In Response to “Rock Music Sucks Now and It’s Depressing”

September 9, 2013

“They say the classics never go outta style, but, they do… they do.  Somehow baby, I never thought we do too…” – Refused, on ”Worms Of The Senses/Faculties Of The Skull”

My name is Mike Shinoda; I’m a songwriter, vocalist, and founding member of the band Linkin Park, and I’m a regular visitor of Pigeons and Planes. When I read the Ernest Baker piece called “Rock Music Sucks Now and It’s Depressing,” I had a few reactions. I sent them to the folks who run the site, and they asked me to share them with you here.

(CLICK HERE FOR TO READ THE REST)

1. φLord Avariceφ / ∞Vampire Lord Mundus Drakona∞ on January 27, 2014 at 9:44 pm

Mike, ima a huge fan, but i gotta agree with some of these guys, you here to post or you gonna answer some of these comments. id take an little bit, even 5 mnutes of each day to reply to the comments, at least the ones on ur latest posts

2. ahirusamabr on January 27, 2014 at 11:56 am

Hey Mike, I lost a friend of mine last year, which used to play some songs with me. I just thought you may would like to hear our cover os Numb. My friend would be really pleased… Sorry about comment in this topic, I just feel like it.

3. gustina05 on January 26, 2014 at 11:48 am

hey can somebody show me where is mike’s response? I can’t find it

4. gquan91 on January 16, 2014 at 9:02 am

I would just like to know your opinion on it, and perhaps some advice on “making it” in this is industry today. The reason I am asking you this is because, that you guys started out without the heap of these “get famous quickly” tv shows and so forth.

I look forward to your reply, whether it be in a year’s time. :)

Cheers
    Geoff

5. gquan91 on January 16, 2014 at 9:01 am

Dear Mike

My name is Geoff, and I am in a rock band called “Five Decade Faint’.

We are from Sydney Australia, and like most local bands around here, we tend to struggle finding gigs and having a good fan base. I believe in my band’s music and that it can change the world, or at least make one individual really think about what we’re trying to say. I am the main songwriter/frontman of the band and I’d like to think we have good material. But it all just comes down to the audience and who will actually like it. I draw a lot of inspiration from you guys at Linkin Park. You guys were pretty much the band that inspired me to become a musician and be in a rock band.

6. xnekocat on December 12, 2013 at 10:38 am

7. xnekocat on December 6, 2013 at 9:43 pm

8. A.I.M. on November 30, 2013 at 2:55 pm

Hey Mike & fans! Check out this remix to “Castle Of Glass” off of “Living Things” I did for fun! Dubstep/Glitch Hop if you fancy such sounds ;) Hope you all enjoy & feedback is appreciated! Really wanting to get this noticed by LP as well, even just for the sake of listening over it once. Up for free download too!!

9. 86hertz on November 29, 2013 at 12:57 am

Lp is highly underrated..such magnificent soundscape,super sensible lyrics and mature theme LP’s albums put forth..yet the grammy’s ignore them..

10. 86hertz on November 28, 2013 at 11:03 am

A thousand suns is one hell of an innovative album. The sounds..complexity and how the whole theme connects like a story makes perfect sense.. Hope 2014 album surprises me even more.. Expecting the wildest of ideas..

11. danielebarquilia on November 24, 2013 at 1:57 pm

Hey Mike. Why you don’t come here anymore?

12. dctuga90 on November 20, 2013 at 6:59 am

Hey guys, check out this remix of Linkin Park & Steve Aoki song. Let me know what you think. I’m running for a contest, if you like it, vote for me ;)

PS: Mike would love if you could say something about this mix! ;)

LP <3

13. Hisu on November 14, 2013 at 5:08 pm

Hi Mike!
    That’s a great post and I like your response – we musicians might tend to like the moll keys over the others but calling it depressing and that it sucks is way too much. For me as an indie producer and composer it doesn’t matter that the mainstream media won’t show us nor play us because there is always plenty of our friends that want to support our efforts.
    I dedicate this song to you Mike as I grew up with your art and it made me who I am today:

14. xnekocat on November 14, 2013 at 4:13 am

15. xnekocat on November 14, 2013 at 2:04 am

Somewhere I Belong

16. 66lili6 on November 10, 2013 at 4:09 am

Hi Mike, I love LP.It´s my life. :) Please come to Slovakia :)

17. LinkinShinoda3 on November 7, 2013 at 5:41 am

Mike: “We’re not a ‘legacy act’ riding out classic hits on tour…playing shows for nostaligic middle-aged crowds.”
    #DL2014: “Saturday night…will be headlined by Linkin Park, who will be playing their multi-platinum debut album ‘Hybrid Theory’ in its entirety as part of their set.”
    I have my tickets – I cannot wait !!! I am ecstatic about hearing Hybrid Theory in its entirety although I would be more than happy to hear ANY of your music as I love it all. But you have to appreciate the irony here, no ?
    See you at Donington next year, man !
    -Nostaligic, middle-aged Linkin Park fan who doesn’t think that all the new LP stuff sucks :-)

18. faris255 on November 6, 2013 at 1:13 am

check this out its so sick mike!

