RIP Chi

April 14, 2013

I just heard that Deftones bassist Chi Cheng just passed away, and wanted to share a short story with you. In the early 2000s, we went out on a European tour opening for Deftones which we jokingly called the “Endless Winter Tour” because we followed cold weather around the globe for what seemed like forever. Spirits were a bit down, because it was always freezing and we kept getting sick.

One afternoon, we had a cover photo shoot for some rock magazine, and Chester was late. We were just starting to be discovered by fans in Europe, and the photographer wasn’t familiar with our band.

As we were waiting for Chester, Chi was walking by, and in his typical warm, friendly style, stopped by to hang out and mess around with us. The photographer, seeing the new person there, and watching us together, assumed the guy must be in the band. “Okay, is everyone here?” I remember him saying.

We looked at each other, laughing, and told the photographer: “yep, this is our singer, Chester.”

We proceeded to do an entire cover photo shoot for the magazine with Chi from Deftones standing way out in front, pretending to be the singer of Linkin Park. Chi was hamming it up, doing exaggerated rock star poses. It was hysterical.

My love and deepest condolences go out to the Deftones family, and hope that fond memories like these can stick in our minds during this tough time.

RIP Chi

1. sherlyferliany on May 20, 2013 at 6:31 am

RIP Chi Cheng, he was awesome.. :)

2. Radyo Plexus on April 21, 2013 at 4:53 am

Reblogged this on xandro+.

3. Gatsie on April 18, 2013 at 9:22 am

Sounds like Chi Cheng was an awesome guy. My condolences, may he rest in peace.

4. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:51 am

I hope the Dunkin’- how it say it have the Donuts- I hope they have some at the train station when I get in. I am all about eating a few good strawberry ones. I sent away for our son’s birth certificate and I have to find a place to have them hold the mail. I have to type a letter to Father Francis at the Catholic Church and ask him to hold my stuff for me. :) I’m sure he will. I love you, Mikey bugs. :)

5. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:47 am

Oh- I don’t have the salad bar. I have DRY PIZONE with meat and no cheese or sauce. For free food, it is sufficient so I won’t have a growly belly and a light head and irritation all day. But see, that is where the doctor’s normalized me into eating sexual slavery tainted food. Oh, it’s not!! Geez… you people are not fit to shovel goat manure. AAAAAAAAAAnd they are not, by the way. They get all enchanted by the Goats dirty butthole and have at it. “This is me in 4th class society”… bugging out in 4th class- thank you for stabilizing me, Mike!

6. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:43 am

But, I don’t love it! I don’t love to have gas! It is a useless human “common body malfunction” that I don’t know why we have it. I didn’t want to shop in the experience category for my next thought- it’s obvious I’m not headed in that direction for the most part… that will all change when I have you. I love you. I do. Sorry my mom took over my mind and I talked about disgustos. I never want to have love for them. I don’t love the disgusto Ramses II money. My lawsuit went pretty well. :) I have to submit a Bill Of Particulars on May 15 then come back for court on July 17th or something. We will be together by then. As it should stand. Maybe way before depending on Gen La.

7. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:33 am

OH- and here is where my “mother” hits me- I didn’t mean that Maryilyn had no class- no, it was all against my mother, I like tried to pick up a conversation, like if we were in person, you would know what I was talking about. :D She is a snake in my soul. You should see the salad bar- it is HAZED with buckaki! They are slurping on the devil’s anal gland secretions and then gauging its worth in my food. Man… you know I don’t cook like that. People, you have to want better for yourselves!

8. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:30 am

She’s chi robbing every chick at work and man… tapping them out like nobody’s business. She’s a brutal cracked out moron. I’m finding out through Marylin Monroe’s pictures how I was cursed. It’s not good. She has no values. Just, who is hot enough to keep her farts warm in bed. (Don’t worry, Mike- princesses train themselves not to fart LOL) But I mean, occasionally I might make you laugh if we eat bad food, I guess. Because it makes me fart. Beans don’t really make you fart. It’s disrespect that makes you fart. It is true. So, I probrobly won’t fart once we are together. I mean, I hope to get clean a little bit before I meet you-if not- oh well:D

9. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:26 am

I just need more psychic attention. Gen la has been channeling my sister Lauren – bad thing- she put Lauren out. Lauren has been traveling around as a child for quite some time now. She knows not what she does, and she empowers people that are not leveled with her. She acts like a slave. My mother (her real mother) is to blame for that. And, she is also related to Blossom, her sister, Trent Reznor, and a girl named Mellissa Payne. They might be a quadruplet too. Oh, husband to be… My birth mother, she used to beat me with a table everyday, and we would argue principals (the fact that I had them) and she would call me names that made no sense and curse me!

10. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:21 am

I get like that, during times of torture. Will I ever be heard? When you are brought down to that small, to that insecure- you realize if the special things in your life are even really there, and Prince Michael, I know you are always with me. I had to take 2 showers this morning…I had to wash the scum away from my soul. I need DETOX!! My goal is to make it to the Kadampa Center in Glen Spey NY for the entire festival. I am going to interrupt to tell Gen La who she is! I have that spiritual authority. She is married to my brother, I am obligated to tell her she is Lazarus’ wife, and I am Siddheartha’s mother! And *fishes* your wife to be! I have to elevate myself… I’m not proper.

11. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:16 am

This is for us: Inside the world, inside your head A manifesto of outside your bed Will it ever be heard, if you are kept in your gaze You are missed in the night, and a truant by your days. How did you go unnoticed, baby How did you soul tiptoe into the hazy Where it never should have touched I want you home now AS clear as I can see My mind’s newly hazy eye weeps to be into your path, to guide you, and to be near you… To love you, to never have you fear you, you beautiful child, a child from our grace, I dream of the day, when we can touch your Italian face. I love you, my prince… I am going to CT, but NY is only a quick train ticket away. :) I leave tonight at 10.

12. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:10 am

And- as a FINAL afterthought on that pattern of relation- there was nothing said that was weird. My husband, he thinks the word BetaToes is awesome. :) I love him. I trashed my Tom’s, they were just dumb shoes. I have 1 pair of boat like shoes, kinda faded, but the bottoms are fine, from WalMart. I have been raped so much, Mike. I have had to eat the low class food- I eat for free at my mom’s restaurant. That is the only food I can stomach, other than occasionally- a loaf (filthy) of bread. Arby’s can supply you with geek eyed workers and sweaty meat, or you can be into bukakki sauce at Pizza Hut. I eat Pizone with no cheese, just meat (don’t tell me!)… OMG…

13. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:06 am

My mother, she has ruined what my life was supposed to be so far. She has patches of worshippers, they are all sinners. Then she extracts from me and my life what she needs to keep afloat in the 4th class societal structure she claims is what life is supposed to be. And- my grandmother- she said that “I don’t believe you- nobody has touched you! Nobdoy has raped you! I will never believe you anymore, you have said it so much.” What, she thinks I’m an idiot? Do you see how crazy my life has been? I am getting to you soon, BetaToes. I don’t know, it doesn’t sound all like, ooshy gooshy but it is what it is! You have beautiful feet that I want to look at! Babes…

14. cleopatrashinoda on April 17, 2013 at 9:02 am

Hi, husband to be. I tried to pick a fight with one of my rapists- I could have taken him, he was the dry crackhead kind- and he *yay* got me kicked out of the room I was being held in. Last night, as you know, as we were talking- I got raped 3 times. I found some wonderful ladies that are going to pay for my bus ticket to Connecticut. It’s through this agency that we have here. I love it! But, I would have loved to have knocked the crap out of this guy- I was thinking like a fighting monkey. I miss Cameron White- Gwen Stephani’s husband. I’m sorry I let so much time go by. I am going to eat food for real in Connecticut. Off topic, but yeah.

15. highlandpark1999 on April 16, 2013 at 9:00 pm

My condolences to Chi Cheng’s family and bandmates Deftones!
    Thanks for sharing the story Mike!

16. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Please- wear flip flops to the party. You are my husband. I want to see you. You are so cool. Someone- they tried to reset me. I am growing wise. Eh! You- your flawless perfect soul that reflects our children’s grace- you are all that I am. My love for you- is never going to (uh, hm. LOL) go away! I can’t wait to nap with our family. You must hold your son, yes, I agree. He needs you so much. Then I go be with Justin, my darling Daughter, Otis, and Johnathan. But, you need some alone time with him. His soul is crying, Michael.

17. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 12:27 pm

AHHHHHHHH!!! You- why do you have to be so cute? Do you have to represent all that is beautiful all at once? It is with happiness that I inform you that you are all that you ever have been. And, I am babbling at your beauty, the thought of being with you- everything, your feet that are going to make me cry… I look, like my son and your sister, Anna. I look, like your Uncle Peter (my dad)… I look, like a previous version of myself (Cleopatra and Aristotle)… I mean, that is what… So, if I look a little scruffy when we first meet, love me (I don’t have to ask…you do.)… I’m not ugly, just like, human looking. You know, the non-child-molesting kind! I need food. I’m in 4th class.

18. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Oh- I found out- Jewel Kilcher is my little sister! (She is married to Jakob Dylan.) My other sister, Lauren- she is married to the guy from Matchbox 20. I have to talk to you about their songs. They are about me. The cars Jakob sang about- they were the guys I dated. Crazy headlight, beat up pickup truck… I love you. I have to go now. (You are my everything and everyone.) So, am I this “Julie?” It’s supposed to be a good thing! Why couldn’t Pietr have married Julie? You, were gorgeous! If we had’ve gone to school together, I would have moved in, and we would be together. You’re nothing to sneeze at now. LOL BTW- I have a cold! I laugh at myself… My husband… I can be me.

19. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm

I don’t sign out properly.

20. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Now, I will go be depressed. Must write outline for lawsuit. Didn’t get papers from Texas that I needed. that is no good. But I need to stick up for myself. People, they make money so cheap. I hate that. It is because Siddy was molested by Ulysses S. Grant (name meaning, “Let’s see Siddheartha grant this wish! I was a Viking scumbag!”) Our son… he is so amazing. I love you, my precious. Tabi

21. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 12:09 pm

Cleopatra, loves Marc! Austin, he said to me one fine day- “Mama- you’re burning hot!!” and he busted out laughing. :D omg, I was blow drying my hair, and my cheeks were red and he came into our room and it was funny. I put my stuff down and I was like, OMG, YOU ARE SO CUTE!!! And I kissed him a bunch of times on the head and cheeks, and if my whole life could be that moment- so be it heaven forever… I love him so much. I should’ve taken him out to eat that one time at Pizza Hut- he wanted to go in to the restaurant- he loves eating out. I made him cry. I hate myself…

22. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:59 am

Oh, I have to mention- I am at a nice library. The librarian, Tom- he is an actual human being. I can’t believe it… A human! There is also another human here- a female, a nice Asian in her 20’s- also, a human! They do not allow possessed energies through! She is a total God, I wonder who her husband is… :D I wonder who his wife is… I feel blessed to be among them. I love you, sweetheart. That was the happiness I wanted to share- I didn’t mean to call and dump on you. OMG, I have done that before! Good to realize that! Honey, I am soooo sorry for all of the strife I have put before you. Poor husband of mine. I love you.

23. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:47 am

I love you, Mike. (“Your Beta- she had to vent. She had something in her gills today. She knows not what it was”) Tabi (Petra) Petra Austine Boccarossa-Shinoda. will not be the name I use all the time, I kinda want our original names back. Not kinda, but that is what I want. I would even settle for going back to the 1700’s… ;) I love you, sweetheart.

24. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:40 am

I have some things to do. If I can even concentrate. I go see the witnesses tonight, though there is an event going on at the Catholic Church, of which I was invited to. I kinda want to go to that more. My cousin, an altar boy, he will be there. He’s so nice. His name is John. But, Jehovah might have some information on Austin, whom I want out of Ramses II’s money. HOSES do not belong in his rear end- just so he can get his father’s air! That is not our religion! Ramses II was evil. We are not.

25. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:38 am

And this, ladies and gents- is me on meltdown. I don’t want to be. I want a nice, beautiful world with no molestation.

26. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:36 am

AND THEY WERE SUPPOSED TO BE TWINS! I HAD TWINS TO CONCIEVE! WHY WOULD ANYONE WANT TO ROB ME OF MY HAPPINESS WITH YOU? AND JUSTIN- HE KEEPS GOING INTO HIS FATHER’S SIDE OF KNOWING MY BIRTH MOTHER- WHO IS BY FAR A SAINT. SHE JUST SMOKES THE DRUGS EVERY DAY- AND DID YOU SEE OUR SON IN THE PICTURE WHERE HE GAVE AWAY A HAMPSTER? HE, OUR SON, HE IS NO DRUG ADDICT- WHY DOES NIKKI MINAGE WANT TO “HIT HIM WITH THE ETHER”? WHY IS OUR SON USING ETHER? WHO IS GIVING HIM ETHER??? I DON’T WANT JUSTIN ON DRUGS! HE WAS BASICALLY CRYING IN THE SONG HE HAD TO DO WITH HER! I LIKED HER VOICE – “A LITTLE BIT” WHEN SHE DID THAT SONG WITH THAT TV DUDE PAUL… THAT’S IT!!

27. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:32 am

Austin- is not gay. Ceasar- he was kinda gay. That’s why I had a baby with him. That, and he had facial features compatible with my own. So, I created the perfect child… so I know he was… he was yours, and I robbed you unknowingly, unwittingly… with every teardrop I cried that night- and I swear I thought that you were my husband- so I told you both that I loved you, and, I also knew that you were her brother (almost)… And Mike- we both know, that I cried myself to sleep that night. I don’t love it. I needed company. So I gave birth to Siddheartha, because my heart was sad, and nobody heard my depth except for our son’s heart.

28. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:28 am

But, anyway, I love you. And that is the truth. I am looking forward to- 1) holding you. 2) picking up all 5 of our children 3) apologizing to Anna 4) remembering myself again 5) picking up all 5 of our children 6) holding you 7) apologizing to Anna 8) being with you. 9) whatever else comes with being in love- I don’t know, I’m captain of the fake people on that one. :D 10) I want you to know that I seriously thought that my anger was correct- that you could never love a gay man trapped in a woman’s body. You are- PERFECT. I feel so stupid. so, you see… I apologize for not knowing how to talk to Aryans.

29. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:23 am

I don’t love what you know what I was going to say,… this is just not getting you here…

30. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:22 am

Obviously, I am sick, Mike. I have to borrow a quarter from someone to pay for my copies for my lawsuit tomorrow. I am not thinking ahead. Angel, please do that for me, I am no good. This is not good. I feel, I have had coffee with my aunt today. It was gross. I am living in the filthiest societal structure I have ever paid rent to.

31. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:20 am

but see- your wife- she has honor. She wanted to kill herself so many times. I told her not to. But it was a psychic conversation, she has to be a “lady”. I’m a 15 year old kid. I’m tired of being chased by snakes.

32. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

I really don’t like him. But see, I saw past that- past all the people that hated him. That is the only time I should have gone the other way. He- he ruined my life. You were not even Christian. You tried to bang your wife’s sister (Christina Aguilara)- you totally forgot about me. I know- I am exaggerating at this point- when I say he has. Every single day he remembers something about me. There is not much to know- other than the fact that you have broken the hearts of so many people and caused so much pain by being a piece of crap. Your wife- was a bit icy, too. It is no good to be ignorant.

33. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:14 am

And Mike- the Boston Marathon- it got bombed because I’m being raped at night. See, me and my husband know this- and it was by 2 of the people that arranged for Jesus’ death. Oh, what a lovely day it IS, Mr. Combs. That toilet brush, complete with my ugly grandmother’s poop- it’s all Benji’s. Why was I born to Judas and Trent Reznor’s mom? Their other sides- they will not be pleased. I was missing for the first 6 years of my life, ostracized for the next 6, moved in with my ignorant Catholic grandmother for the next 8, and then- I’m perpetually homeless. Thank you Benji. Thank you for all that you have done to our family, which you were always a part of.

34. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:08 am

Now- my son, my born, Italian son- I walk- all day- and I get robbed. I, am starting to get privy to how the trashpeople- how they rob! I don’t love it! It is not good! That is insanity! Why you want to rob a girl who makes 5 bucks an hour? You turn your head and won’t look down at me, in all your misunderstood glorius representation of all that is wrong with the way you were raised. So I felt bad for you. Nobody should treat a religious person that way. I have met Benji’s GRANDSON. NO MORE!!!

35. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

I mean that about Good Charlotte. I don’t mean that about Linkin Park.

36. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:03 am

You were supposed to have a Christian rock band. I thought that was what you were going to do- instead, you sing crap. My toilet made more useful sounds than your entire record. My toilet needs an agent. My grandmother, she has crapped in it so much. The word crap- it is on my disgusting list. I never will use it. OMG… Sure, you can rob my toilet. I’ll give you the toiletbrush as a memorabilia piece. You can comb your mom’s hair with it- BEHOLD! Your last name! :p

37. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 11:01 am

I have met Joel’s wife. She is super awesomely cool-and she knows me, and I have to get over my EXTREME shyness. I am crazy insanely shy (because nobody is my family anymore, nobody is my religion…), and you go, and you rob me?!! I make 5 dollars an hour! I wear a free uniform, I get free food- what really did I have- SO MUCH. I always, ALWAYS had a ride home- I was working 3-5 days a week WITHOUT A CAR, working 30 miles away from home- and I was never stranded. Now that’s a story. Take your mamma’s van, and shove it. Tell your ugly mother I said that too. She is trash. I’m not done yet…

38. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 10:57 am

This drives me nuts. Benji, like, handed me to the people that molested me as a baby. (We could have saved the world.) Why? Benji, our lives were already so tragic, and every day was a struggle to keep focused on something other than how depressed and lonely we were- I know, my husband was looking forward to seeing me- he had high hope that all would be well- not just well, but IDEAL. I am not a crack cocaine worshipper. I do not have feathered hair and sell my sins at a register where they sell tainted food of slaves. What the heck was your problem? They told me not to support you, your naysayers. But I did… So many people depended on you for that “chance”…

39. cleopatrashinoda on April 16, 2013 at 10:53 am

Hm. He looked like Ceasar looks like now, only Asian. Hm. I wonder where he fits in our family… I’m sorry someone you wanted to spend more time with has died, sweetheart… that is something that Ceasar would have done, the photo shoot-LOL. Oh, speaking of, family- I love you, honey! <3 There was a book called "Horse Boy" on the podium where they have an Autism Awareness display- so I replaced it with an Autism Awareness book, I forget the title, but it was there also, only not on a book stand. I have the darned book next to me. I hate it, I want to take it to the bathroom and destroy it.

40. thegrandkaidbz on April 15, 2013 at 3:42 pm

R.I.P. Chi

41. parisafakour on April 15, 2013 at 9:12 am

I just can say rest in peace Chi Cheng :(

42. mahshidshinoda on April 15, 2013 at 1:40 am

nice and sad story :( as you said he was a good man.God bless him.deepest condolences to his family

43. lunaticpsyche on April 14, 2013 at 11:52 pm

Reblogged this on LUNATIC PSYCHE.

44. Monica on April 14, 2013 at 11:34 pm

Reblogged this on monicaopperud and commented:
    RIP CHI ♥ LP are blessed to have these wonderful memories and stories to look back on ♥

45. Haustoria on April 14, 2013 at 10:53 pm

Reblogged this on Haustoria.

