RECAP: #LIVINGTHINGS TWITTER LISTENING PARTY

June 27, 2012

A few weeks ago, I challenged the fans to hold off listening to the album until release day. I had suggested the fans create their own listening party, and share with us on Twitter. As it turns out, one group of fans scheduled a big online “listening party”, celebrating the release in the U.S. I decided to join them.

I’ve never seen anything like it. The sheer volume of activity and excitement was astounding. I’m writing to share some of that excitement with those of you who weren’t there.

We all hit play, together, worldwide, around 1pm PST. As the album played, people shared reactions in words, photos, and videos. LIVING THINGS was a top-two trending topic on Twitter worldwide for about an hour. People were freaking out. I re-tweeted some of the comments, and added some of my own thoughts. I also favorite-ed many of the things people were saying and the pictures they put up. There was so much going on; my Twitter feed was impossible to follow. After it was done, many people listened to it again. Others stayed on just to chat.

I can’t really recreate any of the actual magic of the day, but luckily, I don’t have to.

Here are a few snippets:

To get a real sense of how it went down, check out this stuff people said:

…and my own Twitter feed:

1. alax on July 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

THANK YOU, Mike, to join this wonderful Listening Party night with us!!! We had so much fun together! Besides, the album is so great! Just got my CD few days ago! ;) Here’s the photo: http://instagr.am/p/MITNjDINTg/
    Hope that one day you’ll notice me too on twitter (@alaxlp)

Proud LP Soldier,
    Alexandra.

2. penneysound on July 1, 2012 at 6:29 pm

i have a random question

was the song “castle of glass” in any way inspired by the series “firefly”?

3. cherrybubble89 on June 30, 2012 at 12:03 pm

Babyboys asleep, hubby “parked” in front of his laptop and I finally had the time to listen to LIVING THINGS!

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THIS AWESOME ALBUM!!!! :)

4. nine84 on June 29, 2012 at 1:52 pm

5. nine84 on June 29, 2012 at 1:51 pm

Yeah, my face is on MS.com :D but, I looks terrible :(
    It was a great day!!! LT is awesome, really!! All people over the world can feel the power, your feeling and so on of you and LP on your songs. That is amazing and unbelievable or?

6. tanja3582 on June 29, 2012 at 11:25 am

I preordered the album on 16th April and still haven´t received it yet. Thats sucks… :-(

7. silentbaggage on June 29, 2012 at 10:30 am

Is it just me or is there someone else who feels weird when listening to this album?
    There is this electronic keyboardish sound in many songs that sounds like high frequency beams, that just causes me to feel nauseating. Tried equalising that sound off but was unsuccessful

Anyone encounter the same? I love the tune and lyrics but I need to get ride of that skin crawling sound to really enjoy the album

8. silentbaggage on June 29, 2012 at 10:24 am

Is it just me or is there someone out there also unable to bear listening to the album?
    I don’t know why but I get nausea when I listen to this album. There is this electric keyboardish sound that feels like high frequency vibrations that’s really causing me to cringe

I like the tune and lyrics, but no matter how I try to equalise off that beaming sound…. It’s just not working for me.

Please let me know if you encounter this and how you dealth with it. Thanks

9. anvanoppens on June 29, 2012 at 4:11 am

YAY, my face is on MS.com! :)
    Btw thanks for being envolved so much, hope you enjoyed the album as much as we -after 2000+ times of listening- still do
    An – aka Ms. Ambassador :)

10. linkinparkette on June 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Every day when I wake up I listen to Living Things. We have to listen to it everyday cuz… its called living things ;D and we are living… anyone gets it? ;D anyone? ;D no?… I tried…

11. lopezkerlin on June 28, 2012 at 3:55 pm

that was cool to see how the people were of excited about living things. :D greetings.

12. cherrybubble89 on June 28, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Had no time yet to buy it, but I will defo buy it next week!
    I’m very excited, can’t wait to hear it!

Wish I had it here already, I’m sure it would cheer me up later cause Germany’s losing soccer right now and I’m about to cry millions of tears.

13. magz12 on June 28, 2012 at 11:31 am

the songs that i totaly enjoyed was powerless, castle of glass, and victimized!! XD greatest songs EVA! u guys shouldnt be afraid to go back to the old. all fans appreciate all the music! cuz in my point of view this generation needs the old linkin park back. instead of listenin to music about sex,drugs,parties,drinkin… that bad inflences! u guys bring ou the poetic better type of music, with a geat meaning. so linkin park thanx for the music that we enjoy and thanx for not commin up with a song about the 4 tings i described earlier. love u guys till i die and to pass on from generations to come! “once a LP soldier… always and will be a soldier” –>M.C.

