Monday News: Burn It Down, Release Dates, The Album, and a Toolbox.

April 15, 2012

Monday is almost here.

Early Monday morning, our new single BURN IT DOWN will be released. The LIVING THINGS album pre-sale will begin. You’ll see the album cover, the track listing, and hear about some new tour plans. My bandmates and I are very excited for this week.

Many of you know our story up until this point. We built the band upon the idea of fusing all our favorite styles of music–as different as they might be–into one, signature sound. Our first two albums were the result of a lot of hard work, perseverance, smarts, and luck, to build a toolbox that would provide us with what we needed to make the best songs we could at the time.

Success came at a pivotal time in an industry that was about to take a nosedive, and we were able to establish ourselves before things changed drastically. Hybrid Theory became the best-selling album of the year, worldwide. After Meteora‘s success, we realized that we needed to step back and think about our future, in order to have one. We decided we had to had to veer away from the main thing upon which our success was built: the music.

When I tried to explain this pivotal moment to a friend of mine, he had a hard time understanding. He said, “It’s like you invented the Big Mac or the iPod, then decided not to sell it anymore. Why the hell would you do that?”

Trying to explain how personal and artistic choices factor in for a band like ours is difficult. As we finished up “A Thousand Suns” in 2010, I found myself having to try to do it often, in interviews and to myself. Before we even finished the songs, each guy in my band knew it was a polarizing and challenging album, one that people would probably love or hate. I suppose that it didn’t really matter if it made sense to anyone but us — for a while, we had to steer as far away from the early sound of Linkin Park as possible, or else we would be trapped making the exact same music over and over until we had to call it quits.

Thinking back: as we wrote Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns, I would sometimes bring in demos that sounded like something from the first two albums. Those demos were always met with a negative reaction by my bandmates, and I tended to agree. I loved the journey toward a new, unknown sound. With each experiment, we discovered new ways to make songs, and we filled our toolbox with tons of new tools. With each song, we tried both cutting-edge and classic gear; we started with radically different seeds; and we approached the vocals with a virtual blindfold on. And, about a year ago, I realized that our toolbox was virtually overflowing with great tools.

But we were avoiding something.

In the early part of our career, we were inexperienced. We made decisions on all fronts that some of us regret (some times a little, some times a lot). And some decisions (like my fire-engine red hair back in the day) were things that I don’t really regret, but I simply wouldn’t do today. All those things spun together to create a complicated uneasiness about the past that the band wasn’t able to come to terms with for a while.

Luckily, I wasn’t the only one who felt that way. Over the course of the last year, the subject kept popping up, and we talked about how to tastefully bridge the gap between all the musical places we’ve been, to marry together all the ideas we’ve accumulated about how to make a song. And as LIVING THINGS began taking shape, the most powerful shift I saw take place was the acceptance and eagerness to use all the tools in the toolbox, not just some. Everything at once, together.

Some people have already compared our new album to the early ones. I suppose it depends on how you want to make that comparison (by the way, it’s certainly not about guitars). For me, it’s all about getting back to the real “hybrid theory” — not the album with that name, but the idea that the six guys in our band have drastically different tastes in music, and the blending of all those sounds into one is exactly what we built our band upon.

///

The single BURN IT DOWN and the album LIVING THINGS (presale) will be available tomorrow.

1. linkinparkfan88 on June 4, 2012 at 8:29 pm

can’t wait for the new album

2. martynasroka on June 4, 2012 at 9:25 am

Mike,
    I would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and insights in such an intelligent and structured way, very inspiring. Are you planning a UK tour with Linkin Park next year? I can’t find any reliable information on this topic.
    Enjoy Russia and Poland, it’s a shame that you performing in my country soon after I moved to the UK :)Hope to see you guys in London soon!

3. tubaaka on June 4, 2012 at 9:15 am

by the way I like your red hair, blue and red hair looks good on you, yellow isn’t that good :)

4. tubaaka on June 4, 2012 at 8:53 am

I can understand your desire to do things that will challenge you, in your case, in music. I loved every album, every song, every single of yours since your first album and I get the pleasure of listening to all of them instead of comparing them bceuase you have your signature on all of them
    it’s a great music you’re doing, since the beginning

5. V7S94 on May 24, 2012 at 7:51 pm

ow,,mike..
    apakah albumnya akan cepat didistribusikan di Toko Musik Indonesia pada 26-06-2012..?
    saya sudah sangat menunggu.

6. nikoshinoda on May 22, 2012 at 7:52 am

Mike , thx for yr shared and i waiting Living Things will coming hahahaha OMG!! i can’t wait !! love u all <3 __ <3

7. nikoshinoda on May 19, 2012 at 9:14 pm

we don’t care when they talked wz yr album , we’r yr fans can b understand all of u when u think and share all yr mind that we can accept all and cheers up u , we can’t wait the new album when u come to Thai again we wanna join wz u my love band ,my Mike <3 __ <3 always i love u <3

8. pandalovechica on May 17, 2012 at 6:13 pm

Mike
    My fiancée and I are celebrating our two year anniversary on Sept 1 at Xfest in Calgary :)! It would mean so much if you could give Ruben and Jessie Aldana a huge congratulations!

Thanks

9. davjola on May 14, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I’ve been with you Mike since Hybrid Theory and in some way I grew up with you. I love your music, your lyrics the way the six of you are so keep going on for us and make that great music that only you know how to do!
    Sincere love for both of you and congratulations! Can’t wait to listen to “The Living Things” and see you guys in 3 weeks!
    A lot of love from Albania ♥

10. daragonuboruzetto on May 9, 2012 at 2:12 am

hey mike I’m Adit, from indonesia, yeah, well I love your works, and I made them as an inspiration to do my dragon ball fan manga, well, mike, if you want to see some of my artworks of dragon ball namec saga rewritten on my facebook page, please link to:
    well thanks for your time, I wish you well Mike.