19. wowbagger92 on November 4, 2013 at 2:58 pm

Just wanted to say that I admired Linkin Park’s innovation and self-redefinition since I was a child, always carrying around my Sony Walkman and listening to your CD-s everywhere I could. It was a big part of my childhood and you were my companions while growing up. Still my tradition to buy a new LP CD and listen to it first on the same walkman.
    An important part of you is innovation, but Living Things and Recharged just weren’t that. I loved reanimation, it had passion and gumption, Recharged feels just like a playlist, no input from the band. Anyway listen to this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxXdYiox6QQ
    I and a lot of your fans think it represents LP better than Recharged.

20. fmfan4mindia on November 4, 2013 at 2:18 pm

hi mike!!!! im a fort minor die hard fan 4m india!!!!may be you don’t know but your first album”rising tied” was a huge hit in india!!!!! I REALLY WANT IT SO BAD THAT MY SOUL SOMETIMES REALLY DO CRY:CAN’T GET OUT THIS “CIGARETTE” SONG FROM MY HEAD SINCE 2005 HOW MUCH I TRY:I BEG U BRO,I WANT A NEW FM ALBUM BEFORE I “DIE”.

21. kellbearbaby on October 24, 2013 at 7:30 pm

now my song is off your new stuff powerless because that dose have such meaning in my life. Thank you and i hope you guys can read this and reply i will always be a die hard fan it will just take time to get use to your new music. everyone loved your old music but so many people arnt use to your new stuff we want your hard rock and roll back or edleast a few songs on the new album ROCK ON GUYS

22. kellbearbaby on October 24, 2013 at 7:30 pm

something new it was easy to relate to your music back in the day and your music got me by when my hard times i went and saw you play in 2007 on your project rev with him at sleep train with my mom and my mom was very sick and she still took me because i was such a huge fan and still is to this day im from Sacramento CA and i hope you guys do reply back and one day i hope i can meet you and the hole band one day i really do you guys are still my ideal and what you guys do to help people in life i just wish your music have changed so much with the last stuff you guys are putting out not my fave song is from Somewhere i belong and

23. kellbearbaby on October 24, 2013 at 7:29 pm

Dear Mike
    I know your a very busy guy with the band and what not and your side project but been a die hard fan for years as long as i know i have been sense i was 7 years old and i still am to this day and im 18 years old all i wanna know is why did you guys change your music up so much in the band from hard rock when you guys first came out to now its really different i get that you guys get older and wanna try something knew or wanna stay up with the times and other things as well but is there any way that you guys will start making music how you guys use to be back than i like all your music up to your last album i just stronger dont like this one its

24. djyatta on October 19, 2013 at 12:39 pm

how can I contact you for asking something?

25. ves2m on October 18, 2013 at 10:46 am

…Mean somebody from somewhere heard about you and your music but, about E Baker or his pseudo problem with smell of rock, heard because of you.
    I can’t say anything about music because is not my domain, I’m just a listener with clear preference, but words make me feel as sounds do.
    Is not a critics of you is more a reaction.
    If I saw two like EB disputing one each other means nothing.
    EB disputing one each other means nothing.
    Suppose you are not so proud or vainglorious(exist this word?) Prefer that it be a individual post about rock not a reply to anything.
    It’s to much alive and you are to much implicated to be a reply to an arrogance.

26. ves2m on October 18, 2013 at 10:39 am

Because that long enough time passed from your reply to Rock Music Sucks…some about form not content:
    “I was the same way when I was younger” because you was younger or because you was at the begin? With this put your self to not “younger” anymore, and in your case the music make the age.
    Any way, over 10 years you still can make a song named “grand grand grand papa was a Rolling Stone”
    “Do the math…”paragraph is for those who not think themselves, “active artists like…” fans are fans because know or feel this complexity by default…

27. xnekocat on October 13, 2013 at 8:11 pm

28. dinu2604 on October 5, 2013 at 9:10 pm

dear mike,
    i thnk most of them have heard to QUEEN:We WILL ROCK YOU TRACK
    i loved that track
    but as a linkin park fan i wanted lp to remake this song
    it would be awesome if it is remaked in LINKIN PARK’S Style.