14. claradiandra on June 28, 2012 at 10:09 am

I’m very proud of you and Linkin Park :)

15. tubaaka on June 28, 2012 at 8:28 am

I have never seen an artist ( you’re an artist, not just a singer,a song writer or a rapper, you are a unique artist ) who is that close to their fans.
    I am always so proud to be a fan of you,
    I gotta say, the album is awesome
    and your attitude to your fans is…well, I can’t find a word for it :)
    I want to thank you for that; please keep that up….

16. justtoannoyyou on June 28, 2012 at 12:49 am

I wasn’t amazed like that since Meteora came out.
    Good Job.

17. 13medaau on June 28, 2012 at 12:44 am

I WAS going to wait for the CD to arrive before listening to it, but the delivery’s being painful. Oh, well, the downloads were delivered (Translated: Listening now)

18. xiaotun on June 27, 2012 at 10:16 pm

Facts have proved that you are very good at sharing your feelings with your fans.I rarely see a star like you, hope you can maintain, we will always support you.
    By the way, I super like the prelude to In My Remains,give you a big thanks.
    Xiaotun from China

19. adiek84 on June 27, 2012 at 10:07 pm

Hey Mike, some people just told me that you mentioned the Twitter Party on Loveline. That was really sweet of you! I think I should correct a little misunderstanding though, since I was also told, you said I was “a girl from LPA”. Actually I have my own website where I organize those things, then I notify all LP sites about it. This time LPA, LP Times, Black Chester’s site and LPRevolution helped me with promoting the event. I don’t want to downplay their part and I definitely love the LPA community, but I guess it would be a bit unfair to the other sites to solely credit the LPA. :-)

20. skyolker on June 27, 2012 at 9:30 pm

I love this record! I was waiting for album like this since I heard Meteora. It’s not about the sound, but about energy! LT has a great energy (FINALLY!)! I like new sounds and tricks u use here, which u learned during writing previous albums, but with old taste!
    I was reading Chester’s resent Kerrang interwiew and I was surprised how close his thoughts were to mine, when he was talking about difference of all LP records. He was missing energy of HT and Meteora (so did I) and u brought it back with LT! But I understand why u needed to write MTM and ATS. It was important. And I can see it in new record. I’m glad you’re not afraid to be yourselves anymore. You found u were looking for.

21. angela on June 27, 2012 at 6:32 pm

one of a kind album…proud to be a fan since Hybrid Theory.You guys never gone out of idea and you just keep on evolving and evolving and that nobody can top that…you were just showing us not to be afraid of change and be brave to face such change..thank you again…

22. purnamalp on June 27, 2012 at 5:45 pm

Holy spiderman!LivingThings beyond amazing & ooh hai Brad ur voice is awesome :3

23. akyfung on June 27, 2012 at 5:23 pm

That’s incredible, Mike. Thanks for sharing! I missed the listening party, but I’d like to tell you that I love the new album. Keep up the awesome work! :)

24. milasouza11 on June 27, 2012 at 3:15 pm

What you did yesterday, with that retweets and favorite-ed some tweets, it was insane. I mean, absolutely amazing.
    I don’t know if you’ve idea what your manifestation represent for a fan.I’m sure you made a lot of people happy because of that attitude you had. I never had seen you so close with fans like yesterday (i refer on twitter), fans and you sharing the happiness about Living THings

While was happening ‘Listening Party’ I was working, but I’m glad by the fans who have catched your attention, even though i no have had the same lucky.

Perhaps my words are not so interesting

25. Michael Gonzalez on June 27, 2012 at 2:03 pm

Yesterday was AMAZING, Mike. I had a lot of fun listening to LIVING THINGS with you and thousands of more dedicated fans.

I wrote a personal review of LIVING THINGS, and would love for you to read it, and let me know what you think.

You guys did great on the album.

Here is the link to my review: http://tiny.cc/du0kgw

Twitter.com/msgproductions

26. kristinamd on June 27, 2012 at 1:29 pm

i was here!!! (Twitter Chat fav from MS) was awesome, unbelievable, exciting!!!! we rock the world!!!! Who run this motha?! we are! linkin park! #LIVINGTHINGS

27. deslpgirl on June 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm

One of the best things about Linkin Park is the fact that you guys always give to the fans. I was there with all the amazing people listening to the album and my thought was ” how amazing is it that Mike Shinoda is listening alongside us?”It was an AMAZING experience.I can’t think of any other band that takes as much time as u guys do for their fans.
    I think thats why your band is the best. You make us feel like we matter like we are a part of the band in a way.And I want to thank you for making us feel close to u guys and for making yet another amazing album!!!

