SRS: My Secret In Haiti

January 15, 2013

I’ve been keeping a secret.

My secret is not something shocking, it’s not about music, and it’s not anything that would make an exciting gossip column.  And the people who are impacted by this secret–the people who benefit from what I’m about to tell you–may never really know how it happened, because they do not have internet, may not have electricity, and almost certainly have never heard of Linkin Park.

I have a childhood friend from California named Andrew, who works for a non-profit, doing things like getting medical supplies to refugees after natural disasters.  He had been going back and forth regularly between the US and Haiti.  A little over a year ago, during one of his stops at home, I had him over for dinner.  We talked about what was going on, and as he recounted the complex and troubling scenario he saw on his trips, he revealed an unexpected idea.  He was considering starting a business in Haiti.

Andrew told me how, on every visit to the country, he was shocked at the mountains of plastic trash piling up in streets, waterways, and beaches.  He showed me pictures.  It was everywhere.  He told me that they didn’t have a recycling program to clean it up.  So he wanted to start one.

PAP Trash

At first, we imagined it as a non-profit.  But if it was set up that way, the donation money might get tight or run out, and the program would have to stop.  So I suggested that, if it was set up for-profit, it could not only be more sustainable, but could also create a sense of pride for the workers.  Andrew had been thinking the same.  By the end of the conversation, I decided I was willing to take the risk with him.  After all, even if the business failed and the money we put in was lost, at least we would have cleaned a bunch of plastic off the streets.

Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.39.08 AM

The company we created is called Sustainable Recycling Solutions, or SRS.  It is not a charity.  SRS is a business based in Haiti, run and operated by Haitian workers.  One of the co-owners of SRS is a Haitian gentleman named Pino, who also sells cheap, clean water all over Haiti in little plastic packets.  He expressed his concern that his plastic product is creating a lot of waste, and he wanted to do something to offset it.  So he joined us.

At this point, one might ask, “with all the other problems facing Haiti, why focus on recycling?”  Their cholera outbreak that began after the earthquake has now been upgraded to “endemic” status, which is one level away from “as bad as it gets.”  More than half the country can’t read.  The earthquake has left people displaced in tent camps all over Port Au Prince and surrounding areas.  And most shocking of all, Haiti has a 75% unemployment rate.  How will recycling fix anything that really matters?

To answer that, let me first say: I have not spoken publicly about SRS for a number of reasons.  First, because in the beginning, SRS was absolutely nothing but a dirt lot, with no electricity or water.  Second, because Linkin Park is relatively unknown in Haiti, so there would be no substantial benefit from a public endorsement of mine in the early stages.  And third, because there was a seemingly substantial chance it would fail.

Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.34.59 AM

SRS has been operating for over a year now.  And as it turns out, collecting plastic fights all the problems listed above.  SRS is paying people for cleaning up their neighborhoods and not littering.  The streets are starting to visibly change.  With enough trash removal, the water will be cleaner, promoting better hygiene and fighting cholera.  The people are learning the social and environmental benefits of recycling and sustainability.  And most importantly, people who can’t read and limited job experience now have a new opportunity to make money and provide for their families.

Screen Shot 2013-01-15 at 8.35.58 AM

This week, in the wake of Hurricane Sandy, and on the three-year anniversary of the earthquake in Haiti, I’m happy to tell you that SRS has cleaned over 3.5 million pounds of plastic (PET and HDPE) off the streets in Port Au Prince and surrounding cities.  We employ 30 people and do business with roughly 4000 regular collectors.  Savvy plastic collectors have even banded together on their own–separate from SRS–and created mini businesses underneath ours, driving collection routes and bringing plastic from cities further away.  And we have created a sustainable, profitable solution that will clean up the streets, help fight disease, and put people to work in a country where this help is most in need, and very well-deserved.  Most important of all, I have seen the powerful character of the people there–people who work hard and share a wonderful entrepreneurial spirit.

I look forward to occasionally sharing my experiences with SRS here.  If you feel inspired to leave a positive message for the folks in Haiti, feel free to do so in the comments section below.

1. robann on September 13, 2013 at 6:25 am

congratulations! beautiful secret …
    this is a really , really good work!
    thank you for your investment in this world …
    Courage and good luck for the folks Haiti and you.

2. ristinw on July 13, 2013 at 12:40 am

So happy to hear that you and your friend’s business is successful in the first year! The kindness and all the effort you guys have done for Haiti are very important and mean a lot to a lot of people.

Mike, please persevere in this business (even if the business ins’t making big profit) because many people and families are counting on this job.