29. ancientoldwoman on September 26, 2013 at 4:42 am

This went out on Twitter this morning. Raises a lot of similar points especially paragraphs 8 and 15. Do they sound familiar ?

@midlandsrocks: Exclusive Interview: KK Downing of Judas Priest talks with Dean Pedley of Midlands Rocks – pls RT

30. pangeranrambee on September 26, 2013 at 4:00 am

Do you want hear a rock songs for Indonesia? They are my favourites band between Linkin Park and Eminem. You can hear them on https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0htpjxqb8o :-)

When you come to Jakarta again Mikes??

31. lofj2000 on September 24, 2013 at 10:51 am

Can’t find your comment and I’d really love to know what you said. Here are my thoughts:
    Nowadays music has broken genre barriers. The sound of a band is left to the listener’s interpretation. There’s a richness to how fresh music can be with a hybrid of influences, sounds, and culture (Hybrid Theory proved). I’ve been a fan of LP from the beginning and still enjoy their music today. What is considered “rock” will always change as the decades pass, and while I favor the rock of the 90s out of nostalgia, as a fellow artist I also understand that its the freshness of new interpretations of what once was that will keep rock alive.

32. ancientoldwoman on September 22, 2013 at 5:23 am

Following on FB / Twiiter is seriously frustrating for older fans. I don’t need to elaborate – you know where I’m coming from. This blog is right up my street – intelligent, thought-provoking articles. You do have fans sitting in the shadows loyally supporting you at every turn but I fear we’re being abandoned in favour of the next generation. In response to the article, I do think that rock music sucks now. Linkin Park categorically do not precisely because you do innovate, collaborate and push the boundaries. Other bands would do well to take note.

33. parisafakour on September 22, 2013 at 2:19 am

WOW! you just did a great job Mike :)

I actually loved this part

“Yet, even with things still strong and growing, we’re not in the real mainstream, the Kanye-Taylor-Gaga mainstream. And we don’t really want to be, as individuals or as a band. Our fans sit in the shadows, like little sleeper cells all over the world, loyally supporting the band at every turn. Pop radio doesn’t play us, and award shows ignore us. We’re not bitter—we actually work hard to keep the delicate balance.”

THANK YOU! IT WAS AWESOME! you guys are not just a rock band to me…
    RESPECT

34. awkwardjewswag on September 19, 2013 at 9:09 pm

If anyone’s interested there is a new remix with Linkin Park, The Weeknd, & Drake!: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKQ6oU6A0I

35. moswarthy on September 14, 2013 at 5:32 pm

Hmm, I looked everywhere for your response… ??? Lol I really want to read it.

36. oxygenjs17 on September 14, 2013 at 11:24 am

oops)

37. oxygenjs17 on September 14, 2013 at 11:23 am

HEY HEY MIIIIKEEEE!!!! English teacher=)))))))
    [img]http://oscarjs17.wordpress.com/2013/09/14/x_3d5d3e50-jpg/[/img]

38. oxygenjs17 on September 13, 2013 at 10:44 am

You are my own special drug Mike, but the roof was blown up by the first two albums, You must return your crazy brain

39. Gordon on September 11, 2013 at 2:47 pm

Dear Mike,

Great thoughts.
    Being a fellow rock musician, I am fascinated with your story. Is it true that you guys were denied 44 times before you were signed by Warner Bros?

Would you consider sharing your thoughts on the most important steps you made before you were signed? I would be indebted to learn your thoughts.

Here is my email if that is more convent: Gordon@GordonAvenue.com

Gordon

40. notsotoughcookies on September 10, 2013 at 4:27 am

An intelligent response. Thank you for posting this. And for continuing to push the envelope with your own music.

41. YoMarquesLP on September 10, 2013 at 2:34 am

Really well written and totally agree with you!

42. mercenary18 on September 9, 2013 at 10:31 pm

43. kathyxx on September 9, 2013 at 8:57 pm

I think you installed the link wrong, Mike.

Anyway, going by the comments section, this writer seemed to be out of the loop anyway. And usually I don’t resort to agreeing with the comments section.

44. Braffschein on September 9, 2013 at 8:11 pm

Oh also, the link doesn’t work! Fix it, please :)

45. Braffschein on September 9, 2013 at 7:48 pm

I suggest you join the conversation in the comments to your article.
    Good thing you posted it here, though.