Fort Minor Fans: The Album You Thought You’d Never Hear.

September 27, 2012

I first met STYLES OF BEYOND (S.O.B.) in the late ’90s, rapping at parties and with friends in the San Fernando Valley, north of L.A.  Years later, I featured them on my Fort Minor album, on songs like Remember The Name and Believe Me.

After we wrapped up the touring for FM, the guys were signed to Linkin Park’s imprint Machine Shop Records.  Above all, I believed in these guys, and I loved the music they made.  Shortly thereafter, we began putting the finishing touches on an amazing album, Reseda Beach.  Aside from the music they self-produced, we had tracks from J. Dilla and Scoop Deville, and even a super random cameo appearance by Michael Buble (which didn’t make album, but was an amazing experiment).

It was a very exciting time–I always felt like the album they put together showcased exactly what set this group apart from other rap collectives: their knack for setting a tone and vibe, their unique sense of humor, and their classic-sounding style.

As I mentioned HERE a while back, we had every intention of releasing the S.O.B. album on our imprint label, but we ran into roadblocks.  When things got impossible, Styles Of Beyond split up, and decided to pursue separate interests. It was a terrible time, especially for them, but also for me–we had all put so much work and hope into this project, and it seemed that it might all go straight down the toilet.

But recently, thanks to persistent interest from fans, Ryu, Tak, Cheapshot, Skully, and some mutual friends decided to put out the album that we all put so much work into.

I’ve always been a big fan of this album, and I’m glad you’re all going to be able to hear it.  Here’s one of my favorite tracks off the record, The Pirate Song:

So please support the guys, check this out, and spread the word.  They’ve got a bundle that comes with a t-shirt, and another bundle that comes with a second CD (including many of the other tracks we recorded while making the album, featuring Bishop Lamont, Scoop Deville, Apathy, Celph Titled, and some guy named Mike Shinoda).

Get the album HERE

1. laksikus on October 24, 2012 at 1:14 am

Great, it’s finally out. “Dumb it down” made my day! First song i ever heard, that samples “Surfing bird”.

2. Alexandra Nofi on October 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

I don’t doubt that you did everything you could for S.O.B. when they first tried to release Reseda Beach. But from that previous situation, all I remember was how angry Tak was, and voicing some resentment toward you. On one hand, you have a professional relationship to these guys, but on the other hand, they are also your friends. I am hoping that means you are all on better terms now. One of the hardest things I have ever had to deal with, is a friendship going sour, trying to rekindle it, and it ends up crashing and burning.

3. cleopatrashinoda on October 7, 2012 at 7:19 am

P.S. Had to grab this spot.:p

4. cleopatrashinoda on October 7, 2012 at 7:17 am

Alright. 10:30 p.m.your time Wednesday. I’m counting on you. You wouldn’t believe what I found. Um, my son is God. :) I mean, you will hit the floor. But I have to use JFK *BARF* Yo, I got my flight for 148.60. I called @ like 9:30am today to book it and that was the price. So many instances of God helping me. I’m worried about Austin’s well-being. I don’t want him to go “home”. Hope all is well. Sorry if I look disheveled when I see you- I’m carrying some Austin so it doesn’t happen. I’ve always cured things with dancing and energy carried in the eyes- no need for anything invasive. Shaking the tree works. So,I’m lonely. I can’t believe I supported Benji Madden. Tabi

5. thegrandkaidbz on October 5, 2012 at 5:04 pm

Hey Mike check this out!!

6. cleopatrashinoda on October 5, 2012 at 1:59 pm

I found an untainted Indian restaurant in Manhattan. I got my yummy comfort food. I opened Wells Fargo accounts; but my check won’t clear until Tuesday. :**( So, Tuesday, I should be leaving from LaGuardia instead of JFK. It was INSANE. I will never use JFK EVER. I’ll be staying at one of our finer homeless shelters in the Manhattan area until then. Found a St. Agnes church I liked, stayed for both masses to help the kids out. :) I love Generation Z. I am between Generation X and Y, but you know, I still qualify. So again, I am nervous. Gotta find a place to do laundry, and maybe a shower. I’m running out of my ADD med, gotta do something there… tabi

7. cleopatrashinoda on October 5, 2012 at 6:15 am

Okay. Should be there not any later than Saturday night…I’m nervous… Will call Pete with exacts or I’ll write you here. Had a rough night last night- I got touched in my sleep. These lowly pukes would never try to touch me while I’m awake! I really need… heh, well… some comfort food. I want to try and find a good indian resturaunt after my check comes. Traveler’s Aid @ JFK are like, so crazy. The food, Mike- is like, recycled. I’m counting on you. I really miss my son. He is officially living in Alaska. What a kid. :) He has been through so much. His wife I met @ church. She has looooong thick brown dreads and beautiful brown eyes. I love her, too. :) Be there soon. Tabi

8. xnekocat on October 4, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Do collab with zico

9. spraypaintninkpens on September 29, 2012 at 9:25 pm

Yes! We’ve been waiting for Reseda Beach for years! Now we need a new FM album, it’s been 7 years since TRT!