Kindness does to others, will simply going back to the giver. :D
    YOU HAVE A BEAUTIFUL SOUL! I LOVE YOU!

3. cabledog19 on June 30, 2013 at 7:03 pm

I was just in Haiti last week with a group called “love feeds our world” to help start a feeding program in Macombe. The recycling movement is definitely making a difference. Areas are looking much cleaner as you pass through Port au Prince. Thank you and God bless you for taking action. You only fail if you don’t try.

4. doggplant on June 13, 2013 at 3:40 pm

I’m putting this in my opinion piece about good celebrity role models :)

5. apaw93 on June 5, 2013 at 10:53 am

Wow mike. It’s so cool to see the wonderful things you keep doing for this world. May God watch over you and help you in your journey for making the world a better place.

6. tatyanajuss on March 31, 2013 at 12:20 am

Mike,
    you done that took a chance on the move! It is very good that you do not care about that. I hope people will respond to your business. Haitian, respond and support them!

7. Sandi on March 27, 2013 at 1:16 am

Saw this on reddit today-reminded me of the SRS project and your comments on its scalability.

8. irvinlp on March 20, 2013 at 11:06 pm

Mike. You are a great man and every project at the beginning requires lots of risk. However, you have made the best out of this idea with your friend to bring benefits to the people in Haiti and of course, to help save the environment. Best of luck.

Irvin (Mexico)

9. ftzm on March 19, 2013 at 12:03 am

I am Adnan from Bangladesh.After knowing ur activities i am really surprised!Not only in music sense now i have able to know as a human being how great u are man! Seriously!U really inspired me to do something for my own country too.In my Country there have lots of pollution problems!But u know how we are!Always love to say the problem but never want to do anything.But after reading this i am planning to do something like that.Hope u will not mind :p ! I will let you know about our progress! Nd Keep doing good work buddy! M sure god will surly bless you for this work. Thanks!

10. tayamichel on March 3, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I love you so much man. You’re great…. good luck and I hope it goes well!

11. ellabella28 on February 24, 2013 at 10:12 am

Mike, have you and the band ever considered applying your other charities to the Combined Federal Campaign (CFC)? I’m in the Air Force and each year federal employees are approached with the opportunity to donate to charities from a long list of those who’ve applied. Last year I looked for Music For Relief and Power the World but didn’t see anything. It may be a good chance for your “soldier” soldiers to donate some of their paycheck to support your efforts. You guys do great work. Here’s a link for some info: http://www.opm.gov/combined-federal-campaign/. Thanks for all you do, and let me know if you would like some more info.(Great show in Vegas!) -Ella

12. djdomigringa0630 on February 23, 2013 at 12:35 pm

I think the idea of helping those in a country that really need the help is great, its all about the cycle of bouncing ideas and coming together for the common good 110%, hands down. Cant wait to hear how it goes!

#PositivityMeetsCreativityThatMeetsSocialUnity

13. tamsynhickey on February 22, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Hi Mike, This is more the thank you for amazing music and wonderful intentions, as I’m sure you hear, LP have helped through some very challenging times from hybrid to living things, my ears & heart have drummed to LP. I managed to see LP live in Auckland as I’ve lived her for a few years for a much better & and safer life. You’ve shed light on the topics the media skim over and forget and it’s refreshing to see it all brought to light so wonderfully. I lived in Zimbabwe for 19 years & I hope one day we’ll share the same light as we continue to fight for what we believe will be freedom and the start of something new, hopefully no longer “under loaded gun”. All the best
    Tamsyn

14. shadowswitness on February 17, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Mike, you are an amazing individual. I applaud you and your friend for the work you have done. I hope that one day I can be apart of something like this. I have been an avid follower of Linkin Park for many years and I appreciate everything you guys have done and continue to do.

15. hardik7 on February 14, 2013 at 11:41 am

This is a remarkable work Mike. It’s really a unique approach to clean the environment.

16. peteryb on February 11, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I’m really happy to see a successful business being supported in Haiti. For the legacy of exclusion the Haitian people have suffered through throughout history, this is phenomenal. I am curious though about whether it would be more beneficial for the company to be a cooperative. Just a thought.

Keep it up!