11. ristinw on May 7, 2012 at 2:28 am

Love the growth of your music. To me, all of the albums are awesome because each of them represents different stage of life. That is the most interesting part that I realize. Life does not have to be perfect, so does each and every album. However, whatever it is I just found each of the album is a perfect reflection of the unique and different state of life experience. :D Words can’t really express all the things I wanna say, I simply LOVE what you guys are doing. :D

12. magz12 on May 6, 2012 at 9:41 am

CANT WAIT!! ALREADY GOT THE TICKETS FOR AUBURN HILLS DUDE! IM SO EXCITED! THIS IS GONNA BE MY FIRST LINKIN PARK CONCERT. OUT OF ANYTHING IVE HEARD FROM PEOPLE FROM THE SHOWS U GUYS PUT ON THEY SAY ITS AMAZING! I REALLY WANT TO GO! JUST HAVE TO WAIT TILL AUGUST.

13. evanstoker on May 4, 2012 at 10:59 am

ADAM YAUCH OF THE BEASTIE BOYS R.I.P.

14. Leonel Arocha on April 29, 2012 at 7:26 am

I can’t wait to hear LIVING THINGS

15. elipeca on April 26, 2012 at 6:25 am

hi mike!! actually read this blog!? I’m Eliana name of my country Argentina visited on his tour is a bit far from the U.S. at that time I could not go to the concert, my sister was about to be operated was very difficult watching someone you love so much and Fragile be strong for her, is inexplicable as his music gave me encouragement to overcome these things that happen in life as we walk on the edge of the precipice endure seeing how … without allowing ourselves to fall I hope you understand what I write dare translator, well another day I’ll tell you more about my complicated life Grasia all greetings

16. V7S94 on April 26, 2012 at 1:51 am

menunggu Album terbaru ini Mike,mengapa Lama Sekali 26 Juni 2012.. saya tidak sabar,bagaimana materi album ini..!!

17. awkwardjewswag on April 24, 2012 at 5:04 pm

18. Radyo Plexus on April 24, 2012 at 10:43 am

Reblogged this on Xandro Pontillas and commented:
    nice song!

19. anotherlpmsfan on April 23, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Hi Mike! I love this song, “Burn It Down” You and other Linkin Park members did a great job with this song. Now I can’t wait to see the video and later I’ll buy the “Living Things” album. You guys are going to do really well. Best Wishes! :)

20. mikehasahollowinside on April 22, 2012 at 5:55 pm

I just wanted to say how much impressed I am about you posting this. I think it’s better that people look at your view about this.

21. morganatenebre on April 22, 2012 at 12:24 pm

I’m not a pretty little lier. I’m here, waiting you at the turn, and the same place in my heart is still yours.

22. gatsie on April 22, 2012 at 4:44 am

Totally awesome, man! Change and diversity is a good thing. Burn It Down is blazing down the neighborhood as I’m typing this out. My neighbors are very grateful. Thanks man, in their regards aswell.

On a side note….

I was looking forward to another freestyle from the emsee?

23. 1oo71 on April 22, 2012 at 1:15 am

Hey, Mike. Just listened to “Burn It Down”. Was kind of disappointed at first. Think it just sounds like a cross between “What I’ve Done” & “Burning In The Skies”. But things changed @ 2:27 when you came in. I think it’s one of your best raps. For me, it was only good when you came in. It’s the two of you together that’s the magic. I think it would’ve been better if you came in earlier & I hope there’s a more equal balance in the rest of the album. I’ve gotta say,I feel like the lyrics are too abstract these days & I find it kind of annoying, pretentious and unrelatable. All these colored flames & explosions make it sound post-apocalypse. You’ve already done fire and skies…

24. A.Jay.D on April 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm

25. A.Jay.D on April 21, 2012 at 6:33 pm

Like I said on the past post comment sections…I’m a HUGE fan. Heres my remix tribute to Linkin Park’s single “BURN IT DOWN”

[soundcloud url="http://api.soundcloud.com/tracks/43936559" iframe="true" /]

26. mgracec on April 20, 2012 at 6:25 pm

MIKE SHINODA!!
    Do you personally read these comments??
    How do we send you fan mail man?
    Ps new album is amaziing!! :D !!

27. zahralp on April 20, 2012 at 2:37 pm

im thinking this song was okay.cant wait to hear the album, but what is Dave and Brad gonna do when its being plaied live!?:/

28. Marie on April 20, 2012 at 11:03 am

OOps i meant *work not word sorry :/

29. Marie on April 20, 2012 at 10:56 am

MIKE! this video BID+NBA PLAYOFFS IS spectacular. Thanks a lot( you and the rest of the guys) for your hard word and dedication. I got a blog in here as well. Feel free to visit me sometime!;).( it’s a blog aout LP)

Marie♥

30. blackdaysend on April 20, 2012 at 10:11 am

31. blackdaysend on April 20, 2012 at 10:10 am

32. moswarthy on April 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm

I am really excited that my favorite band is giving us new tracks this year! Thanks for staying creative and fun. As long as you guys keep being poetic and imagery driven with your lyrics and music, this fan will always be grateful for the albums you produce. I was able to connect with a niece of mine who I never had a relationship with but we connect through our favorite band, you guys. Thanks for being alive!! Though there are some strong heart break songs in your music, which I definitely feel, you guys were able to bring a good relationship to an uncle, that it is never too late. Thanks you guys!

33. dirtysouthguitar on April 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

This is exciting. I so appreciate ya’lls music and really looking forward to hearing the new stuff. It’s nice to see a band always evolving like LP. Congrats Mike and the rest of the band.

34. willscrits on April 18, 2012 at 10:34 am

Awesome song Mike!
    Here’s my cover of Burn it Down. I’d appreciate if you listened to it! :)

35. linkingabo on April 18, 2012 at 7:16 am

Hey Mike!

Have you heard about this? ::: “Something from Nothing: The Art of Rap”

Thought you might gonna like it.

36. apcmheart on April 17, 2012 at 5:50 pm

GreAT SOng MAn!
    LovE YA LP”

37. lcarolinep19 on April 17, 2012 at 4:08 pm

This new song, “Burn It Down”, is wonderful :D I hope that whole album will be as good as this song.
    I already have a ticket for your concert in Warsaw, Poland, and I’m incredibly happy because of that. I will do everything, to stand under the scene. ( like everyone, I guess ). Bye Mike, and see you at 9th June ;D

38. royhahn1 on April 17, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Listen to my Piano-Cover of Burn It Down! :)
    I also made the sheet music fo it!

