FIRST LINKIN PARK 2014 STUDIO UPDATE

February 3, 2014

As many of you have already noticed, I’ve been away from my blog / Twitter / Instagram for a while, since we’re pretty deep into the writing and recording process.  I wanted to take a moment to tell you about what’s going on.

As most Linkin Park fans know, the sound of each album is usually quite different from the last.  The new album is no exception.  But as usual, the album’s sound twists and turns as it is created, so any attempt at estimating what it sounds like today would be silly.  The moment I tell you it sounds like “X”, the songs will automatically take a drastic turn and evolve into something different within a week.

But what I can tell you is I’m inspired.  We’re inspired.

The band is trying all kinds of things we haven’t before.  First of all, we’re not in the same studio.  All our previous albums (except MTM) were recorded at the same studio; this album is not being done there.  All our previous albums were done with a producer at the helm; this album has largely been self-produced.  We normally write in a organized and regimented style, recorded into the computer; this album has been the product of a mix of focused experimentation and free form jamming.  We’re even tracking parts to tape instead of going exclusively digital.

I’ve been spending 10-12 hours a day in the studio–jamming, experimenting, writing, recording, re-writing, re-recording…searching for the sound that truly captures where we’re at as a band right now.  Something bold and energetic.  Something with a balance between the chaos and order.

As ever, we’re digging deep to craft the best songs that will set the tone for the next step, that will draw a line between what we’re doing and everything else.

We can’t wait for you to hear it this summer.

1. natashafunny on July 7, 2014 at 4:52 am

Hi, Mike!Recently I listened to’The Hunting Party’,and I can tell that Linkin Park surprised me again.In general,my relations with your music are very long and very sincere…Time goes,I change,you change.And these changes happen synchronously.It’s really magic))Mike,I want to offer you something…Maybe it’s stupid,but I’d like to write a book about Linkin Park…because it’s really close to me.It would be a great honor for me)If you want to communicate with me more – write me on nat87ruc@yandex.ru I have a lot of ideas))I hope you’ll read it and you’ll understand my terrible English)and I hope you’ll answer me)
    Thank you for what you are doing.
    Hugs and greetings from Russia:)

2. thegrandkaidbz on May 7, 2014 at 3:59 pm

Yo Mike check this out!!

3. patrishiamaja on May 6, 2014 at 6:33 am

Hey Mike, I know you’re quite busy right now, but I was wondering whether you use a synthesizer or keyboard while producing music and from what brand. My keyboard gets 12 years old this year and it’s finally time to buy a new one, and ’cause i’d like to start producing music on my own, it would be helpful if you can give me some suggestions what would be best :) Hope you can find the time to answer my question :)

4. milasouza11 on March 19, 2014 at 4:27 pm

i can’t wait for the new album! :))

5. alexxfall on March 16, 2014 at 12:42 pm

Just wanted to say that I was pretty psyched when I heard the band’s new single on the radio. I literally started crying from the amount of excitement I felt from hearing the band’s voice on a whole new level. You guys rock (:

6. mkddostro on March 13, 2014 at 1:57 pm

- Chester’s voice
    when talking about the sound, we can’t deny that Chester’s voice changed over the years, most likely due to coaching and “real” singing that doesn’t harm the voice as much. For that show it’d be amazing if Chester tried if he’s still able to do the raspy stuff (it just sounds better with a powerful instrument sound) and do it just for that one show, it won’t kill his voice.

I’m sure you are working on everything so it’s always as good as you want it to be. These are just some thoughts I wanted to share.

7. mkddostro on March 13, 2014 at 1:56 pm

- sound
    when being all nostalgic and watching old shows (e.g. Milan 2001) there is one thing that bugs me: the sound was more powerful back then. With the band’s evolving sound you always changed the sound of all songs you played live which is great for each and every show but when you play an HT show the sound should be like that, powerful and right in your face. I know it’s probably hard to do that on festivals what you have done in small venues all those years ago but I think today’s tech could be able to do that.