17. manuluvh on February 11, 2013 at 9:58 am

Wow Mike, this is just awesome. I came in here after a while of not logging in to my blog and I find this secret you had. What can I say that has not been already said? This isn’t just awesome, it’s inspiring. You encourage us to get in the move and start doing good things. I personally feel like I want to go outside and actually try to help things get better. Good luck with SRS, hope it goes great, and my congrats to you, your partners and Haitian workers. Keep going! To get better is one step at a time! Much love

18. danielladeoliveira on February 11, 2013 at 4:21 am

Mike, how are you? Firstly I would like to congratulate you for the amazing job and so helpful! Not only for Haiti, but also worldwide. It would be wonderful if everyone had initiatives like the one you had. I am a kindergarten teacher in the city of Franca-SP-Brazil, and this year will develop children with the recycling theme, my didactic project is called “The Trash turns toy, and we live better” my goal is to convey the children can give a destination to waste produced in the home and that this transformation can be fun! Thanks for being my idol and for inspiring me!

19. cesar2193 on February 10, 2013 at 7:33 pm

Mike, you’re such a wonderful person, i feel very proud of being a fan of you and your band.

20. shivani94 on February 10, 2013 at 8:42 am

You know what?
    It feels amazing to imagine so many smiling faces right now because of all those efforts everyone had been making for Haiti since the last 3 years.
    So thankyou… :)
    You always make us people proud about being fans of LINKIN PARK <3

And, A very Happy Birthday to you.
    Dont yeh dare get older! ;) :p :D
    Stay Blessed Mike :) :)

21. ellzworth on February 10, 2013 at 12:15 am

This is BIG. Nicely done Mister Shinoda. The world is truly blessed to have people like you and Andrew. Thanks for sharing.

22. therealjojie on February 4, 2013 at 5:38 pm

Impressing and so inspiring. You never fail to amaze people not only with music and arts but with your will and courage to help others especially the less fortunate. May the God of righteousness continue to bless you and your family abundantly in return.

23. enj703 on February 3, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I love this. You are truly inspirational.

24. keineahnung84 on February 3, 2013 at 3:22 am

First off: Congrats to you and your friends! I totally agree that it’s good for so many different reasons. Sorry, I just have to ask the following (as I work in the plastics industry too) You said you cleaned the streets from plastic and put away 3,5m pounds HDPE & PET (that’s normally bottle material) so you collected “only” bottles (don’t get me wrong, I really admire what you’re doing there) or are you collecting other plastics too but just not recycling them? (concering plastics you can’t recycle: ever thought of a waste incinerator for local energy supply? ;) )
    Wish you good luck for the future with that project!

25. jenloveslp on January 28, 2013 at 2:13 pm

that is so nice of you and all the other people involved, is good to hear that there are people that care and try to help a country that really needs it :)

26. lofj2000 on January 27, 2013 at 4:45 pm

Its always refreshing to see artists give back to the community. As an artist myself I truly look up to you guys. If I ever make it as far as these gentlemen have come, I’d want to be just like Mike and the rest of the Linkin Park crew. Much love

27. wjmccardle on January 26, 2013 at 1:10 am

Mike, this is wonderful and inspiring. You might be interested in checking out the relief work of a photographer by the name of Jeremy Cowart. He and his wife Shannon have done extensive relief work in Haiti (in fact they are currently in the process of adopting two children from Haiti). Jeremy uses art and photography to promote education amongst the youth of Haiti. One recent event I particularly enjoyed learning about was how he set up screens where he would sit with someone, more often than not a person who did not speak the same language, but he would ask questions such as, “what would you like to be when you grow up?” and using a stylus, the child would draw it on the screen.

28. zafarjabbarov on January 25, 2013 at 8:58 am

You r awesome, Mike! Your job very impressed me and inspired a lot. I think recycling is big problem, so it’s very kind of you that you think about people who need any help. You set an example to other people! Good luck for the future. You are the best!

29. 路人甲 on January 24, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Mike I’m feeling so suicidal I can’t decide whether I should give up the thought. So i guess it’ll be a good idea to search for some signal. Like here. Will you answer me? Just one reply? So I may feel like connected again?

30. xnekocat on January 23, 2013 at 10:22 am

31. 1oo71 on January 22, 2013 at 6:56 pm

Wow, Mike. I’m seriously impressed and inspired. You’re my role model. Even if your particular business fails, you and your Andrew pioneered the way for a recycling revolution. I sincerely wish you succeed. Maybe once your model’s tried and tested, you can bring it to other countries who need the same thing. All the best. Please keep us updated on it! This is an awesome cause. It would be cool if you could turn the plastic into something productive, too. I mean, I know recycling already recycles, but.. “the purpose of welfare is to eliminate the need for itself.” I LOVE YOU.

32. soldierdhany on January 22, 2013 at 9:18 am

very beautiful and your work I support your decision not to say anything in public, and for the victims in Haiti I wish everything right for them and that they can rebuild.