39. veleri6 on April 17, 2012 at 10:21 am

Hello.I’m sorry if my message angering you and have mistake, because my English is not good.I’m 17.I’m a girl and live in Ukraine.Linkin Park is my favorite music.”Burn It Down”is a amazingly. Linkin Park’s concert is dream of all my life.You have a concert in Ukraine at ODESSA,12.06.12-Prosto Rock Festival.I live with my mother and brother.Father don’t like me.My mother can’t buy ticket,because the ticket is expensive and I don’t have a money.I’m afraid that this concert will be the last concert of Ukraine.If this will become to real my dream is collapsing.If you will have a free time please answer of my message and one question“You will come of Ukraine again?”

40. carboe on April 17, 2012 at 3:35 am

I love reading your blog, sometimes it’s like reading poetry. I love your style of writing!

I have one question though… I usually buy “superfan editions” of your albums, but I don’t see the option to preorder a such edition of “Living things”… But there will be one, right? A superfan edition? Please? *LOL*

41. ptahshiva4 on April 17, 2012 at 12:39 am

can’t wait !!!!

2pac hologram !!!!! look this

42. shoegaze4u on April 16, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Hi Mike! I have to tell you: Warner Music Group sucks! In Germany, they try to earn money even with the shipping of LivingThings. It isn’t about extremely high amounts. But that’s not the point. No, the ‘small’ and ‘poor’ WMG just want to make maximum money with you. That’s disgusting!

I really wanted to preorder the album today, but I didn’t because of this reason. Sorry guys, but that’s a matter of principle.

Ever thought about changing your record label? ;-)

43. sergiordz on April 16, 2012 at 9:01 pm

“After two albums experimenting with sounds, concepts, and electronic textures, Linkin Park returns to its nu-metal ways on Living Things, the band’s fifth album. The first single, “Burn It Down,” gives a hint with expansive guitar, shouted choruses, a rap from Mike Shinoda, and Chester Bennington’s naked vulnerability encased in a throat-shredding howl. LP fans craving the chemistry of Hybrid Theory and Meteora should immediately take to Living Things.”

So, this is the Itunes Note in the pre-order album page. What do you think Mike?

44. akyfung on April 16, 2012 at 7:42 pm

Hey Mike!

First off, I just wanted to say that the new song is AWESOME. Keep up the great work! Secondly, I am so glad to see that you guys are coming to my hometown CALGARY! That video message was sweet :) I’ll be out of town when you guys play here, but hopefully I can sneak down to Calgary or Edmonton to see you guys xD I really hope you guys will enjoy it here in Canada :D

45. brysislupin on April 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I always thought that the people who have been criticizing ATS for the last year would never understand your future decisions. I just knew the sound of ATS was going to stay. You guys let it clear that you wanted to do smthing diferent. And Im really pround of that. You cant just make one type of music and keep doing it till it has nothing more to give. Life is a big great experience. So is music. We always knew that you all had diferent music tastes and we couldn´t expect the same sound forever. It wouldn´t be fair for us or for you. Loving and respecting you as musicians includes loving and respecting your decisions. I wish you the best guys and I´ll be with you till the end of times.

46. moschroom on April 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

Yes Mike, thats all I ever wanted.
    When Im listing on your very first tracks, even the ones who never reach it on an album, Im really FEALING the hybrid-energy. (Punk’d was worse ;))
    As I heard qwerty times ago, I was very impressed of that energy, too and disappointed about the next albums then, which just continued a little bit the spirit of pushing me away and breaking the habbit for me.
    In Burn it down, the sound of LP reaches its deepest level and I hope to hear more of the papercut power. But I also love LP’s crawling in the deep cover.

A guy from germany, who listen to your songs since 8 years

47. jefersonchaz on April 16, 2012 at 12:33 pm

I was 12 when Linkin Park released their first album, and we here in Brazil began to hear this musical globalization. Then I heard “In The En” and said “Who are they” that’s when I started my career Linkin Park. And watching you, talking about how they were back then reminded me of me too, as I was mad at that too, but loved to do crazy things with hair, or inventing designs for tattoos when they turn 18 and then do one. I remember an interview with Chester and he said some years ago he hated the Beatles and he now loves. So I say, all the Beatles and I spoke with my 14 years baxei band’

48. Damaris on April 16, 2012 at 10:50 am

New Linkin Park tour dates added on my blog. Let me know who’s going and where!
    In hoping they’ll add a date in France next year or so!.

49. nicmrayce on April 16, 2012 at 10:44 am

Check out my Artistic Reinterpretation of Burn It Down new single.
    All copyright goes to WMG and Linkin Park.
    [youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ovkf5jNMb4E&w=420&h=315%5D

50. msjinx20 on April 16, 2012 at 7:45 am

Mike, it’s really good that you and your bandmates found a real path of your career. I think that it’s a very essential thing which provides you a firm ground. I just want to let you know that I have never denied to your band in spite of that what people say. I’m proud of this that I’m LP’s fan and happy that you are. Maybe I show that rarely but music and passion should be in a heart, right? :)

51. terriaw on April 16, 2012 at 6:05 am

I love how you described LP’s process for writing your music over the years. It’s awesome to see your evolution! I loved A Thousand Suns, especially because it was different. Who wants to be predictable and expected?! It’s more fun to challenge ourselves to do the unexpected.

I’m loving the new single Burn It Down! It’s a mix of vintage LP and new LP, just as you described. I can’t wait to hear more, and hopefully see a show on your new tour.

Congrats to you and LP!

52. awi on April 16, 2012 at 5:21 am

Reblogged this on escritura.

53. gwenwhyfare on April 16, 2012 at 4:59 am

I started listening to you guys back in high school when Hybrid Theory came out, and still do to this day. I understand where you’re coming from, about not regretting the past, but wanting to look to the future. I think it’s great that the LP crew are collectively working on new music. Music for me is about self growth and seeing how much you can evolve as a person. Very excited for the new album!!!

54. erimarika on April 16, 2012 at 4:57 am

I’ve been waiting for this for so long!! Way to go Mike, I cannot wait to hear all the songs on the album.

55. soofiaa on April 16, 2012 at 3:59 am

WOOOOOOOOOW! I LOVE IT!

