hardening of the arteries) is often clinically silent (no recognizable symptoms). Early detection of CAD can lead to aggressive prevention strategies to avert heart attacks and save lives. CTA represents a noninvasive modality for the early detection of CAD. Using an ultrafast scanner and injection of a contrast material through a peripheral vein, high resolution images of the coronary arteries can be obtained. Such images were previously only available via invasive coronary angiography that involves the introduction of catheters into the coronary arteries. CTA allows the visualization of the coronary arteries and detection of stenosis (narrowing), hard plaque (calcified cholesterol deposition), soft plaque (non calcified plaque) and vulnerable or high risk plaque (increased risk for acute events such as heart attack). This noninvasive technology is the only methodology that visualizes soft plaque. By identification of arterial disease, specific treatments can be applied for the prevention of cardiovascular events (heart attack, sudden death). CTA represents a major advance in the early detection of CAD in individuals at risk and allows the ability to detect disease in advance of symptoms or clinical presentation. Judicious application of CTA technology can lead to early detection and treatment of CAD, prevent heart attacks and save lives.

1. thegrandkaidbz on May 12, 2012 at 8:55 pm

2. bastete1992 on April 3, 2012 at 11:22 am

Reblogged this on Bastete's Blog and commented:
    This is really serious.

3. thegluelpfan on March 25, 2012 at 1:25 pm

It really is important that people care about these kind of foundations and all because really not all people can afford that and we’re talking about huge risks for a person’s life here…

4. vinicius1sccp on March 19, 2012 at 11:01 pm

people like these changes the world.

5. therosko on March 12, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Reblogged this on I can't think of a title.

6. chrisfullam on March 10, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Hey Mike – I lost my mom to a heart attack a few years back, and like you, maybe wasn’t so informed on how common heart attacks at this age are. My mom was early 50s, but still too young. This is a great message to spread, because unlike many other afflictions/diseases, heart diseases are VERY preventable. It’s a case where awareness alone can have such a huge impact.

Eat healthier.
    Exercise.
    See your doctor and get your vitals checked regularly.

On a related note – losing my mom made me realize to live in the now because you don’t know when your story is over. I dreamed of pursuing music for years, and finally made the leap afterwards and still at it.

-Chris
    CHARETTA

7. Jersha Grace on March 9, 2012 at 3:35 am

Nice of you to put this up.

8. awi on March 5, 2012 at 4:10 am

Reblogged this on escritura.

9. Radyo Plexus on March 5, 2012 at 4:03 am

Reblogged this on Xandro Pontillas.

10. Radyo Plexus on March 5, 2012 at 3:51 am

I’m going to reblog this. Thanx Mike!

11. laricyabourdon on March 4, 2012 at 10:07 pm

very late comment came from me but i obviously will say thanks for sharing this info. very important.

12. milasouza11 on March 3, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Thanks for sharing Mike!

God Bless us Everyone ♪

13. itsumademorokku on March 3, 2012 at 2:17 pm

well wasn’t that shocking for me
    there where a lot heart problem related death’s in my family and somehow i still don’t care…guess its cause i almost died a few times so I’m not scared anymore
    but i definitely get a checkup if I’m going to have a little family someday ;]

I just read linkinlayra’s post and thought: Mike grab chester, take him to a hospital and don’t let him leave until he got every possible checkup!

…those for woman as well! LOL

take care and have some fun
    *hug*

14. jagta on March 3, 2012 at 7:47 am

I got a Rheumatic Heart disease since I was 7yrs.old. And the doctor said kinda like I’m fine with it right know. Are this Heartview Global Foundation, “Global” means as in global (worldwide)?! How I wish I have time to check my heart up. Sometimes I got blackouts for 2 secs. Whew! I’m still alive commenting on your blog. TAke care!

15. nurmalasyahbani on March 3, 2012 at 5:42 am

After moving back home, he monthly checked her heart problem to doctor. A year passed, my dad tried alternative treatment for 2 months. Now, his heart’s blockage is decreasing, and he is also trying to stop drinking his cardiac medicine. I know that life is god’s decision, our duty is just trying, trying, and trying.

16. nurmalasyahbani on March 3, 2012 at 5:41 am

In short, my dad was approximately in ICU for 10 days, after that he was moved to Mitra Hospital at Jakarta for having cathether. Based on the catheher result, Doctor told me and my mother that my dad has 5 blockages, it’s about 85%, 80%, 95%, 98%, and 90%, we were shocked and sad to know that. The doctor told us that my dad needed stents/surgery immediately, but we don’t have enough money honestly. So the doctor suggested us to have outpatient for my dad, and finally we agreed.