33. gal67 on January 20, 2013 at 6:29 am

You are the kind of the people that make others do something with their lifes intead of doing nothing.
    thanks for all your efforts recycling is an important thing everyone need to know it! you and of course Linkin park are the most amazing people on earth!

34. lilianahillinger on January 19, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Realmente el mundo y sobretodo las personas en Haiti admiramos su valor,por esto soy fieladmiradora de Linkin Park a demas de ser una super banda hacen cosas realmente admirables,exitos en sus labores y ojala pueda ayudarles tambien de alguna forma.

35. jonechelon on January 19, 2013 at 2:04 pm

36. flaviafolchito on January 19, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Really a very important decision, how many benefits created … this is fantastic!! Thanks for this initiative.Good luck!!One more reason to love your job :)

37. The Nameless One on January 19, 2013 at 9:01 am

This is a very good job and I would like to see you sharing more on it mike. I feel recycling is still highly overlooked by people despite all the ‘ecological/environmental concern’ talks and people neglect its importance.

38. alfy27 on January 19, 2013 at 3:52 am

This is wonderful! And I think it’s really important what you do. I wish God bless you in everything!

39. domini1250 on January 18, 2013 at 12:10 pm

Thats fantastic! Hope you’ll be succesful with it! Such people like you are angels.

40. elisalp on January 18, 2013 at 8:45 am

you’ve done a fantastic job … I hope that you succeed in your goal! You’re awesome, good luck!

41. lp13413 on January 17, 2013 at 10:57 am

That’s incredible. It’s amazing how much impact a simple idea can do to a country that really deserves all the help they can get. If more people and organizations are willing to put forth the efforts that you, Linkin Park and Music For Relief do with Haiti, elsewhere on this planet, then we can really Power The World to a brighter, cleaner future.

42. mahshidshinoda on January 17, 2013 at 12:58 am

thank u mike.you are really angel(michael)
    may god give u ever more reward in this life and the next world for this great work!

43. morganatenebre on January 16, 2013 at 11:05 pm

It doesn’t matter how much you don’t like to hear that, but I have to repeat a thousand times if were necessary: MIKE, YOU ARE REALLY AWESOME!!!
    I can’t express in words how amazed I feel as I meet a bit more about you. Don’t you are an angel from the Heaven? Cause the name you already has!!!

44. alondrar22 on January 16, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Wow. Just wow.
    It’s hard to believe that an idea like this can make a big difference.
    I’m really glad that this project is going very well.
    It makes me think of what people are capable of doing, it’s just really amazing.
    Thanks for making a difference,i really admire the things you do.
    I hope this goes even further & i wish you guys the best of luck.

45. gatsie on January 16, 2013 at 5:42 pm

It’s awesome how you guys took the dirt and changed it into an opportunity to give these people another chance and hope for a better future. Thanks for letting it out in the open :)

46. shayadams on January 16, 2013 at 11:37 am

Reblogged this on A Pug And I.

47. cincybmxlpfreak on January 16, 2013 at 11:36 am

Wow! That’s incredible! Congrats to you, your business partners, and the people of Haiti. Everyone deserves a clean and healthy place to live, free from disease and full of self-pride. I hope that your business continues to open doors for the people of Haiti and that they will be able to recover from the endemic and begin to grow once again. Much love to you all. <3

48. volk on January 16, 2013 at 10:41 am

I’m happy for all of you, for every single person who puts his mind and hands to this recycling program, for everyone who has picked up at least one plastic bottle and thrown it in the trash for recycling, for those who are able to walk along the clean streets, learn to read, drink clean water and to get the workplace to ensure a better life for their families!
    All my congratulations, my respect, proud hugs and low bow for this little secret with big meaning! :)

49. farahneja on January 16, 2013 at 8:31 am

Hi Mike, I saw your post on twitter. My name is Farah Jane and I’m from Haiti, actually I live there. I wanted to say a big thank you for this work because now, you don’t find plastic garbage in the street anymore. We are very lucky to have people like you helping us. Your article touched me deeply because I know that there are some people who still want to help the Haitian people. With SRS, you’re helping us cleaning our country and you create jobs. I also am a big fan of the Linkin Park for years now. Once again Thanks to all of you for giving us hope and courage. Thank you for fighting with us.

50. Xenith on January 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

And here is me running my own digital company feeling content… I have to say Mike its bloody inspiring reading how your friend has not only grabbed the opportunity to make something from nothing, but has also done so in such a way it benefits so many.

Just wow… Thats really hit me and has me thinking about how I can potentially do the same.

51. whatsername72 on January 16, 2013 at 7:27 am

Reblogged this on My Heart On A Noose.

52. whatsername72 on January 16, 2013 at 7:26 am

Only one word: Heroes.