46. shoegaze4u on April 14, 2013 at 9:51 pm

There is nothing to add!
    Rest in peace, Chi.

47. evooba on April 14, 2013 at 9:34 pm

He was an amazing guy, great friend and talented musician. It’s funny how life takes the opposite direction sometimes. i just cannot believe he is gone after the enormous fight he gave to get passed the accident and the coma. He will be missed for sure.

RIP Chi :(

48. smoshee on April 14, 2013 at 7:19 pm

Condolences… do share the photos with us.
    RIP Chi Cheng.

49. dcl1982 on April 14, 2013 at 7:06 pm

Funny story Mike!

50. Will on April 14, 2013 at 6:16 pm

That was a really nice story, Mike. Thanks for sharing it with us. May he rest in peace.

51. xnekocat on April 14, 2013 at 5:57 pm

52. xnekocat on April 14, 2013 at 5:56 pm

R.I.P Chi and you beatiuful eyes and person

53. deaulfaaudia on April 14, 2013 at 5:22 pm

Wahaha poor Chester!

Idk Chi before :-|

54. Braffschein on April 14, 2013 at 4:26 pm

Such memories actually make it worse, if you think about it. Someone that cool is not here anymore. Because of the car crash.
    Hey, take care?
    RIP

55. elipeca on April 14, 2013 at 3:17 pm

the love that already happened, never changes, that remains in your heart forever ,and that love of music makes this everlasting

56. nlopezdearenosa on April 14, 2013 at 3:01 pm

Thanks for a good laugh in tough times, Mike.

57. jenfung2002 on April 14, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Sad, very sad. RIP Chi Cheng of the Deftones.

58. YoMarquesLP on April 14, 2013 at 2:28 pm

Really sad news :( RIP, Chi.

59. melissachi on April 14, 2013 at 2:25 pm

thanks for the story love both your bands

60. qrplus6 on April 14, 2013 at 2:21 pm

It’s a very sad news.

RIP CHI :(

61. jannipiiin on April 14, 2013 at 2:17 pm

This is so sad, and I’m still shocked..
    Thank you for the wonderful story, Mike. My deepest condolences to his loved ones and much love to all Deftone fans.

R.I.P. Chi

62. archer909 on April 14, 2013 at 2:10 pm

Really sorry to hear this :/ dampened my mood a bit. Thanks for the story, gives us something to remember him by.

63. Cerezo on April 14, 2013 at 1:56 pm

When i was read this, i was listening ‘Iridescent’, I so sad for this. Great story Mike, i really like it ^^ .. My deepest coondolences too, we lost a great people.

I cried & laughed with your story, :)
    Thanks for sharing with us

64. Sandi on April 14, 2013 at 1:51 pm

Thanks for the story!

65. danibarquilia on April 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm

My condolences to Deftones fans, friends and family. This story has to be remembered, he was an amazing guy.

66. chilibilly18 on April 14, 2013 at 1:48 pm

I know this is irrelevant with this post but Mike I would like to read your opinion on “why do bands change their sound adding electric elements on it?” You were on of the first who did that(and in my opinion the best one),then muse,evanescence,paramore, 30 seconds to mars etc. Why do they start following this pattern? I know they want to change BUT is a change only possible adding electric elements (drums etc) ?

67. sabina1702 on April 14, 2013 at 1:44 pm

I don’t know why, but when I was reading this, i cried and laughed. He was a nice man and this story is..amazing, I can’t even imagine how deftones fans feel right now..but yeah, deepest condolences to Chi’s family, I hope everything will be ok.

68. nine84 on April 14, 2013 at 1:42 pm

My sincerest condolences too.
    Great story Mike. I had to laugh and to cry.
    THANKS for sharing

69. Leila on April 14, 2013 at 1:41 pm

RIP Chi Cheng :(

70. NephthysPhoenix on April 14, 2013 at 1:38 pm

LOL, that poor photographer! Why y’all so mean? I bet he wanted to kill you all at the end HAHA.

That’s a nice story :).