28. deadzeezorn on June 27, 2012 at 1:00 pm

the Idea of the listening party was such an ultimate fun though the challenge was a bit tough, moreover the Album is so so so AMAZING, I thought Linkin park will never survive after A Thousand Suns (such original fine piece of art) which for me, everytime I listen to it I still feel like it’s brand new,however Living Things is more private, more touchee and more delegate .. I Enjoyed the party world wide and I dedicated some of these songs to my friends and family members (I didn’t spam you on twitter:D Next time, Mike, be ready “kiddin”:) instead I was on the LPU chat, we had fun together and that’s wat the music is all about.

Linkin Park 4ever
    Zee

29. mercenary18 on June 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

It was only number 2 kuz the number 1 thing that was trending was promoted =) The listening party was a lot of fun <3 We should definitely do this again!!!

30. anasummer on June 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Hi, Mike!
    it was awesome to share such a day\night with all the LP family and you yesterday on Twitter. incredible party and congratulations – you created masterpiece. it is amazing and it was worthy to wait 5 days more after release date in Ukraine to open such a present together! Epic! oh, and thanks for favouriting my 2 posts, it caused massive jumping on our party ))
    PS.there’s actually one bad thing about this album..it’s TOO SHORT! )) gimme some more
    love&light your way.
    Anastasia.

31. skyolker on June 27, 2012 at 10:53 am

It was an awesome worldwide flashmob! I felt the connection. :)Pretty much we were going with you to the next songs almost second to second. ;) It was very cool! And thanx for your comments about making the songs.
    It was very interesting to know, what was happening during writing process. Poor Chester, I wonder, why he was in the studio while being so sick? How could he scream like that (I’m sick right now and I can barely normally talk)?
    Awesome work on new record. Great energy! I was expecting record like this for awhile! (it’s not like I don’t like ATS, but it’s way too mellow and is good for the thinking mood ;) Lost In The Echo is going to be one of my favs FO SHO!

32. demozene on June 27, 2012 at 10:51 am

Mike please release the album on vinyl too! awesome music

33. oskarbu on June 27, 2012 at 10:44 am

was a good party :P

34. cuentosdebie on June 27, 2012 at 10:39 am

Reblogged this on Cuentos de Bie and commented:
    LIVING THINGS

35. fatimalp on June 27, 2012 at 10:31 am

Reblogged this on My Blog and commented:
    It was so awesome! Thank you for listening Living Things with us and for making June 26th even more special with this twitter listening party! Also it was really cool to see #LIVINGTHINGS on WW TT and some songs from the album -https://twitter.com/xamitafx/status/217720265310871552/photo/1 Thanks once again! Wish we could do another listening session on the next album release day! ;D

36. snaggy95 on June 27, 2012 at 10:27 am

That party was flat out epic. So amazing getting to share it with people around the world! thank you so much you guys!

37. ambergirl87 on June 27, 2012 at 10:23 am

and once again,thank u Mike for this amazing challenge and event! u really bring my childhood memories listening our fav artists for the first time waiting this long!i’m soooo glad i made it to the end and i’ve listen the album with the rest of the world on the same time! if this is not “the magic” u’re talking about,than i don’t know what it is! and thank u for this amazing album,the waiting was worth it! can believe how far u guys come , i still remember Hybrid days…man!12 years later LP rocking the universe!

38. niru013 on June 27, 2012 at 10:18 am

It was fun, even when my twitter froze and then go back with 100+ new tweets and then again when i leave to pay attention to my 3 year old babyboy and there where 350+ when i go back. It was an amazing experience and it was thanks to you guys and your work of love THANK YOU =)
    P.S. It was lovely that your beloved share the madness that you created in the world

39. cuentosdebie on June 27, 2012 at 10:08 am

Yesterday was an amazing experience ,, although technically I was listening alone at 3am but I get to share and listen to the album together through the LPU Chatroom , w/ the LPU Family & the rest of the world through Twitter. Well NOT ALONE then :) .. Thank you Mike ;
    1. For EXISTING !
    2. For being so cool joining the Listening Party with us ( the fans)
    3. Of course the album LIVING THINGS
    and lastly : For RT-ing me xD