8. mkddostro on March 13, 2014 at 1:55 pm

I didn’t find any way to contact LP with a chance of you actually reading it so I’m posting on your blog now to get this off of my mind.
    Regarding your upcoming Hybrid Theory performance at the Download Festival I’d like to ask for a few things:
    - record and release!
    as a huge fan from 2000 and all that is Hybrid Theory (and before) I’d love to be at the festival but flight tickets and festival tickets are a little too much for poor students ;( you know how life as a student is ;)
    Therefore it’d be the best thing on earth if you recorded that show and released it on DVD/Bluray.

9. berksakalli on March 6, 2014 at 12:34 pm

The new song guilty all the same sound fantastic.
    This kind of new characteristic is kind of new mix of rap and rock.
    But how did you get the idea to work with Rakim and will be there also a collaboration with other people from the “rap world”.

Take care,

Berk

10. zahralp on February 26, 2014 at 7:27 pm

Excited. ugh wish you could block the kpop-comment-person. but I am so happy to hear this album coming out of inspiration and experimentation. I’ve been listening to baths and son lux a lot recently and I’ve realized that the loads of smart layers are what makes me enjoy listening to these bands. I’ve heard keychain background noise to count down noise made on a bus from linking park all with the perfect lyrics. I’m expecting this album to do magic, best of luck ;)

11. xnekocat on February 26, 2014 at 10:13 am

12. xnekocat on February 24, 2014 at 6:32 pm

13. 1oo71 on February 19, 2014 at 7:50 pm

Better be good.

14. nancyjones4 on February 16, 2014 at 7:40 am

I can’t wait for the new album to come out… and so happy that you’re gonna come back to Europe this summer! :) I was totally impressed when I saw your performance live for the first time at Club Nokia in Los Angeles – can’t wait to see you guys again somewhere in Europe! Greetings from Hungary!

15. shivani94 on February 11, 2014 at 5:42 pm

Hey ^_^ Happy Birthday :)
    P.S. Dont grow old :)

16. chazyana on February 11, 2014 at 11:23 am

Hello, Mike! I wish you a very happy birthday. You’re an excellent person so I think humankind has to be proud of you. I send you a true-hearted hug and lots of good wishes. :D

17. aromari on February 11, 2014 at 10:15 am

Hello Mike! Happy birthday from Spain, we have a little present, we did it fondly for you :D

Maria and Aroha.

18. dinu2604 on February 11, 2014 at 4:33 am

happy B’day Mike Shinoda
    U r awesome

19. dinu2604 on February 10, 2014 at 10:38 am

Hey Happy B’Day To My Favourite Keyboardist, Rythm Guitarist, Rapper, Vocalist—–MiKe ShInOdA!!!!!!

20. lwkylky on February 9, 2014 at 1:55 pm

Hi Mike, very excited to see that Linkin Park is still on the verge to inspire and share your unmeasurable creativity. You have played a big influence in my work today, and wanted to show a track off my project I have recently finished up, with the second EP forthcoming. I wish the band the best, thank you!

Some content was stripped by our security filters, but it should be possible for one of your Editors to embed the content for you.

21. sanjaysuthar on February 8, 2014 at 10:58 am

I love you guys so much, I love LP, please come to India. You have a lots of fan here too.

22. sandycoworld on February 8, 2014 at 2:07 am

Reblogged this on SandyCoWorld and commented:
    I love surprise thanks the new album for my birthday will be perfect, I’m sure.

23. timespreebegins on February 5, 2014 at 7:01 pm

Please make the new record sound low tech and minimal, really rebel against what you did on Living Things and A Thousand Suns and remind everyone how to make an epic melody! Breaking The Habit will always be my favourite LP song.

24. timespreebegins on February 5, 2014 at 6:57 pm

I have a good feeling about this.

25. colinreid on February 5, 2014 at 12:46 pm

Bring it on!

26. emmanuelradin on February 5, 2014 at 8:11 am

more metal stuff with the guitars please?? Poor Brad doesn’t get to play heavy riffs so much as before.