56. Xenith on April 16, 2012 at 3:56 am

A colleague and I have been sat all morning trying to work out what other song ‘Burn it Down’ brings to mind or has a similar riff… we found it!

57. highlandpark1999 on April 16, 2012 at 2:24 am

I just finished listening to “Burn It Down”, first thing that came to my mind was Chester’s Dead By Sunrise project, with Iridescent tones mixed in the song.
    Looking forward to the new album in June!

58. Aditya_the_warrior_within on April 16, 2012 at 1:23 am

good to see you back in action
    looking forward to the new album, as always
    godspeed
    from LPU and LP India

59. ves13 on April 16, 2012 at 12:58 am

I’ve listened to your last album from the first song to the last and I got the feeling it progresses from a dark and desolate place to a place where there is hope (since it ends with The Catalyst and The Messenger). When I saw the title Living Things I got the feeling that it (the album) grew from The Messenger’s hope into something bright and alive. I guess in our lives we go somewhere and it’s the journey that matters and how you change and develop. It’s like The Portrait of the Artist As a Young Man by James Joyce: the novel literally “grows up” as you read it. Maybe your music is growing up too. I hope this makes sense. I can’t wait to hear all of the songs. Vesna

60. lpmoonshine on April 15, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I think musics should
    1)have a good meaning(just lp’s songs)
    2)have good vocalists(just mike&chester)
    3)be artistic (like lp’s songs)
    4)have a good band with good personality and behavior(like lp)
    I’m agree with u & as u say 99/999…% of the songs are normal musics not artistic and also don’t have good meaning
    I just find lp in these 4 poins and love every songs u make:)
    good luck .Mahshid

61. alex5545 on April 15, 2012 at 10:17 pm

Man I really want to hear Burn it Down already, only just over 6 hours to go til we hear it.

This album is going to be epic, all the best sounds of Linkin Park emerging at once creating a true hybrid album which is what Linkin Park has been wanted to be since the start. We will see the true Linkin Park emerge from the shadows after two albums of experimentation and evolution.

I am glad Linkin Park are embracing the toolset from the first albums with created Hybrid Theory part 3 as well because those first 2 albums are what got us all hooked in the first place and I for one would like to hear Mike’s rap rock from them in this new album in the style he did on HT.

62. camila on April 15, 2012 at 9:12 pm

Gracias MIKE!! me han hecho erizar los pelos, como siempre, en este momento estoy casi en shock haha, grandioso trabajo, quiero mas!! graciaaas

63. abraxianjp on April 15, 2012 at 8:53 pm

I really enjoyed your post, from the great news of the single and album, and about step forward to an evolution (somehow). If i can say it… im in a similar mood in my life now, and maybe this new album can be part of my life soundtrack too.

Ill look forward for the new material, and i hope that LP visit Mexico soon…

頑張ってね!マイクさん!

64. nessieee95 on April 15, 2012 at 8:42 pm

OMG, now I am much more excited about the new album now. That text, that you wrote is awesome. I think, that´it is great that you think about the older albums and how you try to combine them and bring the different styles…There is really a big differnce between Hybrid Theory and A Thousand Sun, but that´s exactly what I love on Linkin Park. I don´t know another band, that stands out like Likin Park do it. It never get´s boring to listen to your music. I´m really happy that you guys found what you want to do. Keep it up.

65. dirtytrick23 on April 15, 2012 at 7:12 pm

Really like your post and share your thoughts with your fans out there! :)
    Yes, I agree that over the years the sound of your music has changed (specially in Thousand Suns Album).
    But, like you said once, our taste of music can change over the years (true that!). From all these artists out there, Linkin Park is the one who stand out the most. I am not saying this because I am already a huge fan since day 1 but Linkin Park is DIFFERENT (in a good way of course)from all of them.
    And yes, veer away from the previous things was risky but a smart move, risky for losing fans and smart to keep the band alive. I love E-V-E-R-Y Album coming from you guys and I will Always support you!
    From MTL

66. gustina05 on April 15, 2012 at 6:28 pm

Wow. Nothing I can say, I admire you guys. Such a perfect band, I couldn’t ask for more, thanks Mike for explain it so clearly, and for make this so exciting!!!!

67. devioustrouble on April 15, 2012 at 6:10 pm

This excites me. It makes me hold fast to the idea that you guys are the next Bon Jovi, Def Leppard, Aerosmith and Rolling Stones. You have that kind of staying power, you keep it fresh and real. You guys think and make decisions together as a band– no as a family, you work hard and it shows in all you do. On MTM you all showed a little of what else you were capable of, and ATS a little more. I feel with this album we will get the full of ALL you guys can do. This is why LP is my favorite band. Six very talented guys making beautiful music like no one else can or ever will.

68. stevel024 on April 15, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Reblogged this on stevel024 and commented:
    A lot of people have hated on Linkin Park for their change in sound after Meteora, but I have to say that while I was weird-ed out at first by their new sound, I still enjoyed “Minutes to Midnight” and “A Thousand Suns”.

69. angela426 on April 15, 2012 at 4:37 pm

looking forward for the band’s new album…thank you for making music that actually different from the rest out there.being honest with your fans is i guess the reason why you guys were much respected..as a fan we appreciate everything the band has done and the things that you guys will going to be done..will always support you guys..and GOOD LUCK on the new album…

70. tbone9 on April 15, 2012 at 4:36 pm

That was absolutely beautiful Mike, just keep doing what you’re doing. There are always fans who love the band no matter what! Keep true to yourselves just like you have, that’s what makes you unique :)

71. vickykun on April 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

I don´t have much to say about your post. I´m just very glad that you are always very sincere to your fans. I´m not going to do my speech about your work again, but I´m just glad to read this. I know that find our indentity. We had to pass by an ocean of events. Some bad, some good, but what´s important is learning with all those happenings.

Looking forward to hear the new album.

Many kisses <3

72. whosmurry on April 15, 2012 at 4:01 pm

Yay! Time to get my LP fangirl on again. My taste has expanded in so many different directions in the 10 years that I’ve been an LP fan that there’s literally nothing you guys could do that I wouldn’t enjoy.