@bie_1odya – representing Indonesia

40. asseda on June 27, 2012 at 10:06 am

Thank you for this wonderful experience! I liked this feeling to be a part of something huge and unique so bad! And one more time – LIVING THINGS is a chef-d’œuvre, congrats! :)

Much love from Russia :)

41. Ally on June 27, 2012 at 10:05 am

I really had a lt of fun doing this yesterday. Even today I am still enjoying the album talking to people about it on Skype, twitter, lpu chat, And Facebook Even went walking in a park with it to feel the nature of living things. K

42. curlylp on June 27, 2012 at 9:52 am

It was truly amazing. I have no words. I mean, what’s better than listening the new album of your favorite band with one member? Thank you so much for being so close to your fans. You are like a friend that is always near to us sharing all the moments of your career. We should do it more often. Keep rocking!

43. YoMarquesLP on June 27, 2012 at 9:46 am

That was an amazing listening party. I had listened to LIVING THINGS for the first time on that same day some hours before, with some of my friends. Then I joined the Twitter listening party later on, it was awesome! Thank you so much for joining us, Mike, and also for being with us in the LPU chat. It was amazing to share this with you and with this great community! LIVING THINGS kicks ass, it’s truly a masterpiece. Well done, guys, proud of you.

44. shoegaze4u on June 27, 2012 at 9:45 am

I think if you are constantly bombarded with sugar-sweet praise, is not that significant. I am certainly a very critical fan but I really want to repeat, what you recognized yesterday during the twitter release party:

LIVING THINGS have become fantastic! I’ve been ‘on bord’ since ATS and that album was a master piece in music. Therefore I was a little afraid of the next album, because you have set the bar very high.

But the fear was so completely unfounded :) You just know, how to make all fans (old and new) happy. And the very special for LP is, that you obviously don’t have to disguise yourself to reach this. Impressive. Thx and tell your band mates! Love you guys

45. nofkingway on June 27, 2012 at 9:42 am

the new album is amazing, the other albums are amazing, you’re amazing, the listening party was amazing, everything’s just amazing. Thank you LP for making perfect music! Take care Mike! Love from Portugal

46. akirafcrates on June 27, 2012 at 9:35 am

I gotta join the ThankYous.
    Thank you guys for having started making music, and for keeping on doing so. Living Things is just the latest of a superb list of masterpieces (from Hybrid Theory to the astonishing A Thousand Suns) in the history of music.
    And thank you, Mike, for having been part of this amazing experience we had yesterday! It was beautiful, nothing like I ever experienced. I felt truly part of the Army of your Soldiers!! :D Hope next albums will host similar events. This was just, wow.

47. manyalp on June 27, 2012 at 9:29 am

Mike, Chester, Brad, Dave, Joe, Rob…
    Thank you guys for being there.
    Thank you for the album.

Mike, I just wanted to say this album has brought something new into my life. I wasn’t expecting this new direction.
    You guys can change. One can’t just say: LP’s like that, or like that.
    LP is LP. And that’s why I’m a fan.
    Thank you Mike for the challenge and for the listening party.
    Manya

48. cincybmxlpfreak on June 27, 2012 at 9:28 am

Yesterday was so much fun. :) This album is also so much fun. :) I’ll let you know when I actually decide to put another CD into my CD player…I’m so excited that this album blew me away cause the last album I was really excited about and bought was Young The Giant’s self-titled album and I was extremely disappointed…I’m just too used to the amazing mind-blowing albums that you guys put out.

49. adiek84 on June 27, 2012 at 9:23 am

Reblogged this on Adiek84's Blog and commented:
    Mike posted a recap of yesterday’s big Listening Party on Twitter. Make sure to check out the Facebook event’s page since many fans are still posting pictures there. We got #LIVINGTHINGS and also a few song titles trending, so this was a huge success. Stay tuned for whatever else is coming up in the LP Fan World! Here’s the FB Page’s link: https://www.facebook.com/events/190460751081012/

50. malion88 on June 27, 2012 at 9:21 am

The listening party yesterday was so much fun, especially when the only company I had beside me was a sleeping sister and two cats. ;)

Thank you SO MUCH for making the most mind-blowing album ever! From LOST IN THE ECHO to POWERLESS you’re taken on an emotional journey, up and down like a roller coaster. POWERLESS is by far the most powerful track on the soundtrack and a perfect way to end a perfect album!