53. Dirty Fee on January 16, 2013 at 7:19 am

Reblogged this on dirtyfee and commented:
    It’s a great way to donate, clean the streets, create jobs, not like some bullsh*t donations in our country. The recently act from our system was bringing used clothes and cash to the Western North area, which involved some directors and high positions in our system, and they paid some ridiculous money for that trip which was 100 times of the donations. “Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and you feed him for a lifetime”. To Haiti, I can’t imagine the disaster that happened, but I saw some photos in the Video “Not alone” of Linkin Park, and I understood the lives of people there after the incident, and at first, donations from people around the world were necessary, and to build up the country again, we need some acts juz like SRS. You did a great job there, Mike. This world needs some hands like yours!

54. 路人甲 on January 16, 2013 at 6:57 am

Now I understand what CHANGE and WORK TOGETHER is.

55. 路人甲 on January 16, 2013 at 6:56 am

Reblogged this on Orion de Cheetah and commented:
    Theres always some new things to learn from and get inspired by Mike Shinoda.

56. dentokram on January 16, 2013 at 6:41 am

You make the world proud of you Mike. You’re the man. I wish all the best to all your future plans for the world. Don’t stop helping.

57. mayreenshinoda on January 16, 2013 at 4:49 am

58. Linkin Park Bulgaria on January 16, 2013 at 4:05 am

Proud of you guys! I read every single word with huge interest, thank you for sharing this with us!
    I wish there was a way for fans to join this, personally, I would love to help.
    Anyway, keep up the good work and keep making us proud! :)

59. mircealais on January 16, 2013 at 4:03 am

Hi Mike, great initiative. If everyone does this, the world will be better and people do not suffer from pollution and lack of clean water! :)

60. Linkin Park Bulgaria on January 16, 2013 at 4:01 am

Reblogged this on Wisdom, Justice, Linkin Park.

61. lisantosdelgado on January 15, 2013 at 11:36 pm

The best things sometimes come from the small ones, the simple ones…
    This is a huge project for all the good it’s bringing into people’s lifes!
    Congratulations and all the best for you and this project!

62. argol8489 on January 15, 2013 at 10:34 pm

Recycling is a key to progress anywhere in the world. If each of us to take consiencia the great impact of the resiclaje in our community, we would get great benefits in the short and long plazon in every place where we implement our actions.
    I sincerely hope that “SRS” remains helping people for a long time. That his alcanse arrives to the remotest corners of Haiti.
    Good things always prosper.
    In truth your actions are a boost and example for many of us, are just wonderful.
    May all your plans and dreams come true.

63. dhanydena on January 15, 2013 at 8:45 pm

Indonesia have the same way with you guy’s… But it is not a company. The poor people make this being their job. they collected the trash / plastic from door to door. and then they sell to the company or someone who need it for making the recycle stuff like bottle, bag ect. but unfortunately, trash still everywhere, I hope in Haiti.. if it is work,, the people can keep they self-awareness to keep cleaning. Good Luck!!

64. mayreenshinoda on January 15, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Hey Mike!
    Its good to know we are not alone in this world, there’s always someone up to help those who need help.
    I think recycling helps the world, and the “living things” on it, we get the positive changes as you said street getting clean, also water, better hygiene, people learning the benefits of it and more jobs for people who realy needs it, I see it as a “chain action” (one good thing well done leads to another great thing).
    We realy need more people like you guys. The world can be a better place and you are starting the change.
    Thanks for sharing it with us, you are an inspiration for us.
    (Sorry for my english btw, lol)
    Greetings from Argentina

65. marvincho57 on January 15, 2013 at 7:01 pm

It doesn’t surprise me at all. You are a remarkable person, and you prove it every single day. Your awesomeness is beyond music boundaries, and I couldn’t admire you more right now.

Good luck with this Mike, thanks for making us feel so proud.

66. leoama12345 on January 15, 2013 at 5:23 pm

Dear Mike!!!!i got to know about this SRS by an article you shared with us on twitter.this is an awesome meritorious work!!!you are a one in a 7.059 billion!wt you guys are doing is hard to explain here!! I can imagine how they feel about this!!It’s a win-win for them!!!in a world where people”CAN’T WAIT TO BURN IT TO THE GROUND” and take advantages in any how, IT ‘S A GREAT RELIEF TO SEE people like you!!thank you for being your self!!you, your family, linkin park!! they are the best examples and role models for today people!!THE EXTRACT I GOT IS
    live your life!!
    and let others live too!!!
    enjoy your life!!
    don’t make suffer people around you!!