73. bazza90 on April 15, 2012 at 2:37 pm

Im looking forward to hearing Burn It Down and i cant wait to pre order the album am excited about getting living things deffo deluxe edition im gonna try and pre order it as soon as i can if not i’ll try on my birthday to pre order the cd and then it will go on my itunes and iphone thanks mike for the info from your biggest fan who has been following you guys since hybrid theory Bazza Houston please drop an email if your not busy as your my favourite member of the group

74. Ally on April 15, 2012 at 1:48 pm

There’s not point in regretting something that helped you along the way and made you who you are today. Bad choices are not they are in the past and dwelling on them is completely pointless. Who cares really? You moved up on the music ladder trying to bring out something new and different for all the LP fans to enjoy, and hopefully bring in newcomers. I think what you and the rest of the band are doing is great! Just stay true to yourself, and keep moving forward without looking back.

And there you go again hoarding out that spin article :P.

75. Damaris on April 15, 2012 at 1:48 pm

If anyone is interested i’ve commented Mike’s new entry on my blog http://theinvisibleshadows.wordpress.com/category/linkin-park/

Linkin Park rules!.

76. nlopezdearenosa on April 15, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I used to relate so well to your first albums, which yes- I used to be a very confused, angry, lost kid. But, the fact that you’ve grown so much, and I can STILL relate to your music; I can only be proud that I’ve grown as well. And so I’ve fallen madly for Chester’s true voice, as much as his screams excite me. And when you two are in harmony, I’m elated to a whole other world, immersed. You six are simply so honest with what you want to express, and I hope you don’t change from THAT. Your honesty and passion. Waiting anxiously for tomorrow. I have an exam in the morning, so you’ll be my luck!

77. Xenith on April 15, 2012 at 1:15 pm

Personally I have always put the ‘blame’ on Rick Rubin for the progressive change in your sound. After watching the making of MTM, I and many other fans felt at times you adhere to what Rick wanted, rather than creating a sound that was personal to LP.

I have bought every album and have repeatedly played each track until I inevitably whittle it down to the songs I love and the rest simple dont make the cut to my iPod. After Meteora I started to see my final choices changing from an entire album to just 4 tracks… But I continue to gain excitement whenever any of the band contribute work, time and effort because there is always undeniably something I end up falling in love with :)

78. thaleslp on April 15, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Continuing …
    You added new things at songs (even the older ones) that surprised us and let the sound incredible. For me it was an unforgettable experience (it was how I felt that night, listening to the end of Numb).
    I’m excited to hear “Living Things” that you guys have used everything u had in your toolbox. From what we see in “Burn It Down” I know it will be something extraordinary.
    I hope u come back to Brazil soon and that God let me to see u guys again!
    Thanks for all LP!

79. thaleslp on April 15, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Simply amazing!
    I’m impressed at how Linkin Park has grown up. I grew up with u guys and I think I can fully understand everything u said. I was sure that u were proud of the work u did in HT and Meteora (unlike some people that thought u just hated your old song style ), but I understand the need that you guys had to go in search of a new sound, to add more options in your toolbox (this example is perfect).
    I think it’s fantastic, we now have a Linkin Park unpredictable, which may surprise us because u guys have saved many tools in the toolbox for this. And I could see it, when I was at your show here in Brazil in 2010 and while watching the shows at Madison Square Garden and Madrid.

80. oskarbu on April 15, 2012 at 12:37 pm

yeah! the album name :D!!
    i thinks this text will be the intro of the album info in the real CD ;D

81. leila_lp on April 15, 2012 at 12:32 pm

“The hardest part of ending is starting again”.That’s right.A new beginning predisposes serious decisions.I think you made ​​the right one to make MTM and ATS different from previous.If would you repeat HT and Meteora again and again, sooner or later it would start to bore..But I also think that It’s not bad to combine old and new sometimes,not to repeat.That was YOUR style.That’s part of you!
    I can’t wait to hear Living Things.I’m sure,this album will be a bomb :D I can’t wait to hear Burn It Down tomorrow.I love what I’ve heard so far.You pretty talented guys.You have good taste in music.I love absolutely everything what you’re doing.That’s why I’m LP fan since 2003!

82. notunafraid on April 15, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Dude, I’m so fingerling (fangirling :P ) right now.

83. linkinpark44 on April 15, 2012 at 12:17 pm

I’m pretty sure I’ve driven everyone at work insane by now. They all know about April 16th. :D I can’t wait!

84. hyalpfan1 on April 15, 2012 at 12:01 pm

i must be verging on annoying,but i can’t hold back my excitement!(1am in where i am)

85. hyalpfan1 on April 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

<3 <3 lots of <3!

86. hyalpfan1 on April 15, 2012 at 11:59 am

dear mike!
    thank you for everything!i hated music,but LP changed my life!everything by LP has been a masterpiece so far i’m positive that everything to follow will be no less than perfect!i’ve seen markedly positive changes within all of u guys over the years and i’m sure it’s for the best!can’t sleep for 5 days in the excitement of BURN IT DOWN,i’m confident it’ll be amazing!once again,thanks!God bless you all!and uh,give my love to chester!

87. thegluelpfan on April 15, 2012 at 11:55 am

Well let me tell you-I was a fan back when you released the first albums,was still a fan when Minutes To Midnight and A Thousand Suns came out and I will still be a fan when this album comes out and I’m absolutely sure of it because Linkin Park for me is the ultimate experience in music,everything I’m looking for.A band that is not afraid to step out of the box and try something different but also a band that is willing to go back to it’s roots and still rock while doing it.I’m really excited to hear the new music and support you all the way like I’ve done before. ;)

88. Alexandra Nofi on April 15, 2012 at 11:54 am

I tried to write a comment here a couple of times with a direct link to my blog and for some reason it didn’t go through. Whenever I hear or read something you have said about art, it awakens a lot of emotions and opinions in me. I’m usually this way toward most artists I interact with. Those thoughts don’t fit into 700 characters, so I put it on my website’s journal instead: http://www.alexandranofi.com

89. jamieobier on April 15, 2012 at 11:48 am

Great entry. Nice to hear that you thinking about the older albums and compare those with newer ones. Hybrid Theory and Meteora have an awesome sound, even my mum recognizes your sound when a song is playing. And she have no idea about Linkin Park ;)
    My first album was Meteora and the sound at the end from breaking the habit gave me the creeps. That was the point that fascinates me more than I could tell and concerns me so hard. It’s not only the voice, the special sounds make it to what it is and that’s why I will listen to your music expect my whole life.
    Back to the roots are always a good way :)

90. cincybmxlpfreak on April 15, 2012 at 11:47 am

Sounds awesome. :) We’ll see if you guys deliver, but I’m sure you will. Besides…I still haven’t worn out my “A Thousand Suns” album yet. :)

91. hayleyjune on April 15, 2012 at 11:30 am

It’s exciting to hear that you guys are pushing your creative boundaries again. Your music has been a part of my life for a very long time and has also influenced my life in a significant way. I hope that you might find some time to read this as I cannot find another way to thank you and your bandmates for how your music has changed my life.