Thank you Mike. Thank you Chester, Rob, Brad, Dave and Joe, from the bottom of my heart! I admire your creativity, your ability to not only make music you love, but music the rest of us fall in love with so fast. I can’t wait for you to go on your european tour. LIVING THINGS <3 <3

51. andreazamber on June 27, 2012 at 9:19 am

At first I thought this might be a nice Idea, I never thought this would turn out to be so EPIC! And I can´t express how awsome it is that you participated in this! There is no band that is so close to the Fans as Linkin Park is, and I would say a lot of credit for that goes to you :)
    Thanks for being like that!!!

52. adiek84 on June 27, 2012 at 9:17 am

Thanks again for joining us! I’m still a bit gobsmacked about this. When I organized this listening party, I was thinking about a way to celebrate with a few of my Twitter friends, but not only did LPA, LPT etc. promote this event like crazy, you even choose this party’s time for your tweeting, and yesterday even Warner and the Linkin Park Twitter tweeted about it, making this tiny fan party an official event. Really funny! The party itself was sooo amazing. It was over way too short, unfortunately! I don’t think any other band would do something like this for the fans, so thanks so much for being you! Also, the LP fans can do anything! Let’s move mountains tomorrow!

53. EpicLinkinPark on June 27, 2012 at 9:16 am

I can’t thank you guys enough for truly being so inspirational to others. It was an amazing day yesterday, all the fans came together and we listened all at the same time. I really love how you guys are so dedicated to the fans and your work. It really shows how you guys worked so hard on this album. I think it’s one of your best albums. The lyrics were rich and the music flowed with the lyrics. I really can’t explain how amazing this album is. Thanks again LP for everything you guys have done, you guys deserve the best, I am proud and happy for you guys. Truly. Enjoy the tours and hopefully see you guys again next time. Take care. Best wishes! -Kate

54. valkriz on June 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

IT REACHED TOP 2 ON TT MIKE!!! FOR A LONG WHILE http://pic.twitter.com/Ob5tvchQ

It was magical, a fan cannot ask for more and same with the band. You were really nice with us and I noticed the fans also supported you with all their hearts! Three cheers for #livingThings !!

55. Tacy_DS on June 27, 2012 at 9:13 am

Yesterday was an amazing experience…the whole world connected at once…Thanks for this awesome album…so epic, deep and full of emotions…

56. Alexandra Nofi on June 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

I really enjoyed this listening party so much. It’s always, I can’t think of a better word than “honor”, to be able to be a part of something that so many others are a part of at the same time. I think sometimes, people forget that we are not just one person, we are many people.

On a fluffier note, my friend Allison (@NephythysPhoenix) called me and was like “OMG Mike retweeted you!” and we had a little friendship moment there, thank you for that :D

57. L. on June 27, 2012 at 9:09 am

dear Mike, you guys are not only amazing at making music, but you’re also brilliant at engaging fans too. mad respect and love. (y)

58. dcl1982 on June 27, 2012 at 9:08 am

This is the most fun I’ve had online in awhile! Thank you so much to you and Anna, for joining us! We love you both and the rest of the LP family.

59. evooba on June 27, 2012 at 9:08 am

It was amazing right? I can’t believe we did this yesterday. It had to be one of the biggest, if not the biggest, worldwide Linkin Park event. Shout out to you for managing to keep up with the craziness on both Twitter and the LPU chat.

Once again, the record is really dope. You guys did an amazing work, like always! Btw, you mentioned yesterday that someone should rap on Skin To Bone; ask Ryu to do it! Like maybe for the remix! It’ll be mind-blowing.

60. tensh_iie on June 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

It was amazing! Thank you once again for this great chance to be part of anything like this. I was waiting to hear the record, even though it was released earlier in my country and this thing yesterday was totally worth the wait. THANK YOU, and your band bandmates for this GREAT piece of music. It blew me away!! Totally amazing!! Thank you! Thank you!

PLUS, I’ve never seen my TL go THAT crazy like yesterday, it was PURE INSANITY and we ALL enjoyed it to the FULLEST!! Great!

61. therosko on June 27, 2012 at 9:06 am

Amazing! Thank you very much for joining us! It was the best album release ever! You guys did an amazing work there and I guess the majority of fans loved it! I was speechless the first time I heard it and can’t wait to hear some of the songs live! It was amazing! Thank you once again

-rvi a.k.a Rossi from Bulgaria

62. Braffschein on June 27, 2012 at 9:04 am

Excuse you, top-TWO trending topic. Linkin Park was trending for an hour, too. And also names of songs were trending while the whole world was listening.
    Thank you, man. This was epic. I am so lucky to be Linkin Park fan.