67. iamtherequiem on January 15, 2013 at 4:46 pm

Seriously dude, I almost cried. This kind of stuff makes me so emotional. I have no words to say how much I’m proud of you. I feel like I’m helping them myself. I wish I could. But I have no resources for that. Thank you for using all the tools that you have for the good. Just… thank you. I’m sure futures holds a bunch of blessings and happiness for Haiti. And one of the blessings, is you. Thank you.

68. lpgurl on January 15, 2013 at 3:58 pm

Mike, this is awesome! I’m am a huge fan of recycling and I’m so glad Iowa is part of a program. Congrats to the people of Haiti for taking pride in their country even through hard times. Remember u have a friend in every country, you are not alone. <3

69. Olívia Freitas on January 15, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hello, Mike!

First I would like to congratulate you for the wonderful action. I study a lot to Haiti, I’m a journalist from Brazil. I intend to go to the country soon and will be a pleasure to report on the SRS.

70. krika17 on January 15, 2013 at 2:49 pm

Ops, I noticed there is a website already!

71. krika17 on January 15, 2013 at 2:45 pm

Mike, I have always admired you and the Linkin Park guys, and now I admire you even more! It is so wonderful to know that you care about others and really make a difference in the world!

Is there a website we can visit, so that we can follow up on the company’s activities or even contribute?

Keep on doing this amazing job and making us proud! ;)

72. niru013 on January 15, 2013 at 2:27 pm

I think this person say it perfectly…

REGIW
    … a project which gives people the opportunity to protect the environment by means of putting food on their tables, by means of providing them with fair, decent work.

The next generation in Haiti will grow with a very different understanding of a plastic bottle: it is no longer garbage, but a valued good.

I assume that for you it was ‘just’ a small step, full of good will; but for the people in Haiti who are involved in this project, it can be lifesaving – I know what I am talking about. You and your partners have all my respect.

– Regi

73. louise178 on January 15, 2013 at 2:07 pm

This is seriously amazing. You do so much to help everyone in every country. It’s so inspirational. I’m glad this is working out. It’s a great thing to do, and Haiti deserves help with everything it has gone through. Thank you for sharing this!

74. regiw on January 15, 2013 at 2:03 pm

This is a seminal work, Mike. A decade of ‘preaching’, as consequently done as it may be, would NEVER be able achieve the same results as a project which gives people the opportunity to protect the environment by means of putting food on their tables, by means of providing them with fair, decent work.

– Regi

75. morganatenebre on January 15, 2013 at 2:01 pm

Thanks for share your secret with us. We promisse we will never tell! Haha, seriously now, great job boy! The world need most people like you, who really cares with others and helps without look for something it turn. Thank you for inspire people to be better!

76. monicaopperud on January 15, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Reblogged this on monicaopperud.

77. monicaopperud on January 15, 2013 at 1:25 pm

This just made me cry… I wish there were more people like you guys, who genuinely care abt people and “issues” around the world, and who has the guts to take action and make a change for the better. Respect. :-)

78. silver_glepha on January 15, 2013 at 1:07 pm

Reblogged this on Silver Glepha's Thoughts.

79. 3olivez3 on January 15, 2013 at 1:00 pm

God bless, you make me want to get involved somehow!

80. nlopezdearenosa on January 15, 2013 at 12:50 pm

Firstly… I’m sorry ‘CleopatraShinoda’ has chosen this post of all posts to act like that. She’s one fan. Glad everyone else is taking this seriously.

Anyways- thank you, for taking a chance. This, looks amazing. I don’t think I have ever seen such images. I can’t imagine living in a place covered and littered to that extent. Makes me grateful for the care people DO put into keeping places clean.

I wish the best to the program and to the people of Haiti working for clean streets, health and means of supporting their families. And for pride, as you mentioned.

Thanks for sharing this again.

81. YoMarquesLP on January 15, 2013 at 12:12 pm

Thank you so much for starting this project and sharing it with us, Mike. It’s amazing to see all the work you guys do to help those in need and all the positive things that this can bring to the people in Haiti. It’s really inspirational and I have a huge respect for it. Best of luck to you and everyone who’s working on this project, looking forward to hearing more about it soon!