27. esusukambing on February 5, 2014 at 1:46 am

yeah,,, i i hope that good than living ting

28. aratrikasaha on February 4, 2014 at 10:06 pm

Reblogged this on AratrikaSaha's blog and commented:
    A great news ! :D

29. aratrikasaha on February 4, 2014 at 10:04 pm

I am sure this will be a great album too(like all the others),but this time I am really hoping it to cross the bar i.e be something that people will be humming all day long,every time(even the linkin park haters)and it will sway the world along with it :D

30. oskarbu on February 4, 2014 at 9:54 pm

The living things CD, i pre-ordered NEVER arrived at my house…

31. abgop on February 4, 2014 at 11:27 am

Love the video!

32. irene0kay on February 4, 2014 at 9:25 am

Can’t wait! Ok I meant… I can wait… But I’m very excited for some new music… More bass lines please! I love the bass! and more rappy raps too!

33. AdieK84 on February 4, 2014 at 9:07 am

Reblogged this on Linkin Park Fan Corner and commented:
    Great news from the studio! I can’t wait to hear the new songs especially as it seems that the next album will be fully self-produced! 100% Linkin Park…sounds cool! Though with a work schedule of 10-12 hours a day the album might just end up sounding realllyyyy tiiiired *yawn*

34. evooba on February 4, 2014 at 7:16 am

I won’t deny the fact that I indeed am excited to listen to the new stuff, like always, but let me be honest; The idea of putting an album out so early and in such a sort notice (cause from what I’ve seen it hasn’t been long since you started working on it, I may be wrong about this btw) kind of scares me. I know you are professionals, multi feaking talented people that everything you touch turns into musical goodness but I’m unfortunately having doubts here. I really hope you’ll prove me wrong when the album comes out, I really do. Yay for self producing it (it was about time!), jamming and trying new things!

Sorry if its a bad comment, just sharing my thoughts here :)

• nungrutaifaz on February 4, 2014 at 7:31 am

Evooba don’t worry, they’ve been working on this new album for a pretty long time lol. They work on the road as well, so it technically would be over a year since they’ve started working. Can’t wait for it to come out! I hope it’s really really different from everything else you guys have done… I love how your work never sounds the same or like anything else. Quite refreshing :)

35. dinu2604 on February 4, 2014 at 5:50 am

I Love Linkin Park
    I really can’t wait for the coming album
    plzzz release it as soon as possible mike
    ALL THE BEST LINKIN PARK
    HOPE SO UR NEW ALBUM SHAKES THE WORLD

36. Braffschein on February 4, 2014 at 4:40 am

37. Andre Authority on February 4, 2014 at 3:06 am

Reblogged this on AndreAuthority.com and commented:
    don’t miss it

38. noirstrassenmusic on February 4, 2014 at 12:10 am

I am exceptionally excited to hear to the new tracks!

39. dcl1982 on February 3, 2014 at 10:12 pm

Interesting! I’m excited to hear the new stuff!

40. Braffschein on February 3, 2014 at 9:26 pm

WOW YOU REMEMBER THAT YOU HAVE A BLOG! You’ve been away from your blog for, like, ever. I’m glad something made you use it again.
    The thing is, I never expect anything from you guys because I know I’ll always be 102% wrong when the album is released. What I DO expect is a list of best 2013 songs from you, but I guess if you’re that busy with the new record, my priorities are all sorted out too. Make this album mindblowing. Make it the best thing you ever created. Make it to my country this year. (sorry, I couldn’t resist)

41. The Nameless One on February 3, 2014 at 8:46 pm

Can’t wait!
    Also is it just me or why is the entire blog shifted to the left?

42. kathyxx on February 3, 2014 at 7:30 pm

According to California weather, its summer now. So obvs the album comes out tomorrow.

43. ddropz on February 3, 2014 at 6:50 pm

That’s awesome can’t wait, hopefully a new song for Transformers 4!

44. angelab3 on February 3, 2014 at 6:15 pm

This update made me so excited for the record release I honestly don’t care about you guys returning to your roots or whatever, I know that no matter which direction you guys choose to go in you’ll do excellently. You guys put your heart and soul I to each album and I can’t wait to hear how that sounds this time! :)

45. yuisnow on February 3, 2014 at 5:08 pm

I know this album will be as good or better than everyone else. Love to have news of you, and I hope to continue working hard so knowing you have full support of the fans to linger as you need. Say hi to everyone for me. A fan and admirer, Yui õ / (Brazilian \ o /)

46. NephthysPhoenix on February 3, 2014 at 4:38 pm

Exciting :D!

