Why Doesn’t MTV Play Music Videos Anymore – A Response

November 17, 2012

Some of you have been seeing and passing around the link for this video, which is called “Why doesn’t MTV play videos anymore?”  It’s pretty funny:

Super funny, right?  But…in case any of you were thinking of taking it too seriously (I see you on Twitter)…in all fairness, MTV didn’t really switch to reality TV format ONLY because people started file sharing.  A major factor was actually that playing videos didn’t allow them to get consistent ratings, since people kept switching stations.  Kids might watch a couple videos they liked, but if a video came on that they didn’t, they would switch the channel.  And then they might not come back, because most likely they changed the channel to a 30-minute program that they’d watch in entirety.  So MTV changed to a format that allowed them to get ratings (and make more money, plus entertain people with “shows about vapid people”).

More importantly, the generation that grew up on MTV’s shows like Headbangers Ball and Yo! MTV Raps–aren’t really the generation who started file sharing in the early 2000s.  That was the generation after them; the 1975-1985 generation were all out of college and had joined the workforce by then, and everyone knows it was the high school and college kids who were the first big wave that popularized file sharing.  So those folks were born about 1985 or later.

In other words, the people who grew up looking to MTV for new cool music sometimes look back in sadness at the cancellation of those shows because the generation after them started changing the game.  Which happens.  And those sad nostalgic people do need to grow up, go find those videos on YouTube, and make a playlist or something.

1. cleopatrashinoda on November 29, 2012 at 4:35 pm

Oh, LOL, and sweeties, I meant “may the good in your life” lol not “my the good in your life” lol… Love, Tabi

2. cleopatrashinoda on November 29, 2012 at 4:33 pm

I meant “JAGTA”… *smiles*

3. cleopatrashinoda on November 29, 2012 at 4:32 pm

Jagra- thank you for bringing that to my attention- you are coming to my wedding. I want to die………… I loved it. That was as good as “Losing My Religion” by Phil Collins and “Caterpillar” by KEOKI. Thank you for your support. I love your name, my love. You are perfect and wonderful and my the good in your life be always there for you to see it.

Mike… OMG… these are all Justin’s friends…

I love you so much, sweetie. I’m working on trying to get my dog back after I’m released from the hospital. Working plan is to drive to Cypress to get doggie and head to Virgina, unless something else clicks.

We love you, too. Thanks for the money.

4. jagta on November 27, 2012 at 1:22 am

[youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyXy0m-4bvE&w=560&h=315%5D

Because I’ve grown up. I change my sense in music. Are you a fan of them too Mike?

5. cleopatrashinoda on November 26, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Hi, baby loves… I miss you like untainted food misses the hearts of most children nowadays, made by the love of strict rules and simple understanding of complex enjoyment to the matters of the soul. I love you, my angel. I’m tired. I can’t fall asleep for fear of being attacked. Que sara sara, as long as I don’t get in trouble by the bogus chains of command that bind me. I don’t kmow when or how I’m going to see you, but I mailed a letter to Club Tattoo today :) There’s a Nirvana patch in it for you that I had on my shorts that I sent to you for good luck. I love you, Micheal. Tabitha.

6. pamelamerce on November 25, 2012 at 9:13 pm

agree zero quality!!!!

7. thegluelpfan on November 25, 2012 at 1:52 pm

As it usually does, it comes down to money. I just wish the shows that they offered instead of the music videos were at least worth watching…because quite honestly the quality of their programming is zero.

8. thegrandkaidbz on November 24, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Here’s a band all you MTV generation kids should check out. They sound like Linkin Park but better.

9. cathrrin on November 24, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Oh and I have to contradict you – Although I was born in 1996 (hi, I’m young) I still prefer buying CDs and DVDs because real music lovers don’t want just a virtual file on their computer or on YouTube which could get lost. It’s much better to have physical evidences for being a fan since holding a masterpiece in your own hands makes you feel much happier than seeing it on a well-lighted screen. At least that’s my opinion.

10. cathrrin on November 24, 2012 at 12:30 pm

In Germany it’s just the other way around. We can’t watch music videos on YouTube because they are blocked by the GEMA there and sometimes they are running all day on Viva (German music station).
    But still Viva turns more and more also into a reality-TV channel where are shows like Teen Mom, Jersey Shore, Made (et cetera) and Spongebob Squarepants (which belongs to Nickelodeon actually) and MTV has unfortunately become a pay-TV channel.
    I always liked MTV and Viva a lot but now their actual format seems to disappear slowly. About seven years ago we had four popular music channels which also showed just music and now they are substracted to one which is just partly a music channel.