Thanks for making fantastic music and staying true to yourself!

92. stingerlp on April 15, 2012 at 11:16 am

Guys, read here the full Russian translation of this Mike’s: http://lpcrimea.com/Owc

93. adiek84 on April 15, 2012 at 10:26 am

Reblogged this on Adiek84's Blog and commented:
    Very wise words! I’m definitely looking forward to “Living Things”, even though I’m a bit sad that my assumption – that Linkin Park aren’t human, but robots – seems to be wrong ;-D.
    Yes, there are many fans out there that only really like Linkin Park’s earlier work, but I was always one of the more awesome fans that like every album. It’s just great how you can put every LP album on your iPod and get a little surprise bag with many different styles on it, but I’m generally into many different genres. No chance for boredom! Reading now, that the new album will have all styles merged together sounds very promising.
    LP soldiers, don’t forget that tomorrow is “Burn it Down Download Day”. Download the song as soon as it’s available & share the download link on your Facebooks & Twitters! Details & download links here: https://adiek84.wordpress.com/2012/04/13/164-linkin-park-burn-it-down-download-day/

94. spraypaintninkpens on April 15, 2012 at 10:19 am

The more it sounds like HT and Meteora, the better.

LP used to mean to mean the world to me and the most I may have played ATS was 5 times before coming to the conclusion the band I loved much is never coming back.

Here’s to hoping the article is not misleading…

95. edgarrosales on April 15, 2012 at 10:10 am

Hey Mike:
    All who have followed Linkin Park since its inception, we have grown with you, personally, the music that you have created and have given us has always been the best. LP have changed much since then, I will not lie I miss hearing you rap and listen to Brad with a guitar riff in the songs, although I am surprised as have you changed since MTM and ATS. All these developments in music and as people, I think it’s just part of the process that we have in our lives …. I hope very excited and eager to hear what is Living Things and I hope this will be the perfect opportunity to return to Mexico and show us what is now Linkin Park.
    Edgar Rosales
    Mexico

96. fatimalp on April 15, 2012 at 10:04 am

So excited to hear the new album and can’t wait for tomorrow! Thanks Mike!

97. cmwells329 on April 15, 2012 at 9:52 am

Hey Mike,

I think you definitely hit the nail on the head here: this is the reason why I am and continue to be a fan of Linkin Park. While you guys certainly established (no, rocked) your own creative style that was unheard of at the time with Hybrid Theory and Meteora, it is important (and very telling of the band’s artistic abilities) to not only foster a unique sound, but to develop and further that sound into something even more incredible, ground-breaking, and new. I echo what you’ve said, because you’ve said it perfectly: build upon what you’ve learned in the past, parse through the good and the bad, and continue to innovate and amaze. As a fan since day one, I say thank you.

98. ltandros on April 15, 2012 at 9:50 am

I love all the albuns Linkn Park ever did, and all the songs you guys release.
    I just want to say a Love A thousand Suns as much as the other.
    And I just want to ear the album you guys want to make and what to release.

hardcore LP fans like me allow you guys to do what you want!

Let me finish by says thank you, I’m excite to ear the new stuff! :)

99. milasouza11 on April 15, 2012 at 9:43 am

Hi Mike
    I’m so excited for this single, and this new album.
    I really hope you and linkin park can back to brazil soon. We,
    brazilian fans can’t wait 6 years anymore, as it happened last show here (2004 -2010 brazil)
    Now, I’m from LPU. I pray for God gives me a opportunity to meet you (M&G), and show to you my the rising tied tattoo.

God Bless you!
    I love you

Mila Souza – Brazil

100. Jersha Grace on April 15, 2012 at 9:32 am

Music comes from the heart and as long as you guys stay true to yourselves, people will love your music :)
    As for me. I’m super excited about the album !!!!!!!!!!! :D

101. kathyxx on April 15, 2012 at 9:31 am

The only thing I want to hear from you guys is an album that you wanted to make, and not censoring yourselves because of some pressure saying you have to be or not be something.

I’m looking forward to hearing the album.

102. Nina Nine on April 15, 2012 at 9:31 am

You always explain everything very well. For me, now, we don’t need too much explain. Now, I’m fan of linkin park since 2004, when the first song that I’d heard was “In the end”, yes in 2004. I remember that I were and buy the same day “Hibryd theory” and “Meteora”. Since that day I love LP. And like in love, we need understand to accept the changes. I live thru LP, and that never it change. I listen so much music, a lot of styles, but LP it’s always my first option. I will follow you always, ‘cos I feel you’re the only one that understand me. Any way, more than 10 years doing music, I don’t know what bring this new album, but I know and I’m sure that won’t disappoint me. :D

103. myhysterblog on April 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

I am very excited about the new single and album too. I don’t think that I would be classed as a Typical Linkin Park fan but I have been with you since Hybrid Theory and I ain’t going anywhere. I am 47 years old, married to a 54 year old and with 2 small boys 6 and 8 and we are all MASSIVE fans. Your music goes everywhere in the car with us and we have drawn some pretty strange looks at traffic lights – us all singing our heads off to In the end One step closer, or Iridescent. we don’t care which album we listen to , we love them all. Keep on doing what you are doing and get yourselves back in the UK as soon as you can. All 4 of us will be there loving every minute.