82. conshilp on January 15, 2013 at 11:53 am

Wooow Mike!! You are an incredible human being, I think if all us help as you do in this small country so lacking in everything would not have the extreme poverty.Congratulations for this great project, you are a great example to all. (Sorry if my english is not very good)

83. dcl1982 on January 15, 2013 at 11:52 am

You’re awesome, Mike…

84. davjola on January 15, 2013 at 11:36 am

Mike Shinoda you are such an inspiration! A fantastic human being and totally love you for this! I wish you good luck with SRS and thank you for showing us that we are the ones to fight for this world to be a better place. For us and our children.
    Thank you Mike! Hugs from Albania ♥

85. nesrinagainst on January 15, 2013 at 11:24 am

You are a really good role model, Mike! When I’m older, I want to do such great things like you. Make the world a better place! I hope I will get the same possibility as you to do so. I’m working on it. Greetings from Germany :)

86. dianelp on January 15, 2013 at 11:23 am

I’ve always been impressed and in admiration for all the effort you make. There are many things we don’t know or we don’t want to know… It’s with this kind of person like you who helps get things moving. People need more persons like LP! Thanks Mike for this amazing post. You have all my support for you and all the people of haiti!

87. kellyperris on January 15, 2013 at 11:21 am

What an amazing story! One can hope that this success story can provide inspiration for others as well. We have such a home grown tendency toward greed and selfishness that it doesn’t encourage such genuine help. Thanks for sharing and good luck in this endeavor. Brilliant job!

88. kidohri on January 15, 2013 at 11:18 am

Mike,
    everyone here has said it already: you are awesome for doing things like that. It’s one reason why I admire you so much. There’s a thing I respect the most. It’s how Haiti seems to be YOUR project. You (via MFR for example) didn’t only give money to those people right after the earthquake as most charities are doing it. they give when something happens and then move on to other problems. You, in contrast to that, have been supporting the people there ever since that tragedy happened, you have been talking about it to keep it in our minds and you’re still doing so. please, don’t ever stop! I wish you all the luck in the world for future projects and for SRS and MFR! -Tina

89. alinakar on January 15, 2013 at 11:00 am

Mike Shinoda will save the world one day. Never stop. Good luck to Haiti.

90. philososo on January 15, 2013 at 10:56 am

That´s a good thing!
    I hope that this will continue for a long time.
    Someone has to start something to get rid of all the problems in Haiti and all over the world, so why don´t start with recycling?
    Mike, you are a really good person, good luck with that! It´s a great thing.

91. aninhalp on January 15, 2013 at 10:47 am

I always put you in my prayers! For you and your attitudes live for many years!

92. yulililian on January 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Love you always try different ways to help others!
    We’d like to know if there’s anything could help~

93. yulililian on January 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Love you always try different ways to help others!
    We’d like to know if there’s anything could help~

94. Claudia B. on January 15, 2013 at 10:33 am

Mike… how do you even manage to make me admire you even more? It’s been 12 years and I still get more and more dazzled by your kindness and activism. What is more, it’s really great that you decided to share this. Ever since the earthquake, which also had to happen during my birthday, I felt like the least that I could do, is to show support in any way I can. Be sure to let us know if we could pitch in :)

95. michelle2014 on January 15, 2013 at 10:30 am

Wow! Good job keep up the hard work!

96. parisafakour on January 15, 2013 at 10:20 am

like always you’re doing GREAT :)
    GOD BLESS ALL YOU GUYS, and sure you’ll be successful in this case :)
    GOOD LUUUUUUUUUUCK!

97. romy90 on January 15, 2013 at 10:18 am

Wow! This is an incredible story! I’ve never heard about that problem in Haiti. Thank you for sharing this with us! You’re an amazing person and I respect and thank you for all the great work you’re doing! I was already amazed by the MFR work and support it as i can but this story is amazing! Some people just gave millions to organisations, and sometimes those millions dont even go directly for the Haitians, you just found an other way, again, to help them, even in the shadow, you actually really help them! Well done Mr Shinoda!
    Wish you and all the SRS people the best and a great new year! Good luck!

98. pioneer0 on January 15, 2013 at 10:18 am

That’s exactly what this world needs. People like you, to believe in projects like this. Great idea Andrew, and great that you both actually put some time and effort into this, when you have the opportunity to do so. Thank you! :)

99. reikilee on January 15, 2013 at 10:07 am

You guys found another way to help Haiti out. Again you and your friends whoever they are act to help and to heal this planet. I very often donate to Haiti through Music To Relief, i would love to help more, so far giving money is the only way i found to help. I gave 100 dollars yesterday. Just can’t believe how amazing you ( the rest of LP and your friends) are Mike, you really have got a golden heart, you’re not greedy with money, you mostly work your arse off for people than for yourself. You’re real, don’t change.
    Lee.

100. chilibilly18 on January 15, 2013 at 9:45 am

Anything we can do to help?