11. xnekocat on November 23, 2012 at 6:52 am

12. svstels on November 22, 2012 at 5:25 am

I’ve got the point, Mike! Check out Spread Vibes new track on youtube! :D

13. jagta on November 22, 2012 at 2:20 am

They just want to make more money as you said. Sad but true. You need to look for a connection just to watch those videos on you tube. What if I’m living on a remote island were tv is the only thing I have access through the outside world? Sad but true.

14. skuzzybono on November 21, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I was born in 79..I remember when Mtv use to go off air at night..they weren’t a 24 hour channel yet in the 80′s.. Btw, here’s my newest video..even if Mtv still played music videos..I still don’t think they’d play this one.. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCD3B7A6fVk

15. cleopatrashinoda on November 19, 2012 at 9:59 pm

OH, and I meant our opponents to good from other dynasties offered us a life we didn’t want- not Dakota and Ellie. <3

I love you, and I know you care.

You're my captain monkey. Keep the Jews from making you guys look like red ass baboons. I'm your first mate…

I love you, Michael…Tabitha

16. cleopatrashinoda on November 19, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Ellie Goulding is awesome. She knew Dakota Fanning in past lives- when we were on the other side, they offered us a life if we would be away from our parents. We didn’t take it… Maybe we should have. That’s stupid to say, because why would we give up our parents if we have everything and them and they are just playing hardball! Look what they have done! Now the lot of them are dead, and the rest are either pale pagan poop eaters and thier toadstool buddies or crack smokers trying to um, catch up to being as good as that.

We have to put on our boots and get out of the muck. I love you, Mikey! <3

That was cheesecloth, not sheets… ok, got it. LOL :)

17. cleopatrashinoda on November 19, 2012 at 9:49 pm

don’t laugh at me, haha, that was silly, brb…

18. eliseaturtlefrommars on November 19, 2012 at 9:43 am

dude, u need to get on Ustream again with chaz C: just sayin C:

19. cleopatrashinoda on November 19, 2012 at 8:52 am

I meant, “Jewish”. I’m sick because all of the food is tainted, not because I’m doing some wierd drugs or something. I passed an orange grove on my way to Washington and all the oranges were falling off of the trees and nobody cared- but judging by the lemon I broke open with the possessed insides, I surmize there are good reasons for not harvesting the oranges I saw. Why waste time to plant the food, have groves, when all you are going to do is pass rape informational vibrations into them? The people in America are sick. This was the worst possible outcome to me giving away my power at 15. Benji Madden, there is no excuse. Mike, I love you. Stay pure, find me.

20. cleopatrashinoda on November 18, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Hi, sweetie… I’m really sick. I need to get to food. There is no food around me and I’m sick. I love you. I can’t wait to eat with you. Bamboo sounds really good. I hope you can gain some normal weight and come and find me. I’m losing crazy weight. Every time I fall asleep, even if I’m in a hotel, people blow my chi and I wake up feeling disoriented and I have trouble with direction. We would have been together by now. I love you. Something Jesish is being debated. I’m not sure what it is, but it has to do with a lot of rape and incest and cover stories and fat people. I love you. I just want good for the world and it’s people. <3 Tabi <3

21. xnekocat on November 18, 2012 at 4:00 pm

love mtv and riri

22. xnekocat on November 18, 2012 at 1:59 pm

23. or3h on November 18, 2012 at 10:01 am

MTV stopped playing music videos because of LPTV.

24. adiek84 on November 18, 2012 at 4:46 am

Reblogged this on Linkin Park Fan Corner and commented:
    I never really saw the connection between file sharing and MTV not playing videos anymore. Here in Germany I have 3 music channels with 2 pretty much only playing videos, which is sufficient to distract me during ad breaks.
    All in all, I don’t watch music videos that often anymore and being born in 1984 watching music videos took up a lot of free time when growing up. Of course, I still want to check out the video of a song to see how the artist visualized it, but usually one time is enough for me. As long as Spotify doesn’t replace their music catalogue with audio books, I’m fine ;-D. I prefer imagining my own visualization when listening to music – a great way to replace the real and unscripted reality TV in my mind XD

25. linkinoda on November 18, 2012 at 3:59 am

you’re right mike where the television of the 80′s that was my generation are precisely of ’81 is missing to me that kind of tv trl even in Italy we see more now that they sometimes watch tv but sometimes it is not as once that is that television was going to see that they have a child at sixteen then jersy shows and other things that in our times there and then who cares if there is you tube I prefer to watch a video repeated

26. arlieburak on November 18, 2012 at 3:32 am

Yeah, it probably has nothing to do with brainwashing.