104. niru013 on April 15, 2012 at 9:26 am

LIVING THINGS, I guess it’s about “things” that you live (experiences)… as we are living creatures…

105. mithun1982 on April 15, 2012 at 9:22 am

Thanks for the pre-release blog post Mike! As someone who loved ‘ATS’ more than ‘MTM’ I say keep pushing yourselves to new sounds. If I wanted ‘Hybrid Theory’ or ‘Meteora,’ I’ll listen to those albums again, because many of those songs still sound great even today!

Once again, I look forward to LP’s new album and once again I pray you tour India this time around (although I’ve seen you guys twice already http://mithunonthe.net/tag/linkin-park/). Super excited to hear the rest of the tracks on ‘Living Things’. All the best to all the members!

- From India

106. stacyromanov on April 15, 2012 at 9:19 am

Mike, thank you. I don’t know as for all – but for me it’s so important that your feelings are so deep about your work, album…Thank you so much. I’ve even no more words.

107. sohail abbasi on April 15, 2012 at 9:16 am

Can’t f’ing wait,& I hate to discuss about old new linkin park,I was having same thoughts like you mike,compare “album”,not name

108. sohail abbasi on April 15, 2012 at 9:12 am

Reblogged this on cvng and commented:
    Monday News: Burn It Down, Release Dates, The Album, and a Toolbox.

109. anamlp on April 15, 2012 at 9:08 am

Oh, Mike. This was an amazing post. Thank you. I’ve never been a morning person, but I honestly can’t wait to wake up at 6AM tomorrow just to hear this on LIVE 105. So excited for the new album!

110. 1oo71 on April 15, 2012 at 9:04 am

Dear Mike, love posts like these where we really get to hear your thoughts.
    It’s interesting to hear that you guys have had some uneasy feelings about the past. I’m glad that you don’t regret your hair. Don’t you ever. The angry man with the red hair is what made you unforgettable to an 8-year old.

I’m very excited to hear this new album.

111. romyv on April 15, 2012 at 9:03 am

Hey Mike,
    U’re trully gifted, about the writing, and music! Just in this post I totally understand what U can feel. It’s silly to say but true!
    The way U guys are always chanllanging yourself and in the same time, U also challanging us. With MTM I was at first like “What’s going on!?” but then I recognized just YOU, U’re sound! Even if the music changed (and it sure has to!) there’s always something, dont know what, but something I like to call “The Linkin Park Thing”. And with ATS was the same!
    U find the right words on the right music, U’re just a genius! And with only these 30 seconds snippet we got of Burn It Down, I can say that I already love it!
    Thank U 4 all!
    Romy

112. xzch4lp on April 15, 2012 at 8:51 am

Deepest Respect!

113. carolynnb on April 15, 2012 at 8:47 am

Cannot wait!! :) you guys rock face!! :):) xo

114. paulchapa12 on April 15, 2012 at 8:46 am

Great Mike!, I have to say that i suported your search of sounds, in MTM and ATS as other peopple regret not been the same as early albums…
    There allways be people that like, and people that hate (changes).
    As i heard over and over this new sounds, i discovered new sounds, new details, and new meanings! And that is like WOW! I think you’re great artists, and if you think you can do more, just DO IT!
    Hope you can came back to ARGENTINA this year again!!
    LP FOREVER!!!

115. shoegaze4u on April 15, 2012 at 8:45 am

Thank you for your honest words and telling us fans, how things are going with you. I’am convinced, that you have again created a beautiful album.

Some people trying to suggest, that HT and MTM are your “masterpieces” and that you should just go back there. Hope, you don’t take that too serious. Let yourself be told, that A Thousand Suns is one of the best and most complex albums is that I have ever heard.

116. manyalp on April 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

Mike, you have a talent for writing about Linkin Park’s music… I love reading your blog posts.There’s something so great about the way you write… You kinda explain things that I thought could never be explained.
    Living Things is an awesome name for an album.
    I’m just trying not to explode. Monday, come soooooon!!!
    Thanks. Can’t say more.
    Manya

117. Mumo on April 15, 2012 at 8:43 am

Bro! I can’t wait to hear it man! You guys have inspired me so much as a composer I’m super excited to hear the new sound!

118. lapkoola on April 15, 2012 at 8:42 am

The very essence of being young and inexperienced is exactly to make decisions and do crazy things u – looking back – wouldn’t definitely do now. And that’s the beauty of it, to cherish these memories and to laugh at yourselves.
    And if anyone asked me today, what comes to my mind when I think about the beginnings of LP, I would reply with no hesitation – Mikes ‘fire-engine’ red hair.
    Hugs,
    Ola ;]

119. boger7lp on April 15, 2012 at 8:41 am

I think you’re right
    before did not understand the change in his musical concept and I never hold on to hybrid theory
    but now I hope this is saying is true and the only thing I would criticize is the ability now with the instruments and the vocal ability of Chester that ido changing – I like the experimentation of the band, are only those two elements that they needed to truly improve and make the move to the next level

good luck

120. emzlp123 on April 15, 2012 at 8:38 am

I just want to say, thank you for making music. It sounds silly to say, but it’s true.
    Linkin Park, your music, saved my life (litteraly) and continues to keep me alive and give me inspiration. I’m so glad your making the music you and the guys want too and I, honestly, can’t wait to hear the new album.
    I’ll admit, ATS took me a while to get used to, but now I love it. Every song you guys have made, has affected me in a way that I couldn’t possibly put into words.
    Hopefully this will be the year that I see LP live. It would actually be the best thing to happen to me.
    You probably won’t read this, but I needed to say it.
    Thank you and good luck with the new album!

121. Damaris on April 15, 2012 at 8:35 am

Damaris again: This is my blog ( i’ve just started it) http://theinvisibleshadows.wordpress.com can’t wait to be tomorrow for all the new stuff. Man I love LP!.

122. Agent of Khaos on April 15, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’m excited for the album and I think bridging the gap with Living Things will bring new appreciation to the albums that precede Living Things. I think that people weren’t ready for the drastically different Minutes to Midnight and the polarizing A Thousand Suns (one of my all time favorite albums by the way) because they were expecting the old Linkin Park but the old LP is there in the lyrics. It was never about the sound of the song. It was always the lyrics.

