My Chapter for Jono Bacon’s ART OF COMMUNITY Second Edition

July 3, 2012

A while back, the amazing Chris Anderson (Wired, TED) introduced me to a guy named Jono Bacon.  With Chris recommending we speak, and with a name like that, there was no way I could forget this guy.  Jono is the author of a fantastic book called The Art Of Community.  The book is about growing, empowering, and leading communities to success, both online and in the world.

As it turned out, he was writing the second edition of the book, and asked me for an interview for one of his chapters.  I gladly obliged.

Now, the new book is out (with my interview chapter) and you can check it out here on Amazon: LINK

Jono also notes: “While the book is available to buy in bookstores it is also licensed under a Creative Commons license — I have believed that if you don’t have $40 to your name but want to improve your community, you should have access to the information. People can download it from the website at http://www.artofcommunityonline.org/ too.

So: either get it for free, or purchase it and support Jono if you can.  Either way, please help Jono and me out by spreading the word.

Thanks,

1. jaw80 on August 12, 2012 at 8:28 pm

Mike,thank u for sharing this :)

2. ttanel on July 5, 2012 at 1:48 pm

What is your relation with Larry Shinoda?

3. Radyo Plexus on July 5, 2012 at 10:21 am

Thanx for sharing,Mike.

4. koocoomoo on July 4, 2012 at 9:17 pm

BACON D:
    Sounds like a fictional character out of LPU chat.. **cough cough**
    Anything you support (mostly) we’ll support :>
    /icecreamsandwich

5. vickykun on July 4, 2012 at 7:15 am

Awesome! I´m going to buy it /download it for sure, ´cause I work with social media,which means: Online communities ,etc…

I´m glad to see that you decided to share your knowledge about the subject! That only proves How great you are as a Thinker and a business man!
    (no boot licking here ,dude)

6. xiaotun on July 3, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Press praise

7. Alexandra Nofi on July 3, 2012 at 6:13 pm

I got myself way more hopeful than I should have been before actually reading this journal entry because, I’ve been waiting for years and years for you to participate in a written work either in a journalistic manner or in a creative/story-telling way.

Books are a hard thing for me to get into. I mostly read manga, but even then I get outrageously picky. I’ve read some classic novels here and there, and I worship Stephen King but the only book of his I’ve finished is Misery (just started The Dark Half though, so good!) I have a collection of art books too.

Can’t buy The Art of Community, not yet anyways, but I can certainly download it in the meantime!

8. segumisama on July 3, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Jono Bacon? Awesome name. I’ll be sure to check it out.

9. adiek84 on July 3, 2012 at 12:48 pm

Reblogged this on Linkin Park Fan Corner.

10. therosko on July 3, 2012 at 12:06 pm

Hey, here is something to read at the beach this summer ;) Thanks!

11. nlopezdearenosa on July 3, 2012 at 11:57 am

I just arranged with LPUTeamFreeWill to make donations to MFR, I won’t have spending money until September now ): I’d feel bad downloading it. Maybe I can buy later in the month as used……

Thanks for sharing and for everything you do (:

12. adiek84 on July 3, 2012 at 10:31 am

I had to grab that book right away! Sorry, if I mentioned it here before, but your blog and an interview with you (with TechZulu, I think)have played a very important part in me getting my own blog. The way I set up my blog and connected it to Facebook & Twitter is pretty much based on what you said in that interview. Over 135,000 hits later and with an additional blog (the Linkin Park franchise of my personal blog XD), I have built up my own community which is tightly interlaced with the LP community. And we can do awesome things together – like Listening Parties on Twitter! I’m very happy to be part of the LP community, which is one of a kind, in my opinion.

13. linkinparkette on July 3, 2012 at 10:25 am

The cover of that book looks really cool :3

14. dcl1982 on July 3, 2012 at 9:55 am

Sounds cool, Mike. I will definitely pass this info along!

15. YoMarquesLP on July 3, 2012 at 9:12 am

Sounds awesome! Thanks for letting us know :)

16. nephthysphoenix on July 3, 2012 at 9:11 am

Funny Barnes & Nobles I just called and they were out of stock.

Looks like I will be placing an order.

17. valkriz on July 3, 2012 at 9:05 am

thanks for sharing this Mike, I’ll be sure to pass it on. It will help and encourage a lot of people