27. NephthysPhoenix on November 17, 2012 at 11:23 pm

and I know you said make a playlist or something, but just throwing it out there that spotify would be the best option for all the people who grew up listening to 90s music and early 2000s.

28. NephthysPhoenix on November 17, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Oh, and I am not done yet. Yes, I don’t watch MTV anymore, because I hate how it become, but like the video said: it’s no longer about my generation of shows. Same also goes for Cartoon Network and Nickelodeon as stated before. Also, I wasn’t even allowed to watch MTV in my household. I had to do it in Secret, so when I got a chance to watch Eve 6 and Jamirouquai I took it. HAH! But Mike you also forgot that people can make a spotify playlist and just listen to the songs too instead of watching the videos. That’s why mine has over 600+ to listen to. MANY from the early 90s. As for shows Yes I am happy that some came back like 90s on Teen Nick and Toonami on AS. That makes me VERY happy.

29. dcl1982 on November 17, 2012 at 11:18 pm

Enlightening blog post today. I’m 29 and miss the old MTV…

30. NephthysPhoenix on November 17, 2012 at 11:09 pm

This is totally true and I was born in 1986. I grew up listening to lots of these shows like the Real World, TRL, and watching the morning videos, but then I look at my age now, and I am 26 years old I wonder what happened? I don’t see videos by some of my artists like Third Eye Blind, Nsync, BSBs, etc because the generation after me is different. The same can be said about cartoons and not just music. I grew up with Toonami, OLD Dragonball Z, Sailor Moon, Powerpuff girls, doug, etc etc etc. Now a days I look back and wonder where did all the good stuff go? Sure Toonami is brought back because there was a high demand for it. But just like the music buy the VHS/DVDs. I wish I had more space.

31. bndctsgmlng on November 17, 2012 at 10:27 pm

Reblogged this on shadowexplorer and commented:
    because our golden generation at 90s would never been happen again..

32. shellbelle1980 on November 17, 2012 at 9:45 pm

My husband and I have talked about this not too long ago when we did have cable. Yeah, we both work and granted, now when we are home and awake, the shows that are on are not the shows we would watch. We would want to watch music videos. There have been a lot of TV shifts in the last 12-13 years. My husband does watch youtube videos, and we both have DVDs of bands we like that has their music videos. Now it’s just a matter of finding the avenues of watching selected videos we like. I am looking forward to a LP DVD music video compilation. But for now, I will go to youtube to watch them!

33. cincybmxlpfreak on November 17, 2012 at 9:24 pm

Hell yeah! Mike Shinoda, keeping it real and displaying the facts. Born in 1990, I definitely was an MTV kid. I loved Beavis & Butt-head’s comical commentary on music videos of that time, I loved TRL and seeing what was popular in music at the time and learning about the artists, but I also liked MTV’s Spring Break that gave those that couldn’t go to concerts a look as to what it’s like to see a show live and the gameshows based around music trivia and knowledge (like Say What? Karaoke). I will always remember the MTV of the ’90s, but I just wish that more of their shows today did involve music themes (because Idk what being 16 and pregnant or DTF has to do with Music Television).

34. Alexandra Nofi on November 17, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I have needed to write something non-political on my blog all week, and this topic gave me the opportunity to do so. My response: http://alexandranofi.wordpress.com/2012/11/18/why-doesnt-mtv-play-music-anymore/

It’s a positive response by the way.

35. niru013 on November 17, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Ok my good friend, so “in your face” for me, I’m one of those complaining about how MTV has changed, but defending changes in LP :)The truth hurts, and the world as we knew it(insert dramatic music)already does not exist..but couldn’t they do a few shows devoted to good music…it used to be the best way to know new music and performers. YouTube is great if you know what you are looking for, it’s harder to get new stuff with quality, and the loading
    The former MTV was what bonded us together before the internet(I’m from South America)but I still see it,has some good shows and tedious too, unfortunately the last ones win
    Come on, I’m sure that you also miss it…admit it Shinoda!!!

36. davjola on November 17, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I chose not to watch it anymore and the “problem” is solved! Who were born before 1990 knows what MTV was for us but as you say hey have to survive so this is the point when our roads split! We’re lucky enough to have Youtube and band/artist websites to listen and see the music we love.