17. evolvingworld on March 3, 2012 at 5:40 am

Reblogged this on Evolve Digital Engaged.

18. nurmalasyahbani on March 3, 2012 at 5:40 am

The doctor told me that may dad had to be moved to ICU as soon as possible and she asked me to concern the administration. I went to the admistration officer to ask for my dad’s treatment, but she asked me about warranty, well I was panic because I had a dime of money as well, so I told her “no matter how much it is, let my dad get his treatmeant. I’ll call my mom, and she will play all the costs” fortunately, she gave me the ICU referral and my dad was moved to ICU. I called my mom and she immediately went to the Hospital.

19. nurmalasyahbani on March 3, 2012 at 5:39 am

Mike, this Heart Attack posting is mnemonic. July 22rd, 2010 was one of the scared days of mine. When i accompanied my dad to office at Cileungsi, suddenly he was suffered from that Heart Attack. I was obviously panic at that time, so i drove the car fast to look for the first aid at clinic, but actually they said that i had to go to hospital (but unfortunately i was not familiar with the area) so, i asked the clinic’s nurse to escort me to the hospital (sadly, there’s no ambulance at that time) and we went to hospital. As we got the hospital, my dad was taken care at emergency unit.

20. evolvingworld on March 3, 2012 at 5:35 am

Thanks for raising awareness! A hockey teammate of mine, same age, had a heart attack during our game – survived and back on the ice post triple bypass surgery. 8 months later…during a game stent collapsed…rushed to the hospital – back on the ice 2 weeks later! Not one but 2 close calls – he told us where to find his nitroglycerin ‘in case of emergency’ – b/c he shared & made us aware he’s alive to this day! Awareness matters…but you must be willing to share.

21. katuskaporumb on March 3, 2012 at 1:21 am

Mike, you do not know how long the sport wise, how much pay attention to yourself, your meals, your peace of mind, harmony … it’s your private matter. It is likely, because you wrote to us this entry, re-evaluated because of a few things.
    Please take care, because at the age of eighty I would also like to hear what they have learned back to the “Old Shinoda!”
    Reverence and love:
    Katuska

22. katuskaporumb on March 3, 2012 at 1:20 am

Thank you, for sharing this story.
    I’ m very happy, if you telling about important healthy problems (cellphone -braincancer problematic)
    Not enough the sports,harmonic family lifestyle, conscious, moderate diet, happy to work-no matter what. If every year part in scering test- even the men!!!- we can be aware of our health.I can’t be nice visiting every doctors in the hospital, or HC,sill more plesant than to die suddenly or terrible agony-is the loves one in suffering….
    We in public health in Hungary it stands-only for “our free time” to be sacrificed-, I do not know n to the U.S. about the situation.

23. My bit of insanity on March 3, 2012 at 12:29 am

Hey Mike you should check out the documentary FORKS OVER KNIVES. It addresses how heart disease can be almost 100% prevented/reversed. It is amazingly informative.

24. rhodsta on March 3, 2012 at 12:24 am

I can relate sort of.The week of Christmas, at work my colleague Debbie was getting really stressed, more than normal. On the last day of work, 23Dec, she started complaining about a headache. She is 48 has smoked all her life but in the 4years i known her she has never complained about that. I knew something was wrong and begged her to see the doctors but she refused. A week later i get a call saying on Christmas eve Debbie was admitted to hospital. she had 4 strokes. 3 of which was at work. She’s fine now but i was scared i was going to lose my best friend at work. My sister also had a stroke at 26. She is 41 now and well. it’s just hard to cope when its someone close

25. drunkenmunkey on March 2, 2012 at 11:17 pm

Reelie??!! HAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHHAHAHAHAHAHA *cough gag* HAHAHAAHAHAHAH

26. dhanydena on March 2, 2012 at 8:55 pm

we can find money as much as possible, but we can not buy health.
    so, live in a healthy way.

27. dhanydena on March 2, 2012 at 8:54 pm

we can find as much money as possible, but we can not buy health.
    so, live in a healthy way.

28. mercenary18 on March 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm

That is crazy! Weird how someone else’s passing can save another person’s life….definately a blessing in disguise. Soooo….u and ur bandmates are getting ur hearts checked too right? I know ur young, but still….=)

29. cincybmxlpfreak on March 2, 2012 at 7:57 pm

O_O Holy crap. That’s scary. Thanks for posting about this.

30. boopology on March 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm

i got to say Mike, by reading this, i got more aware about my heart’s condition… thanks…

(i’m gonna go tell this to everyone..)