47. jozzie8 on February 3, 2014 at 4:34 pm

Super excited for the new album. Is that Phoenix I see taking a nap over there?

48. nstoyan on February 3, 2014 at 4:24 pm

we need more updates on that!

49. argol8489 on February 3, 2014 at 4:20 pm

Really you had forgotten this blog, but I’m glad that soon we will hear something new from Linkin Park. Good luck guys!

50. crimsonstar88 on February 3, 2014 at 4:09 pm

I can’t wait for the next album. Really, the new sounds and messages blow my mind each time. I can tell this is going to be a great year for Linkin Park and the soldiers.

51. marsammie30 on February 3, 2014 at 3:55 pm

I’m very proud of the fact you guys are always finding a way to stay true to youselves but yet you all find ways of being creative, and for trying new things in the studio to keep it fresh and exciting. I can’t wait to hold the album in my hands, see the artwork and get lost in the new music. Thank you for working hard, your hard work will be greatly appreciated.

52. caroleeone on February 3, 2014 at 3:33 pm

I figured it was gonna be self-produced. I just knew it! Reading this makes me feel very excited and hopeful. I love that I don’t know what each album is going to sound like. Every album is a journey in my life and I’m glad I’ve stuck out with you guys this long.

Really can’t wait to hear LP2k14!! And another summer release too, oh boy. :D

53. YoMarquesLP on February 3, 2014 at 3:07 pm

Always love to read your posts/updates! Pretty excited about the new record, and I always have a huge amount of respect for all the work you guys do. Can’t wait to hear it!

54. Alexandra Nofi on February 3, 2014 at 2:59 pm

I think it’s been a long time coming for producing your own album. MTM and ATS were incredible follow-ups to the Meteora and Hybrid Theory style, so unfortunately Living Things left me a little underwhelmed. The term “jamming” has me concerned, because that has the potential to sound brilliant, or borderline silly. Don’t get me wrong, songs like Castle of Glass and The Messenger are some of your best “jams”. I dunno about other fans, but I don’t want to be surprised, taken to another world, scale a mountain, travel the universe, etc… Music is creative writing, and we write because we have something to say.

55. jaydalgliesh on February 3, 2014 at 2:45 pm

looking forward to your new tunes,bet you guys can’t wait for some chill time.:)

56. australiansouthpaw on February 3, 2014 at 2:15 pm

Hey Mike can’t wait for the album to be released, will there also be a making of DVD with the album?
    It would be interesting to see what the bands jamming process is like.
    Cheers

57. betuelmuecahit on February 3, 2014 at 2:07 pm

I hope so much for the band that the new studio brings you guys luck :)

Your fans love you !

58. elenallorente on February 3, 2014 at 1:58 pm

Mike, thank you very much for taking the time to let us know how are things at the studio!!! :D We are looking forward to listening to the new songs, I’m sure they will be asewome as always :)

59. mizerablesi on February 3, 2014 at 1:55 pm

We’re all looking forward to the new album. I think that any true Linkin Park fan knows that it doesn’t make sense trying to predict what the new album would sound like and I think that’s part of the fun and excitement for us. I was super lucky to have a tour of the studio thanks to Music For Relief and Omaze. I totally see why you like this new studio. The vibes and energy is very relaxed and it so doesn’t look like a traditional studio. I’m sure you guys will produce some magical music as always. Have fun recording. Can’t wait for the 2014 tour!

60. shoegaze4u on February 3, 2014 at 1:39 pm

Hey Mike! You guys look a little bit exhausted / concerned on the pic. Hope it’s not like this. I mean 10-12 hour in a studio is certainly not funny all the time;) I’m looking forward to the album and it’s surprising, that you are jamming together!
    I guess Chester brought that in from STP?

61. hybridhabit on February 3, 2014 at 1:34 pm

From what I read, really I can not wait to hear the new job that will surprise us. Good luck Linkin Park. I’ll be looking forward to. :)
    (And sorry for my bad english. I’m Mexican)

62. deadzeezorn on February 3, 2014 at 1:31 pm

No Surprise you guys working so hard as usual, say Hi to the band from Zee