37. YoMarquesLP on November 17, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Totally agree with this, great blog post, Mike!
    Also, thank you guys for an amazing LPU12, already renewed and everything looks awesome :)

38. meredithelaine on November 17, 2012 at 4:06 pm

I was introduced to MTV at age 6 in 1981. One day, the cable TV channel lineup changed, and the channel that was once Nickelodeon was now showing little musical movies! To this day, some of my friends claim this is when my ADD started, and why my attention span only lasts about 3 1/2 minutes. Sure, I definitely pine for ye olde days of “music” on MTV. But further down my cable channel line up (of over 900 channels, geez), I get MTV2, MTVHits, MTVJams, MTVU and MTVTres, which actually play videos, so at least there’s that. Of course, some of MTVU’s definitions of “music” are questionable at best, but that’s another story for another day.

39. ellzworth on November 17, 2012 at 4:04 pm

This is a great topic of discussion and it’s always an interesting one for me. I grew up in the 80′s and grew up in Hollywood without Cable TV. I was aware of MTV but got the majority of my music from radio stations, the Warehouse, Tower Records and friends. I can also say that where I grew up was different than most people in other cities, I had access to amazing venues in my town, The Roxy, The Whiskey, The Key Club, and Florentine Gardens. You pretty much show up on a school night and pretty much check-out whoever was performing. The Underground hip-hop scene out here was probably the one scene I was fortunate enough to be a part of. MTV? Not for me. Good post Mike.

40. davjola on November 17, 2012 at 3:56 pm

My name is Davjola Ndoja and I’m a 28 years old girl from Tirana, Albania. I’m your fan since I was 15. All these years my love, admiration and respect for you guys has only grown up. On July 1, 2011 I have started a Petition to bring you in Albania (https://www.facebook.com/groups/linkinparkalbania/)and now we are more than 6.100 fans. We have done several Parties, Street Teams, Street Art and we even traveled more than 2.000 km by bus to go and see you in Romania. Please Mike! I know I have little chances for you even to read this but, I’ve written to Jim too trying to have an answer please I’m so serious with this! Come in Albania!

41. edflinkinp on November 17, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Yeah, Shayadams, it does bring you some memories! I remember waiting for One Step Closer or Crawling like at 5 or 6 am so I could record them on VHS, in a segment called Videosomnia in MTV latin america. It kinda introduced me to LP as well, back in 2001 or something. Good times. So, thanks for the memories MTV, but I can keep on my own ha.

42. shayadams on November 17, 2012 at 3:42 pm

Reblogged this on A Pug And I and commented:
    I totally get what you’re saying. It was actually MTV that introduced me to you guys.

I grew up in a pretty religious house hold and wasn’t “allowed” to watch MTV. But one day, my parents weren’t home and i turned it on. The instant I did Breaking The Habit was starting on top 40. I just sat there with my mouth wide open in amazement- was love at first site. I set an alarm on my watch to stop whatever I was doing so I could turn MTV back on, JUST to watch BTH. By the end of the day I had memorized every lyric to that song and Linkin Park had gained another LP soldier. ;) So, I really have MTV to thank for that. And even though they air some undesirable shows, I will always cherish the very first moment i ever heard you guys.

43. kathyxx on November 17, 2012 at 3:39 pm

MTV should change their name or something then.

You pretty much described why TV tends to gravitate toward the lowest common denominator, though I don’t agree with that is the way it should be. What you just described is why those TV news networks like Fox news have turned into entertainment rather than news. It’s turned into telling people what they want to hear rather then what they need to. Anything smart, unique, or original is dumbed down for mass appeal. The best shows get cancelled. I await the day the Internet kills cable, provided that cable doesnt lobby them to destruction.

44. midmitriy on November 17, 2012 at 3:35 pm

Yeeeah, brilliantly written. That’s right. Generations…

45. edflinkinp on November 17, 2012 at 3:34 pm

I so freaking know you catched that video on the LPA, as Mark posted.. You little stalker, lol.. No, just kidding, if that was the case, good to see you checking on the community, couldn’t expect less from you.

And as for the music videos. I couldn’t be bothered about whether MTV plays the videos or not. I do exactly that, I download/search them and watch what I want, which in most cases, it’s Linkin Park.

BTW congrats on being almost at 10 million views on CASTLE OF GLASS, it won’t be long before it hits that landmark.

Cheers from Venezuela.
    Andreina

46. iamtherequiem on November 17, 2012 at 3:31 pm

And changing the subject, I just twitted you this: #LPU12 IS AWESOME!”Debris” just killed me, Mike!So great to hear how you progress! I love you, guys!. Just FYI. “Debris” came out of the bottom of your heart, doesn’ it?

47. iamtherequiem on November 17, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Yeah, that’s right. Now, I wonder how it will be in like… 30 years.