31. Nina Nine on March 2, 2012 at 4:20 pm

Wow! That’s a great history… You know, I’m chef, I mean, i still studing, but i cook in my house, whitout oils and graces, my father have diabets, and i start to cook healthly for him, but we all my family eat the same than him, it’s amazing how a few weeks later, my body feels diferent, whit more energy, I’d talk about this with my family and we all feel the same. The people live so fast, that leave away his health to make money to in a future take care of his health… That’s it’s sadly… :/

32. linkinsoldier on March 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

I have a heart condition(narrowing of the aorta)I got from birth (I’m 15 now). It’s annoying at times but I’ll mostly get back to normal one day. When I was younger, even the smallest cardio-ish workout-activities was enough to make me almost faint. I’m now up to frequently checks at the city hospital and I have good chances of avoiding surgery, which the doctors had been discussing for a long time until they saw that my heart is growing all by itself now. If I didn’t get my heart checked at birth with the method Mike blogged about here, I’d be dead by now. This isn’t even a joke.

33. cyndi021598 on March 2, 2012 at 3:41 pm

I was in the hospital on your birthday until my birthday. That was for an inflammation in my heart. NOT.FUN.AT.ALL. They drew blood about 16 times.

34. davjola on March 2, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Thank you so much for sharing dear Mike!
    Loved the drawing and the story was so touching. Hope Jonathan is fine by now. Everyone should stop for a moment and think … we have the most precious gift LIFE!
    I love you & Linkin Park please Take care!

35. sarahtsmyers on March 2, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Things are different in the UK. I can’t ‘just get checked’ unless they think there is a problem… which is a pain as heart problems run in my Mum’s side of the family. I don’t even know about my Dad’s side of the family. Who knows what I’m at risk of…?!
    However – it’s admirable that this Foundation was started and I’m glad Jonathan got checked in time.

36. simona93 on March 2, 2012 at 2:33 pm

That’s a very admirable move, to stand up and create a foundation.
    I know how that situation feels, because my mom had some health problems too. She had troubles breathing and a lung specialist told her she has asthma. Two months after I had to call an ambulance for her because after walking the stairs to 1st floor she fainted and very badly hyperventilated.
    These doctors thankfully were better – she was diagnosed with both-sided massive lung embolia. At the stage she was in she would have about another eight hours.
    She’s 42. I can’t imagine my life without her – I’m 18 and a very much Mom’s little girl. Kudos for your friend and you for doing something and raising awareness.

37. evooba on March 2, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Moving story. Thank God Jonathan caught it just in time. And thank you for sharing this and showing your concert. This kinda reminds me of how they found out I have slight asthma. I kept almost-fainting after each basketball game I had and they had me checked out and told me it was about that and that’s why I always had trouble keeping my breath for too long or panting way more than anyone else after like running and stuff. :/

Art piece is mind blowing by the way!

38. debschiller on March 2, 2012 at 1:07 pm

Thank God for medical technology. His heart defect was diagnosed before he was born. Because of this he was born at a children’s hospital with the capability to do whatever he needed at birth. For the first 10 days of his life, he seemed normal….then his oxygen levels plummeted and he required emergency heart surgery. Without that diagnosis he could have been at home when the crisis began and we would not have him with us today. Everyone please listen…heart disease is nothing to fool around with.

39. Alexandra Nofi on March 2, 2012 at 1:01 pm

It’s unfortunate that the death of his friend, is what made him wake up and do his heart right. At least now he is healthy, and won’t be another unnecessary death.

I have a heart murmur, nothing that requires medication or surgery, but I get my heart checked every once in a while, just to be safe. It’s a pretty common heart murmur, but it did put a limit on how physical activity I could have when I was younger. I did cross country track for a couple of years in high school, and sometimes my heart would pound so hard that I’d feel it through my whole body, a signal that I needed to take a break.

40. cherrybubble89 on March 2, 2012 at 12:45 pm

ouching story
    I’m thinking about going to the doctors soon, cause sometimes my heart beats very strange. It beats way too fast, beats irregularly (know what I mean?) and sometimes I have a little pain in my chest.

Never thought it could be anything serious, I’m only 23, it started about 5 years ago. I used to smoke, quit 3 years ago and thought it might stop then.

Stupid me! I really should go and see a doctor, seriously- I’m shi**in my pants a little bit, ha.

I have a 5 week old son, who needs his mommy.

Thanks for sharing this with us.

41. mariannegan on March 2, 2012 at 12:42 pm

Mike, thank you for sharing this story with us. I will share it with my family and friends to create awareness.