10. milasouza11 on September 28, 2012 at 8:03 pm

cool

11. parisafakour on September 28, 2012 at 8:08 am

NICE! I like this song, thank you Mike :)

12. Bí Soldier on September 28, 2012 at 7:12 am

Reblogged this on powerless and commented:
    Mong chờ Fort Minor tái xuất lắm @MikeShinoda

13. nimasm on September 28, 2012 at 5:55 am

Reblogged this on LIFE IS AWESOME and commented:
    Fort Minor fans, check it out.

14. showmihomi on September 28, 2012 at 3:39 am

Aaaaaah it’s christmas and nobody told me.

15. nesrinagainst on September 28, 2012 at 12:38 am

Haha this song is so funny, i like it! :D due to linkin park i’m getting more and more open minded for every kind of music, by the way a small thank you ^^

16. nettie21 on September 27, 2012 at 11:11 pm

It was awesome. :)

17. lpmoonshine on September 27, 2012 at 9:52 pm

It was awesome especially the last sentence some guy named Mahshid(me)love u and always support that guy named mike shinoda :D

18. D. F. Smith on September 27, 2012 at 9:23 pm

I’m just the right age to laugh my ass off at that cover artwork. Awesome stuff.

19. shadowluz07 on September 27, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Hm… this Mike Shinoda you mentioned, it rings a bell. XD Great to see some sense of revival to the collaboration. Really glad your guys’ hardwork didn’t sink to the drain.

20. argol8489 on September 27, 2012 at 5:52 pm

further proof that the one who perseveres reaches, this album will be a great treasure for all fans, we must spread the word and make this album can be heard in every corner … I hope lasts a long time.

21. hdolubizno on September 27, 2012 at 5:34 pm

I see what you did there with the ‘roadblocks’ thing. Very nice sir. Megadef and 2000 Fold were some great records. Can’t wait for this new one!

22. crusty85 on September 27, 2012 at 5:30 pm

Haha the ending was best “and some guy named Mike Shinoda” xD

23. Braffschein on September 27, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Roadblocks…

24. andydlp on September 27, 2012 at 3:26 pm

I was going to order the bundle but I need to set up a stupid paypal account so…….I’m gonna pass. Looking forward to hearing the album nonetheless

25. elipeca on September 27, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I love! I want the album, complicated I’m on the other side of the continent =)

26. svstels on September 27, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Hey people! Please check out my version of Lost In The Echo here: http://www.indabamusic.com/opportunities/linkin-park-lost-in-the-echo-remix-contest

27. dianelp on September 27, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Well thank you for that Mike! I’m glad to hear this song and soon listen the rest of the album! It’s awesome :)

28. gatsie on September 27, 2012 at 1:31 pm

Finally, been waiting for this for a long time…

29. dcl1982 on September 27, 2012 at 1:01 pm

The Pirate song is dope! SOB has been my favorite rap groups since I heard them on The Rising Tied!

30. rocksylvie on September 27, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Finally!!! Hey, I know that guy, Mike Shinoda! He’s cool!

31. Linkin Park Bulgaria on September 27, 2012 at 12:20 pm

Reblogged this on Wisdom, Justice, Linkin Park.

32. linkinoda on September 27, 2012 at 12:18 pm

I Dont Care About You

33. NephthysPhoenix on September 27, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Really cool! Looking forward to the album actually now. That some guy named Mike Shinoda might ruin it though. I’ll let you know what I think of that Shinoda guy. Can’t wait!

34. fogopop on September 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

SO excited to finally hear this! I went into “The Rising Tied” as a Mike Shinoda fan, and instantly became a Styles Of Beyond (as well as Holly Brook/Skylar Grey) fan. They’re so damn excellent! Check on the rep, yep, second to none.

35. koalasanduzis on September 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Reblogged this on koalasanduzis and commented:
    Wanna know the story behind Reseda Beach? Read Mike Shinoda’s blog!

36. linkinoda on September 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

i like don’t care

37. Captain Xtreme on September 27, 2012 at 12:14 pm

love it!

captainxtreme.wordpress.com

38. nlopezdearenosa on September 27, 2012 at 12:13 pm

Added to my shopping list of CDs! Hitting SecondSpin on Ventura this weekend!

39. YoMarquesLP on September 27, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’m glad that the album is finally out, after all the work you guys put into it! I like the song you posted, and the one with Michael Buble as well, will definitely check the other ones out! Thanks for sharing :)

40. evooba on September 27, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I was expecting you to blog about this since yesterday! Ha! I’ve already pre-ordered my copy, couldn’t miss this! I’ve already listened to Damn and The Pirate Song and I gotta say that both are amazing! Can’t wait to listen to the entire album, must be awesome! Less than a month to go :D
    Also excited for Ryu’s solo project. Any possible collaborations of you two again on that? And please, do me and all the GBC fans a favor and ask the guys to release Opening Ceremony! I know it’s hard and all since a lot happened but a lot of people are asking for it, just like with Reseda Beach.

41. adiek84 on September 27, 2012 at 12:08 pm

Reblogged this on Linkin Park Fan Corner.

42. adiek84 on September 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm

It’s so awesome that they managed to release that album! So many fans were asking about it all the time and we will be forever thankful that they made it happen! There’s so much new music coming now with the Demigodz album slated for January and Ryu working on a solo record (if he finally finds some cool beats XD). The Pirate Song is awesome and I can’t wait to hear the rest!
    I also want to point out that no matter how cool the album is, the surfing rat makes it cooler!

43. leoama12345 on September 27, 2012 at 12:06 pm