123. cesar2193 on April 15, 2012 at 8:32 am

Well, let me tell you Mike i will always support you and i’m really excited because tomorrow i finally will hear something new from you guys, i like every single song in your 4 albums, from the ones like “One Step closer” or “faint” till the ones like “iridescent” or “shadow of the day”. If this album will really be the combination of old LP and the new one i think this will be the most epic album by you.

124. Damaris on April 15, 2012 at 8:31 am

Thanks a lot for this explanation Mike. As i’m French i had to read this 3 times!!. I like to know (and somewhat analyse) what lead you ( guys) to take whatever the decision is regarding an album or so. I like being in your head, at this point, like you allow us to be in, through this blog’s entry that’s very interesting. Even though if for now i wont really comment what you’ve written, i’ll copy this and paste on my blog ( and quote where this come from unless you don’t want to!) on wordpress and say what i gotta say… I’ll write a blog/review about “Burn It Down” as well ( can’t wait to be tomorrow).
    I really like this Entry Mike!.
    Thank you. :)

125. shazz501 on April 15, 2012 at 8:29 am

ok,i’m thinking that from the way the text at the bottom of the post is written,mike either dropped a boo boo or a HUGE surprise,i’m cunfused..lol..either way can’t wait!!!

126. exotiquesfrors on April 15, 2012 at 8:25 am

“…the idea that the six guys in our band have drastically different tastes in music,…”

That’s why I love LP, six guys with try to challenge the different ways !

Thanks for open up your mind to your soldiers.

127. sergiordz on April 15, 2012 at 8:24 am

Loved the part of the red hair times. Look, when a music band is comfortable with themselves, or with what they are doing, the music that comes out will be always good to hear. All your past albums are good to hear, even when some dudes are stucked still in HT and Meteora, some of us keep moving along you guys.
    Loved the part of the new tour plans, hope you’ll get come to my country this time, I think Mexico deserves it. Greetings Mike, keep all the good work, while we wait until another good album is releases.

128. evooba on April 15, 2012 at 8:22 am

Let me begin by saying that you are an awesome blogger. You have this thing of putting emotions and feelings and whatever’s happening inside of your head about all these things in a very very artistic, may I say, way. It simply draws you to read it.
    Well, I’m super excited for the new stuff although I have to admit that I had my second guesses about Living Things. Haven’t heard any of the snippets and won’t do till Monday. Just way say, thank you for making the music. Each record is unique in it’s own way and I’m pretty sure this one is gonna be a HUGE ehm “sample” of what you’ve accomplished as a band those years. Cannot wait to hear it. :)

129. yomarqueslp on April 15, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’ve been a fan since Hybrid Theory, but I can tell you that I’ve never been so excited for an album before. I’m really happy that you guys finally found the right place for yourselves and I can’t wait to listen to the new single and album. I’m sure I’m gonna love it, as always. Thank you so much for always being such a big inspiration for us. You guys are awesome. Wishing you all the best with the new album, see you at Rock In Rio Lisboa! :D

130. cogumelogeek on April 15, 2012 at 8:20 am

Reblogged this on cogumelogeek.

131. segumisama on April 15, 2012 at 8:18 am

EXTREMELY excited about the new album right now. I feel as if I need to literally go bounce off the walls or something of that nature.

132. pioneer0 on April 15, 2012 at 8:17 am

Thank you Mike.
    Looking forward to listening to the new album.
    See you on tour.

Love,

133. cawproject on April 15, 2012 at 8:16 am

thank you Mike for the insight of what you and your band-mates did and will do.
    I loved the very first 2 albums, but I realized that it hasn’t to be a specific style. I hear on every album the LP aspect and that is what makes you unique for me.
    respect for that.

134. drichester on April 15, 2012 at 8:15 am

Mike, you will always have the support of fans, I’m sure is a great album out there!

135. stingerlp on April 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

And finally the new album name officially confirmed! Thanks Mike for taking a time and share the background of the album with us!

136. xxdurg on April 15, 2012 at 8:13 am

YESSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS

137. fanlp37 on April 15, 2012 at 8:11 am

Yeahhhh!!! I want it

138. Julian on April 15, 2012 at 8:11 am

LIVING THINGS FTW
    be sure to tell us how the heck did you guys decided on this name lol.

139. edflinkinp on April 15, 2012 at 8:11 am

Thanks for sharing this with us, Mike. And also I see that you are confirming the Album title as “Living Things”. I have to admit I’m one of those who didn’t really fancy that title, but I know you guys must have a very good reason behind it, as everything you do has a lot of substance. You’ve claimed in the past that you aren’t very good at naming things but you have done a great job recently.

I’ll preorder your album tomorrow, since MTM I’ve done the sacrifice to overcome currency issues and preorder your music, because I AM, snd STILL WILL BE loyal to your music, you guys are amazing.

I am really looking forward to LIVING THINGS. From Venezuela, I send you my best wishes

140. Braffschein on April 15, 2012 at 8:10 am

Agreed with @UNFORGETTABLESOUND, this looks weird. Unless it’s true, of course.

141. nateh89 on April 15, 2012 at 8:09 am

So, everybody was wrong about Living Things not being the album name…lol Unless…it’s a codename, hmmmm.

142. immalpfan on April 15, 2012 at 8:09 am

That’s the spirit and i love how u all do what u like and not do what people want u to do. forever supporting you guys and can’t wait for the next album (: Mike u are forever my inspiration :D

143. unforgettablesound on April 15, 2012 at 8:08 am

“The single BURN IT DOWN and the album LIVING THINGS will be available tomorrow.”

Might wanna change the wording on that, the way it’s written kind of implies the album will be available tomorrow, and regardless of if it was stated above to just be the album art for the album, I feel like someone will misconstrue it.

Maybe it’s just me though.

144. kelly jean on April 15, 2012 at 8:05 am

I just have to tell you I really live the snippet I heard of the new song and I’m so excited to hear the album! Thanks you guys !

145. Braffschein on April 15, 2012 at 8:05 am

I wanted to say a lot while reading this but suddenly all I can say right now is “I love you guys so much I might marry your music”.<3

146. linkinparkette on April 15, 2012 at 8:04 am

i dont want to go to school tomorrow. i just want to sit in my room and listen to the radio all day and pre order @.@

147. colinreid on April 15, 2012 at 8:02 am

Words cannot explain how excited I am right now