Please wish Jonathan the very best on my behalf!

XOXO,
    Marianne

42. vickykun on March 2, 2012 at 12:25 pm

ahh I spelled everything wrong;.; #fuuuu
    anyways, you got the message u.u

43. vickykun on March 2, 2012 at 12:21 pm

That´s very touching. I´m glad that he had the oportunity to “rebirth” and create that project. I don´t have heart problems ( well, I take some medicins for my athsma, and they obviously attack my heart,but I have don´t have much choice unfortunatelly)

It´s important to check the heart regularly and eat health food to avoid the accumulation of fat in the arteries,which bombs blood to our heart.

44. thepixelpod on March 2, 2012 at 12:06 pm

:( i eat A LOT of burgers every time i can D;, the last days i was thinking about my healtly, now i have to stop do that and get better

thnks for this Mike

45. adiek84 on March 2, 2012 at 11:11 am

Reblogged this on Adiek84's Blog and commented:
    Great post! My mom had a heart attack a while ago and I definitely know how it feels to have someone close to you being so sick. In my opinion, tests like those should be free for all, but unfortunately the people who decide this care more about politics and money! It’s not only about heart diseases but also other diseases like breast cancer, etc.
    I hope Jonathan will save many lives with his foundation! Ironically his friend’s death apparently saved his! That’s how life works sometimes, I guess…:-(
    Btw, the artwork is incredible!

46. sohail abbasi on March 2, 2012 at 10:57 am

I’m 20,& I’m having heart problem,though I don’t smoke now,but I used to….Yesterday I went to hospital,they told me you’re okay,you should go for tests…I’m not afraid of death,but I don’t want to hurt my family.Now I’ll go for proper check up !!!

47. lazizash on March 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

Thank you for this post. Yes, my family have problems with heart attacks (my grandma and dad), but I wish everything will be fine, God save us. It’s so sad about Jonathan and his friend. You’re right, we must care our heart, our health. Take care yourself, Mike :)

48. sohail abbasi on March 2, 2012 at 10:52 am

Reblogged this on cvng.

49. arselini on March 2, 2012 at 10:48 am

my dad died from the exact same reason few months ago… taking care of your health and prevention are most important…

50. anvanoppens on March 2, 2012 at 10:44 am

True, heart problems are always very dangerous, too many things can lead to heart suffering, and the problems (like blockage from trombuses) often show up so sudden, that makes it so tough… Always be careful I would say: watch your own health +blood pressures & other heart-related meassures, and get yourself tested… I guess

51. yomarqueslp on March 2, 2012 at 10:43 am

Sad and touching story. Thanks for sharing this with us, Mike.

52. lazizash on March 2, 2012 at 10:39 am

Thank you for this post. Yea, my family have a problem with heart attacks (my granma and dad). I wish everything will be fine, God save us. Take care, Mike :)

53. emzlp123 on March 2, 2012 at 10:38 am

Wow! That’s truly shocking! I hope he’s okay and, I’m sure this goes for everyone, wish him all the best from us!

54. nillp on March 2, 2012 at 10:37 am

now i got really concerned about my health since my mom has heart problems and i’ve never gone to a cardiologist.. DD:
    anyway.
    hope you, the guys and your family go check your hearts!!!!!
    i’m spreading the world!
    btw, i’ll compete at NYC Regional this year.. you’re all invited! http://www.javitscenter.com/ViewEventDetails.aspx?eid=327

take care, nil lp .

55. dcl1982 on March 2, 2012 at 10:36 am

That peice of art is really, really interesting and moving at the same time. I’m so happy your manager took stock of his health, even if the results were devastating. At least he knows and got it checked before it was too late.

56. colinreid on March 2, 2012 at 10:34 am

great, now you have got me thinking twice to go and see a doctor about getting mines check lol

57. linkinlayra on March 2, 2012 at 10:34 am

Life is short, enjoy every moment!
    ps. I don’t know why but I thought there is Chester’s head in that artwork! :D

58. lpfmfan on March 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

Wow, just wow. Definitely touching story. I think I’m going to do the same and recommend it to my friends and family.

- Ana

59. NikoKaps on March 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

Wow. This post really gets me thinking. I’m only 27, but that doesn’t mean that I should wait until I’m 40 to go get my heart checked out. Thank you, Mike.

60. anvanoppens on March 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

Touching story…
    And holy **** THAT’s art!
    Will we be expecting some new work from you soon? Any album art?
    (Don’t forget to show your face on Brad’s chat today!)