101. linkinoda on January 15, 2013 at 9:44 am

this man is sainted i love your hart mike is very very hug hart

102. ves13 on January 15, 2013 at 9:43 am

As it has already been written: you have proved that we can make a difference if we try and actually do something. It’s good to know that in these times of real problems there are still some honest people who want to help others. What you’ve done is admirable and altruistic. Keep spreading the good, Mike! Good luck! Vesna

103. aline4lp on January 15, 2013 at 9:38 am

I’ve already heard about the problem of waste lying around on the streets, causing diseases etc.
    I am so glad that you take this problem seriously and are doing something against it!
    With always trying to help and being so involved in organisations providing aid you, Mike, and the other guys are big rolemodels to me!!!
    I really wish that the people in Haiti don’t only get cleaner streets and a better invironment to live in, but also hope for a better future :)
    Stay strong Haiti!
    -Aline

104. oskarbu on January 15, 2013 at 9:36 am

this is awesome , this is admirable work :)
    “Clean streets & jobs create healthy neighborhoods and families.” :)

105. eyesofamiracle on January 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

What an incredible story. Just goes to show you what could happen when resources are used properly. God bless you Mike and your friend for your sincere efforts. Its wonderful to hear stories like these all the time, very inspiring. God knows we have enough resources to feed, clothe and provide adequate living conditions for all of mankind not to mention cleaning up our communities. Its just a matter of time until it happens. As for the people in Haiti I say this: Your minds, your communities, friends and families are your greatest strengths and assets to bring the changes you wish to see. Working together with love and compassion and appreciation for everything you have will be all you need.

106. ricardobennington on January 15, 2013 at 9:22 am

I’m so surprised of all the effort that you’re doing to improve, at least a little bit, this country’s quality of life. I admire not only your music, I admire all you’re doing to help people. Despite the absolute lack of information about Linkin Park in Haiti, they must know that a very famous band in the world is helping to grow it. Good luck guys!

107. pamelamerce on January 15, 2013 at 9:20 am

Hi I’m impressed, go ahead blessings!!!!!!

108. cathrrin on January 15, 2013 at 9:15 am

Wow.. I didn’t know anything about this problem. All I heard of was the earthquake, the hurricane and the unemployment.
    It’s good that you revealed this too because it will let people see how many other “little things” there still are in Haiti. And through actions like this you can change a lot, but sadly nobody really knows that. So I hope you will attain more results from your project to give these people a little better place to live because everyone deserves this.
    Even though I don’t have such problems I still thank you for this admirable work and thinking about people who don’t have a good living state. I wish all the best for them.

109. lpfan1989 on January 15, 2013 at 9:08 am

What a amazing post! I have so much respect for the great work you are all doing. Wish the best for SRS And the people in Haiti.

Stay strong Haiti, we are with you!

110. rainbowfrite on January 15, 2013 at 9:07 am

This is amazing and so inspiring. I’d expect nothing less.

111. Perky on January 15, 2013 at 9:07 am

Due to the ‘secret’ stance of this post and the comment ‘I have not spoken publicly about SRS for a number of reasons’ I was genuinely intrigued at this point(and was going to ask you) why you decided to finally share news of this project now.

Obviously after reading on you answered that question for me – it’s great to hear about some positive news in light of the problems that the people of Haiti face.

112. anvanoppens on January 15, 2013 at 9:03 am

I’m amazed by this post. We all respect the great work you are doing (Keep up). Thanks for sharing this with us, Mike. I wish the best for SRS And the people in Haiti. Make sure to keep us updated & stay awesome! -An

113. evooba on January 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

I remember a few months ago you mentioned you were working on something about Haiti but wasn’t official yet, I guess we know what it is now! :)
    Let me just say how much I appreciate all the effort you put out there for people in need. This seems like an amazing opportunity for Haiti indeed! Good luck to you and your partners for the future. My mental support is definitely with you and the people of Haiti! :D

114. mirjanalp on January 15, 2013 at 9:02 am

Thank you for being such an insiration and for making this world a better place.

115. NephthysPhoenix on January 15, 2013 at 9:00 am

To the people – I think it’s great that the trash is getting cleared and recycled for the good cause. Keep up the good work! The trash numbers that were picked up is outstanding and hope to see that number increased. Good luck!

On another note I think it’s great you shared this experience with us, and it’s also great that the business has picked up that many trash with Haitian workers getting involved. Also created some jobs I noticed with this company and 3.5 M lbs of trash is a telling of a story in itself. People really do want their country cleaned up and more plausible to live in!

Hope to see the numbers increase by the end of the year eh? Good luck again!

116. gita satar on January 15, 2013 at 8:57 am

You guys are awesome. What an admirable work. Well done. And best of luck for the future!